Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:13 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:06 pm

» How can we save this tree?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:30 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Today at 1:59 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by yolos Today at 1:21 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by countrynaturals Today at 1:18 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 1:12 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017
by Kelejan Today at 12:46 pm

» Ontario - trying out SFG
by Kelejan Today at 12:39 pm

» List of Forum Members with Blogs
by Cajun Cappy Today at 12:31 pm

» SUGA 2017
by SQWIB Today at 9:26 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:42 am

» who has chickens
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:00 pm

» Rolling Boxes
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» New from OK City
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 pm

» Bok Choy
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm

» North Texas - Square Foot Garden
by kamigh Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:32 pm

» New to SFG!
by Cajun Cappy Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by countrynaturals Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 am

» Need Plant Chart for Nighttime Lows
by Judy McConnell Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 am

» New England March 2017
by camprn Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am

» Collecting Rain Water - Come on Rain!
by newbeone Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 am

» Did I kill my strawberry plants
by bigdogrock Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:05 pm

» Gift Amaryllis
by countrynaturals Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:48 pm

» question about Garlic and winter
by GWN Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 am

» has55's R & D Journey:expanding my SFG to front yard
by AtlantaMarie Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 am

» New garden struggling
by has55 Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28 pm

» Mel's Mix in Utah!
by ralitaco Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  TGCooper on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:42 pm

I am starting my first SFG on s balcony, sow will be starting small with two 2 x 4 boxes and probably adding another two in the fall or winter.   I have the first box built (great fun project with my son) and have been searching around Houston for the components for Mel's mix.   I came across a retailer yesterday that probably carries enough different composts, but they also had a mix that they claim is based on the SFG recipe for Mel's Mix.  May run be just a bit more, but there would not be the leftovers as with the 5 composts and others if I make my own.  Before I go forward with this, I wanted to inquire on two points:
a) Anyone here has had experience with this mix - Lady Bug Brands Raised Bed Mix.  Any input pro or con would be greatly appreiciated. Since i am new, I cannot post a link.

b) The bag and website indicates it contains coir and peat, but no indication of the percentage.  I know from the book that peat is preferred, but again, if anyone has used this, I would appreciate hearing about your results.

Also, this forum is great, I have learned a lot in a few hours browsing around here.
Thanks,
Tom
TGCooper

Male Posts : 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  camprn on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14083

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Lady Bug Brand Rasied Bed Mix - Anyone have experience with it (Austin, TX based company)

Post  sanderson on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 pm

@camprn wrote:Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.
+1   With that said, if storage is a real problem, then a ready mix may be the way you have to go.  You will probably have to amend it shortly with some fertilizer.  Just be prepared.  Question:  What are the 5 different composts that you have found?

PS:  A few Newbies have used inferior ready-mix or made the Mel's Mix improperly.   Embarassed   Including me.
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm

The Houston Home Depot carries Natures Way Mel's Mix. (has a picture of Mel on the bag) However, member of the forum have reported poor results until they amended the mix with some additional composts/fertilizer.  This might be a start/base.

FYI, I recommend any of the Black Kow products,  Black Kow, Black Hen, and their mushroom compost.  If I had to use the pre-made mix, I would add a bag of Black Hen to every 2 bags of it.  Yes, I know the bag of Black Hen says fertilizer, but it is still made from composted chicken manure.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4334

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lady Bug Brand Raised Bed Mix

Post  GloriaG on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm near Dallas and used the Lady Bug product in a pinch last year. I wasn't happy with the results from that bed.  The Lady Bug mix is pricy and I believe it just doesn't have the compost blends it needs for good results.  It would probably be fine as a component of MM, but not stand alone.  

Gloria

GloriaG

Female Posts : 430

View user profile http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:49 pm

@camprn wrote:Yes, some have used it with consistently poor results; you are better off making your own and can control the quality of composts.
agreeeeeeeeeeee!!!
southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:32 pm

@walshevak wrote:The Houston Home Depot carries Natures Way Mel's Mix. (has a picture of Mel on the bag) However, member of the forum have reported poor results until they amended the mix with some additional composts/fertilizer.  This might be a start/base.

FYI, I recommend any of the Black Kow products,  Black Kow, Black Hen, and their mushroom compost.  If I had to use the pre-made mix, I would add a bag of Black Hen to every 2 bags of it.  Yes, I know the bag of Black Hen says fertilizer, but it is still made from composted chicken manure.  

Kay
Proceed with caution with the pre-made Nature's Way product.  I've worked with 5 bags and my experience was that quality is inconsistent.  For me, I now use my own MM as a base and might add a little Nature's way to stretch it.

I also like Black Kow.  The cow compost has a great consistency and I've never had a bad bag.  I can't say anything about their chicken and mushroom products because they are always out of stock in my area.
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum