Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sanderson Today at 9:14

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 9:05

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 8:52

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 8:32

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 8:21

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:40

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:38

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 1:16

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Yesterday at 23:14

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 14:21

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 13:41

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 9:13

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:44

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 4:05

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 20:28

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 19:43

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 18:43

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 9:49

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Wed 7 Dec 2016 - 8:48

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 9:17

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:24

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:21

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:15

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 9:06

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 6:08

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Sun 4 Dec 2016 - 11:04

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Sun 4 Dec 2016 - 10:28

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 20:17

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 16:21

by trolleydriver Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 13:14

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winterizing strawberries

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winterizing strawberries

Post  ktomchik on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 14:04

I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken

ktomchik

Male Posts : 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winterizing strawberries

Post  plantoid on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 15:23

You may find that putting the foam lid over them causes them to sweat and develop mould or simply rot .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 16:25

If you can get your hands on some leaves (rake your leaves up), just pile up about a 2"-4" layer of leaves over them in the early winter -- and then either rake them out or, as I do, use a leaf blower to blow most of them out in the early spring.

slimbolen99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 16:39

A mulch mix of straw and leaves will work.  Just make it thick.  Then in early spring, remove the mulch and add to or start a compost pile.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 16:42

@ktomchik wrote:I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken
Ken, Strawberries need a cold period. They will go dormant in the winter, and you should cover them with straw, pinestraw, leaves, some kind of mulch(not plastic)
They should be able to breathe.
In the spring, maybe 2 weeks before last spring frost, clear the mulch/straw away and they will start growing/blooming soon.
Jo Ann

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 18:44

@littlejo wrote:
@ktomchik wrote:I live outside of Chicago and read that I should cover my strawberries with straw over the winter to protect them from the cold. Since they are in a box could I also put an insulated lid on the box? I have sheet of styrofoam.  I am concerned that they will not get enough light if the lid is on all the time. Should I use it only overnight or daytime also when it is very cold? How about a plastic sheet lid to get greenhouse warming? Thanks for any advice. Ken
Ken, Strawberries need a cold period. They will go dormant in the winter, and you should cover them with straw, pinestraw, leaves, some kind of mulch(not plastic)
They should be able to breathe.
In the spring, maybe 2 weeks before last spring frost, clear the mulch/straw away and they will start growing/blooming soon.
Jo Ann
Another option is to cover them with a thick layer of wood chips. These would be Ramial wood chips (branches under 3 inches with leaves and needles, not bark or sawdust). I did this last winter about 4 inches deep. I left the mulch on and only the strong plants grew through it so I didn't need to do any thinning. The man I learned this from and NEVER had to thin his old, non-bearing plants out as they are simply too weak to come through the cover and the young ones take over.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ktomchik on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 22:08

Thanks to all of you. I was hoping to use leaves as I have plenty of them after raking my lawn. I read that leaves alone may pack down too much to work well. I obtained some straw and put 4-6 inches into the SFG box. It is hard for me to resist laying the styrofoam sheet over the box when it is really cold. MY POOR BABIES! I know as you reminded me the plants need to grow despite my efforts so I will  try to resist the temptation. Maybe if it is below 10 degrees only and only overnight not continuously? Seems like I just may not be able to help myself.  Thanks to all of you again.  Ken

ktomchik

Male Posts : 9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 22:14

ktomchik, thanks for raising this topic, it reminded me of what I should be or not be doing for my own strawberries.
Just remember, TOUGH LOVE! If some strawberries do not survive, then they were not strong enough. You do not want plants with only a couple of tiny berries, do you?

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 23:47

@Kelejan wrote:ktomchik, thanks for raising this topic, it reminded me of what I should be or not be doing for my own strawberries.
Just remember, TOUGH LOVE! If some strawberries do not survive, then they were not strong enough. You do not want plants with only a couple of tiny berries, do you?
This weekend I need to attend to mine.  We just got our first frosts this week so I'll cover them Saturday.  Deadlines are looming (have to get new art to my agents before Friday).  So I just have to resist the impulse to grab my wheelbarrow and head to the wood chip pile!  

Fortunately, our low 30s high 20s aren't going to be a big deal to the berries even uncovered :-)

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 7:45

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
Another option is to cover them with a thick layer of wood chips.  These would be Ramial wood chips (branches under 3 inches with leaves and needles, not bark or sawdust).  I did this last winter about 4 inches deep.  I left the mulch on and only the strong plants grew through it so I didn't need to do any thinning.  The man I learned this from and NEVER had to thin his old, non-bearing plants out as they are simply too weak to come through the cover and the young ones take over.  

I do this with pine needles. No maintenance necessary and the darn things grow like weeds, even jumping out of their bed into the lawn. This year I put seaweed over some of them just to see what would happen come spring. If I lose a few I can always pick some out of the lawn for replacements. Rolling Eyes

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:16

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum