Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» excited to be here!
by Kate888 Today at 2:57 pm

» The New Square Foot Gardening Foundation page is now online!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:12 pm

» Seed Organizing Ideas
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:10 pm

» Invasive Tree Roots - Very important topic for newbies.
by Yardslave Today at 11:38 am

» February: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by Yardslave Today at 11:25 am

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by sanderson Today at 9:51 am

» A new SFG fan from Texas
by sanderson Today at 12:27 am

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by yolos Yesterday at 11:06 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:00 pm

» N&C Midwest: February 2018 !
by farmersgranddaughter Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:58 pm

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by Turan Yesterday at 12:43 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:16 am

» New England Feb 2018
by sanderson 2/17/2018, 8:14 pm

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Scorpio Rising 2/17/2018, 11:42 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by has55 2/17/2018, 8:17 am

» SUGA 2018
by SQWIB 2/16/2018, 3:15 pm

» LED grow lights......any advice?
by sanderson 2/15/2018, 12:08 pm

» Mystery plant - need ID please
by yolos 2/14/2018, 8:44 pm

» new to the site from Arkansas
by Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:36 pm

» Hiya from Massachussets
by Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:31 pm

» What I learned this year
by Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:21 pm

» Happy Valentine's Day!
by Scorpio Rising 2/14/2018, 8:19 pm

» Jicama
by countrynaturals 2/14/2018, 3:29 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in February 2018?
by Kelejan 2/14/2018, 1:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 2/13/2018, 10:10 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 2/13/2018, 7:32 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson 2/13/2018, 2:57 am

» Spotted Lanternfly in Virginia
by sanderson 2/12/2018, 11:28 pm

» Home Depot Planter Wall Block
by sanderson 2/12/2018, 10:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-South: September, 2014

Go down

Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  AtlantaMarie on 9/2/2014, 9:02 am

Got to do some driving this weekend thru upper GA & most of TN. 

Up on the Cumberland Plateau, leaves are losing their green and JUST starting to turn yellow.  My friend Elaine has already put up 184 quarts of tomato sauce and blueberry jam and I don't know what else!  (Traditional row gardener, but I love her anyway.)

In West TN, towards Jackson, the milo is growing nicely, field corn is drying on the stalks (between raindrops), and, I believe, soy is off & running.  Did see one disturbing thing over towards the town of Green Frog:  "Monsanto Road".   Really?  That's very sad...  Why encourage them?

Here is a link to the National Gardening Association Mid-South September Report:

http://www.garden.org/regional/report?action=zipsearch&zip=30519&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

There's all sorts of interesting articles on what the chores are for this month, gardening techniques, events, etc.

In my garden, the Romas are going full-blast along with the okra.  I'm allowing the remainder of my pole beans to stay on for next year seeding.  My watermelons didn't do well at all.  And I only got 2 zukes from my one plant.

But it's all good.  It's a learning process!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4426
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  sanderson on 9/2/2014, 12:33 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:
But it's all good.  It's a learning process!

So true. From Still Learning
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15376
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  AtlantaMarie on 9/25/2014, 8:53 am

The north metro area of Atlanta is the southern edge of middle south.  Maple leaves are starting to turn red & yellow.  The last couple of mornings, it's been in the low 50's and never gets out of the low 70's.  Nice breeze. 

I've got some vine going absolutely nuts in the garden.  Haven't figured out what it is yet.  But it tried to grab the neighbor's boat again.  Sections of it must reach 20 feet!

Tomatoes still going strong.  Getting lots of okra seeds.  Greek basil needs cutting badly.

Are cabbages that have been growing all season going to be bitter or are they okay?

Already buying more vermiculite for more beds next spring...  happy2
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4426
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  yolos on 9/25/2014, 11:44 am

@AtlantaMarie wrote:The north metro area of Atlanta is the southern edge of middle south.  Maple leaves are starting to turn red & yellow.  The last couple of mornings, it's been in the low 50's and never gets out of the low 70's.  Nice breeze. 

Fayetteville, Ga is the southern border of the middle south based on this website.  Fayetteville zip code is 30214.  Brooks, GA (15 minutes south of Fayetteville) is the upper border of the lower south (zip code 30205).  That puts me in the lower south but my weather is more in line with middle south so I usually post here.
http://www.garden.org/regional/report
Our highs this last week have been 79-83.  Still hot when working in the middle of a sunny day but yes, the cooler breeze in the morning and evening is nice.

I have planted peas and broccoli.  My seed packets of carrots, radish, lettuce, and spinach are sitting on my kitchen counter but I am saving my energy for cleaning up the garden so these seeds probably won't get planted.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3353
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 68
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  Windmere on 9/26/2014, 10:32 am

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Got to do some driving this weekend thru upper GA & most of TN. 

Up on the Cumberland Plateau, leaves are losing their green and JUST starting to turn yellow.  My friend Elaine has already put up 184 quarts of tomato sauce and blueberry jam and I don't know what else!  (Traditional row gardener, but I love her anyway.)

In West TN, towards Jackson, the milo is growing nicely, field corn is drying on the stalks (between raindrops), and, I believe, soy is off & running.  Did see one disturbing thing over towards the town of Green Frog:  "Monsanto Road".   Really?  That's very sad...  Why encourage them?

Here is a link to the National Gardening Association Mid-South September Report:

http://www.garden.org/regional/report?action=zipsearch&zip=30519&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

There's all sorts of interesting articles on what the chores are for this month, gardening techniques, events, etc.

In my garden, the Romas are going full-blast along with the okra.  I'm allowing the remainder of my pole beans to stay on for next year seeding.  My watermelons didn't do well at all.  And I only got 2 zukes from my one plant.

But it's all good.  It's a learning process!
So sad that they are going to stop running a regional report.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 49
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  AtlantaMarie on 9/27/2014, 7:56 am

Hadn't heard that!!  Too bad...

Thanks for that info, Yolos.  Good to know!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4426
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  Pollinator on 9/28/2014, 12:45 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:

Are cabbages that have been growing all season going to be bitter or are they okay?

They should get better. A little frost will sweeten up any of the cole crops.
avatar
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

View user profile http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  AtlantaMarie on 9/30/2014, 7:21 pm

Oh, that's good!  Thanks, Pollinator!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4426
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  walshevak on 10/1/2014, 9:39 am

@yolos wrote:
@AtlantaMarie wrote:The north metro area of Atlanta is the southern edge of middle south.  Maple leaves are starting to turn red & yellow.  The last couple of mornings, it's been in the low 50's and never gets out of the low 70's.  Nice breeze. 

Fayetteville, Ga is the southern border of the middle south based on this website.  Fayetteville zip code is 30214.  Brooks, GA (15 minutes south of Fayetteville) is the upper border of the lower south (zip code 30205).  That puts me in the lower south but my weather is more in line with middle south so I usually post here.
http://www.garden.org/regional/report
Our highs this last week have been 79-83.  Still hot when working in the middle of a sunny day but yes, the cooler breeze in the morning and evening is nice.

I have planted peas and broccoli.  My seed packets of carrots, radish, lettuce, and spinach are sitting on my kitchen counter but I am saving my energy for cleaning up the garden so these seeds probably won't get planted.
Lower south actually runs all the way to Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA. and catches me here in the Northeast corner of NC.  It's because of the Gulf Stream that runs right off the coast.  Just 5 miles or so to the West is Mid South.  

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4364
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 75
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mid-South: September, 2014

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum