Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 10:53 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:21 am

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:20 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:09 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:01 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2014 garden = "C-"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2014 garden = "C-"

Post  llama momma on 8/15/2014, 9:14 pm

Can't answer your tater question.
But I can say yippee for your success!!  So enjoyable when things go well.   Smile

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/16/2014, 12:13 am

@southern gardener wrote: Only thing I can't get going are taters....I'm wondering if CA is just not tater country??

I managed some grocery red potatoes in 2 buckets over the winter in the green house.  I didn't know they were determinants and kept adding mix!  They were small but so tasty.  Very Happy  I tried it again this spring and they rotted.   Shocked

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12295

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 8/20/2014, 6:11 pm

Finally got some maters canned today:  from this--

to this--

Isn't the last ping of a jar Just Pure Music?   Laughing

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 8/20/2014, 6:50 pm

Wow very nice. And those tomatoes are so gorgeous! What kind are the big purple ones in the background?

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 8/20/2014, 6:54 pm

Hi Marc,
The lighting changed the true color of those, they were more brownish and were actually black krims.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 8/20/2014, 6:58 pm

This photo might show them better from a different angle with better lighting-

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 8/20/2014, 7:08 pm

I see. They're still really striking looking.

I've heard and read so many good things about Black Krims. I've got a few seeds someone gave me. Next year!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 8/20/2014, 7:51 pm

Sorry you garden did not turn out as you planned.  Your Black Krims look awesome though and better than mine.  I think I will plant them every year as they are very prolific. 

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening on 8/20/2014, 8:58 pm

Sounds like a Farm Bureau agent? My kind of insurance agent!
 Ann was asking why we didn't try growing garlic. I always thought it need some cold weather to set the bulbs, well as usual I was wrong. Just found out we can grow softnecks this far south. I plan to try them this fall. I'm not expecting gourmet types but at least better than the grocery store type. 
 Nice looking maters!

TCgardening

Male Posts : 196

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 8/21/2014, 7:56 am

I agree Marc,
Black Krim does get a lot of high marks.  I've read they have a smokey flavor and I sort of agree with it.  The nutrition profile is supposedly superior too when optimum growing factors are taken into account.   I'm still learning about my likes and dislikes so any variety I grow now ends up getting mixed into whatever I'm making. Some day I'd like to figure out x number of paste tomato plants should result in x number of canned qt jars. 
Btw, all that talk a few posts back on farmers market leniency where I sell??  I must have jinxed it!   There was an Agric. agent there last weekend and basically shut people down for not having labeling in accordance with Ohio cottage industry rules.  Because one person complained.  Blah.  I might do some fancy cookies for the fun of it and stay away from perishable gooey pies which is an issue apparently unless a home bakery license is obtained.  Just like you were suggesting. 

Hi Floyd and thanks, I hope you're having a good year.  Most of the black krims in that picture were clustered together on one branch that looked secure but broke off the plant before all could ripen, it was about 8 pounds or so.  Some smaller ones went on my favorite BLT sandwiches. It's so much fun to grow stuff that I'd normally pay too much for in a restaurant or supermarket.

TCgardening
Thanks on your tomato comment.  Also, he's a multi line agent not a Farm Bureau agent, but he does insure many farms in this area. 
On page 8 in the book,  Growing Great Garlic, Ron Englund says, "in general cold winter climates make all garlics taste hotter."   Thought you might be interested in that little  nugget of knowledge as you choose which garlic to grow.
 Smile

Last edited by llama momma on 8/21/2014, 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit llast line)

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 8/21/2014, 8:41 am

had the best year ever for tomatoes and cuc's. We have frozen six containers of tomato sauce and put up eight bags of frozen tomatoes. The paste tomatoes are just getting ripe so we will have a lot more. We have canned two batches of pickles so far and I have fermented two gallons in the refrig. Eggplant and  tomatillo's rating a C- mainly due  to grasshoppers eating most of the leaves. Winter squash rates an A so far due to some hand pollinating and very aggressive attacks on the squash bugs. They may win in the end but I should get a great crop. BTW I don't have any freezer space left and we still need to find room for a least 6 half gallons of apple cider and a bushel of roasted green chilies and frozen peaches.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 8/21/2014, 1:44 pm

My tomatoes are all doing well; the 'Sugar Lump' cherry is the shining star, so far I have picked 267 of them and they are loaded and continuing to flower. My 'Yellow Pear' which is usually so prolific is less so but producing small amounts steadily. The 'Dixie Golden Giant' is much better than last year and I have picked 1 'Black Krim' with several more on the vines. The 'Herb's Rose' has fruit but none have ripened yet.
Chard and kale much better than last year; carrots have and continue to do well; hopefully the fall beets will be better than the spring ones whcih were disappointing.
Peppers not up to my usual success but I am getting some. The summer weather has been very erratic here which I think is a major factor.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 8/21/2014, 2:30 pm

@llama momma wrote:
Btw, all that talk a few posts back on farmers market leniency where I sell??  I must have jinxed it!   There was an Agric. agent there last weekend and basically shut people down for not having labeling in accordance with Ohio cottage industry rules.  Because one person complained.  Blah.  I might do some fancy cookies for the fun of it and stay away from perishable gooey pies which is an issue apparently unless a home bakery license is obtained.  Just like you were suggesting. 

Bummer to hear that. You could always go to the extra trouble (and fees) of getting that home bakery license, or get a food handler's safety certificate and do all your cooking in a rented commercial kitchen, but that may feel like too much bother unless you're expecting to make regular and significant monies from your foodstuffs. Too bad people will miss out on your pecan pie!

I thought about doing something like that, getting our home kitchen licensed, but was told by people who knew about the process that a house where dogs could wander through the kitchen had no chance of being certified.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 on 8/27/2014, 1:44 pm

Generally disappointing year for me, as well. Just too much cool weather and so many monsoon like rain storms.

Successes:

• First time growing summer squash and zucchini and had great results.
  • Decent results with first attempt at carrots.
  • Great crop of onions. 
  • Started my own seeds inside for first time and it worked well.
  • As of late August, still haven't seen any horn worms. For once! Maybe the nasturtium worked?!

Neither success, nor disappointment:

• First time with pole beans. They got eaten by pill bugs before sprouting, then never ending cool and wet weather. Now that they've taken off, they are out of control, but delicious. Need to rethink my supports next year. Lots of yummy beans, but it's a mess.

Disappointments:

• Tomato crop has been very blah. Had a lot of fungus problems early due to the heavy rains and then just not consistently warm enough. Didn't get my first tomatoes really until late July, and still not very many. Sad
  • Had one big burst of cucumbers in late July and blah otherwise. Afflicted with same issues as tomatoes. Vines are now dying, probably from squash beetles or mildew. 
  • I harvested TWO bell peppers.
  • The poblano seedling I purchased was not a poblano.
  • Almost all my basil was afflicted with diseases.

manda99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Final analysis needs upgrade ; )

Post  llama momma on 10/12/2014, 11:58 am

When I started this thread in Mid August I gave the overall garden a C minus rating. It deserves a  higher grade now that we're into mid October.  Herblover you were so right in August when you said there was still time for tomatoes.

The volume of tomatoes still coming plus the quality of Fall Broccoli along with nice carrots and continuing chard makes me think I was too hard on my little garden! 

The tomatoes didn't grow super tall and bushy but 16 plants in a 2 person household resulted in more toms than I could imagine possible, Rick and I enjoying pounds of broccoli and rutabagas are  looking very nice, overwhelmed with green beans but its all good.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/12/2014, 10:22 pm

I'm glad your garden turned around here at the end of the season. Did you ever see any horn worms?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12295

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/12/2014, 11:09 pm

Ditto; glad things turned around. Grats on all that broccoli too; I love the stuff and can eat it hot or cold, raw or cooked. And supposedly it is incredibly good for you, so there's that too!

Glad the tomatoes worked out for you too! Sixteen for the two of you was enough for you guys, but I could see still wanting more more MORE!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm on 10/13/2014, 1:55 am

Love the canning & mater pics LM!  I did my first shot at canning this year - my peppers were (finally) to be counted among the successes for the year. Smile  So I made pepper jam!

I was laughing when my lids were pinging...they definitely put a smile on my face, hehe.

(the pepper jam is a ridiculous hit so far!  And all my jars sealed properly, first time!)

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV

brainchasm

Male Posts : 463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/13/2014, 3:02 am

Sanderson, yes I saw 2 hornworms. The second one was covered with white eggs. Left it alone since it was dying.  Should've put it in the bird feeder like the first one.  It was kind of gross watching its demise each day and even worse when I accidentally touched it while harvesting.  Got a bad case of the heebie jeebies, shudder, chills, a little salty language. Ruined my usual zen-like garden experience lol.
Marc, oh yesss, broccoli rocks as a super food.  Had some yesterday very simply steamed with melted cheese.  It's so nice to walk right past the broccs and tomatoes and jarred sauce, etc. in the supermarket thinking, no thanks, got it growing out back and fresh as can be.
Brainchasm, your pics were terrific.  I love the pinging sound too.  I admit I pulled up a chair more than once right up to the counter to listen and watch the pinging.  Been splashed in the eye from checking a lid up close with water still on top. Then Ping, perfect timing, wet face.    
I know, That's some silly rookie canning behavior.  Wink

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 10/13/2014, 2:06 pm

As my Mom will say to Ivy Purl (her dog); that pind is "music to momma and sissie's ears"!

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/13/2014, 2:13 pm

Very Happy   Very Happy

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down