Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testing MM Calculator
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:38 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:36 pm

» New England October, 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 4:31 pm

» Keeping bees
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:29 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by trolleydriver Today at 4:26 pm

» Hello from Ann Arbor, Michigan!
by trolleydriver Today at 4:24 pm

» The Research Journey:Back to Eden Organic Gardening 101 Method with Wood Chips VS Leaves Composting Garden Soil
by plantoid Today at 3:59 pm

» Fall garden push
by Cajun Cappy Today at 1:27 pm

» Can i just mix up the Mel's mix right in the garden box?
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:50 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:49 am

» The Research Journey:Composting Leaves Only
by has55 Today at 11:01 am

» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 Today at 10:57 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:34 am

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 2:24 am

» When do I prep potted raspberries for winter?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:19 pm

» Please Welcome Our Newest Forum Moderator!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:07 pm

» who has chickens
by bigdogrock Yesterday at 7:12 am

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by MrBooker Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Sanderson's experiments with Bio-Flora Ag Products
by dstack Yesterday at 6:13 am

» Flowers that easily reseeded
by yolos Yesterday at 12:07 am

» Jade Plant
by Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 11:21 pm

» Fun Spider addition to Home Page
by Scorpio Rising 10/25/2016, 9:49 pm

» The Research Journey:Growing in a Raised Wood Chip Organic Gardening Bed
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:16 am

» The Research Journey:Building Healthy Soil
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:13 am

» the Research Journey:How to Grow Large Healthy Organic Tomatoes
by has55 10/25/2016, 7:07 am

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by sanderson 10/25/2016, 3:23 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 10/25/2016, 1:28 am

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 10/24/2016, 11:50 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by jimmy cee 10/24/2016, 10:44 pm

» Notice: Gluten-free Recipes Sub-Forum- Up and running!
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/24/2016, 9:20 pm

Search SFG Forum

I caved cause I'm scared!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I caved cause I'm scared!

Post  jerzyjen on 5/1/2010, 9:47 pm

My biggest disappointment from my first year of SFG is the horrible tomato experience I had (just a few to harvest and didnt taste great). So... I turned to my alma mater for my maters, Rutgers tomato (our county extension is through Rutgers). So I ordered 2 seed varieties, heirloom jersey tomatos Ramapo & Moreton. I started my seeds because I figured this was probably the only way I would be able to get these varieties. So today during my shopping trip at the local plant roadside stand, I found seedling starts of the Ramapo - same exact seeds! I had to pick some up, cause I had a really really hard time with my starts, especially with the ramapos.

My Ramapos from seed

The purchased Ramapos

My Moreton starts did a little better so I'll give them a shot. Besides they didnt have them in starts and those are early producers and indeterminate, Ramapo is semi determinate. As I was browsing the plants I just started to panic that I would have another horrible tomato harvest. I decided to add two more square worth and also picked up a lemon boy for something different from a start. Wish me luck for some yummy Jersey tomatos!

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I caved cause I'm scared!

Post  camprn on 5/1/2010, 10:07 pm

I do not think you caved at all, you simply bought insurance, and they are lovely :!:

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen on 5/1/2010, 10:10 pm

I really wanted to do it from scratch. I think for next year i need to warm up the starts either with a mat or something homemade. My basement is too cool and i think its stunted their growth. The cool crop starts from seeds did great.

Female Posts : 210

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 on 5/1/2010, 11:00 pm

This is the first time EVER I have had sucess with seeds...I invested in a seedling heat mat and a shop light, flourescent sunlight bulbs. I have several varieties of Tomato, Eggplant, Poblano Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, and Straightneck Squash all ready to go into the beds now.. I think it was a good investment..Smile

Female Posts : 383

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell on 5/2/2010, 10:28 am

Good for you. I agree that you simply acquired "insurance" -- and I honestly don't think one can have too many tomatoes in an SFG (but I'll keep pushing it until I find out for sure!). Very Happy

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.timwardell.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/2/2010, 10:55 am

You didn't cave at all! I usually use a mixture of my own seedlings and purchased. I tend to only seed those things I don't think I can find easily locally. There's nothing "better" about growing your own seedlings except for more variety. I'm in a race with Tim to see how many tomatoes I can grow. 9 different kinds, 15 plants so far. But I just ordered 10 more varieties from Wintersown and they sent 12 -- but these are for next year. Too late this year.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda on 5/2/2010, 11:09 am

We frequently purchase starter plants from the nursery. We always try to start them ourselves but our starts have always been pretty pathetic. Perhaps we are still learning but this year we tried the lights, fan, seed warming mat and we still ended up with undersized, spindly and pale seedlings. So, while the plants are on sale at the nursery, we pick up a few to augment our seedlings.

I guess I am not a "purest" in thinking everything has to be started from seeds. We grow a lot of variety and often a package of seeds costs as much as a starter plant. And some plants, like tomatoes, take a pretty long time to start. (Not to mention the fact ours just don't look as good!)

Enjoy your garden and don't worry about it!

Female Posts : 439

View user profile http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower on 5/2/2010, 11:52 am

Hey... don't feel that you're 'cheating'!

The plants you're putting in your garden WERE started from seeds! It's just that the seeds were started by someone else!
I've got some seedlings started, but have decided to go with nursery starts for some of my babies, because the nursery has better control over the temp, humidity and light than I have, and their plants are well established when I am ready to put out in the garden.

Female Posts : 530

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam on 5/2/2010, 3:41 pm

purchased plants are just grown in ideal circumstances, in a greenhouse with optimal feed and watering etc.etc., you can hardly expect your own seedlings to grow like that in a windowsill or something similar. I also mix and match my own seedlings and plants from a gardencenter, as our growing season is awfully short for tomatoes and such, so the plants can really use the headstart. This year my "own" tomatoes are doing reasonably, or anyway, the flesh tomatoes are...as my cherry tomatoes almost all died out on me on a unexpected hot day...they just shrivelled and died..... I only have one of those left, but that one is doing fine now. I don't have a very large garden (48 squares in total), so it's ok to not have all my seedlings planted, but it's still sad when they don't make it.

Having plants in different stages of growth will also lead to a longer harvest period, I think.

Female Posts : 151

View user profile http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum