Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England July 2014

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England July 2014

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 8:07 am

@sanderson wrote:
@yolos wrote:My method of killing the beetles are a pair of flip flops.  Place one flip flop under the leaf and use the other flip flop to clobber the beetle on the top of the leaf.
I love high-tech solutions!   Very Happy

I had a blue jay or mockingbird (can't remember) help out with the Japanese beetles on the climbing Iceberg roses.

I've got a bunch of blue jays in my yard, but they obviously missed that lesson. When I see them, it's either the hand clap or the finger squish. Whatever is most HANDY at the moment. When I applied bonide 3 in 1 the other night, it was almost like the dawn of the dead beetles. They came out of the soil in bunches, rolled around and just waited for me to manage them.

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/8/2014, 8:15 am

Be careful with the 3 in 1, it contains pyrethrin it can and will kill the pollinating insects justs like the pest insects. Please read and follow all label instructions. Do not spray on flowering plants during the day.
Here is another link about pyrethrin.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 8:48 am

@camprn wrote:Be careful with the 3 in 1, it contains pyrethrin it can and will kill the pollinating insects justs like the pest insects. Please read and follow all label instructions. Do not spray on flowering plants during the day.

Hi camprn, I have only used it once (the day before it rained for an entire day here in metro mass) and sprayed at 7:30 pm when there was no bee activity in my area. I did read the label very carefully and I do understand how harmful that could be.

Last edited by GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/8/2014, 8:50 am

@GardenGroupie wrote:
@camprn wrote:Be careful with the 3 in 1, it contains pyrethrin it can and will kill the pollinating insects justs like the pest insects. Please read and follow all label instructions. Do not spray on flowering plants during the day.

Hi camprn, I have only used it once the other day (after it rained for an entire day here in metro mass) and sprayed at 7:30 pm when there was no bee activity in my area. I did read the label very carefully and I do understand how harmful that could be.
Awesome! And good job. Please know that I wasn't singling you out, I offer this reminder to everyone, frequently. Wink 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 7/8/2014, 11:20 am

So, what happens when a bird eats the dead beetles?  Do they risk getting poisoned?  Does it hurt them?  Anyone know?  Hmm...gotta go figure that part out...
 study 

Which reminds me to mention that pyrethrin is toxic to cats, so if you have a kitty, or feral kitties coming into your garden, don't use this product or any that contains pyrethrin or its synthetic cousins (permethrin, etc.).  The labels sometimes don't contain that warning.

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/8/2014, 11:37 am

I don't know about birds, but I know 2 people suspected my dead ducklings may have gotten ahold of poisoned slugs. Unless the neighbor has spread out poison, I don't see how that could be, but apparently there could be a chain reaction when placing poisons out. Just to be aware.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/8/2014, 11:43 am

It is a fact that Insecticides and other pesticides often do go up the food chain in their toxicity.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 1:39 pm

I was thinking of the birds when I squished the beetles and tossed them all in the rubbish. As soon as I was finished spraying theY came out of the soil and were pretty easy to get. I'm pretty sure I got them all. My small area has a 7 ft fence, no ducks, no cats, no critters.

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 1:42 pm

I'm also pretty sure my neighbor two doors down is very busy spraying every kind of ORTHO product he can find on his entire yard where he also grows food and his kids play. Go figure.

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/8/2014, 2:00 pm

GardenGroupie, that's the scary thing, we've grown up with these sprays and most don't think twice about toxicity.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 2:08 pm

@NHGardener wrote:GardenGroupie, that's the scary thing, we've grown up with these sprays and most don't think twice about toxicity.

Yes, it is very scary and it drives me nuts!  Evil or Very Mad

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/8/2014, 3:08 pm

@NHGardener wrote:I don't know about birds, but I know 2 people suspected my dead ducklings may have gotten ahold of poisoned slugs. Unless the neighbor has spread out poison, I don't see how that could be, but apparently there could be a chain reaction when placing poisons out. Just to be aware.

I was one of the two, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It was that slugs and snails regularly eat plants that are poisonous to other animals. That is why people don't immediately take wild-caught snails and cook them. (At least, it's not recommended that they do.) They generally feed them for a day or two on oats or some other feed so they will have time to excrete the plant poisons in their bodies.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/8/2014, 4:54 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:
@NHGardener wrote:I don't know about birds, but I know 2 people suspected my dead ducklings may have gotten ahold of poisoned slugs. Unless the neighbor has spread out poison, I don't see how that could be, but apparently there could be a chain reaction when placing poisons out. Just to be aware.

I was one of the two, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  It was that slugs and snails regularly eat plants that are poisonous to other animals.  That is why people don't immediately take wild-caught snails and cook them.  (At least, it's not recommended that they do.)  They generally feed them for a day or two on oats or some other feed so they will have time to excrete the plant poisons in their bodies.
Oops. My bad Smile

GardenGroupie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/8/2014, 5:36 pm

Garden thoughts for next summer:

FORGET PLANTING TOMATOES. The volunteers, as I mentioned, ONCE AGAIN, are coming up fast and furious and healthier than the carefully indoor seeded plants. So forget it. I'm going to chuck a bunch of this season's tomatoes in that bed (not even rotating, doesn't seem to matter) and let them take care of themselves for next summer. They don't show up until close to mid-June but that's okay, they take off.

BUT, I am going to take that energy from indoor seeding them and put it towards indoor seeding more peppers and holding them longer before transplanting. Even the supplemental pepper seedlings I bought two times after the first peppers wilted are not doing well. For one thing, I suspect these bought seedlings were messed up with chemical fertilizers, they never do as well. So next March, I am planting many pepper seeds indoors, so if they do keel, I will have spares. 

Also, the plants I need to get to regularly, such as lettuce and spinach, I am planting in the front, easy to get to beds, and the plants I don't need to look at until late summer, like the garlic and potatoes, will go in the more awkward to get to beds.

Don't know what to do about the rogue strawberries tho. Maybe just pull out enough plants in strategic places so I can at least get to the plants in the middle without stepping on strawberries.

And last but not least, can't wait till fall comes and everything dies so I can really, really work on getting cardboard and chips everywhere for weed control for next summer. This year I only got about half-way done, and the areas I haven't gotten to are so filled with weeds that I know things are living in there that are unfriendly to my garden. (LIKE VOLES) Every summer I say: next summer I'll be better about weed control. But the best way is just to establish a good barrier system, like cardboard and then inches of chips, to suppress them so when occasionally they do pop up, you can manage them. Ideally I'd like several inches of chips over everything for weed suppression, but I'll do as much as I can.

Last summer I put the vine stuff out in a new field that got water logged, and nothing grew and it was disease-prone and SVB prone. This year I made new row raised beds (okay, a little off-SFG topic) using leaves and chicken manure and hay mostly, and the vines are doing great, large and productive. They say you can plant your squash right in your compost pile, they really do well with bare compost, doesn't even seem to matter if it's broken down yet.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/8/2014, 5:48 pm

I'll be interested to see how you do with your raw compost squash. I have a volunteer squash in my compost pile too, and decided to leave it in, since I think I have enough compost for this year already, and the plant seems happy there.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/8/2014, 6:47 pm

Not much grows in my compost pile , it's in pretty deep shade. I was toying with the idea yesterday of just dumping on the ground a wheelbarrow full of compost and planting some butternut. If I'm going to do it, I need to do it tomorrow.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/8/2014, 9:08 pm

I can't say my squash is exactly in my compost pile, but that my raised rows are new this spring, with leaves, hay & chicken manure, so it's not like they had much time to break down before the vines were planted in there.

But I had a friend up in the north country who did plant her squash in her compost pile, I don't even remember if it was in full sunlight, and she had squash & zucchini coming out her ears.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/9/2014, 1:45 pm

I put straight compost into pots found in a dumpster and placed in a sunny location for my squash & melons.  They are doing great! 
I really really do plan on covering them with old tulle.

Does SVB get melons, too?

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/9/2014, 4:06 pm

This banana pepper & Roma tom are in straight compost also. 
They were started by seed at the same times as the SFG peppers & toms but are much bushier and further along now.

NHG, I wonder if we can get volunteer peppers using the same method as the toms. And if they'd catch up and pass our indoor started ones. I think I'll start saving seeds and try it this fall.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/9/2014, 6:09 pm

I've never seen a volunteer pepper. That would be great, tho.

CC, did you make that straight compost? That's pretty neat. I've heard that peppers like rich compost too, but while my vines are giants in my raised rows, the peppers pretty much died. Peppers are hard!

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/9/2014, 6:31 pm

A nice day in the garden.

Garlic lifting today!

85 bulbs of garlic, that should hold me awhile.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/9/2014, 6:41 pm

Interesting. I'm finding it's too hot for too long around here to use pure compost in pots. I need mulch and/or plenty of vermiculite, or straight Mel's Mix topped with more compost occasionally as nutrients get washed out of the pots at an accelerated pace from the need to water so much.

I've got two squash growing very well on my mostly shaded compost pile now, though. They don't need nearly so much water.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/9/2014, 6:52 pm

Holy Toledo - is it already time to pull garlic?

Better look closer at my plants.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 7/9/2014, 7:29 pm

Edit: Ah. I think my garlic is a week or 2 behind yours. Phew.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 7/9/2014, 7:30 pm

I could have left it for another week, but I want the bed for other things and they were ready, lifting quite easily.
OH! And I picked the first of raspberries, 1/4 pound this morning.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum