Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:16 pm

» In between
by newbeone Today at 4:45 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 3:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 2:57 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Today at 2:52 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by landarch Today at 2:30 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:40 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Today at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Today at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Today at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Today at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sept tomatoes

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sept tomatoes

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/3/2014, 5:47 pm

I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. I couldn't eat anything hot for a while, for fear of dissolving the blood clots and causing bleeding. So I ate a lot of cold food and diced food that I could just swallow or break down a bit by rubbing it against the roof of my mouth with my tongue. A small dice of boiled or steamed veggies or chicken or potato is pretty easy to digest even if you don't chew it at all. It wasn't so bad. The worry about opening up the hole again, after the initial day or so of pain from the pulls, was worse. Until then, I napped and slept a lot. Pain makes me shut down and get very sleepy.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 9/3/2014, 7:18 pm

Marc,

When I had my four wisdom teeth extracted when I was my in early 20s, I recall sitting in the dental chair, enjoying a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, and feeling like the dentist was pulling my head off.

All I can remember of my diet was eating a lot of yogurt, which I'd thought I wouldn't like.  Little did I know....

To stay on topic, I wonder how soon I'll be able to eat things like berries, tomatoes, beans, squash, etc.  I Just ordered a 4.2 cubic-foot freezer for the overflow.  And more peas are coming on!  Not to mention some corn....

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/3/2014, 8:09 pm

@johnp wrote: the san marzano has gone nuts, the best producer I have had. All in all the best year ever for tomatoes, we have almost filled up the freezer and the shed freezer with tomatoes and sauce.
Shocked That's a lot of tomatoes!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11691

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/3/2014, 8:52 pm

I guess you want to go easy on things that thin the blood much, Donna ... aspirin and fish oil and such.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 9/5/2014, 4:04 pm

Like many, my tomato plants are getting blight and looking bad while producing well. I have picked 700+ 'Sugar Lump' cherries, and will finally pick the first 'Herb's Rose' today.  Not sure I will plant that again because it is so pokey.  Froze 2 pints of Italian Roasted Tomatoes this week and will probably be making another batch of Roasted Tomato Soup to freeze as well.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 9/6/2014, 5:55 am

Yesterday I was chopping and draining tomatoes to make Annie's Salsa.  It was very surprising to see how much is drained away in the process so I used far more tomatoes than anticipated.   Chopping seemed like forever.  The longer the tomatoes sat there the more juice would drain out and it seemed like I'd never get 8 cups for this recipe.  Towards the end I was chopping faster and faster trying to keep ahead of this Maniac Drain Game.  Lol, Lesson Learned.  All I had on hand were large juicy bi-colored Hillbilly's and a couple of Solar Flare toms. These are so pretty and tasty-juicy but I won't use them next time.  Finally reached 8 cups.  Next came the even smaller chopped size of onions and peppers, added the other ingredients and was able to can 5 pints instead of 6 that the recipe claimed.  At serving time I'll add the paste and plain sauce for texture. I'm looking at the finished canned jars and thinking this better be the best dang salsa in Ohio....What an adventure for this newbie canner of one year   Smile

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4584

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/6/2014, 7:36 am

@Denese wrote:Llama Momma, that's quite a harvest!  They look delicious!  I've harvested about 10 of my Brandywines, which are still putting on tomatoes.  They've weighed anywhere from 14 oz. to 1 lb. 6 ozs.  They're beautiful and sweet, but they're not as acidic as I'd like.  Any suggestions on a tomato that's big for sandwiches, is sweet, but still has an acidic kick?
Looks like I'm late to the party.

Denese, l grow Super Beefsteaks for sandwiches & Super Sonics for the same kick in an earlier and slightly smaller version.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 9/6/2014, 8:28 am

Herblover

Roasted tomato soup sounds soooo wonderful.  Especially with our cooler temperatures coming supposedly starting today.  This morning I recovered from Annie's salsa so it will be roasted tomato soup day. 

Donna

Poor baby!  I've been there and done that too. No fun at all. I dearly Hope you are feeling much better. I've had a couple wisdom teeth pulled in my adult years and it's a trip...

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 9/6/2014, 6:33 pm

@johnp wrote:I had just the opposite of what llama momma  had with the san marzanos. I lost three of my first planting of my paste tomatoes to frost and went to the greenhouse and bought romas and one san marzano. The two romas were not romas but some dark red pool ball sized bland tomatoes but  the san marzano has gone nuts, the best producer I have had. All in all the best year ever for tomatoes, we have almost filled up the freezer and the shed freezer with tomatoes and sauce.

Did you plant the San Marzano or the Super?

floyd1440

Male Posts : 784

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/6/2014, 6:46 pm

@llama momma wrote:Yesterday I was chopping and draining tomatoes to make Annie's Salsa.  It was very surprising to see how much is drained away in the process so I used far more tomatoes than anticipated.   Chopping seemed like forever.  The longer the tomatoes sat there the more juice would drain out and it seemed like I'd never get 8 cups for this recipe.  Towards the end I was chopping faster and faster trying to keep ahead of this Maniac Drain Game.  Lol, Lesson Learned.  All I had on hand were large juicy bi-colored Hillbilly's and a couple of Solar Flare toms. These are so pretty and tasty-juicy but I won't use them next time.  Finally reached 8 cups.  Next came the even smaller chopped size of onions and peppers, added the other ingredients and was able to can 5 pints instead of 6 that the recipe claimed.  At serving time I'll add the paste and plain sauce for texture. I'm looking at the finished canned jars and thinking this better be the best dang salsa in Ohio....What an adventure for this newbie canner of one year   Smile

There's this Spanish guy, I forget the name ... he used to have a TV show on PBS and is supposedly one of the most highly regarded chefs in the world, an idol to even the masters kinda thing. He saves tomato juice, the juice from the seed cavity, and lets it filter out through cheesecloth, then he simmers it down into small amounts of a clear essence of tomato that he says has an amazingly intense flavor that adds a big bang to any dish.

So save the juice! Even if you don't want all of it and just simmer it down, you've got a potential flavor powerhouse in that clear runny juice.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 9/7/2014, 9:34 am

I didn't know there was a super san marzano. The tomatoes are regular size just a whole bunch of them.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 9/8/2014, 7:38 pm

@johnp wrote:I didn't know there was a super san marzano. The tomatoes are regular size just a whole bunch of them.

My neighbor already bought some for next year and swears by them.  Says they are larger and produce earlier.  I will grow them from seed for him and try some next year........

floyd1440

Male Posts : 784

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 9/8/2014, 10:45 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:
@llama momma wrote:Yesterday I was chopping and draining tomatoes to make Annie's Salsa.  It was very surprising to see how much is drained away in the process so I used far more tomatoes than anticipated.   Chopping seemed like forever.  The longer the tomatoes sat there the more juice would drain out and it seemed like I'd never get 8 cups for this recipe.  Towards the end I was chopping faster and faster trying to keep ahead of this Maniac Drain Game.  Lol, Lesson Learned.  All I had on hand were large juicy bi-colored Hillbilly's and a couple of Solar Flare toms. These are so pretty and tasty-juicy but I won't use them next time.  Finally reached 8 cups.  Next came the even smaller chopped size of onions and peppers, added the other ingredients and was able to can 5 pints instead of 6 that the recipe claimed.  At serving time I'll add the paste and plain sauce for texture. I'm looking at the finished canned jars and thinking this better be the best dang salsa in Ohio....What an adventure for this newbie canner of one year   Smile

There's this Spanish guy, I forget the name ... he used to have a TV show on PBS and is supposedly one of the most highly regarded chefs in the world, an idol to even the masters kinda thing. He saves tomato juice, the juice from the seed cavity, and lets it filter out through cheesecloth, then he simmers it down into small amounts of a clear essence of tomato that he says has an amazingly intense flavor that adds a big bang to any dish.

So save the juice! Even if you don't want all of it and just simmer it down, you've got a potential flavor powerhouse in that clear runny juice.

Ah, here we go ... Jose Andres ...

From NPR at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4763920

One final note about tomatoes and their humble seeds: Most people discard them when cooking tomatoes. But trust me, they are a hidden treasure. To harvest the "filet" (as the cluster of seeds is called), take a sharp knife and slice off the ends of a ripe tomato. You'll see there is an exterior wall of tomato flesh around the circumference of the tomato and interior walls running into the tomato's center that separate it into segments. Gently cut through the outer wall of the tomato and one of the dividing walls. Carefully peel back the outer wall of the tomato to expose the seeds. Slide your knife underneath the seed mass and remove. Your aim is to keep the pulp of the seeds together to create tomato-seed "filets."

This seed mass, or what we sometimes call "tomato caviar," can be a new way of adding tomato flavor to a dish. It offers small, bright bursts of pure tomato flavor encased in an amazing natural gelatin and is super refreshing. I like to use them in salads or as a garnish for gazpacho.

He got more into the tomato water aspect of it on his show. Here's a recipe, though from Epicurious and not from him:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tomato-Water-15232

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 9/24/2014, 2:05 pm

Yikes!  I managed to protect my tomatoes from the two light frosts we had this month, but now it's raining!  Not to mention that we're supposed to get about 1.5" of the stuff by Monday or so....

Am thinking either of picking or covering.  Many are plump and just about ready to start ripening.  

What does everyone think?  

I may decide to do some of each, picking from one bed and covering the other.  In this regard, I wonder if a waterproof mattress pad would do the job?

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/24/2014, 7:06 pm

1.5" of what??? I hope you mean rain.  If not, I'd pick em all.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/24/2014, 7:12 pm

1 1/2" of rain?  You're going to get a half a year's worth of rain by Monday??  Shocked Oh, wait, that's what we get here.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 9/24/2014, 8:21 pm

Our average rainfall here is 12" per year, much of which falls as snow.

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

October Tomatoes in Ohio

Post  llama momma on 10/17/2014, 7:10 pm

Well this tomato is almost 2 ounces bigger than my last biggest tomato.  I'm just shocked it came from a late planted sucker and eventually grew to this size in cooler October temperatures.  I was not expecting this at all. 
Together with the other tomatoes todays harvest was 6 and 1/2 pounds.  I wonder if the cooler temperatures will ruin the flavor, does anyone know?

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=233&u=17929449

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/17/2014, 7:21 pm

The flavor on mine isn't being ruined, but it's not as intense. They still beat the heck out of store-bought.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 10/17/2014, 7:35 pm

Thanks  a bunch Marc.
 I'll make sure to cook down these late tomatoes into a pizza sauce with spices to extract all the flavor that's left.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/17/2014, 7:45 pm

I may turn mine into gazpacho. I always put onion into mine, so no matter what I'll still get a flavor kick, and fresh gazpacho mid-winter should be a real treat.

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 10/18/2014, 11:43 am

I find that the last late tomatoes, even when fully red ripe, do not develop as much sugar and can make a rather acrid sauce/paste.  So I sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar over a big baking pan of tomatoes roasting for sauce and do not tell anyone.  

I have not done anything yet with tomato strainings except drink it fresh with gusto.  DH likes it spiked with siracha.  Usually when making Anna's I just forget to strain it and do not worry about it, but I do add some paste and grow mostly paste types.  Considering that we are canning this salsa I think next year I will roast the tomatoes first and thus concentrate the flavors.  

I am also wondering if it is time to pick all that are left and let them ripen inside in boxes.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT

Turan

Female Posts : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/18/2014, 7:46 pm

It's getting perilously close to time to worry about that, over here. First frost tends to come anytime from a couple of days ago to a week from now. It's gambling time!

Marc Iverson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/19/2014, 2:35 am

I have one blushing tomato on the last volunteer plant. It will be gone within 30 seconds when it's picked. I can't believe the frosts are coming.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/19/2014, 8:25 am

I picked 5 quarts of tomatoes yesterday!  And there's more still coming (and blooming!).

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3607

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: