Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!
by has55 Today at 5:56 am

» Sanderson's experiments with Bio-Flora Ag Products
by sanderson Today at 3:53 am

» Bountea Compost Tea - Got it!!!
by sanderson Today at 3:23 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing in October 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:10 am

» Straw Bales with Seeds?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:50 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:08 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:44 pm

» Notice: Gluten-free Recipes Sub-Forum- Up and running!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:20 pm

» Our Newest Regional Hosts!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:56 pm

» who has chickens
by Turan Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Indian Solar Gardening Calendar
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» N&C Midwest: October Happenings!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by rajmahendra Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Fun Spider addition to Home Page
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:56 pm

» last chance to pre-order baker seeds-rare seed catalog
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:48 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:37 am

» Mason bees
by Scorpio Rising 10/23/2016, 8:45 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/23/2016, 8:05 pm

» Hello from central Massachusetts!
by Scorpio Rising 10/22/2016, 10:39 pm

» What's eating my plants
by donnainzone5 10/22/2016, 12:30 pm

» Shallots, Prisma
by AtlantaMarie 10/22/2016, 7:59 am

» Peas and cucumbers: Trellis position and plant spacing
by yolos 10/21/2016, 8:32 pm

» New England October, 2016
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:56 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 8:38 pm

» Thin Crust Pizza
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 11:34 pm

» November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!
by No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

» Winter Hobbies and Crafts
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

» Cucumber plant visitor
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:31 pm

Search SFG Forum

NW Houston, Texas gardening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NW Houston, Texas gardening

Post  taywood on 1/14/2015, 4:22 pm

Hello all;
   I read all of Mels books years ago and still have them.  I just pick them up and start reading them all the time.  I've tried SFG about 5 years ago with an herb garden with moderate success.  This past year I had Basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary planted in it.  Actually my rosemary is HUGE and still very much alive!
Gardening here in Texas is a challenge all it's own, but we have been in drought for the last 5 years with record high temps, so the challenge has even been greater.  Between the heat, humidity, and the bugs, it's enough to make you give up, but I don't give up easily.
  In the last 9 years we have raised 2 steers, 2 pigs, a dozen or more turkeys, and hundreds of chickens for the family table.  However, now the kids are grown, married, and it's just the two of us so our food needs are not quite as large. I used to can veggies quite a bit, but have scaled back now to mostly tomatoes, green beans, and jams.  I did just raise up 50 broiler chickens this fall and gave most of them away as Christmas gifts.  I prefer giving useful gifts!
  I have a 32'X 16' area that I've gardened for the last 5 years.  Every year I amend the soil ( manures, compost, etc.) since our area has black gumbo for soil.  The weeds are horrendous and don't get me started about the bugs!  I have a personal vendetta this year against squash bugs!!!!  This fall I planted rye grass over all of it as a cover crop.
I'm seriously thinking of turning this area into several SFG.  Now all I have to do is plan it out. 
I know I still have a lot to learn and am looking forward to hearing from everyone, especially anyone in this area of TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NW Houston, Texas gardening

Post  plantoid on 1/14/2015, 7:36 pm

Welcome to the site.
If you look at my strap lines these are the latest books by Mel Bartholomew.
We have moved on a bit from the original idea of using mother earth enriched soil to a soil less growth medium called Mels Mix ( MM )

I live across the pond in the UK so won't be able to say much with any degree of knowledge for your local area ,  but don't ever let that stop you asking questions as there are lots of folk on site who are able to help you out in that area.

On the left hand side of the home page there is a thin bobbly vertical column , " click "  on it for access to some of the more active All New Square Foot Gardening ( ANSFG) threads .

When I joined it took me a couple of weeks to run through all the available threads .. it was a good investment for me as I was running the original system . 

Changing over to the full  MM , latest soil less growth medium system saw me get outstanding results ... some of my pictures are shown in the gallery"  big stuff ".

Male Posts : 3612

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 1/15/2015, 8:57 am

Hi Taywood!  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Lived in Killeen for a short time, but never had a garden there.  But several folks on the forum are in TX and will give you great advice.

Would also recommend you look thru the archives when you have "spare time."

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3641

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 on 1/15/2015, 10:53 am

Welcome Taywood,
I live in NW Houston just inside the Beltway and 290. Gardening down here can be a bit different. Late July and August are not good months for gardening. I usually just let whatever is still out there fend for itself and try to provide some water; things like okra and peppers will continue to produce. While people living up North can't go outside in the winter we are able to grow some lettuce and other things during the "cold" months.

After a couple of years of growing rosemary in my SFG I removed it and planted it in the landscaping bed in my front yard. In our area it can survive the winter. Rosemary really doesn't need a lot of attention and it's a pretty plant that can be trimmed whoever you want. I just didn't see any reason to take up valuable space in my garden when the plant will thrive in front of the house.

Male Posts : 288

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/15/2015, 11:14 pm

Taywood,   Welcome to the SFG Forum from drought-stricken California!  glad you\'re here SFG is perfect for hot dry weather; just top the beds with a thick layer of mulch. You have read the books over the years, but have you read All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition? No dirt or black gumbo, only 6" of Mel's Mix.

A 32' x 16' plot sounds heavenly. Room enough for 8- 4'x4' boxes, a 3 foot walk around on the perimeter, 3' wide isles with 2' squeeze-though-the-boxes isles in the other direction. 128 sq ft of easy maintenance gardening. For weeds, you can rake everything smooth, then clean and store the rake until you forget about it. Lay weed fabric over the whole area, then newspapers or cardboard in the isles, topped with wood chips. If you have noxious weeds that would grow up though cardboard and weed fabric, then consider raised beds with proper underneath support.

Please keep us updated and post photos of your garden transformation. Feel free to ask questions, especially before you pay for anything.

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11903

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum