Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:07 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England June 2014

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England June 2014

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/13/2014, 9:52 am

@camprn wrote:use a board trap

Slugs don't like my boards.  No  I have better luck luck using sea clam shells. But not much. Beer beer and more beer!

Pouring rain here right now! We might get .3 of an inch.  What a Face 

My mom arrived last night for the summer! I'll have her out gardening with me in no time! I plants 'em and she cuts 'em down.
 Wink 

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/13/2014, 10:10 am

Yeah, my slugs cover such a large garden area that I'd have to have a lot of boards out there. Actually I get a lot just by plucking them. Today it's really raining, but when it clears I need to go out there, I'm sure there will be no shortage of slugs...

And I tried the beer one year, but they were drinking more beer than I was, and I was paying the tab, so that didn't add up...

I really need ducks, but winter is an issue for them, they need fresh water.

Your mother's lucky CC! Mine is supposed to come up for strawberry season, but it's a big trip now for her by herself, so we'll see.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/13/2014, 1:36 pm

NHGaqrdener.....You'll have to google raising ducks.  I don't think they need fresh water other than to drink in the winter.  They don't need to swim.  I was hoping to have 3 ducks myself so learned quite a bit but my son vetoed the idea.  Its his house and land and besides, I was getting older and taking care of farm stock would have meant more work for me.  I'm glad I abided by his decision.
Housing can be an extra large insulated doghouse if need be with straw for bedding.  They don't need nest boxes because they lay eggs always at night and anywhere they can snuggle in.  Check it out.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP on 6/13/2014, 3:46 pm

RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 140

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/13/2014, 4:00 pm

Thanks QB - I was under the impression they needed to at least dunk their heads, if not splash around, in the winter. However, even hauling non-frozen water all the way down to the chicken coop daily, which I do in winter, is a chore. The spouse isn't crazy about the chickens and really isn't crazy about the prospect of ducks, so that's holding me off too... Maybe someday.

I just pulled about 50 or so slugs off the green bean plants, and about 15 off the new pepper plants. One pepper plant had about 5 small slugs on it.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/13/2014, 6:52 pm

My son wasn't too keen on them evacuating across his nice green lawn so that meant no ducks.  I tried for chickens first, but that didn't work either.

I'm afraid to check on my garden peppers after this rain.  I hope some of them are still left.  Thank goodness I put some in the flower bed (they seem safe enuf for now) and a couple in large pots.  I'm crossing my fingers a few of them make it to production.
S

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/13/2014, 8:51 pm

You're not alone QB, my spouse feels the same way. Oh well. The manure is such a great thing, too....

Went back out to the garden at dusk and pulled another 200-300 slugs. I think I'm going to have to buy more pepper plants. Also found slugs on the potato plants for the first time, and even the vine plants. The asparagus, the broccoli, a couple tomato plants... they pretty much equal opportunity munchers, except for garlic which I guess they don't like, and I'm not seeing them on the potato onions.

It's time to make up a batch of that garlic broth spray and spray everything. Especially if I buy new pepper plants (if the place still has them).

This rain was very nice, now let's get on with summer again...

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/14/2014, 3:29 pm

Now I have received the DE that I ordered from Amazon.  Do you all just put down the powder around the plants (in my case Hostas) or do you dissolve it in liquid and spray it on the plant itself?  I also bought one of those gallon sprayer things.  

Picture of sprayer thing

On another subject, how much rain did you all get?  I think I got almost two inches!  Are you kidding me?  My tomatoes need some sunlight!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/14/2014, 3:56 pm

I got 1 and 3/5ths inches of rain since Friday nite.  The sun is shining now and its a lovely 69F here at 4 pm.  Love it.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/14/2014, 4:12 pm

@cpl100 wrote:Now I have received the DE that I ordered from Amazon.  Do you all just put down the powder around the plants (in my case Hostas) or do you dissolve it in liquid and spray it on the plant itself?  I also bought one of those gallon sprayer things.  

Picture of sprayer thing

On another subject, how much rain did you all get?  I think I got almost two inches!  Are you kidding me?  My tomatoes need some sunlight!
what does the label say to do?

My spinach is starting to bolt. I harvested 2+#.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/14/2014, 4:39 pm

@camprn wrote:
@cpl100 wrote:Now I have received the DE that I ordered from Amazon.  Do you all just put down the powder around the plants (in my case Hostas) or do you dissolve it in liquid and spray it on the plant itself?  I also bought one of those gallon sprayer things.  

Picture of sprayer thing

what does the label say to do?

My spinach is starting to bolt. I harvested 2+#.
It is food grade DE and the label appears to think I am going to use it on animals rather than plants.  I know in the past I have sprinkled it on the earth.  But recently I have read (I think on this website) that others mix it with water and spray it on the foliage.  I cannot seem to discern the reason for one method vs. the other nor which, if any, is preferable.  So looking for opinions or prior experience from those more knowledgeable.

Thanks!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/14/2014, 4:59 pm

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apply-diatomaceous-earth-vegetable-gardens-45493.html

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/14/2014, 8:38 pm

@camprn wrote:http://homeguides.sfgate.com/apply-diatomaceous-earth-vegetable-gardens-45493.html
Thank you.  I did also find a few other discussions here on SFG about DE.

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 6/15/2014, 9:50 am

Spotted the first asparagus beetles yesterday.  I usually get the "common" beetle, but last year I saw some of the orange ones, and they were the ones I nabbed yesterday.  I imagine the rest of you New Englanders have probably been seeing them before now, but just in case, be on the watch!

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/15/2014, 10:41 am

About rain and garden needs:  I know I've read that a garden needs one inch per water per week.  I got about two inches over the past few days.  Does that mean I do not have to water for over a week no matter what the rest of the weather is?  This always confuses me.  I know people say stick your finger down into the soil to check, but I wanted a guideline without doing that!  (lazy, I know...)

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 6/15/2014, 11:13 am

@cpl100 wrote:About rain and garden needs:  I know I've read that a garden needs one inch per water per week.  I got about two inches over the past few days.  Does that mean I do not have to water for over a week no matter what the rest of the weather is?  This always confuses me.  I know people say stick your finger down into the soil to check, but I wanted a guideline without doing that!  (lazy, I know...)

cpl100 - I get confused about the same thing. I had been watering my young plants regularly to keep the soil moist. Later on I'll push it to 1 inch/wk. I get frustrated when I water and then the next day it pours when the weather reports indicates no rain - only clouds. I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to this question.

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/15/2014, 11:54 am

Here's a few things I know about gardening. From books we get guidance and science about growing things and what they need. Wisdom comes with the doing and practice, reading the weather and watching the life of the garden. Take heed of any signs in the garden and think, use what you know and research what you don't,  then act. There is an art of gardening, a balance of what you must do, or not,  to have success. You can't find that in any chart.

Regarding watering, young plants need constant moisture. They will need more water as they get bigger. Some plants require a lot of water when putting on fruit ( eggplants, tomatoes). Others not so much (kale, basil). Watering needs vary depending on a lot of things.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 6/15/2014, 12:33 pm

@camprn wrote:Here's a few things I know about gardening. From books we get guidance and science about growing things and what they need. Wisdom comes with the doing and practice, reading the weather and watching the life of the garden. Take heed of any signs in the garden and think, use what you know and research what you don't,  then act. There is an art of gardening, a balance of what you must do, or not,  to have success. You can't find that in any chart.

Regarding watering, young plants need constant moisture. They will need more water as they get bigger. Some plants require a lot of water when putting on fruit ( eggplants, tomatoes). Others not so much (kale, basil). Watering needs vary depending on a lot of things.

Thanks Camprn, that's very helpful ;-)

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/15/2014, 2:30 pm

@camprn wrote:Here's a few things I know about gardening. From books we get guidance and science about growing things and what they need. Wisdom comes with the doing and practice, reading the weather and watching the life of the garden. Take heed of any signs in the garden and think, use what you know and research what you don't,  then act. There is an art of gardening, a balance of what you must do, or not,  to have success. You can't find that in any chart.

Okay...read, watch and learn...  but what about that one inch guideline and the rain?  I am so confused!  Thanks!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/15/2014, 2:41 pm

As I said, smaller plants require near constant moisture, which may be less than an inch a week if the weather is cool. Larger plants, or when it is hot out, may require more than an inch a week. 

Forget about the inch a week.

Water well every few days, but not if you know rain is coming, unless the beds are dry.

Beds should never get dry or your plants will die.  Wink 

MULCH IS YOUR FRIEND! okay

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/15/2014, 9:39 pm

@camprn wrote:As I said, smaller plants require near constant moisture, which may be less than an inch a week if the weather is cool. Larger plants, or when it is hot out, may require more than an inch a week. 

Forget about the inch a week.

Water well every few days, but not if you know rain is coming, unless the beds are dry.

Beds should never get dry or your plants will die.  Wink 

MULCH IS YOUR FRIEND! okay
Okay, I will try to forget about it.....

....yeah, it's kind of stuck  Rolling Eyes  in there so I'll have to try to just ignore it instead.

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/15/2014, 10:21 pm

Every night I'm pulling slug duty now. I must get close to 100 each night. Maybe tomorrow I'll make that garlic stew spray.

Did I mention my squash plant has 2 baby squashes?

No rain right now in the forecast, so watering today. It helps when they stay damp.

And the dried beans are coming up already.

That's the garden report for father's day.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 6/15/2014, 10:50 pm

I am so far behind!  It just seems like time keeps whizzing by faster & faster.

Today I had hoped to get the starts I bought at the nursery 2 WEEKS ago into the ground...did I get to that? 

NO.

Instead, DH & I spent all day spreading a new 4" thick layer of bark mulch down between the SFG beds.  We got a 3-yard load delivered last week and it looks like we might end up using all of it.  We called it quits early-ish (6 or so) because both of our throats were all scratchy from the damnable PINE POLLEN which has decided to make an appearance.   I swear those pines know when it's going to rain and time their release on a dry day to maximize air time. 

But anyway, back to the mulch: we've still got about half-way to go, but it's looking really nice and neat now.  The weeds had been sneaking into the fenced in area since late last summer and I spent all of yesterday pulling weeds, that's how many had gotten in, mostly around the perimeters, but some between the beds also.

OH!  But I forgot: we also planted 4 blueberry bushes this morning.  I guess that did eat up a bit of the day.  We're up to 10 new bushes this year in 3 varieties: Jersey, Northblue and Northland.  They all vary in mature height and in harvest times, so we'll have an extended season, hopefully.

The strawberries are starting to fill out but are still green and hard as a rock.  I'm going to have to make a hardware cloth mini-critter cage because I surprised the Chipmunk in there today checking them out, and I just don't feel like sharing with him after what he did to my sunflowers.   So there, Chippy.

All in all, a good day in the garden.  I hope all you SFG daddies had a good Father's Day also.

P.S. Jessica, try some of those beneficial nematodes on your slugs.  There's got to be a place near you that carries them.

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/16/2014, 7:19 am

Molly, you may not have gotten to your annuals, but you were super productive! Spreading mulch is a big job, and 4" will be great! I've been scrounging our pile of rotting logs for mulch and have carted maybe 30 wheelbarrows to the garden so far this season, spreading it mainly between rows (on top of cardboard), on top of some beds for mulch. It is so nice to walk in the mulched parts of the garden, so springy soft and pretty much no weeds. This project will probably go on for years... It's kind of addicting. The areas that I covered with cardboard and then with wood mulch have been nice and weed free! Except for the occasional, and I expect I'll need to put another couple layers on before it's truly functional.

And it's always good to plant blueberry bushes! As with fruit trees, it will take a few years anyway to get running, so that makes planting them a priority. We have a few planted, and transplanted a few that were growing wild in the wooded area. You can't have too many blueberry bushes.

Got the first three red strawberries out of the garden yesterday! My 90 y.o. mother is flying in next week, specifically for the strawberries, so good timing. Smile

Hot and beautiful the next few days!

P.S. - Bringing parasites in (nematodes) makes me nervous. I think I might try the garlic spray first.

P.S.S. - Camp, I think you're right, being consistently damp does seem to be almost required for some seedlings. It's such a pain to do that every day, but they start to wilt, and then you water, and then they perk right up. Lucky are those people who have those drip hoses laid out.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 6/16/2014, 9:09 am

@NHGardener wrote:(snip)

P.S. - Bringing parasites in (nematodes) makes me nervous. I think I might try the garlic spray first.

(snip)

I know what you mean.  I'm so uber-cautious in the garden, especially when I see the birds going in between the plants and flying off with a juicy caterpillar that I'd somehow missed.  It really gives me joy to see the creatures the garden attracts, all doing their "thing".  The birds get all in there between the plants looking for a snack and the last thing I would want to do is poison that which they eat. 

Same with the beneficial insects.  I have a bumble bee colony right under my front stoop this year!  Being as they're underground dwellers, I was careful to give "their" area a wide berth when I applied the BNs this year, just-in-case.

I did quite a bit of reading about the beneficial nematodes last year before I started using them and, as with everything, you do need to use them judiciously, but as it appears, they're already present in the soil, so I'm just giving the current residents an extra boost of companionship to get the job done quicker.

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum