Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Using city water, how does your comsumption increase
by No_Such_Reality Today at 10:23 am

» Coffee Substitute?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:27 am

» Howdy, from Central Florida
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:26 am

» Biochar?
by SQWIB Today at 8:18 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 8:09 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 3:42 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:32 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 3:24 am

» Compost pit?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/21/2017, 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/21/2017, 5:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 4:10 pm

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid 10/21/2017, 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Suckers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tomato Suckers

Post  greatgranny on 9/1/2014, 3:18 pm

I am totally amazed at the advice that is shared here.  Someone, maybe 2 years ago, said that if a sucker  gets really big before you take it off that you can plant it and it will get roots and grow.  Well, it worked.  I have 3 that survived.  Only one problem - they will have to come inside to survive beyond the frost. 

I have this really huge planter from an indoor tree that finally died and I put one in there.  I have a sunroom which has windows that have cedar as the trim.  No varnish.  So, I took a couple of cup hooks and put one at the top and one at the bottom and strung a bit of twine.  It's looking pretty happy right now.  If it survives beyond this week, I will take a picture.  It is blooming.  The other 2 are outdoors yet.  Think I will leave them out there until we are near frost.  Also going to add some herbs to the mix when I have the time to dig them up.  (not yet) 

When I enclosed a porch about 10 years ago and made it into a sunroom I never even thought of doing this. Wonder if lettuce would survive.  Yes, I will probably have to get some grow lights since I live in zone 4.
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 652
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  yolos on 9/1/2014, 5:41 pm

I tried the sucker planting last year.  I put them in pots and then put the pots on a wagon.  That way, I could pull the wagon into the garage when frost was threatened.  I had tomatoes until Christmas.  I got tired of taking the wagon in and out of the garage and finally just let them get frozen one night.




They were also hit with some kind of disease and I had to trim the bottom branches so they look kind of funny.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3267
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  greatgranny on 9/1/2014, 6:06 pm

yolos wrote:I tried the sucker planting last year.  I put them in pots and then put the pots on a wagon.  That way, I could pull the wagon into the garage when frost was threatened.  I had tomatoes until Christmas.  I got tired of taking the wagon in and out of the garage and finally just let them get frozen one night.

They were also hit with some kind of disease and I had to trim the bottom branches so they look kind of funny.

If I lived in the south I would do it more.  This will be the first time I have attempted this.
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 652
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  manda99 on 9/2/2014, 1:32 pm

I always replant cuttings. I start with just a couple tomato seedlings and then keep replanting whenever I trim off a sucker. I ended up with about 15 (?) tomato plants this year. As I pull up early crops like lettuce, I just fill the square with another tomato cutting.
avatar
manda99

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-05-01
Location : Chicagoland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  greatgranny on 9/2/2014, 2:00 pm

manda99 wrote:I always replant cuttings. I start with just a couple tomato seedlings and then keep replanting whenever I trim off a sucker. I ended up with about 15 (?) tomato plants this year. As I pull up early crops like lettuce, I just fill the square with another tomato cutting.
Thanks for sharing that. I think I will do a sharing with my grandkids who have gardens.  Maybe that will help their budget next year.
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 652
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  yolos on 9/2/2014, 2:05 pm

greatgranny wrote:
manda99 wrote:I always replant cuttings. I start with just a couple tomato seedlings and then keep replanting whenever I trim off a sucker. I ended up with about 15 (?) tomato plants this year. As I pull up early crops like lettuce, I just fill the square with another tomato cutting.
Thanks for sharing that. I think I will do a sharing with my grandkids who have gardens.  Maybe that will help their budget next year.

My tomato plants get some disease or other right off the bat.  So I no longer take cuttings from the diseased plants.  Next year I need to stagger planting dates.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3267
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  manda99 on 9/2/2014, 2:42 pm

yolos wrote:
greatgranny wrote:
manda99 wrote:I always replant cuttings. I start with just a couple tomato seedlings and then keep replanting whenever I trim off a sucker. I ended up with about 15 (?) tomato plants this year. As I pull up early crops like lettuce, I just fill the square with another tomato cutting.
Thanks for sharing that. I think I will do a sharing with my grandkids who have gardens.  Maybe that will help their budget next year.

My tomato plants get some disease or other right off the bat.  So I no longer take cuttings from the diseased plants.  Next year I need to stagger planting dates.
I live in Chicago, so this isn't a continuous thing since all our plants die by October at the latest. Smile I just do this throughout the summer.
avatar
manda99

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-05-01
Location : Chicagoland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomato Suckers

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum