Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by sanderson Today at 1:05 am

» Fall Garden?
by reynajrainwater Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:58 pm

» harvesting wood chips
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Ginger
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:01 pm

» New England September 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:33 pm

» leeks again
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 Yesterday at 9:03 am

» My SFG Journey:Returning to the Original Square Foot Garden Method
by has55 Yesterday at 3:05 am

» Monarch Supporter
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 1:43 am

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2017, 8:15 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by trolleydriver 9/18/2017, 5:08 pm

» Amaranth
by trolleydriver 9/18/2017, 12:06 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals 9/18/2017, 11:29 am

» Tomatoes in New England
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2017, 9:02 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Ginger Blue 9/17/2017, 5:39 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 9/17/2017, 11:20 am

» Skinny Cucumbers?
by brianj555 9/17/2017, 11:15 am

» Trellis
by CapeCoddess 9/17/2017, 10:19 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by bigdogrock 9/17/2017, 8:43 am

» Garden Videos 2017
by brianj555 9/16/2017, 9:48 pm

» What I learned this year
by brianj555 9/16/2017, 9:19 pm

» This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants
by bigdogrock 9/16/2017, 3:02 pm

» Annie's Salsa
by kygardener 9/16/2017, 2:54 pm

» Suggestions please!! Cherry Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 9/16/2017, 1:07 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

More deer

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More deer

Post  J Long on 1/16/2015, 7:12 pm

I've decided that from reading here and elsewhere, that the surest way to keep deer away from your veggies is to erect a barrier as some here also have done.  I've searched and read the posts regarding experiences with deer but other than chicken wire, does anyone have the names of any effective deer netting /fence?

What I have found in stores looks easily chewed-through by squirrels.  What I find on the net (that's highly-rated) is typically VERY expensive and many times greater quantities than I need.  Be great to find the good stuff "by the foot"  I really don't need 100-300'

Thanx
avatar
J Long

Posts : 25
Join date : 2015-01-02
Location : Central Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  camprn on 1/17/2015, 7:47 am

Is it just deer you are trying to keep out or other critters as well, like woodchuck and  rabbit? How long is your perimeter?
Sheep fencing would do better rather than chicken fence, if deer are the problem. Another thing to consider is you may not want holes small enough to trap other wild life.


Last edited by camprn on 1/17/2015, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  floyd1440 on 1/17/2015, 8:08 am

J Long wrote:I've decided that from reading here and elsewhere, that the surest way to keep deer away from your veggies is to erect a barrier as some here also have done.  I've searched and read the posts regarding experiences with deer but other than chicken wire, does anyone have the names of any effective deer netting /fence?

What I have found in stores looks easily chewed-through by squirrels.  What I find on the net (that's highly-rated) is typically VERY expensive and many times greater quantities than I need.  Be great to find the good stuff "by the foot"  I really don't need 100-300'

Thanx


I live in western Pa. so have  the same problem with deer too.  Had to build a fence to keep them out so built a structure with black deer netting. It keeps them out and is fairly inexpensive, you can get it a box store, BUT it does not keep rabbits out.  Will try to post some pictures
avatar
floyd1440

Male Posts : 796
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 63
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  J Long on 1/17/2015, 9:07 am

I have 42 ft of perimeter.  Yeah I have rabbits and groundhogs too.  We have about every thing here but bear, and this in a city.  I live fairly close to a large park system and the property backs up to a utility easement which is essentially a wildlife conduit from the park and river.

In past attempts a low skirting of chicken wire has kept out rabbits, but a groundhog will get right over that. It's the deer that have shown to be most destructive because what they might miss eating gets trampled.

I saw posts where someone built a structure integrated with boxes and that is what I'm going to attempt with the right enclosure material.
avatar
J Long

Posts : 25
Join date : 2015-01-02
Location : Central Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  AtlantaMarie on 1/17/2015, 9:14 am

We have deer & rabbits as well.  Our neighborhood is an old cow pasture...

What we did was put up chain link and then the plastic 1-inch green chicken fencing inside of that, including over the areas between fence & gates.

Worked fine last year...
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4246
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Deer Block Netting and Granulated Liquid Fence

Post  Windmere on 1/17/2015, 3:09 pm

I have a very small time operation.  Just three 4x4's and a bunch of EarthBoxes.  I've been expanding to open area spots where I've mainly just added the 5 compost combo... not really much vermiculite or peat moss... so I don't feature stuff from that here because it's not SFG in its purest form.

In our subdivision, fencing of the front of our property is not allowed.  For some areas of our garden, this is problematic.  This is how I get around that...

What has worked for me is a combination of deer block netting and granulated Liquid Fence:



I drape the netting over the PVC dome on my boxes and I fasten the netting with velcro ties:



With my EarthBoxes, I use tomato cages to support the netting and then I tuck the netting underneath them.




For a long while, my 4x4 boxes were not covered with netting... but diligent application of Liquid Fence granules kept deer at bay.  The trouble with Liquid Fence is that it has to be applied every time it rains... that can start to be expensive and also it's a pain to remember and then actually apply it.

At the moment, I only have a little bit of Liquid Fence left (we've had heavy and intermittent rains).  The price of Liquid Fence has gone up, so I'm going to try Ortho Deer B Gon.  Where Liquid Fence's active ingredient is pretty much just putrified egg, Deer B Gon works by using Cinnamon Oil, Clove Oil and Putrescent Egg Solids.  Because Deer B Gon has the same amount of good reviews (on Amazon) as Liquid Fence, I'm willing to try it.

I use granulated types of deer repellent because it lasts longer and is a bit more rain resistant.

Incidentally, Easy Gardener Deer Block has a money back guarantee.  However, such a guarantee wouldn't mean much to me if I lost my plants.  So far so good, this will be my third season using it (goodness, that much time has gone by??).
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  quiltbea on 1/17/2015, 4:33 pm

Unless you want to put up a fence or netting a minimum of 8 ft tall, with ten feet being safer,  I suggest tying Irish Spring soap on stakes around your garden beds.  It might work.
I had trouble one year with deer eating my new dwarf fruit trees.  One year they were pretty well decimated by deer.  The next spring I put one Irish Spring soap in each used onion bag (because they are netting) and tied them to a 2 1/2 ft fence around my trees.  It worked.  No more trees being eaten.
The only other solution, since you have only a few beds, is to cover them with insect barrier which lets thru sun and rain, but keeps off insects.  It should keep deer from nibbling on your harvest as well.
I hope you find something that works for you.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  Windmere on 1/17/2015, 4:46 pm

quiltbea wrote:Unless you want to put up a fence or netting a minimum of 8 ft tall, with ten feet being safer,  I suggest tying Irish Spring soap on stakes around your garden beds.  It might work.
I had trouble one year with deer eating my new dwarf fruit trees.  One year they were pretty well decimated by deer.  The next spring I put one Irish Spring soap in each used onion bag (because they are netting) and tied them to a 2 1/2 ft fence around my trees.  It worked.  No more trees being eaten.
The only other solution, since you have only a few beds, is to cover them with insect barrier which lets thru sun and rain, but keeps off insects.  It should keep deer from nibbling on your harvest as well.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Interesting about the Irish Spring quiltbea.  How did you hear about it for using  it to keep away deer?  I love when folks write about such interesting and practical solutions!
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  quiltbea on 1/17/2015, 4:56 pm

Windmere.....I think I heard about it from another gardener a few years ago.  Tried it and it actually worked for me.  I just renewed the bar of soap every 6 months.  I hung 2 bars from each circular fence.  It has to be the deodorant soap.
I haven't seen any more deer in my yard the last couple years, so I haven't used the soap trick since.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  J Long on 1/17/2015, 5:23 pm

The enclosure is small enough that deer won't jump into it and the soap thing from my reading, works until they get used to it.  I am building the "fencing" (which doesn't really fall into the category of a fence as defined in code here) which will be about 7' tall.

Thank you for the alternative suggestions, but what I'm looking for are sources and brand names of deer fence/netting.

Thanks again.
avatar
J Long

Posts : 25
Join date : 2015-01-02
Location : Central Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  Windmere on 1/17/2015, 5:58 pm

J Long wrote:The enclosure is small enough that deer won't jump into it and the soap thing from my reading, works until they get used to it.  I am building the "fencing" (which doesn't really fall into the category of a fence as defined in code here) which will be about 7' tall.

Thank you for the alternative suggestions, but what I'm looking for are sources and brand names of deer fence/netting.

Thanks again.
J Long, the deer netting I used came from Amazon (photo in my previous post):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RA0N/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

100 ft is currently 18.49.  It is also available in smaller sizes.  I hope that is helpful.

As for the liquid fence, this will be my third season using it.  A few days ago my daughter and I were coming home from a walk when we saw 7 deer run from our woods, across our garden and then down the street.  At that time, a few of my beds were uncovered but had liquid fence on them.  Also, my wife feeds the deer with bird seed in an area far across from the garden.  The deer have never nibbled my garden even with all that going on.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  quiltbea on 1/17/2015, 9:22 pm

J Long, my fences around the trees were short enuf that the deer just reached over and ate from the outside. Very Happy  They stripped those branches off like popsicle sticks.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  floyd1440 on 1/18/2015, 3:57 pm

J Long wrote:I have 42 ft of perimeter.  Yeah I have rabbits and groundhogs too.  We have about every thing here but bear, and this in a city.  I live fairly close to a large park system and the property backs up to a utility easement which is essentially a wildlife conduit from the park and river.

In past attempts a low skirting of chicken wire has kept out rabbits, but a groundhog will get right over that. It's the deer that have shown to be most destructive because what they might miss eating gets trampled.

I saw posts where someone built a structure integrated with boxes and that is what I'm going to attempt with the right enclosure material.

This is what I ended up building to keep the critters away.

avatar
floyd1440

Male Posts : 796
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 63
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  J Long on 1/18/2015, 6:05 pm

floyd1440 wrote:
J Long wrote:I have 42 ft of perimeter.  Yeah I have rabbits and groundhogs too.  We have about every thing here but bear, and this in a city.  I live fairly close to a large park system and the property backs up to a utility easement which is essentially a wildlife conduit from the park and river.

In past attempts a low skirting of chicken wire has kept out rabbits, but a groundhog will get right over that. It's the deer that have shown to be most destructive because what they might miss eating gets trampled.

I saw posts where someone built a structure integrated with boxes and that is what I'm going to attempt with the right enclosure material.

This is what I ended up building to keep the critters away.

That's pretty ambitious!  What is the brand of netting you used?
avatar
J Long

Posts : 25
Join date : 2015-01-02
Location : Central Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  floyd1440 on 1/18/2015, 6:16 pm

That's pretty ambitious!  What is the brand of netting you used?

I will have to take a closer look at it tomorrow but it is just black plastic deer netting.  I think I got it at Home Depot.  Have watched them walk into it and they don't like it but had to put 36" chicken wire on the bottom to keep the rabbit out
avatar
floyd1440

Male Posts : 796
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 63
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  sanderson on 1/18/2015, 10:19 pm

camprn wrote:Is it just deer you are trying to keep out or other critters as well, like woodchuck and  rabbit? How long is your perimeter?
Sheep fencing would do better rather than chicken fence, if deer are the problem. Another thing to consider is you may not want holes small enough to trap other wild life.

One of the problems with finer black netting is that the animal may not see it until it's too late and they are entangled. I can see a stag trotting off with 50' of netting caught on its horns. We are familiar with stories of birds caught in netting. Does anyone who uses "invisible" black netting tie fluttering ribbons on it?
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14582
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  floyd1440 on 1/20/2015, 7:36 pm

sanderson wrote:
camprn wrote:Is it just deer you are trying to keep out or other critters as well, like woodchuck and  rabbit? How long is your perimeter?
Sheep fencing would do better rather than chicken fence, if deer are the problem. Another thing to consider is you may not want holes small enough to trap other wild life.

One of the problems with finer black netting is that the animal may not see it until it's too late and they are entangled.  I can see a stag trotting off with 50' of netting caught on its horns.  We are familiar with stories of birds caught in netting.  Does anyone who uses "invisible" black netting tie fluttering ribbons on it?

I have a lot of bucks roaming through my yard and they haven't snagged the plastic netting yet
avatar
floyd1440

Male Posts : 796
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 63
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  jimmy cee on 1/20/2015, 8:53 pm

I have the netting up on one side of my yard.
Last night in the snow I see deer prints in one area, quite a lot..
I also have a tear/slice in the net in that area.
Looks to me as if one tangled in the net and just tore off a bit..
A deer can possibly become tangled in it, however, netting isn't going to stop a deer..
Deter yes, not stop..
I'm considering setting up a game cam/motion detector or even a night vision web cam that can record all night on my hard drive.
By the way, one night I counted 15 laying down on my lawn about 30 feet from our family room window.
I sat one night in the fall, nice evening and a buck came within 10 feet of me. I was in the dark, behind a light.
He looked at me, then decided to work on the pears that were laying on the ground.
I shot him in the rump with a pellet gun, he jumped 10 feet in the air and took off..
If I wasn't living in town he'd a been dead meat..Their destruction here is unbelievable.
avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1917
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  quiltbea on 1/21/2015, 11:23 am

That's true Jimmy, especially here in the winter.  They can clean out a nursery of their young trees in a week.  They strip young branches off by the carload because there's no grass for them to eat.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4689
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  llama momma on 1/21/2015, 11:33 am

Although deer can leap 8 feet high or so, actually their depth perception is not good.  Two low fences a few feet apart seems to work well too.  You can google Double fencing for Deer and get more info. There is an extension service in that same google search that recommends it also.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  jimmy cee on 1/21/2015, 10:31 pm

llama momma wrote:Although deer can leap 8 feet high or so, actually their depth perception is not good.  Two low fences a few feet apart seems to work well too.  You can google Double fencing for Deer and get more info. There is an extension service in that same google search that recommends it also.
MOMMA
Now that's a topic I need to look into, I'd prefer 2 low fences as opposed to 1 high...thanks
avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1917
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  llama momma on 1/22/2015, 8:40 am

JimmyC   I look forward to seeing what you end up with.  Some people grow things between those two fences.  Others swear by letting chickens run between the 2 fences surrounding the garden resulted in less bugs inside their garden. 

Hmm.   There I go again probably spending too much time googling Very Happy
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4845
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  AtlantaMarie on 2/6/2015, 9:21 am

Keeping in mind that this comes from the Hamptons, I found a nice solution:

http://www.gardenista.com/posts/the-landscape-designer-is-in-elegant-deer-fencing-hamptons-edition

Of course, I don't have that much money, but it provides good protection & some stability for trellising...
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4246
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/6/2015, 11:23 am

One thing I suggest to my students with deer problems is to use a 10' x 10' dog kennel.



Here's a DIY project from CLOVER & THYME

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



avatar
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1939
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 58
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  jimmy cee on 2/6/2015, 2:24 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:One thing I suggest to my students with deer problems is to use a 10' x 10' dog kennel.



Here's a DIY project from CLOVER & THYME
The deer in our area sometimes challenges dogs, I have a friend who witnessed a buck chasing a dog.
We live in a town of 30,000 and I've counted 15 deer one fall lying on my lawn.
Of course I also have 2 apple and 1 pear tree
avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1917
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: More deer

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum