Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My favorite tomato plant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/20/2014, 11:54 am

Little blonde girls (Blondkopfchen) are so prolific. I cannot wait to start picking them right off the stems and eating them. The perfect balance of sweet and tart. My bumblebee friends are a big help.

avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  llama momma on 7/20/2014, 12:21 pm

Look at that!  Just loaded with flowers!   
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4856
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/20/2014, 1:20 pm

@llama momma wrote:Look at that!  Just loaded with flowers!   

It's not a close up, so you can't see the dozens of little tomatoes. They just keep going until October. Once they start it's a game to keep up the picking. I had my neighbor's two year old picking them last year and helped him make peace with the bees.
avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/20/2014, 7:19 pm

I got those last year and didn't plant them., too many tomatoes already, and same this year. I've read they're delicious, very prolific, and produce heavily right up until first frost, and sometimes can even survive that and keep producing. Glad to hear you confirm they're great! Next year, for sure ...

Show us more pictures of the fruit!
avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  AtlantaMarie on 7/20/2014, 7:28 pm

W.O.W!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4335
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/20/2014, 7:47 pm

GULP...almost choked on my dinner just now.  Shocked  Are you kidding me??? And these are growing in MA? Wanna trade some seeds?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nice!

Post  Windmere on 7/20/2014, 8:04 pm

Those look so cool.  I have never heard of these (which doesn't say much because I am very new to all this).  Anyway... after I read this thread I immediately went to Seed Savers and found this:

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/tomato_3/Tomato-Blondkopfchen-OG.html

I have an orange tomato, the seeds of which I got from Renee's seeds.  It's called Sungold and it is super sweet.  I wonder if orange varieties produce some of the sweeter tomatoes?

My sungold has fungus now... but it continues to valiantly produce:



Thank you for sharing about blondkopfchen.  If you feel like it, please post of pictures of the fruit...  I think we'd all like to see!!
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/20/2014, 8:46 pm

@Windmere wrote:Those look so cool.  I have never heard of these (which doesn't say much because I am very new to all this).  Anyway... after I read this thread I immediately went to Seed Savers and found this:

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/tomato_3/Tomato-Blondkopfchen-OG.html

I have an orange tomato, the seeds of which I got from Renee's seeds.  It's called Sungold and it is super sweet.  I wonder if orange varieties produce some of the sweeter tomatoes?

My sungold has fungus now... but it continues to valiantly produce:



Thank you for sharing about blondkopfchen.  If you feel like it, please post of pictures of the fruit...  I think we'd all like to see!!

I love my Sungolds! Even tho they are hybrids I saved seeds 2yrs ago and have been growing from them. They aren't as prolific as the parent plant but remain just as tasty. But I noticed that these Blond Girls are heirloom. If they taste as fantastic as Sungold, then we'll be golden!

Any other reviews from the forum on these Girls?

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/21/2014, 12:19 pm

There are lots of little blonde girls on my plant. What I learned last year is to wait until they are completely ripe - and that means leaving them on the vine and for real sweet leaving them on the counter for a up to a week. I like to pick them off the vine, but they are a bit tart at that stage. I like to mix them up in salads with some black cherries - a blend of the sweet/tart with sweet/smokey. OMG, I'm making myself hungry.

I haven't tried sungold, but have heard great things about them. Very sweet. Yummy.

CC: yes, they do grow in Mass. No blight, no cracking, just growing and producing.

Windmere: I'll post updated pics as they start to ripen. Sorry about your sungold. Looks like you still got some sweet goodies though.
avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/21/2014, 12:23 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:GULP...almost choked on my dinner just now.  Shocked  Are you kidding me???  And these are growing in MA?  Wanna trade some seeds?

CC

Yes, but I bought the seedling plant at Russell's in Wayland. I actually bought the plant last year thinking it was Sungold. When I noticed the large clusters of flowers I become suspicious, did some research to figure out what I had. They mislabeled it. They credited me and I still got a great plant.
avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  herblover on 7/21/2014, 4:41 pm

'Yellow Pear' has been a prolific producer for me; planted a 'Sugar Lump' cherry for the first time this year. It is over 5' tall and loaded with toms and blooms; easily 100+......might be my new fave!
avatar
herblover

Female Posts : 577
Join date : 2010-03-27
Age : 55
Location : Central OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/21/2014, 6:41 pm

@herblover wrote:'Yellow Pear' has been a prolific producer for me; planted a 'Sugar Lump' cherry for the first time this year.  It is over 5' tall and loaded with toms and blooms; easily 100+......might be my new fave!

They are so pretty. I'll have to see if I can get some at my farm stand and check them out.
avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  martha on 7/21/2014, 11:11 pm

@GardenGroupie wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:GULP...almost choked on my dinner just now.  Shocked  Are you kidding me???  And these are growing in MA?  Wanna trade some seeds?

CC

Yes, but I bought the seedling plant at Russell's in Wayland. I actually bought the plant last year thinking it was Sungold. When I noticed the large clusters of flowers I become suspicious, did some research to figure out what I had. They mislabeled it. They credited me and I still got a great plant.

I wonder if I've ever seen you there? I love Russell's! And blondekopfchens! I haven't ever had mine go until October, though. Maybe this year I'll be lucky and not lose them to any bugs or diseases.
avatar
martha

Female Posts : 2188
Join date : 2010-03-03
Age : 60
Location : Acton, Massachusetts Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  GardenGroupie on 7/22/2014, 10:34 am

@martha wrote:
@GardenGroupie wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:GULP...almost choked on my dinner just now.  Shocked  Are you kidding me???  And these are growing in MA?  Wanna trade some seeds?

CC

Yes, but I bought the seedling plant at Russell's in Wayland. I actually bought the plant last year thinking it was Sungold. When I noticed the large clusters of flowers I become suspicious, did some research to figure out what I had. They mislabeled it. They credited me and I still got a great plant.

I wonder if I've ever seen you there? I love Russell's!  And blondekopfchens! I haven't ever had mine go until October, though. Maybe this year I'll be lucky and not lose them to any bugs or diseases.
 
Ah Acton - howdy neighbor! I'm just next door in Maynard. Russell's is my Tiffany's. Last October it did have yellow leaves, but I was still picking the last of the ripe blondekopfchen and there were plenty that didn't get a chance to turn.
avatar
GardenGroupie

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-01
Location : Mass Metro-west

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  southern gardener on 7/22/2014, 11:47 am

Beautiful mater plant! Our favorite is Sungold for cherry...that plant goes crazy. We planted a sucker from one, and it's about 10 feet across! It has 30 on one cluster.
For big maters, we LOVE our Red Brandywines. Got our first one last night. HUGE tomato with big flavor. Thanks for sharing!!
avatar
southern gardener

Posts : 1887
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 37
Location : california, zone 10a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  landarch on 7/22/2014, 1:19 pm

profuse blossoms...very nice
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1145
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/22/2014, 4:05 pm

@southern gardener wrote: Our favorite is Sungold for cherry...that plant goes crazy. We planted a sucker from one, and it's about 10 feet across! It has 30 on one cluster.
SG, I would like to see a photo of that!  Please? 
Go, pig poo!

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My favorite tomato plant

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum