Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson Today at 9:55 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 9:53 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson Today at 9:50 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Today at 9:37 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:06 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 8:37 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Today at 4:04 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» mulching
by dstack Today at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Kale spacing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/21/2015, 7:13 pm

Some SQF gardening charts say 1 per square and some say 2 is okay.

I'd like to put 2 per square is that okay?

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  walshevak on 1/21/2015, 7:47 pm

yep, I do, especially since they are a cut and come again plant.  harvest from the bottom up.  BTW, kale tends to have bottom leaves that yellow.  Cut and compost.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4300
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 73
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  sanderson on 1/21/2015, 8:07 pm

If you are going to "cut and grow" you can do 2/sq in a zig zag pattern. I don't know what the pattern is called.
The diagonal of a square is about 17". Example. Start about 4" up and 4" over from the lower left corner of the square (about 5+" from the corner on a diagonal) for the first kale. Second plant at about 4" down and 4" over from the upper right kitty corner (or 8+" away on the diagonal ) for the second plant. Repeat on the next square, etc. The plants will form a zig zag.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11666
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 67
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  yolos on 1/21/2015, 8:15 pm

I grow 2 winterbor kale per square.  But maybe some kale is larger than winterbor and takes up more room.  I would start with 2 per square and if they get too large, you can always cut down one or harvest a lot of leaves from both.

yolos

Female Posts : 2785
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  camprn on 1/21/2015, 9:13 pm

what kind of kale?

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  sanderson on 1/21/2015, 9:25 pm

Mine are curly and Russian.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11666
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 67
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/21/2015, 11:07 pm

@camprn wrote:what kind of kale?

Lacinato and Vates Blue Curled Scotch.

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/21/2015, 11:09 pm

@sanderson wrote:If you are going to "cut and grow" you can do 2/sq in a zig zag pattern.  I don't know what the pattern is called.
The diagonal of a square is about 17".  Example.  Start about 4" up and 4" over from the lower left corner of the square (about 5+" from the corner on a diagonal) for the first kale.  Second plant at about 4" down and 4" over from the upper right kitty corner (or 8+" away on the diagonal ) for the second plant.  Repeat on the next square, etc.  The plants will form a zig zag.


Sounds like a plan!
thanks

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  Windmere on 1/21/2015, 11:45 pm

My Red Russian grew monstrous last year.  This year's winter crop is well on its way to doing the same. Yesterday, my daughter and I ate all the outer leaves to our heart's content.  They are indeed cut and come back.  If we keep up with that, 1 per square works fine for us.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 47
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/21/2015, 11:48 pm

@Windmere wrote:My Red Russian grew monstrous last year.  This year's winter crop is well on its way to doing the same. Yesterday, my daughter and I ate all the outer leaves to our heart's content.  They are indeed cut and come back.  If we keep up with that, 1 per square works fine for us.

We juice a lot so the outer leaves will be harvested regularly.

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  camprn on 1/22/2015, 12:17 pm

@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:what kind of kale?

Lacinato and Vates Blue Curled Scotch.

Blue Curled Scotch is one I would plant one each foot. http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/4089-dwarf-blue-scotch-curled

and the same with Lacinato
http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/10238-lacinato

Not only must the foliage canopy be considered, so too how large the root system will need to be to support such a plant. Foliage plants like kales, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, will grow more vigorously if there is enough room for the roots to take up more nutrients. They also like nitrogen rich compost, a lot.

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/22/2015, 12:23 pm

@camprn wrote:
@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:what kind of kale?

Lacinato and Vates Blue Curled Scotch.

Blue Curled Scotch is one I would plant one each foot. http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/4089-dwarf-blue-scotch-curled

and the same with Lacinato
http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/10238-lacinato

Thanks for the tip.  I just put them in 2 per but I can redo no problem.

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  camprn on 1/22/2015, 12:26 pm

@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:
@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:what kind of kale?

Lacinato and Vates Blue Curled Scotch.

Blue Curled Scotch is one I would plant one each foot. http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/4089-dwarf-blue-scotch-curled

and the same with Lacinato
http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/10238-lacinato

Thanks for the tip.  I just put them in 2 per but I can redo no problem.
Did you read the info at the links?

____________________________

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!


camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  TSHRED on 1/22/2015, 1:11 pm

@camprn wrote:
@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:
@TSHRED wrote:
@camprn wrote:what kind of kale?

Lacinato and Vates Blue Curled Scotch.

Blue Curled Scotch is one I would plant one each foot. http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/4089-dwarf-blue-scotch-curled

and the same with Lacinato
http://myfolia.com/plants/48-kale-brassica-oleracea-acephala-group/varieties/10238-lacinato

Thanks for the tip.  I just put them in 2 per but I can redo no problem.
Did you read the info at the links?

Yes. Thank you.

TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 59
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kale spacing

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:13 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum