Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 8:38 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:35 am

» Winter Reading, Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Sprouted Onion Question
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Yesterday at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Fri 09 Dec 2016, 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Fri 09 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Fri 09 Dec 2016, 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Fri 09 Dec 2016, 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Thu 08 Dec 2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Thu 08 Dec 2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Thu 08 Dec 2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Wed 07 Dec 2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Tue 06 Dec 2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Powder

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tomato Powder

Post  AtlantaMarie on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 2:32 pm

My four trays gave me about 3/4 of a pint.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3797

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on Thu 25 Aug 2016, 4:19 pm

Wow, impressive so, you used paste type? I didn't.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4648

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

Actually, I cheated... I used crushed tomatoes from Sam's. (Mostly, anyway.)

And I used the powder for the 1st time this morning in lunch for our class. Pork chops in a gravy of cream of mushroom & cream of chicken soups, 1 tbl tomato powder, a little Worcestershire, some garlic powder, & mushrooms... We'll see how it turns out.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:10 am

I made some tomato powder this year also.  I tried some grape tomatoes but never could get them all the way dry enough to powder.  Then I tried cooking them as a paste and putting the paste thinly on fruit roll up trays but some still did not get dry enough to powder.  Could you please give me the secret.  Is it the temperature.  No matter how long I dehydrated some, they never got fully dry. Could it be the humidity around here.  I did dehydrate them in my air conditioned house so that really should not have been a problem.  I clogged up my grinder and it was a mess to get working again.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:32 am

My humity is terrible here also. The house is air conditioned. As far as drying grape tomatoes, those were sliced in half,  cut side down on the dehydrator tray. My inexpensive round dehydrator took about 11 hours to dry grape and regular type tomatoes. Oh, When its all dry enough to flip over i turn everything over, just once.  When totally dry then cooled, then into the food processor till it became powder. Since then I used the food pr. for other things and it worked as usual, no clogging. Sorry to hear others are having problems!

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 9:47 am

Mods , I hope this is not bombing the thread .   If it is , please can you put it some where useful for folks .

On the subject of processing your tomatoes.

Three days before we went on holiday to Southern Ireland for 19 days or so  Alison happened to visit a fruit & vegetable wholesalers , I get a phone call from her saying saying , Tomatoes are £3 ( $4 ) for  for 6kg ( 13.2 pound )  boxes shall I get some ?

"  Yep get three boxes " I said , " We have had disastrous results  with them this year , only few plants have bloomed so far and those that did only have tiny green toms on them .. this time last year we had a bumper crop  ".

Five hours later Alison & HollyRobyn arrive back home .   Now what do you do with  FOUR , yes Four trays of Toms ( 24 kg  , ( 52.8 lbs. ) ?   She'd got a bit confused as she was on a retail therapy mission with Munchkin .

Hmmm let me think .......I have a list as long as both arms to do to get the caravan ready for the holiday , plus another one just as long with  all the  jobs to sort out in the garden so the watering system works as I want and sorting out weeding all the beds flowers & veg & the lawns.

Ah! Brain wave , " Let's lay them out on trays in the chest freezer .. they freeze like snooker balls in a couple hours ..rock hard and easier to store etc etc

So we ended up with all the tomatoes in the freezer in the nick of time , the last set of trays went in the freezer at 06.30 hrs as we departed for the ferry at 06.45hrs.

Thursday "5 th August @ 11.00 hrs  saw us start processing the toms .
Last year we skinned 18 kg of toms using boiling water and as it was a hot sticky summer period the humidity & temperature in the kitchen was nearly unbearable.

Now the problem is how do you skin 52 pounds of frozen  @ 22 oC rock solid toms without boiling them , as it's also hot sticky weather this summer.

I did a few experiments
 Putting one tomato on the sink drainer board , one on a sink of cold water and tried to scald a frozen one in boiling water  etc etc.

The was best easiest end result was found to be tipping  a box of the frozen toms in the sink ,  covering them with cold water for about 15 min , then pull th plug , once it's drained off , put the toms in rows , crowns down on the draining board .  ( Don't go fishing around in the now ice cold water that the toms were in it's painfully  cold  on the fingers ).

Refill the sink with new  toms & water , get a cup of tea by your side and then using a super sharp pareing knife  lightly cut the skin of a tomato north to south , cutting  almost half of the top spheres skin ,
 make three such cuts .
This gives six points to start peeling back the skins. It's now a doddle to peel back the six start points and then squeeze out the tom some times using the knife to cut the core free.  Peel them over a bowl to catch any liquids & bits of tomato flesh .  Pour this " juice " stuff in  the processing pan if you going to can them . After a while some of the skins become really loose & it's even easier to skin a lot of toms quickly .

...Save those peeled skins in a large bowl for later .

The skins :-
Each bit of skin has some tomato flesh on it , the total weight of skins we removed was nearly five pounds of skin.
Another brainwave later . I put a pound of skins in the food processor , using the normal chopping blade & half a pint of boiled water I gave then three sessions of 1 minutes dizziness . taking the lid off and using a silicone spatula to scrape any flying tomato  bits off the sides .   Then using the biggest fine nylon mesh sieve over a glass bowl , stir sieved the liquid mush through the sieve ,  adding a bit of boiled " washing out " water whilst stirring  after most of the initial mush has passed through the sieve  .

Yes it was as I suspected the tough tomato skins them selves don't get chopped on the processors blades , instead they simply devoid themselves of any tomato flesh .

By the time I'd processed all the skins we had just over 12 ounces of pure skin and about five pints of sieved tomato mush , I re saved the liquid just to make sure  no skin bits had made their way into the end result .
The mush is a fantastic deep red .. this will be part of the tomato matter we will be using to make our home made tomato ketchup which we will pressure can in 1/4 pint Weck jars once we have gt it to the quality we like

We did this canning of our ketchup exercise last year ,  used jars three times the size & found them too big to use in a couple of weeks )

plantoid

Male Posts : 3638

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 10:04 am

Plantoid
Your motivation is unbelievable. I've been sq. ft. gardening barely 6 years.  Concluded I will almost always avoid skinning tomatoes.  No kitchen helpers here, so extensive standing or sitting hurts my back and takes the fun out of it.  In my book, You do amazing things!    

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 10:28 am

I had a second spinal operation in April last year .. have kept at the rehab exercises every day no mater how boring it got it's starting to show good results ( still can't do them all ) .

Joining the local newly formed  " Mens Shed's " group has allowed me to slowly but surely extend many different walking /stumbling events each day and do various stretching /standing exercises in very short periods . 
I'm about as good physically as I will ever get ..   I still need a carer , but Boy Oh Boy , I'm now much better with a lot of pain reduction , better than I've been for the last 20 years .

Must away......  The dishwasher has finished its cycle & washed /sterilised my Weck jars & lids .  So I can now start pressure canning just finished boiling hot skinned toms whilst creating  my master piece called " Caerbryn  Ketchup " as I've  found I'll  have all the ingredients .. ...... once I powder up a spoonful of home grown coriander seeds.

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 10:53 am

Oh my!  Astounding, plantoid!  

I am going to get a dehydrator.

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3827

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 11:06 am

Loved your story (as always!) Plantoid.  I'm not a fan of ketchup but hubby is.  If I REALLY loved him I would probably make some for him, lol!

I've used tomato powder for a couple years now.  I make mine from cherry and roma tomatoes.  All I do is slice them in half and I put them skin side down (spray the trays with Pam so they don't stick) and I run them in our small dehydrator.  I don't every have a problem with them drying completely.  I rotate the trays a few times and it usually takes 12-24 hours.  I generally put them on low overnight if I started a batch late in the day, sometimes I just keep the fan on overnight and turn them back on high during the day.  

I dry basil and other spices and often will pre-spice my mix for spaghetti sauce etc.  I just mix them in when I pulverize things.  I don't have a food processor so I use a Magic Bullet that my daughter gave me.  The smallest size with the tall blades make short work of anything I need to pulverize.  

I often simply sprinkle the tomato powder into zucchini "noodles" I sautee on the stove.  I slice up some italian sausage, add a few sun dried tomato halves from the freezer, top with Parmigiana Reggiano cheese and have a fabulous meal.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
I've used tomato powder for a couple years now.  I make mine from cherry and roma tomatoes.  All I do is slice them in half and I put them skin side down (spray the trays with Pam so they don't stick) and I run them in our small dehydrator.  I don't every have a problem with them drying completely.  I rotate the trays a few times and it usually takes 12-24 hours.  I generally put them on low overnight if I started a batch late in the day, sometimes I just keep the fan on overnight and turn them back on high during the day.  

I dry basil and other spices and often will pre-spice my mix for spaghetti sauce etc.  I just mix them in when I pulverize things.  I don't have a food processor so I use a Magic Bullet that my daughter gave me.  The smallest size with the tall blades make short work of anything I need to pulverize.  

I often simply sprinkle the tomato powder into zucchini "noodles" I sautee on the stove.  I slice up some italian sausage, add a few sun dried tomato halves from the freezer, top with Parmigiana Reggiano cheese and have a fabulous meal.

Audrey, do you think I could dh fozen tomatoes once I thaw them out? Did I already ask you this? If so what did you say please? Embarassed
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 3:28 pm

CC - yes, you can.

What I do is put the seeds, skins, whatever on parchment paper in the dh. Then it doesn't stick to the trays. 125 or so overnight pretty well does the trick....

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 3:47 pm

AtlantaMarie posted a link to a website in the Food Dehydrators thread.  I followed the link and found a great write up about Tomato Powder.  Thanks AM.  Here is the link to the Tomato Powder article.

http://www.21stcenturysimpleliving.com/?p=261

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 5:26 pm

One thing I've not seen mentioned  in the  dehydrating threads is the use of an oxygen absorbent pads of something  .

Every time I buy a small packet of UK made beef jerky there is one of these little packets in it .    I don't think it is for moisture extraction either .

What little chemistry I know is that food , even dried food deteriorates in the present of oxygen ( it oxidizes ).
I think it can lead to toxicity chemicals being produced .

Has anybody got any thoughts on these anti oxidant packets or the effects of oxygen on dehydrated food ?

Ha typical ,   I've just followed Yolos 's link and " Hey presto " there is the mention of the anti oxygen packets .
 I think I'll look into this further for a five year storage of sliced " leather " dehydrated  toms only powdered or used for ketchup etc when you need a packet sounds like a darn good idea for next year tomatoes glut .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 5:48 pm

Apparently, reading that link, there is a difference between and oxygen pack and a moisture obsorber.  I did not know that.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 6:19 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:

Audrey, do you think I could dh fozen tomatoes once I thaw them out? Did I already ask you this? If so what did you say please? Embarassed
CC
I don't have an answer for you, but don't see any reason why not to give it a try.  Call it an experiment and fire up the dehydrator!  I have found quite a few things have their texture changed when freezing and that could change it's taste.  No way to know unless you give it a try  I love you

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 10:58 pm

I just ran across this video and he has a way of peeling tomatoes and making sauce that's amazingly fast and easy.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPNUBSzbm0

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 11:44 pm

Plantoid,  I really enjoyed your story of how to squeeze out every last ounce of usable tomato. Shocked   So Alison and Munchkin needed a bit of retail therapy. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12308

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 7:47 am

@audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I just ran across this video and he has a way of peeling tomatoes and making sauce that's amazingly fast and easy.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TPNUBSzbm0
  Now that is impressive ,
Say 10 seconds per well ripe tomato ( they're much cheaper ) 20 toms per kg ...200 seconds so far
Times 24 kg = 4800 seconds divide by 60 ..So 80 min to sort out all my toms if they are not frozen plus you can process the skins like I did in the food blender to get the last bit of mush off the skins pr maybe  usedthem for dehydrated tomato seasoning strips or powdering up later on .

I think at a guess it took just over 120 min ( 2 hrs ) to skin all my frozen thawed out toms so a saving of 40 minutes or so .

I have a changeable plate mandolin type grater that has four inch wide cutter strips , as well as one like the  box one shown in the link .  So I think that perhaps  it may take even less time as my mandolin is designed to sit over a 12 " dia bowl .

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 11:58 am

Cool Plantoid, that's a decent amount of time savings.

Now, as for me, I have to actually GROW large tomatoes next year - I've only had success with cherries and romas and since we mostly do salads it hasn't been a big deal.  But if I want to test this I guess I need to grow some biggies!  Wink

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Sun 28 Aug 2016, 8:42 pm

Audrey, Me too!  Only for me it's actually growing tomatoes. Razz  If the pattern holds true, next year is an odd numbered year so they should grow! Wink  I will try some of the tomato seeds you so generously shared with me.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12308

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2