Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» homemade ketchup
by Scorpio Rising Today at 11:07 pm

» Rotten Rats in my garden!
by RJARPCGP Today at 9:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by donnainzone5 Today at 8:45 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Mimi2 Today at 8:40 pm

» Now What do I do?
by donnainzone5 Today at 8:38 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 8:12 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by llama momma Today at 7:58 pm

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:08 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:21 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by sanderson Today at 4:03 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by jimmy cee Today at 8:48 am

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by MrBooker Today at 6:47 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 6:22 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England August 2014

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England August 2014

Post  Windmere on 8/13/2014, 3:39 pm

CC, Everything looks so beautiful.  Your flowers are quite pretty.  Enjoy it all!

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/13/2014, 3:44 pm

@RJARPCGP wrote:
Echinacea purpurea. Wink
uh huh.  Smile

Here's some more for ya, RJ:

What a Face

Raining here but nothing to write home about.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 8/13/2014, 5:23 pm

Cc, those are the bluest hydrangeas I've ever seen in my life!  What's the normal soil ph out there?

Be safe all of you up north.  I'll be weather watching to see what happens.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 8/13/2014, 5:54 pm

CC what a gorgeous yard and what a lot of boxes and good-looking veggies! You must get quite a harvest.

Looks like you're right by the water too. That can be so nice. How fresh it makes the air, and the sound of running water. I used to live a block from the beach, and at night the sounds of the waves could be very soothing.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 8/13/2014, 6:49 pm

Wow, the skies are dumping right now. I didn't think we'd get this much rain. We'll see if things get waterlogged. At least it's supposed to be sunny from here on out for a while. Hope my bees are okay.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/14/2014, 11:06 am

Thanks, Windmere...the garden is my playground.  Sometimes I think I get along better with plants than with most people. Laughing 

Sanderson, the PH around my yard is 7 or a smidge less.   But that hydrangea is an oddity.  I grow all my hydrangeas from sticks (my neighbor says I'm supposed to say 'cuttings' with a snooty tone, hehe).  The mother plant that that one came from is normal & not this color so those sticks must have hit a pocket of some sort. I don't add anything special - my garden is a no-fuss, survival of the fittest garden. That plant is in it's 5th yr and always deep in color like that.  Speaking of odd, have you ever seen anything like these crazy little blue flowers that appeared last year from a different hydrangea plant?:
I realize this is a veggie forum and I probably shouldn't be posting these.  Maybe we could take it to PM?

Yes Marc, I live on the SE side of a lake.  It's very very cold with the constant NE winds and my gardens are always about a week+ behind the rest of my neighbors, even the ones next door.  I have about 100 sq ft of SFG growing area.  Once I'm finished building new boxes this year I'll end up with five raised 4x4's, 4 raised oddballs and 3 in ground 3x3 for a total of 160 sq ft.  And STILL I don't have enough to give away or can.  Sad 

Geesh NHG, wish I coulda split that rain with ya.  We got 2/3 inch of rain. Beats a poke in the eye with a stick I guess.  Hey, I was thinking how we like the idea of the gardens planting themselves and I remembered reading about a guy who has a lettuce garden in the corner of his yard that he just leaves alone except to harvest.  It reseeds itself ever year.  Once I'm finished building boxes I think I'll experiment and dedicate one box to doing just that with lettuce and see how it works with MM.  Ideally it'll be one that's shaded during the summer and in sun for spring & fall/winter.  I wonder if it could be done with leafy greens, too? 

Does anyone have any veggie gardens that they let reseed themselves every year?

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 8/14/2014, 11:12 am

Wow CC, that second flower you posted is equally unusual.  I'm thinking you could slide on the veggie forum thing by counting these flowers as good for pollinators?

flower

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/14/2014, 11:23 am

This forum is for sfg+. Not specifically about vegetables.  Smile 

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 8/14/2014, 11:30 am

CC, as long as the flowers don't start talking back to you, I think you'll be okay.  Laughing  Those are beautiful tho!

I may have had lettuce replant itself this year. It looked like a head lettuce but I don't remember having head lettuce (not that that means anything) so I wasn't exactly sure and left it alone. My leaf lettuce has gone to seed, but that is going to be my garlic bed this fall, so I can't try the experiment with that. So let us know how yours goes!

By the way, I don't think this is a veggie forum, because lots of people plant flowers in their SFGs too.

camprn! You snuck in there.

BTW, we must have had several inches of rain yesterday & last night. This morning everything is clear & sunny like it never happened. I'm going to check the garden now, I'll bet it loved it.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/14/2014, 11:49 am

We received 4+ " of rain yesterday. As soon as the wind dies down I'm going to be spaying my tomatoes, aubergine and peppers with more copper again to prevent or limit blight infection.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/14/2014, 12:22 pm

You New Englanders and your rain! And gorgeous hydrangeas.  Very Happy 

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11711

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 8/14/2014, 12:32 pm

My beloved childhood stomping grounds of Long Island had areas of over 13 inches of rain in a few hours.  Cars floated on the parkways.  My sister waded in thigh high water at her workplace parking lot.  The experts never saw this one coming, people there saying it was worse than hurricane Sandy.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4589

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/14/2014, 12:39 pm

@llama momma wrote:My beloved childhood stomping grounds of Long Island had areas of over 13 inches of rain in a few hours.  Cars floated on the parkways.  My sister waded in thigh high water at her workplace parking lot.  The experts never saw this one coming, people there saying it was worse than hurricane Sandy.
Yeah, I talked to one of my sales guys out there this morning and he said it was worse than Sandy, too.  And I saw that expressway with the floating cars on the news.  wow.

I think lower Cape Cod has some kinda witchy mojo going on above it.  I watch the radars as these rains divide right over us leaving us in the clear for the most part.   Evil or Very Mad   Frustrating...not that I'd want 13 inches, mind you.  But an inch or 2 would be nice once in a while so I don't have to chlorinate my gardens.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 8/14/2014, 5:12 pm

Wow, I hadn't heard the "worse than Sandy" news. But I have to say I went out and inspected my garden and it seemed to have loved the rain. The cardboard I have as weed suppressor (waiting to have chips on it) is already dry.

Pulled another large yellow squash today, and I have more zucchini/blueberry bread in the oven. Here's the recipe, it's really good, a tad sweet but this time I really cranked down the sugar. I also use butter instead of vegetable oil: (and a cup more zucchini and a cup more blueberries than it calls for)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-zucchini-bread/

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/14/2014, 8:05 pm

Lots of rain but no storm surge down there.

So, I planted my squash late with the hope to foil the SVB. It worked well. 42 days, seed to supper.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/14/2014, 9:40 pm

Good Lord! Its feeling down right autumnal.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP on 8/14/2014, 9:52 pm

@camprn wrote:We received 4+ " of rain yesterday.  As soon as the wind dies down I'm going to be spaying my tomatoes,  aubergine and peppers with more copper again to prevent or limit blight infection.
I only have 2.4 " in my rain gauge!

RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 135

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/14/2014, 11:24 pm

Basil mildew. If you still have healthy basil pick it now!

http://nhpr.org/post/pathogen-hits-nh-basil-putting-pesto-peril

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP on 8/15/2014, 7:10 am

This may be the coolest August since 2011 and 2006!

Today's supposed to have a Pacific-northwest-coast-like combo of chillness and cloudiness.

RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 135

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 8/15/2014, 8:30 am

@camprn wrote:Good Lord! Its feeling down right autumnal.

I didn't want to be the first one to say it but yes, there was a definite feeling of "fall" in the air yesterday. I think summer is wrapping up her picnic blanket and taking out her sweater.

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/15/2014, 10:50 am

@mollyhespra wrote:
@camprn wrote:Good Lord! Its feeling down right autumnal.

I didn't want to be the first one to say it but yes, there was a definite feeling of "fall" in the air yesterday.  I think summer is wrapping up her picnic blanket and taking out her sweater.
Blech!  I don't think we ever kicked into summer here on the Cape. Guess I may as well kiss the canning of toms goodbye, altho a nice crop of large Romas is blushing up right now, about a dzn all at once.   There may be hope of a couple of cans for winter if we don't eat them fresh right away.

My 4 pepper plants are finally making lots of flowers.  There are 2 fruits amongst them so at least I'll have those.  The one in the pot produced about 10 banana peppers early on then gave up the ghost from over watering I think.  Mom and I didn't coordinate on the watering schedule soon enuff. Rolling Eyes 

Nice zuke, Camp.  We know how we love our zukes, and how rare they are!  I got one nice one before everything stopped from the cold.  There's another  one coming slowly but I don't see any more females after that.  Same with the summer & Lebonese squashes.  No females at all on the winter squashes either. Tough year in that arena.

Meanwhile, the greens are loving it.  The spinach I planted a couple weeks ago came up so fast I wasn't sure what it was.  They are doing great so far.  And I was surprised at all the carrots that sprouted.  I'll be planting lettuces, pak choi and more carrots this weekend.

Ya win some, ya lose some.  Every years different.  And it ain't over yet... Wink 

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/15/2014, 11:16 am

My turnips germinated and emerged in 3 days. Very Happy

In other news, I donned my sweater, socks and shoes and winter hat. I have yet to put on my vest.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 8/15/2014, 12:41 pm

Its a terrific day for roasting tomatoes.   I haven't harvested many this year compared to other years, but any at all will be good.  I think I might get 3 quarts from what I have on the counter right now.  That will warm up the house.
Yup, I need to warm up the house a bit.  Its only in the low 60s here and damp and overcast so I picked a good day for it.

My peppers are very, very tiny just now so can't harvest any of those.  I have another nice cuke I can pick and some blossoms but this cooler weather will set them back.  They like it warmer.  My potted watermelon hasn't produced a melon yet so I guess I can say that is a flop this year as well.

Its been perfect for the tourists and time at the lake for the family.  Such lovely days.  But not conducive to a great garden.  I'm just grateful to have anything at all this year.

I'm off to cook.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 8/15/2014, 1:40 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Ya win some, ya lose some.  Every years different.  And it ain't over yet... ;)CC

That's the spirit!

Why, to quote the ol' English chap: "Never, never, never give up!"

And, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

Laughing 

The great thing about gardening is that it's like an etch-a-sketch. Every summer we get to start all over and create something new.

The only problem is you only get so many turns, and that's why I'm going to be exhausting myself working on building up the soil, etc. this fall. Smile

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2014, 2:28 pm

Finally done... just finished!

bye, bye last of the old faithful cupboards.

it's been a grand three year run!

Hello new boxes...

ready for some fun?!

I'll plant some peas, lettuce and radishes in the newest L shaped box as soon as all the chlorine from wetting down the old MM evaporates.

Supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll be walking on planks over the bare spots left by the old boxes until the grass grows in from seed I'll plant in the fall.

Off to mow.  What's everyone else up to today?
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:28 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum