Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New SFG not sure where to go this year
by herblover Today at 10:52 am

» Calling all chicken owners
by RoOsTeR Today at 9:56 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 9:53 am

» Mid-Atl - Mar 2017 - I'm a seed-a-holic
by Mellen Today at 9:43 am

» Ground Cherries
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:07 am

» Compost for Mel's Mix
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:05 am

» Cauliflower
by plantoid Today at 6:25 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing February 2017?
by Kelejan Yesterday at 10:10 pm

» Lower South Feb 2017
by mschaef Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» Hello from (near) our nation's capital!
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 7:31 pm

» My Solar Dehydrator at Work
by newbeone Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Indoor Seed Starting Info?
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Oh Baby it's getting HOT Outside
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:39 pm

» Hello from DFW
by RC3291 Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Mellen Yesterday at 12:10 pm

» So. California & Inland Valleys -March / April Planting Guide
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:32 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:21 am

» How to save ground cherry harvest???
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:13 am

» Hello from Pottstown, PA
by newbeone Yesterday at 7:46 am

» Advice and Preparations for Sweet Potatoes in Wisconsin
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:25 am

» February 2017 Avatar: Time to Wake Up!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Bare Root Fruit Trees
by countrynaturals 2/25/2017, 7:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 2/25/2017, 6:12 pm

» Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.
by sanderson 2/25/2017, 4:25 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by BeetlesPerSqFt 2/25/2017, 12:45 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan 2/25/2017, 12:23 pm

» One Very Happy Earthworm!
by countrynaturals 2/25/2017, 11:14 am

» My experiences with commercial cedar raised beds
by ralitaco 2/25/2017, 11:06 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dilly Bean Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/6/2014, 5:39 pm

I made a double batch of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book, page 56.  So instead of 2 pounds of beans I weighed out 4 pounds of beans (after trimming) to make a total of 4 quarts.  
I stuffed those jars with all my might and still had 1/2 pound left over. 

Question-- is there a trick to stuffing jars??  Or did I miscalculate regarding the trimmed off ends of beans?  Any thoughts??  Thanks a bunch.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  camprn on 8/6/2014, 7:17 pm

Nothing is ever perfect. I had some left over beans last week when I was making dilly beans and I just cut them smaller, stuffed them in half pints and canned them like that.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14078
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/6/2014, 7:36 pm

Ok then, Thank you.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  landarch on 8/7/2014, 1:38 pm

My wife's grandmother makes perfect Dilly Beans...and the jars are tightly packed with nice straight beans and I can't figure out how she does it...my first try last year was not very good.

I stuffed with my nicest, longest, straightest beans and my jar looked horrible...turns out I used a quart jar when she uses pint jars...duh.

I also blanched my beans too long...the vinegar turned green and the beans ended up way too mushy instead of crisp and refreshing.

landarch

Posts : 1125
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/7/2014, 2:08 pm

Oh..you blanched beans prior to canning?  I called the Ball Blue book 1-800 number and was told the beans go in hot jars trimmed and raw.  I did that part but I'll use the wide mouth jars next time. Might be easier to stuff those jars.  Be back in a bit to show you a pic of mine..

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  camprn on 8/7/2014, 2:08 pm

I don't blanch my beans when I am making pickles. I stuff them in the jar raw and green, with the assistance of a chopstick I pack 'em tightly. The leftover bits I just shove as much as I can, willie nilly, into 1/2 pint jars.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14078
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/7/2014, 2:24 pm

Well shoot for the first time in 4 years I can't upload a picture!
I get to the place where I host it and get three lines.
But then there is no highlight button to continue.  what the heck??

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/7/2014, 2:32 pm

Try again to post a pic.  If it works you'll see the beans rose to the top.  Don't know why.


llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  camprn on 8/7/2014, 2:46 pm

@llama momma wrote:Tyou'll see the beans rose to the top.  Don't know why.
It's what they do.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14078
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  camprn on 8/7/2014, 2:47 pm

@llama momma wrote:Well shoot for the first time in 4 years I can't upload a picture!
I get to the place where I host it and get three lines.
But then there is no highlight button to continue.  what the heck??
Did you end up just doing a copy and paste?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14078
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/7/2014, 2:53 pm

Yes I did a simple copy and paste after going to the search box, poked around and bumped into your old post saying it worked for you.  Had to laugh at myself because it was such an easy logical fix.
 Razz


Last edited by llama momma on 8/7/2014, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  sanderson on 8/7/2014, 11:51 pm

The missing buttons threw me, too!

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12921
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  walshevak on 8/8/2014, 11:22 am

Glad to know I'm not the only one with floating pickles. My half pints of kosher dill spears look ok, but the quarts and pints of bread and butter slices are almost 1/3 juice with the pickles floating.  I stuffed those slices into the jars with my fists (wide mouth jars) and really pushed hard, but still floating.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4333
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 74
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

"floaters"

Post  mzkobus on 8/8/2014, 7:48 pm

My husbands grandmother taught me to make dilly beans, when you pack the jars, pack to the bottom (while the jar is on it's side) and then use a "weave" to stop the floaters, use a couple of shorter cut beans tucked in very snuggly and intertwine the tops. This seems to work pretty well for me. But floaters are really no big deal as long as they stay in your liquid.

mzkobus

Female Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-08-08
Location : Pennsylvania, United States

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 8/9/2014, 4:51 am

Mzkobus
I turned the jars on their sides like you mentioned,  but weaving beans is new to me.  So you push the beans to the bottom and try to twist them around each other a little?  I think I could manage that with skinny-er beans. In my picture above there are too many late-picked fat beans that would resist bending.  I'm going to try your method next time,  Thanks!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 10/15/2014, 8:07 pm

@llama momma wrote:I made a double batch of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book, page 56.  So instead of 2 pounds of beans I weighed out 4 pounds of beans (after trimming) to make a total of 4 quarts.  

Update.  I opened the first quart jar this evening with such great anticipation! 
But goodness gracious who eats this spicy, salty, vinegar, cayenne peppered stuff??   Four quarts of beautiful beans, garlic and dill.  All wasted. Destroyed. My stomach, throat, and mouth is still burning.  Won't be canning that recipe again.
 
frustration screm

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  FamilyGardening on 10/15/2014, 8:42 pm

...eek! What a Face LLM......cayenne peppered??

ours are only dill flavored like a dill pickle....

maybe the other un-opended jars you could give away as gifts to someone who likes things spicy I love you
 
(((hugs)))
rose......

FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Western WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/15/2014, 8:58 pm

LM, no matter how hot it is, somebody loves it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually loved beans exactly as spicy as you made them, if not more so! Heck, after eating hot stuff for a while, some people hardly notice heat anymore.

Where I grew up, even little kids ate eye-meltingly hot pickled green papaya. Me too! Our eyelids would be sweating as we ate it.

Oh well, such a shame you lost out on those beans.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 55
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 10/15/2014, 9:07 pm

Yes rose cayenne 1/2 teasp. In each qt jar.   Since I never made this before I trusted the recipe because they always say not to alter it.  I will gift the other jars like you said to those with tough insides.

I hear you Marc!  Thanks for recognizing the loss of beans too. As a beginner it's all hit and miss to go through recipes and find what we like.  At the moment my stomach is still smoldering. Whew

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  donnainzone5 on 10/15/2014, 9:17 pm

A dash in each jar probably would have sufficed!

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2011
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 69
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  llama momma on 10/15/2014, 9:20 pm

I'm sure you're right!   But that's what I get for following directions.  Grrrr

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  bmoore49 on 1/29/2015, 5:57 pm

@llama momma wrote:
@llama momma wrote:I made a double batch of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book, page 56.  So instead of 2 pounds of beans I weighed out 4 pounds of beans (after trimming) to make a total of 4 quarts.  

Update.  I opened the first quart jar this evening with such great anticipation! 
But goodness gracious who eats this spicy, salty, vinegar, cayenne peppered stuff??   Four quarts of beautiful beans, garlic and dill.  All wasted. Destroyed. My stomach, throat, and mouth is still burning.  Won't be canning that recipe again.
 
frustration screm

If you want to try Pickled Dilled Beans again, I recommend the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Pepper flakes and garlic are optional. Their recipe is only for pints. There is not a tested recipe for quarts. You could cut the recipe in half the first time to see if you like it before making a big batch. I would have posted a link but I just join the forum and I'm not allowed to post links for 7 days. Go to the NCHFP website, click How Do I? Pickle > Other Vegetable Pickles > Dilled Beans.

Notice they use 1 tsp hot pepper flakes for 8 pints of beans.

bmoore49

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2015-01-29
Location : Redding, CA - Sunset Zone 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  yolos on 1/29/2015, 8:38 pm

@bmoore49 wrote:
@llama momma wrote:
@llama momma wrote:I made a double batch of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book, page 56.  So instead of 2 pounds of beans I weighed out 4 pounds of beans (after trimming) to make a total of 4 quarts.  

Update.  I opened the first quart jar this evening with such great anticipation! 
But goodness gracious who eats this spicy, salty, vinegar, cayenne peppered stuff??   Four quarts of beautiful beans, garlic and dill.  All wasted. Destroyed. My stomach, throat, and mouth is still burning.  Won't be canning that recipe again.
 
frustration screm

If you want to try Pickled Dilled Beans again, I recommend the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Pepper flakes and garlic are optional. Their recipe is only for pints. There is not a tested recipe for quarts. You could cut the recipe in half the first time to see if you like it before making a big batch. I would have posted a link but I just join the forum and I'm not allowed to post links for 7 days. Go to the NCHFP website, click How Do I? Pickle > Other Vegetable Pickles > Dilled Beans.

Notice they use 1 tsp hot pepper flakes for 8 pints of beans.

BMoore - I navigated to the NCHFP website to read the recipe for dilly beans.  I have a question.  They mention boiling water canner.  Is this the boiling water bath method and not using a pressure canner.  They do not mention pressure, so I am assuming it is only boiling water and not pressure canned.  Is that correct.

yolos

Female Posts : 2966
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  bmoore49 on 1/29/2015, 8:43 pm

@yolos wrote:
@bmoore49 wrote:
@llama momma wrote:
@llama momma wrote:I made a double batch of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book, page 56.  So instead of 2 pounds of beans I weighed out 4 pounds of beans (after trimming) to make a total of 4 quarts.  

Update.  I opened the first quart jar this evening with such great anticipation! 
But goodness gracious who eats this spicy, salty, vinegar, cayenne peppered stuff??   Four quarts of beautiful beans, garlic and dill.  All wasted. Destroyed. My stomach, throat, and mouth is still burning.  Won't be canning that recipe again.
 
frustration screm

If you want to try Pickled Dilled Beans again, I recommend the recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Pepper flakes and garlic are optional. Their recipe is only for pints. There is not a tested recipe for quarts. You could cut the recipe in half the first time to see if you like it before making a big batch. I would have posted a link but I just join the forum and I'm not allowed to post links for 7 days. Go to the NCHFP website, click How Do I? Pickle > Other Vegetable Pickles > Dilled Beans.

Notice they use 1 tsp hot pepper flakes for 8 pints of beans.

BMoore - I navigated to the NCHFP website to read the recipe for dilly beans.  I have a question.  They mention boiling water canner.  Is this the boiling water bath method and not using a pressure canner.  They do not mention pressure, so I am assuming it is only boiling water and not pressure canned.  Is that correct.
 
  Boiling water canner, boiling water bath method, same thing.

bmoore49

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2015-01-29
Location : Redding, CA - Sunset Zone 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dilly Bean Question

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum