Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 10:53 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England June 2014

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England June 2014

Post  camprn on 6/4/2014, 10:43 pm

I dont really have any money for more plants right now so I may just go buy some strawberries at the farm in a few weeks.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/4/2014, 11:24 pm

You can come get some of mine if you want camprn... Well, they're ready to produce, but right after that. I have extra runners.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/5/2014, 3:03 am

CC, thank you for the tour of your lovely garden.  Very Happy  I think the head lamp comes with red and green light capability. With the red, the bugs won't fly towards you.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12295

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 6/6/2014, 9:13 am

Thoughts please! What might be eating the strawberries? The only insects I've seen in the strawberry bed are ants and daddy longlegs. Checking for slugs and such at night but have seen nothing. I have netted the garden for larger critters, but I have seen a chipmunk scoot through the yard. Could he be the culprit for this type of damage?

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/6/2014, 9:43 am

@lyndeeloo wrote:Thoughts please! What might be eating the strawberries? The only insects I've seen in the strawberry bed are ants and daddy longlegs. Checking for slugs and such at night but have seen nothing. I have netted the garden for larger critters, but I have seen a chipmunk scoot through the yard. Could he be the culprit for this type of damage?
all my strawberries look like that. In my garden its pill bugs. I'm just grateful they leave me the other part. I guess if we want whole strawberries we need to put them in a raised bed or pots.

Meanwhile, Miss Lily is proud to present, live this morning on Cape Cod, tomatoes!
...and the crowd roars!  cheers 
Those black cherries are amazing! It was the first one out in early spring & now the first one to produce, and it was the last one producing last year into the winter.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/6/2014, 9:55 am

@lyndeeloo wrote:Thoughts please! What might be eating the strawberries? The only insects I've seen in the strawberry bed are ants and daddy longlegs. Checking for slugs and such at night but have seen nothing. I have netted the garden for larger critters, but I have seen a chipmunk scoot through the yard. Could he be the culprit for this type of damage?
Personally, I think it just might be that chipmunk!  My first year planting tomatoes they started taking bites of them.  (That was when they came off my 'live and let live' list.  If they were hungry and ate a whole tomato, that would be one thing.  But to just take random bites of many tomatoes was a different thing--to me anyway.)  JMHO

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/6/2014, 9:58 am

CC, I thought I was going to get the earliest of tomatoes since I bought a plant (at Mahoneys) called Fourth of July and the tag said it was the first to produce.  So much for that thought I guess!  Lucky you!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/6/2014, 10:12 am

that's  looking like slug damage. lay a thin board between the plants on the soil surface. Tomorrow morning check for slugs on the underside of the board...

IN other news, my first frost date is in 126 days. Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino on 6/6/2014, 10:41 am

We have the same damage, and it is definitely chipmunks...this is a banner year for 'monks.  Yesterday I set a rat trap under the bird net in the raised bed by the sunroom.  While we were sitting in the sunroom finishing our dinner glass of wine, we heard the SNAP!  looked out and that was the end of the 'monk, the 'monk, the 'monk.  But he has lots of friends and relatives who will eat every red berry and then eat start on the green ones, too.  Nonna

Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kensadams on 6/6/2014, 10:58 am

Chipmunks did a ton of damage last year to my tomatoes and to some of the strawberries (which were a bit harder to get to) - no issues once I put bird netting around the fruit/tomatoes

kensadams

Male Posts : 14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/6/2014, 11:06 am

I don't know if chipmunks would make that small of a bite. They'd be more likely to stuff the whole things in their mouths or eat most of it, I would think.

I've seen slug damage like that on my strawberries.

One way to tell is just go out on a damp night (preferably drizzly) with a flashlight and see if they aren't crawling out.

I hate slugs.

PS - I hope you're just cutting that part off and eating the rest.  Very Happy 

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/6/2014, 11:21 am

@NHGardener wrote:I don't know if chipmunks would make that small of a bite. They'd be more likely to stuff the whole things in their mouths or eat most of it, I would think.

I've seen slug damage like that on my strawberries.

One way to tell is just go out on a damp night (preferably drizzly) with a flashlight and see if they aren't crawling out.

I hate slugs.

PS - I hope you're just cutting that part off and eating the rest.  Very Happy 
I am not claiming to be an expert, but when they found they enjoyed my tomatoes, they took just one bite of many tomatoes.  That was their downfall!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 6/6/2014, 5:24 pm

When tomatoes have one area removed like a bite, it could also be a tomato horn worm.  They not only chew off the tomato leaves, they cross over your tomatoes and take a chew here and there, too.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/6/2014, 5:43 pm

@camprn wrote:
IN other news, my first frost date is in 126 days. Wink

Oh, yippee...  Why'd ya have to bring THAT up?       silly me

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3792

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 6/6/2014, 9:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the strawberry info. I'm hoping it's slugs or pill bugs because I would have no problem doing them in. Hurting a chippy, I'm not sure I could harm them. I know they are destructive but they are so darn cute.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 6/6/2014, 10:08 pm

Oh yuck. Went out to hunt June bugs and check strawberries and stepped in a pile of dog vomit fungus growing in the grass by the garden. Thank God I wasn't wearing slippers. I'd never seen it up close before, it really is disgusting. Wasn't a complete loss though, bagged a dozen fat June bugs before the fungus incident.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/7/2014, 11:14 am

Well, I'm having a pepper crisis. The peppers I put out there several weeks back are not looking good if they're even still alive at all. I checked the library plant sale this morning, they didn't have peppers. I even peeked at Lowes last night when I was there for something else, and they had no green bell pepper plants - they had other kinds of peppers. I'm not really keen on big box veggie plants anyway. I could run half an hour to the greenhouse and probably find healthy pepper plants at premium prices.

So is it too late to start peppers at this point in any fashion, whether indoor or direct seeding outdoors? I know my peppers usually just get rolling by the time the season ends, so of course I'm thinking yes.

Hmm.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/7/2014, 11:56 am

For me peppers are so slow and take so long to grow that I wouldn't bother to start one now.. I was at Agway yesterday and noticed that they have tons of peppers, six packs, 3 packs, 1 pack. You have an Agway in your area? And how did your peppers get out so early? Mine just went out on Tuesday.

Speaking of Agway, I was  using my $5 coupon for some seeds and happened to mention that some of the asparagus crowns I bought there had fungus on them. So the guy gives me another pack and said, here take these. He didn't even charge me! I didn't tell him how much I hate planting asparagus because walking out of there with 10 asparagus crowns and three new packs of seeds all for nothing was too exciting!

This morning I went to the back of my garage and found a bunch of red bliss and Yukon Gold sprouted potatoes that I had missed. I found a spot in the perennial gardens and stuck them all in there. Don't know how they'll do but we'll see. Just hope I have enough wood chips to keep covering them because my compost pile is just about depleted.

Oh, and on an excellent note, we got two thirds of an inch of rain Thursday! Yea! it knocked all the oak beards of the trees so its kinda messy around here. I'll have to blow later but I don't mind that. And the pollen is still falling. Everything is yellow again.

The SFG is doing really well!   I side dressed the bulbing and potato onions with compost yesterday. I know it's a bit late but my thinking is better late than never. The spinach and mustard greens are bolting. I'm going to save seeds from the last to bolt.

Anyone have cucumbers, squash, melons and bush beans growing yet?  I'm very excited about trying out these p.m. resistant cucumbers - Marketmore and Burpless. Have any New Englanders grown those yet? If so, how did it go?

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 6/7/2014, 12:09 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Anyone have cucumbers, squash, melons and bush beans growing yet?  I'm very excited about trying out these p.m. resistant cucumbers - Marketmore and Burpless. Have any New Englanders grown those yet? If so, how did it go?
I've got pickling cukes, yellow and zucchini squash, top crop, contender and French filet bush beans and sugar baby watermelon planted. The beans have taken off and the picklers are starting to grow now. All my squash plants are small and have yellow leaves. Don't have high hopes for them. Watermelon just sprouted. We planted marketmore last year and it did ok. We like the pickling cukes so much that we planted just those this year. 10 squares,  we really love them.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/7/2014, 2:11 pm

Oh! Agway - I forgot all about Agway. I'll have to check them! Yeah, I figured it was too late to start peppers. I don't know how they got into the garden so early. They snuck out there when I wasn't looking........

About the rain, I remember a gardening class once where they told us the garden needs 1" of water a week. I don't have a guage, but it helps to remember that a couple of sprinkles do not make an inch. I probably do need to water today.

I transplanted the vines day before yesterday. So far, so good. There were already some growing out there from my last transplant batch, and they look healthy. Pretty soon will be time to throw a tunnel over them. Don't let us forget when the time rolls around! Don't want to deal with the SVB this year...

No bush beans, but pole beans are doing well! I have a bale of straw, I'll have to side dress the potato onions with that, maybe today.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/7/2014, 2:52 pm

Friday evening cocktails and trellis weaving.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 6/7/2014, 3:15 pm

The first set of bush beans (purple haricot verts) that I put out two weeks ago just pushed through the soil yesterday.  I put in another square yesterday.  I have high hopes for these!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/7/2014, 5:43 pm

I don't see ANY cocktails in those photos.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 6/7/2014, 5:44 pm

I didn't go to Agway for peppers today, but I did go to Blue Seal, which is closer. "We had LOTS of bell pepper plants earlier this week..."

UGH. Peppers are conspiring against me. I may have to make do with the few measley plants I have out there.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/7/2014, 5:46 pm

@NHGardener wrote:I don't see ANY cocktails in those photos.

Given how crooked a couple of those trellis poles are, maybe she drank them already!  Wink

(Every year I'm impressed with her 'ropemanship'.)

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum