Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New Forum Feature
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:09 am

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by has55 Today at 3:32 am

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» heirloom seed companies around a lot of the world
by ralitaco Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» What about ink on newspaper and cardboard for mulch?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» Green Ice Leaf Lettuce
by MrBooker Yesterday at 4:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:17 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:00 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:22 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:23 am

» New England January 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:20 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:13 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco 1/17/2017, 11:23 pm

» Gardening Australia
by IrishDigger 1/17/2017, 10:01 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:49 pm

» Anyone want walking onions??
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:22 pm

» How much to plant?
by trolleydriver 1/17/2017, 2:48 pm

» January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 2:22 pm

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 2:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 1:49 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by CapeCoddess 1/17/2017, 1:23 pm

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:34 pm

» Crop rotation
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:02 pm

» Creamy Basil Pesto
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 11:46 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 11:02 am

» Zera (TM) Food Recycler - kitchen composting
by BeetlesPerSqFt 1/17/2017, 10:40 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim 1/17/2017, 8:48 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 1/16/2017, 11:37 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Windmere on 10/1/2014, 8:25 am

Hi all.  I have a desperate question:  I am in the process of planting some ranunculus for my wife.  I prepared some MM for a large pot.  Ranunculus needs well drained soil.  Unfortunately, the soil I prepared is gummy and does not drain well.   What do you think I need to add to fix it?

Thanks all.  Smile

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  walshevak on 10/1/2014, 9:52 am

@Windmere wrote:Hi all.  I have a desperate question:  I am in the process of planting some ranunculus for my wife.  I prepared some MM for a large pot.  Ranunculus needs well drained soil.  Unfortunately, the soil I prepared is gummy and does not drain well.   What do you think I need to add to fix it?

Thanks all.  Smile
Coarse Vermiculite would be my first choice.  It really fluffs up any soil. The medium is ok, but the coarse is the bomb.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4327
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 74
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  camprn on 10/1/2014, 10:33 am

what did you actually put into it?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14039
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Windmere on 10/1/2014, 10:57 am

@camprn wrote:what did you actually put into it?
Camprn, it has all the normal components, but I think I overdid on the compost.  I got distracted several times, and I think that's what messed me up.  Also... it's possible I did not put enough peat moss.

I'm rather embarrassed because I certainly know better... I'm even more embarrassed because I can't figure out how to fix it.

Kay... I was also thinking to add more coarse vermiculite (I have plenty).

Thanks everyone... I do appreciate the help.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  camprn on 10/1/2014, 11:22 am

@Windmere wrote:
@camprn wrote:what did you actually put into it?
Camprn, it has all the normal components, but I think I overdid on the compost.  I got distracted several times, and I think that's what messed me up.  Also... it's possible I did not put enough peat moss.

I'm rather embarrassed because I certainly know better... I'm even more embarrassed because I can't figure out how to fix it.

Kay... I was also thinking to add more coarse vermiculite (I have plenty).

Thanks everyone... I do appreciate the help.
Actually it sounds like you have more water than you need... It will probably be fine once it dries out a bit.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books




camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14039
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Windmere on 10/1/2014, 11:28 am

@camprn wrote:
@Windmere wrote:
@camprn wrote:what did you actually put into it?
Camprn, it has all the normal components, but I think I overdid on the compost.  I got distracted several times, and I think that's what messed me up.  Also... it's possible I did not put enough peat moss.

I'm rather embarrassed because I certainly know better... I'm even more embarrassed because I can't figure out how to fix it.

Kay... I was also thinking to add more coarse vermiculite (I have plenty).

Thanks everyone... I do appreciate the help.
Actually it sounds like you have more water than you need...  It will probably be fine once it dries out a bit.
Thanks camp.  I just read what you wrote out loud to my wife and she said, "You know, you did saturate it pretty good."  I'll wait and see what happens.  And Kay... after that, I'll probably revisit the idea of adding more vermiculite if things don't get better.

Thanks guys (gals I mean).

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Turan on 10/1/2014, 12:09 pm

I am guessing that you will want to add that vermiculite as a precaution against water logged mix in the future.  Ranunculus HATE muck.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 2018
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Windmere on 10/1/2014, 4:49 pm

@Turan wrote:I am guessing that you will want to add that vermiculite as a precaution against water logged mix in the future.  Ranunculus HATE muck.
I actually did mix more in some extra as a precaution....  I tried to make it fluffy...  and I think it's fine now.  Thanks everyone.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help... Gummy Mel's Mix

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:11 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum