Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:41 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

First year was great, following years pretty disappointing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First year was great, following years pretty disappointing

Post  Aspen71 on 2/11/2015, 11:26 am

I have two 4x4 square foot beds.  The first year my harvest was great!  The second year was so-so, even though I added mushroom compost.  Last year was the 3rd year and the harvest was pretty disappointing even though I amended with bagged compost.  Out of desperation I added some organic fertilizer.  This year I am considering removing 1/3 of the mix from the boxes and adding a lot of compost from a variety of sources.  Anyone else have this experience?  What did you do to get things growing well again?

Thanks!

Aspen71

Female Posts : 3

View user profile http://www.familieseatingbetter.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First year was great, following years pretty disappointing

Post  johnp on 2/11/2015, 12:54 pm

The  all new SFG book says you need compost from at least 5 different sources. My second year was a disappointment as I refreshed the MM with a single source compost. The last three years I have used a combination of my own compost with compost from manure, wood, grain, worm castings, grasses, cotton ball,  and others as I find them. It works. Just get a variety of composts and refresh your boxes, no need to remove any unless they are totally full.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  VJ72584 on 2/11/2015, 1:19 pm

When you add compost to your box, I think it should have 5 different types in it. If I mix up the five kinds, I may not use all of it to fill the box the first time.  I put the leftover in a plastic tub and when I replant, I use that compost that already has the five types in it.  I am getting ready to plant soon. I will mix all the types together on a tarp and then add about a trowel (or a little more) to each square and rake it all in and mix well.  Whatever is left will go into the tub to be used as I replant squares that are finished producing.

I still find that something that grows great this year will have an off year the next. I chalk it up to mother nature.

VJ72584

Female Posts : 89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/11/2015, 1:24 pm

Hi Aspen,  Welcome to the SFG Forum from California!  glad you\'re here

We are here to help you get back to great gardening.  Not everyone has successful gardens, but with a little detective work, we (the collective group of friendly, helpful folks here on the Forum) can usually get someone back on track to happy gardening.  So, that said, don't remove any Mix at this point.

What did you do the first year that made your garden great?  Did you use the Mel's Mix (MM) recipe for making your Mix.  Did you use 1/3 fluffed peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite or perlite, and 1/3 compost made from at least 5 different sources of compost?  What were the composts you used?  This is probably the most important part of making a nutritious MM.

Each time you replant (is it once a year where you live?) you are suppose to add 5-source blended compost.  You state you added only mushroom compost the second year and bagged compost the third year.  This is like a person eating only once type of veggie, say turnips, and saying they eat their veggies.  They are only getting one group of vitamins and minerals in their diet.  If they ate a little from each group of veggies, they would be getting all of the vitamins and minerals possible.

Mushroom compost is just one source of compost.  Nice, but incomplete.  Bagged "compost" often has a lot of little pieces of wood which have not fully composted, thereby, tying up the nitrogen until they are fully composted.  My personal mistake when I first strted 24 moonths ago, was to use bagged compost, only, as the compost 1/3.  I read the ingredients and saw it had over 5 different ingredients so I called it good.  Boy was I wrong.   Embarassed I had to use a little bit of Miracle Grow to keep things growing.  When the Folks showed me what I mis-interpreted, I set about correcting it immediately by adding a little bagged composted,manure, and worm castings and sea kelp.  AND, building my own compost pile so I could insure a variety of things to compost.  My beds have gotten richer and richer by adding a proper, balanced compost mix at planting time.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but we want to help you have a happy 4th year.   Very Happy

Adding at least one source of farm manure is important.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/11/2015, 1:29 pm

If all you added was mushroom compost the 2nd year then it was not enough.

Bagged compost is a huge gamble, you have to be wary of poor quality contents in many cases. 

Keep in mind finished 5 way (or more)compost that you make yourself is the best nutritional source for your garden.  Add some every time you harvest a square.  Left over or extra finished compost can be stored and further cured until needed.

I haven't purchased any fertilizer in nearly 5years since I began sq. ft. gardening.
Honestly, well made compost with a minimum of 5 sources really does take good care of the garden.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aspen71 on 2/11/2015, 1:35 pm

Thanks, everyone!  I did use the 1/3 peat moss, vermiculite and compost the first year.  Honestly, I cannot remember the brands of compost I bought.  The second year I used leftover compost from bags that had sat in the garage for a year.  It was dry and probably dead. (Someone at the garden center said I could still use it.)  So this year I will buy no less than 5 kinds of compost, and try to find local sources.

Aspen71

Female Posts : 3

View user profile http://www.familieseatingbetter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 2/11/2015, 1:50 pm

okay
Looks like we jumped on you all at the same time! hyper
Don't mind us, we just want to help you be successful
hyper

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4642

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 2/11/2015, 3:30 pm

@Aspen71 wrote:I have two 4x4 square foot beds.  The first year my harvest was great!  The second year was so-so, even though I added mushroom compost.  Last year was the 3rd year and the harvest was pretty disappointing even though I amended with bagged compost.  Out of desperation I added some organic fertilizer.  This year I am considering removing 1/3 of the mix from the boxes and adding a lot of compost from a variety of sources.  Anyone else have this experience?  What did you do to get things growing well again?

Thanks!
Yes I have. one trowel full of compost is simply not enough to feed the next season plants. What I do is dump a whole wheel barrow full of compost into a bed. My compost has a bunch of different stuff in it from coffee grounds to chopped leaves to poultry litter. It make my garden grow wonderfully.

If I may, mushroom compost is mostly fluff and not a lot of nutrients. Wink This is why Mel recommends a mix of composts when making the Mel's mix.

Now, I reccomend next season make a blend of composts, including animal compost (cow, steer,sheep, goat, llama, poultry, whatever) or use your own homemade compost.YOu do not need more vermiculite or peat moss. Put at LEAST a shovelful per square or a whole wheelbarrow full into a 4X4 bed. then mix it in with the existing MM.

That should give you some good results.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 2/11/2015, 3:48 pm

Hi Aspen.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.

Gotta agree w/ what everyone's saying about the mix...

We'll give you all the help we can.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3779

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/11/2015, 4:24 pm

@camprn wrote:
Yes I have. one trowel full of compost is simply not enough to feed the next season plants. What I do is dump a whole wheel barrow full of compost into a bed.  . .  Put at LEAST a shovelful per square or a whole wheelbarrow full into a 4X4 bed. then mix it in with the existing MM.

That should give you some good results.
I agree with the rest of Camp's reply, but this one part is so true in my experience.  A trowel may work for one little lettuce, but it takes shovels' full to bring a box's level back up to its original height of mix.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top