Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Julia Child's French Onion Soup
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:29 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:58 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:56 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 5:17 pm

» Indoor Container Garden - City Living
by countrynaturals Today at 4:45 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Today at 3:49 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals Today at 12:05 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by plantoid Today at 10:59 am

» has55's R & D Journey
by trolleydriver Today at 8:00 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Roseinarosecity Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» Areogardening
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:55 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by saganco Yesterday at 11:11 am

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/15/2017, 7:53 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson 12/15/2017, 1:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan 12/15/2017, 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

help with mulch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

help with mulch

Post  greenehousemike on 8/9/2014, 3:17 pm

Hello Everyone
    I have a question about mulch. I have been using my raised gardens for a few years but I have not used any mulch. Of course I have to water a lot living here in Alabama. So I read post that refers to mulch. My questions are What do you use and do you just mix it in after the season is over. Thank you for your help.
greenehousemike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: help with mulch

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/9/2014, 4:27 pm

Hi Mike.  I live just north of Atlanta, so same general temp region.

We use cypress mulch we get at the big box store.  I add at least 2 inches to the boxes.

No, I don't mix it in.  Cypress breaks down really slowly...  So I remove it, do whatever I'm doing to the box, then put it back on top.

I have also used grass clippings on top of my corn box and around my bee balm.  Seemed to work pretty well.  Again, lots of volume since it compresses so much.

I use pine straw on the potatoes since they like the acid.
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4362

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  greenehousemike on 8/9/2014, 8:29 pm

Thank you Marie. My gardens do good but I know I can do more with them. Thanks again for your help and I will try it.
greenehousemike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/9/2014, 8:37 pm

I used finished, but unaged, homemade compost for mulch. At the end of the growing season I just turn it under. It works really well.

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/9/2014, 8:48 pm

Didn't mention, but I have a cold compost hill going.  I'm not in a rush, so don't worry about it heating up. 

But Camp's right about compost.  It's the best thing to do.

I also found that the more you can put on top, the better it seems to be for the plants.  Keeps the root systems cooler & moister.
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4362

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/9/2014, 11:01 pm

When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
yolos

Female Posts : 3307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Straw

Post  Windmere on 8/10/2014, 8:15 am

@yolos wrote:When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
Hey yolos.

I  bought a bale of wheat straw from Swint's (I don't remember how much it cost... but I do remember thinking that the price was good).  How long does it take for your straw to break down after you add it to your compost?  In general I mean... rapidly or slowly compared to other things?
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/10/2014, 9:38 am

@Windmere wrote:
@yolos wrote:When I need mulch, I use shredded wheat straw.  I remove it and put it on the compost pile when I am ready to rejuvenate the bed.  Some things are so intensively planted that mulch is not really necessary.
Hey yolos.

I  bought a bale of wheat straw from Swint's (I don't remember how much it cost... but I do remember thinking that the price was good).  How long does it take for your straw to break down after you add it to your compost?  In general I mean... rapidly or slowly compared to other things?

Sorry, I don't have the faintest idea.  The only browns I use in my pile are wheat straw or live oak leaves or chipped branches.  It breaks down much faster than leaves.  But because the leaves take so long to break down, my piles take so long to compost that there is no way for me to tell anything about the time frame on the wheat straw.

Are you sure that was wheat straw you bought at swint's.  I have never seen any wheat straw there.  They do have pine straw and beautiful bales of Bermuda grass hay sitting in front of the store but I wouldn't buy that.  When did you buy your wheat straw.
yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wheat Straw

Post  Windmere on 8/10/2014, 9:54 am

@yolos wrote:
@Windmere wrote:
Hey yolos.

Sorry, I don't have the faintest idea.  The only browns I use in my pile are wheat straw or live oak leaves or chipped branches.  It breaks down much faster than leaves.  But because the leaves take so long to break down, my piles take so long to compost that there is no way for me to tell anything about the time frame on the wheat straw.

Are you sure that was wheat straw you bought at swint's.  I have never seen any wheat straw there.  They do have pine straw and beautiful bales of Bermuda grass hay sitting in front of the store but I wouldn't buy that.  When did you buy your wheat straw.
I bought the straw at the beginning of spring.  I'm pretty sure it is wheat because it has wheat heads.  In fact, come to think of it, I asked to verify it was wheat, and I bought it because of reading one of your older posts. I have not put it in compost pile (that was dumb), because I bought it for my potatoes.  Unfortunately, I didn't think ahead for compost.

Last edited by Windmere on 8/10/2014, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/10/2014, 12:02 pm

This might happen to you too.

One particular bale of wheat straw I spread on top of my compost pile to keep it from drying out.  The wheat on top of the compost pile germinated.  The bale of wheat in front of the compost pile was put there too keep it warm during the winter.  This picture was taken in March 2013.
yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/11/2014, 1:04 am

Yolos,  Your photo was timely for me.  There were wheat heads in the bedding straw I used for building my compost.  I was also going to try straw as mulch so now I am going through the straw for mulch with a fine toothed comb!   thanks 

Windmere,  I just came in from building Compost #6.  I used only virgin bedding straw as browns so you will have your answer regarding the speed of straw composting within a few weeks.  Very Happy
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15085

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum