Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Disappointed...Italian Long Hots...and tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:45 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Judy McConnell Today at 3:08 pm

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Today at 2:20 pm

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:49 am

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by has55 Today at 6:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:49 am

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2017, 9:01 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver 11/22/2017, 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 11/22/2017, 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How did you make out this year?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/12/2014, 6:13 pm

Johnp, instead of reducing crops, can you just can or freeze or dehydrate the excess?
avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Dunkinjean on 10/12/2014, 6:20 pm

Let's see, it's been a mixed bag.

I tried a 4x4 box of corn - tried to help it pollinate, but it did terrible. On the bright side I have nice corn stalks for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

My pole beans for some reason for the 1st time developed some sort of leaf problem, therefore only half the amount I normally receive.

My cucumbers always flunk out - I don't know why I even try!

I got 3 pumpkins from 5 vines. But the 1st two pumpkins got pecked by the birds and squirrels and rotted. Luckily I still have the last one.

My garlic did fabulous!

My peas did ok.
My lettuces not as well as in the past.
My only pepper also always produces very little.
My tomatoes have been slow growing in the beginning, but are still producing. I am making tomato sauce from them and putting them into foodsaver freezer bags.

Each year some veg's do better than others but I love gardening!
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 63
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Dunkinjean on 10/12/2014, 6:21 pm

Oh my goodness - I almost forgot I grew Kennelbeck potatoes and they did wonderfully!
avatar
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 675
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 63
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Goosegirl on 10/12/2014, 7:09 pm

@boffer wrote:
@brainchasm wrote:...I forgot to amend the mix this winter when I cleared the beds...

Been there; done that enough times that I had to get pro-active! dangit

This pretty much sums up my year! Forgot to amend my beds, had a great start with great rainfall, then total neglect on my part as I stressed over the looooooong application and hiring process for my new job (which I got, and LOVE!!!). Beans did great, onions did pretty well (still need to pull them) and everything else was a neglected bust except the box of volunteer cilantro which crowded out and shaded my carrots so completely that my supposedly 12" St. Valery carrots are barely threadlike roots.

There is always next year!
avatar
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3412
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 52
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  sanderson on 10/13/2014, 1:45 am

@Goosegirl wrote:
There is always next year!
That's been my motto all summer! Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  johnp on 10/13/2014, 7:29 am

Marc we canned and froze until we ran out of space. The tomato juice recipe was the biggest help as it gets rid of three lbs. of tom's at a time. My goal this year is to use all the stuff we have put up by the time we start next year.
avatar
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 72
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st SFG attempt 2014

Post  FeedMeSeeMore on 10/13/2014, 2:54 pm

Hi,
Big Win category: Cucumbers, Swiss chard, basil, carrots, romaine lettuce and green bell peppers.
In the Fail category: Onions(packaged bulbs from WM). Yellow squash and zucchini (non-stop squash borers and moldy stuff on the flowers.)
Win some, lose some category: All tomatoes. (blight and horn worms) The best producer being a little hybrid grape tomato seedling from HD.

Used MM to a tee. Added 5 lbs. of semi-cured fresh farm cow manure near the bottom of our 4 X 7 box. When forced to water with city water it was treated with pond chlorine remover. The rest was an abundance of rain. Fertilized the heavy feeders once a month during with a tblsp. of commercial organic fertilizer per square and extra compost on top.

Then.... an Anahu tomato in a crumbling plastic pail which came from last place after everything else was yanked out and turned into the "plants gone wild" pic below. Right now it has lots of flowers and about 6 green tomatoes. No fertilizer, compost or anything for the last 3 months.
avatar
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 142
Join date : 2014-05-06
Location : Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  brainchasm on 10/13/2014, 3:29 pm

@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Hi,
Big Win category: Cucumbers, Swiss chard, basil, carrots, romaine lettuce and green bell peppers.
In the Fail category: Onions(packaged bulbs from WM). Yellow squash and zucchini (non-stop squash borers and moldy stuff on the flowers.)
Win some, lose some category: All tomatoes. (blight and horn worms) The best producer being a little hybrid grape tomato seedling from HD.

Used MM to a tee. Added 5 lbs. of semi-cured fresh farm cow manure near the bottom of our 4 X 7 box. When forced to water with city water it was treated with pond chlorine remover. The rest was an abundance of rain. Fertilized the heavy feeders once a month during with a tblsp. of commercial organic fertilizer per square and extra compost on top.

Then.... an Anahu tomato in a crumbling plastic pail which came from last place after everything else was yanked out and turned into the "plants gone wild" pic below. Right now it has lots of flowers and about 6 green tomatoes. No fertilizer, compost or anything for the last 3 months.
I would be very hesitant to dechlorinate city water...
The chlorine in standard city tap is very low, and basically gets complete used up as soon as the water gets into the soil.  While trace chlorine is important to fish because free-standing water can keep measurable chlorine for a day or so, garden/vegetable plants aren't subject to standing water, and are hardier anyway.

By dechlorinating, you may very well have introduced a breathtaking amount of sulfur into your gardens in the form of a salt (sodium thiosulfate).  I can't imagine any scenario where this would be a good thing...

____________________________

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked

My garden progress:
MyFolia.com - Garden Tracking Community Find more about Weather in Las Vegas, NV
avatar
brainchasm

Male Posts : 463
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 41
Location : Las Vegas, NV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/13/2014, 3:38 pm

Still in full swing in my garden but I don't know for how long.  

Lettuce, leafy greens, beans, peas, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, carrots, chives/scallions and daikon.

Due to unusually cool weather this year the tomatoes, beans & peppers didn't get moving til mid summer when the temp went above 75 for a few days.  But the greens were stellar as usual except for the chard.  Not sure what that's all about.  The beets did well in the spring but not now.  New boxes didn't do as well as older boxes so that may be part of the beet issue.  But I was able to get cucumbers for the first time!  And summer squash for a while.

A successful year to me is when I don't have to fill my weekly lettuce bucket or soup pot from store bought all spring, summer and fall. Every year is different and there's always some successes in there somewhere.  All in all, this WAS & still IS a good year.
What a Face
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  FeedMeSeeMore on 10/13/2014, 3:50 pm

@brainchasm wrote:
I would be very hesitant to dechlorinate city water...
The chlorine in standard city tap is very low, and basically gets complete used up as soon as the water gets into the soil.  While trace chlorine is important to fish because free-standing water can keep measurable chlorine for a day or so, garden/vegetable plants aren't subject to standing water, and are hardier anyway.

By dechlorinating, you may very well have introduced a breathtaking amount of sulfur into your gardens in the form of a salt (sodium thiosulfate).  I can't imagine any scenario where this would be a good thing...

I got the idea off the internet. Our tap water smells so badly of bleach it's truly gag-worthy. It did not seem to hurt the plants, but I'm certainly open to warnings if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think it was breathtaking amounts,(anyway I hope not) because we got so much rain, I hardly had to water it myself. Will re-research. study
avatar
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 142
Join date : 2014-05-06
Location : Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  yolos on 10/13/2014, 4:11 pm

@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Hi,

Then.... an Anahu tomato in a crumbling plastic pail which came from last place after everything else was yanked out and turned into the "plants gone wild" pic below. Right now it has lots of flowers and about 6 green tomatoes. No fertilizer, compost or anything for the last 3 months.
I saw this picture and recognized the soil in the background.  I thought this person must be growing in Ga because of the red clay in the background.  Sure enough, FeedMe, don't you love the mels mix instead of that clay.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  FeedMeSeeMore on 10/13/2014, 4:31 pm

@yolos wrote:
@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Hi,

Then.... an Anahu tomato in a crumbling plastic pail which came from last place after everything else was yanked out and turned into the "plants gone wild" pic below. Right now it has lots of flowers and about 6 green tomatoes. No fertilizer, compost or anything for the last 3 months.
I saw this picture and recognized the soil in the background.  I thought this person must be growing in Ga because of the red clay in the background.  Sure enough, FeedMe, don't you love the mels mix instead of that clay.

Wow, are your eyes observant. Oh, yes. I heart MM. Every year I marvel at how the farmers who till up that red stuff every year and grow food make it work. I'm guessing that it's heavily amended, but who has access to a ton of manure, and the time(years?) to invest.  I think MM is like a miracle formula.
avatar
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 142
Join date : 2014-05-06
Location : Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/13/2014, 4:35 pm

That misty/foggy pic makes your garden look so pretty, CC.

Those tall white flowers pn the left-hand side in one of your trellised beds ... they look almost like daikon flowers to me. What are they?
avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/13/2014, 4:36 pm

FMSM -- let's hope you get some more tomatoes in time before winter sets in!
avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/13/2014, 4:56 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:That misty/foggy pic makes your garden look so pretty, CC.

Those tall white flowers pn the left-hand side in one of your trellised beds ... they look almost like daikon flowers to me. What are they?
Thanks, Mark.  We're having alot of morning fog lately:


Those white flowers in the other photo are actually Montauk daisies.  Even though they look like they are on top of the pole bean trellis, they are actually in the perennial garden on the far side of the yard.    lol

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/13/2014, 5:45 pm

Ah I see.

That last picture reminds me of the opening of Tales From the Darkside.
avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you make out this year?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum