Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Now What do I do?
by llama momma Today at 5:59 pm

» Ketchup - Really?
by llama momma Today at 5:55 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:17 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 4:32 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by sanderson Today at 4:03 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 4:03 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» Home grown duh maters... I lack'em reel gud.. lol
by MrBooker Today at 8:58 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by jimmy cee Today at 8:48 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by MrBooker Today at 8:47 am

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by MrBooker Today at 6:47 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 6:22 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:47 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ants in my compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ants in my compost

Post  mazzy on 5/30/2014, 3:46 pm

Hello,

I am in process of making my first compost using a tumble barrel type system.  I have a bunch of ants in it after the first day.  Is that unusual?

Mazzy

mazzy

Male Posts : 69

View user profile http://www.woodworkwonders.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ants in my compost

Post  steve638 on 1/4/2015, 7:58 pm

Soak the area with water. The ants will move on cause they don't like it.

steve638

Male Posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 1/4/2015, 10:59 pm

Tumble the heck out of them, I bet they don't like that either

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1805

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/5/2015, 12:27 am

Mazzy's back!!!!

Not the end of the world, compost wise, unless they are red ants. Some times I find Argentine ant nurseries when I turn the compost. Every adult grabbing an egg or larva and scurrying around. If the tumbler is on legs, you could lightly sprinkle DE or talc-based baby powder around the feet.

Post some updates. We miss you.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11707

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 1/5/2015, 2:27 pm

We make a goop from Vaseline, lots of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and garlic powder make it like a greasy thick paste and smear it around legs of your tumbler also around outdoor furniture legs and stuff.  The ants will not cross it.  We have those nasty fire ants that have a very bad bite.  They hate water like said earlier so when it rains they head for high ground like planter boxes compost piles and any raised bed surfaces even container pots I even found a next in a hanging basket.  We have tried lots of remedies and are forced to poison the mounds and smear the paste on furniture  

Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 490

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/5/2015, 2:41 pm

Red Imported Fire Ants?  RIFA?  Yikes.   What a Face  You have to do what you have to do! get that pesky wabbi

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 1/5/2015, 6:54 pm

I truly hate using poison and only use it on the mounds.  We have tried every thing and the only other thing that works is soak the mounds with gas wait a few minutes and then burn the gas off.  I cant do that however cause they crop up next to stuff like garden boxes and trees and such I hate to poison them but if you have ever been bitten by a fire ant you understand and know why I do. 

Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 490

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/6/2015, 1:22 am

I've seen the bites, and no thank you. Boiling water? These art castings show how intricate the colonies are.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ant+Hill+Metal+Sculpture&FORM=RESTAB

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Neem oil

Post  Windmere on 1/6/2015, 4:01 pm

Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/6/2015, 4:17 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the idea.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/6/2015, 6:38 pm

@Windmere wrote:Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink

How long does the neem work.  Does it was off with the rain. 

We are over run with ants in my yard.  I have used poison on hills on the outside of my garden.  Then used boiling water inside a bed when it becomes empty.  If it is not empty, I try cinnamon.  It will not kill them but many times they move out of the bed.  This year I am going to try the boric acid and corn syrup recipe.

yolos

Female Posts : 2791

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 1/6/2015, 6:52 pm

@yolos wrote:
@Windmere wrote:Just wanted to add my two cents about preventing ants from going to somewhere they want to be (but where you DON'T want them to be)....  I rub pure neem oil on their paths.  For example, with our hummingbird feeder and for our suet cages, rubbing neem oil on their supporting wires, etc.  keeps them at bay.  This process doesn't require mixing of stuff, so it's very convenient.  Works for me every time Wink

How long does the neem work.  Does it was off with the rain. 

We are over run with ants in my yard.  I have used poison on hills on the outside of my garden.  Then used boiling water inside a bed when it becomes empty.  If it is not empty, I try cinnamon.  It will not kill them but many times they move out of the bed.  This year I am going to try the boric acid and corn syrup recipe.
Well, for me, it lasts quite some time... months...  HOWEVER... our hummingbird feeder and our suet cage are under a porch or roof awning, so there is not problem with rain.  Depending on the consistency of the oil you use, I'm thinking longevity with rainy conditions might vary.  I have two kinds... one is very viscous, while the other is a bit "runny."  I use the thicker version for rubbing on wires.  The thicker one was more expensive and it stinks A LOT more.  Must be more concentrated I guess.

I actually bought some boric acid at the end of summer because of ants trying to get into our kitchen.  When a freak cold snap occurred, they went away on their own  (??).  I have the boric acid ready though!  Oddly, I found it hard to get boric acid.  The only place that had it around here was mom and pop pharmacy called Jones Pharmacy in Fayetteville.  Since you drive 85 from time to time, you pass it.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/6/2015, 6:57 pm

I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).

yolos

Female Posts : 2791

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 1/6/2015, 7:13 pm

@yolos wrote:I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).
Hey, you were lucky!  My Kroger pharmacist actually referred me to Jones 'cause he didn't have any.  Jones ain't cheap!  (Eye care???)

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 1/6/2015, 10:16 pm

@yolos wrote:I found some Boric acid in Kroger last year.  They carry it in the aisle with the eye care products for some reason.  ????  (yes, I drive by Jones Pharmacy every day).
My dad had an artificial eye, when he removed it nightly it was soaked in a solution of boric acid.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 1/7/2015, 12:46 pm

Just be careful with the boric acid does not build up in the growing beds.  Some plants are very sensitive to it.  I used to make a mix of boric acid and peanut butter and syrup and put it on nests.  Supposedly the workers will bring it to the queen to eat the tasty treat and the boric acid will kill her.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 1/8/2015, 8:18 am

Ant - Pest Control

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth on 3/23/2015, 1:56 pm

In SOCAL I doubt that you have Red Ants AKA Fire Ants.  Saturday we were working in the yard and I stepped in a Red Ant mound.  I had on flip flops.  My feet  have at least 2 dozen bites then I got bites on my hands brushing them off of my feet. 

Yesterday my feet were hurting so badly from the bites that I could not put on closed shoes.  This morning I popped the blisters with a sterile needle then treated them with peroxide, rubbing alcohol and antibiotic cream. 

I do not like using chemicals but when it comes to killing fire ants I show no mercy.  Beware - here comes the ORTHO.

FA's in my compost or garden beds present a problem.  ORTHO will kill the necessary microbes along with the ants.  I disturb the nest then douse it with boiling water.  They move to another area where I can attack them with the ORTHO.

Try boiling water.  It will at least make them move away from your compost.

Good luck

Ants are a problem on my hummingbird feeders.  I use plain petroleum jelly on the hanger.  I don't have to add anything to it.  The ants get suck and can not reach the feeder.  Same thing with the legs of patio furniture.  Adding Cayenne does not increase the effectiveness. 

Good luck

Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 3/23/2015, 7:24 pm

@Elizabeth wrote:In SOCAL I doubt that you have Red Ants AKA Fire Ants.  Saturday we were working in the yard and I stepped in a Red Ant mound.  I had on flip flops.  My feet  have at least 2 dozen bites then I got bites on my hands brushing them off of my feet. 

Yesterday my feet were hurting so badly from the bites that I could not put on closed shoes.  This morning I popped the blisters with a sterile needle then treated them with peroxide, rubbing alcohol and antibiotic cream. 

I do not like using chemicals but when it comes to killing fire ants I show no mercy.  Beware - here comes the ORTHO.

FA's in my compost or garden beds present a problem.  ORTHO will kill the necessary microbes along with the ants.  I disturb the nest then douse it with boiling water.  They move to another area where I can attack them with the ORTHO.

Try boiling water.  It will at least make them move away from your compost.

Good luck

Ants are a problem on my hummingbird feeders.  I use plain petroleum jelly on the hanger.  I don't have to add anything to it.  The ants get suck and can not reach the feeder.  Same thing with the legs of patio furniture.  Adding Cayenne does not increase the effectiveness. 

Good luck
Elizabeth, I rub pure neem oil on our hummingbird feeder's hanging wire and the ants stay away for quite some time.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 3/23/2015, 8:26 pm

You don't want to control them, repel them, kill them. All that's going to do is rebuild their reserve. You need to eliminate the colony, how to do that with fire ants may need professional help.
As in termite control, their colonies are eliminated now with the relatively new product.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/24/2015, 8:55 am

The key to getting rid of an ant nest is to remove the queen. Turning the compost pile will certainly disrupt the nest. If the pile is kept significantly moist, it will generally be inhospitable for ants to keep a nest there.

haas, thanks for that link.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum