Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My new compost heap
by brianj555 Today at 8:48 pm

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:13 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by countrynaturals Today at 6:34 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:31 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Today at 11:55 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Today at 11:08 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 11/19/2017, 5:37 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cypress Needles

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cypress Needles

Post  SouthernBoy on 12/25/2014, 6:53 pm

Being brand new to the forum and to gardening I'm not sure what is and isn't useful but thanks to a early freeze my cypress tree is denuded of needles.  Can I use them as a mulch on top of my garden?  I wouldn't use pine but don't know about cypress.
avatar
SouthernBoy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-12-01
Location : Northwest Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/25/2014, 8:05 pm

I often use pine needles as mulch, but I'm not sure about Cypress needles. I think that just about anything that sits atop the bed can be used as mulch.

By the way, welcome to the forum! happy hi

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6477
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  SouthernBoy on 12/25/2014, 8:46 pm

Thank you!  I intend to use the cypress and maybe round up some pine from the neighborhood.
avatar
SouthernBoy

Posts : 3
Join date : 2014-12-01
Location : Northwest Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 12/25/2014, 11:03 pm

I just watched a great video a couple weeks ago, but can't remember the name or where (ever done that?!)

A scientist explained that pine needles, though acidic, don't turn your soil acidic.  It's actually other issues with the forest that produce generally acidic conditions.  So pine needles and almost any type of tree's branches 3 inch diameter or less will make good mulch.  The two exceptions I'm aware of are black walnut and eucalyptus, both of which produce substances that hinder the growth of other plants.
avatar
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Posts : 1918
Join date : 2012-12-07
Location : Central Calif Mtns.

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  sanderson on 12/26/2014, 2:16 am

SouthernBoy,  Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here  There are other Floridians on this site.  If you want, please go to "Introduce yourself" and tell us a little about your garden hopes and dreams.  Will you be using the All New Square Foot Gardening" as your garden foundation?
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14943
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/26/2014, 9:15 am

Hi SouthernBoy!  Welcome & Merry (late) Christmas from Atlanta, GA.
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4330
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/26/2014, 9:17 am

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just watched a great video a couple weeks ago, but can't remember the name or where (ever done that?!)

A scientist explained that pine needles, though acidic, don't turn your soil acidic.  It's actually other issues with the forest that produce generally acidic conditions.  So pine needles and almost any type of tree's branches 3 inch diameter or less will make good mulch.  The two exceptions I'm aware of are black walnut and eucalyptus, both of which produce substances that hinder the growth of other plants.

Audrey, if you ever remember the name or anything else about that video would you please post it? I'd be very interested in seeing it.

CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6477
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  yolos on 12/26/2014, 9:35 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just watched a great video a couple weeks ago, but can't remember the name or where (ever done that?!)

A scientist explained that pine needles, though acidic, don't turn your soil acidic.  It's actually other issues with the forest that produce generally acidic conditions.  So pine needles and almost any type of tree's branches 3 inch diameter or less will make good mulch.  The two exceptions I'm aware of are black walnut and eucalyptus, both of which produce substances that hinder the growth of other plants.

Audrey, if you ever remember the name or anything else about that video would you please post it? I'd be very interested in seeing it.

CC

This may be the link she is talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8-1sVcfzE
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3289
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/26/2014, 3:13 pm

@yolos wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just watched a great video a couple weeks ago, but can't remember the name or where (ever done that?!)

A scientist explained that pine needles, though acidic, don't turn your soil acidic.  It's actually other issues with the forest that produce generally acidic conditions.  So pine needles and almost any type of tree's branches 3 inch diameter or less will make good mulch.  The two exceptions I'm aware of are black walnut and eucalyptus, both of which produce substances that hinder the growth of other plants.

Audrey, if you ever remember the name or anything else about that video would you please post it? I'd be very interested in seeing it.

CC

This may be the link she is talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8-1sVcfzE

yep, I'll bet that's the one. It was great. Thanks
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6477
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cypress Needles

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum