Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 1:05 am

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by yolos Yesterday at 10:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:06 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:44 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:39 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» Ayrshire Newbie
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:53 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee 10/17/2017, 8:40 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals 10/17/2017, 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals 10/17/2017, 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan 10/17/2017, 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson 10/17/2017, 12:17 am

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Harvest Planting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fall Harvest Planting

Post  yolos on 6/13/2014, 10:15 pm

I was researching to find when I should start seeding my fall vegetables and came across this excel spreadsheet from Johnny's Seeds.  It takes into account the date to maturity and the fact that growth of vegetables are slower in the fall.  You will need to know your first frost date.  At the bottom of the spreadsheet is how they calculate the planting dates.  If you know how to manipulate an excel spreadsheet you could easily make any changes based upon your experience or variety of each vegetable.


Go to the second paragraph of the link below and there is an underlined partial sentence that says, "FALL PLANTING CALCULATOR".

Click on that link.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/v-45-recommended-summer-planting-for-fall-harvest.aspx?categoryid=12&source=H_BrocArcadia_062014_R2Rec1img
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3265
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  yolos on 6/13/2014, 10:27 pm

Yicks - for my first fall frost date it says to plant Brussel Sprouts on June 30 and advises to start fall crops inside 4 weeks before transplanting.  I am late already.  I had to scrap my Brussel Sprouts I planted in the spring because they had not even started to form sprouts and I needed the space to plant summer squash.  I thought I could plant them in the fall when I normally plant Broccoli (Sept 1 for me).  NOOOOOO.  Anybody in the south grow brussel sprouts.  When do you plant them.  I have never eaten them before but would love to try some fresh ones.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3265
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/14/2014, 7:39 am

Nice calculator, Yolos.  Thanks for the info.
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4272
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  donnainzone5 on 6/14/2014, 11:56 am

Yes, thanks, Yolo!

I'd better fire up my seed-starting station again soon!
avatar
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2164
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 70
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  boffer on 6/14/2014, 1:23 pm

Thanks, yolos.

It's hard to believe that it's time  for some of us to think about fall planting.  It's only been 3 weeks since I turned off my lights for spring/summer stuff.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's too hot to start seedlings.  In the spring, we start indoor seedlings because it's too cold outside.  For fall planting, we start seedlings indoors because it's too hot outside.

The timing of fall planting is more difficult than for spring.  In the spring, we know that sooner or later it will warm up, and plants that are stagnant will begin to grow.  In the fall, we have to be careful of the summer heat, yet we don't know when the cold temps will arrive that slow the growth of our plants, and keep them from reaching maturity.  Fall planting can be a crap shoot!

Besides the link posted above, be sure to check in your regional forums to see when others in your climate are beginning their starts.
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Too late for broccoli?

Post  Windmere on 7/29/2014, 9:42 am

Yolos, thanks for posting this fall planting guide link.  I see planting date of broccoli is July 7, so perhaps I am too late.  I thought I might try this fall season.  What do folks think about planting now and if ok, which are best varieties (very disease resistant)?

PS: I've done a little research, and I've read that Marathon is a good variety for winter.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  yolos on 7/29/2014, 10:49 am

Windmere wrote:Yolos, thanks for posting this fall planting guide link.  I see planting date of broccoli is July 7, so perhaps I am too late.  I thought I might try this fall season.  What do folks think about planting now and if ok, which are best varieties (very disease resistant)?

PS: I've done a little research, and I've read that Marathon is a good variety for winter.

What date are you using as your first frost date ?.  Pike's (for the last two years) started carrying their fall transplants just about 9/1.  That is the date that an old time farmer (farms out east of here near I20) said that broccoli transplants should be set out.  So your date of setting out transplants on 7/7 may be off (or are you saying to start seeds indoors on 7/7).  The planting guide is for transplant date (or if designated as DS, then direct sow).  Last year I transplanted Broccoli into the garden about 9/1.  I did have to use season extending (covering with row cover) at some point before harvest.
I am kind of worn out gardening.  Our season is so long.  If Pike's or Swint's sell transplants, then I will do a fall garden.  Last year both companies sold Pacman and Premium broccoli.  I experimented with about 6 varieties two years ago but that was the first time for me trying a fall garden that I didn't get good results.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3265
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  Windmere on 7/29/2014, 12:06 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Yolos, thanks for posting this fall planting guide link.  I see planting date of broccoli is July 7, so perhaps I am too late.  I thought I might try this fall season.  What do folks think about planting now and if ok, which are best varieties (very disease resistant)?

PS: I've done a little research, and I've read that Marathon is a good variety for winter.

What date are you using as your first frost date ?.  Pike's (for the last two years) started carrying their fall transplants just about 9/1.  That is the date that an old time farmer (farms out east of here near I20) said that broccoli transplants should be set out.  So your date of setting out transplants on 7/7 may be off (or are you saying to start seeds indoors on 7/7).  The planting guide is for transplant date (or if designated as DS, then direct sow).  Last year I transplanted Broccoli into the garden about 9/1.  I did have to use season extending (covering with row cover) at some point before harvest.
I am kind of worn out gardening.  Our season is so long.  If Pike's or Swint's sell transplants, then I will do a fall garden.  Last year both companies sold Pacman and Premium broccoli.  I experimented with about 6 varieties two years ago but that was the first time for me trying a fall garden that I didn't get good results.
I think the Johnny's Seeds guide was for seed planting.  I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and try planting seeds inside and then transplanting.  Thanks for guidance about 9/1 transplanting date.  We'll see what happens. cherry
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  yolos on 7/29/2014, 4:13 pm

Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Yolos, thanks for posting this fall planting guide link.  I see planting date of broccoli is July 7, so perhaps I am too late.  I thought I might try this fall season.  What do folks think about planting now and if ok, which are best varieties (very disease resistant)?

PS: I've done a little research, and I've read that Marathon is a good variety for winter.

What date are you using as your first frost date ?.  Pike's (for the last two years) started carrying their fall transplants just about 9/1.  That is the date that an old time farmer (farms out east of here near I20) said that broccoli transplants should be set out.  So your date of setting out transplants on 7/7 may be off (or are you saying to start seeds indoors on 7/7).  The planting guide is for transplant date (or if designated as DS, then direct sow).  Last year I transplanted Broccoli into the garden about 9/1.  I did have to use season extending (covering with row cover) at some point before harvest.
I am kind of worn out gardening.  Our season is so long.  If Pike's or Swint's sell transplants, then I will do a fall garden.  Last year both companies sold Pacman and Premium broccoli.  I experimented with about 6 varieties two years ago but that was the first time for me trying a fall garden that I didn't get good results.
I think the Johnny's Seeds guide was for seed planting.  I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and try planting seeds inside and then transplanting.  Thanks for guidance about 9/1 transplanting date.  We'll see what happens. cherry


I want to make sure we are understanding each other.  On Johnny's chart it says "Broccoli (TP)".  The TP stands for transplant.  At the side of the Excel worksheet, it says "The date calculated is the date to plant outdoors; crops that should be direct-sown are marked DS.  Those marked TP should be set out as transplants on the date shown, so seeds should be started 4 weeks before the planting date."

I am at work and do not know when our first frost date occurs on average so I do not know if Johnny's chart agrees with my old time farmer's date of 9/1.  Some people say plant broccoli inside 4 to 6 weeks before transplanting outside.  Look at Mel's book to see what he says.  So it looks like you could start your seeds indoors now.  This old farmer also told me that if the transplants are root bound or stressed in anyway, they might just form button heads and not regular heads. 
I think it is too hot sow outside now but who knows for sure.  Not me.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3265
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  Windmere on 7/29/2014, 4:34 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Yolos, thanks for posting this fall planting guide link.  I see planting date of broccoli is July 7, so perhaps I am too late.  I thought I might try this fall season.  What do folks think about planting now and if ok, which are best varieties (very disease resistant)?

PS: I've done a little research, and I've read that Marathon is a good variety for winter.

What date are you using as your first frost date ?.  Pike's (for the last two years) started carrying their fall transplants just about 9/1.  That is the date that an old time farmer (farms out east of here near I20) said that broccoli transplants should be set out.  So your date of setting out transplants on 7/7 may be off (or are you saying to start seeds indoors on 7/7).  The planting guide is for transplant date (or if designated as DS, then direct sow).  Last year I transplanted Broccoli into the garden about 9/1.  I did have to use season extending (covering with row cover) at some point before harvest.
I am kind of worn out gardening.  Our season is so long.  If Pike's or Swint's sell transplants, then I will do a fall garden.  Last year both companies sold Pacman and Premium broccoli.  I experimented with about 6 varieties two years ago but that was the first time for me trying a fall garden that I didn't get good results.
I think the Johnny's Seeds guide was for seed planting.  I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and try planting seeds inside and then transplanting.  Thanks for guidance about 9/1 transplanting date.  We'll see what happens. cherry


I want to make sure we are understanding each other.  On Johnny's chart it says "Broccoli (TP)".  The TP stands for transplant.  At the side of the Excel worksheet, it says "The date calculated is the date to plant outdoors; crops that should be direct-sown are marked DS.  Those marked TP should be set out as transplants on the date shown, so seeds should be started 4 weeks before the planting date."

I am at work and do not know when our first frost date occurs on average so I do not know if Johnny's chart agrees with my old time farmer's date of 9/1.  Some people say plant broccoli inside 4 to 6 weeks before transplanting outside.  Look at Mel's book to see what he says.  So it looks like you could start your seeds indoors now.  This old farmer also told me that if the transplants are root bound or stressed in anyway, they might just form button heads and not regular heads. 
I think it is too hot sow outside now but who knows for sure.  Not me.
Oooh...  I feel so dumb...  I did not realize the meaning of TP and DS. Rolling Eyes 

In light if the issue with root bound plants, I think I might prefer DS.  I did read about button heads.   Good...   then I probably have some time.  Thanks yolos.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  landarch on 7/29/2014, 4:49 pm

This year I've tried to hit the magic date for starting broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage seeds indoors as planting dates for our area are the first week of August.  The challenge I've read about and have been experiencing is 1) natural sunlight is great but plants can get leggy with high summer temps (high 90's), 2) my grow light set-up is in a cool stone basement, but the plants can get somewhat leggy under lights...kinda a catch-22, 3) August and September heat can be brutal on cole crop seedlings...the key is water, water, water.
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1145
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Harvest Planting

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum