Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 1:56 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  TGCooper on 8/10/2014, 2:42 pm

I am starting my first SFG on s balcony, sow will be starting small with two 2 x 4 boxes and probably adding another two in the fall or winter.   I have the first box built (great fun project with my son) and have been searching around Houston for the components for Mel's mix.   I came across a retailer yesterday that probably carries enough different composts, but they also had a mix that they claim is based on the SFG recipe for Mel's Mix.  May run be just a bit more, but there would not be the leftovers as with the 5 composts and others if I make my own.  Before I go forward with this, I wanted to inquire on two points:
a) Anyone here has had experience with this mix - Lady Bug Brands Raised Bed Mix.  Any input pro or con would be greatly appreiciated. Since i am new, I cannot post a link.

b) The bag and website indicates it contains coir and peat, but no indication of the percentage.  I know from the book that peat is preferred, but again, if anyone has used this, I would appreciate hearing about your results.

Also, this forum is great, I have learned a lot in a few hours browsing around here.
Thanks,
Tom

TGCooper

Male Posts : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  camprn on 8/10/2014, 3:02 pm

Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  sanderson on 8/10/2014, 9:17 pm

@camprn wrote:Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.
+1   With that said, if storage is a real problem, then a ready mix may be the way you have to go.  You will probably have to amend it shortly with some fertilizer.  Just be prepared.  Question:  What are the 5 different composts that you have found?

PS:  A few Newbies have used inferior ready-mix or made the Mel's Mix improperly.   Embarassed   Including me.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12255

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 8/10/2014, 10:21 pm

The Houston Home Depot carries Natures Way Mel's Mix. (has a picture of Mel on the bag) However, member of the forum have reported poor results until they amended the mix with some additional composts/fertilizer.  This might be a start/base.

FYI, I recommend any of the Black Kow products,  Black Kow, Black Hen, and their mushroom compost.  If I had to use the pre-made mix, I would add a bag of Black Hen to every 2 bags of it.  Yes, I know the bag of Black Hen says fertilizer, but it is still made from composted chicken manure.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lady Bug Brand Raised Bed Mix

Post  GloriaG on 8/10/2014, 11:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm near Dallas and used the Lady Bug product in a pinch last year. I wasn't happy with the results from that bed.  The Lady Bug mix is pricy and I believe it just doesn't have the compost blends it needs for good results.  It would probably be fine as a component of MM, but not stand alone.  

Gloria

GloriaG

Female Posts : 425

View user profile http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 8/11/2014, 12:49 pm

@camprn wrote:Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.
agreeeeeeeeeeee!!!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 8/11/2014, 1:32 pm

@walshevak wrote:The Houston Home Depot carries Natures Way Mel's Mix. (has a picture of Mel on the bag) However, member of the forum have reported poor results until they amended the mix with some additional composts/fertilizer.  This might be a start/base.

FYI, I recommend any of the Black Kow products,  Black Kow, Black Hen, and their mushroom compost.  If I had to use the pre-made mix, I would add a bag of Black Hen to every 2 bags of it.  Yes, I know the bag of Black Hen says fertilizer, but it is still made from composted chicken manure.  

Kay
Proceed with caution with the pre-made Nature's Way product.  I've worked with 5 bags and my experience was that quality is inconsistent.  For me, I now use my own MM as a base and might add a little Nature's way to stretch it.

I also like Black Kow.  The cow compost has a great consistency and I've never had a bad bag.  I can't say anything about their chicken and mushroom products because they are always out of stock in my area.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum