Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Today at 5:31 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by countrynaturals Today at 5:20 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by plantoid Today at 4:10 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 4:02 pm

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 1:03 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 1:00 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by Yardslave Today at 12:29 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:27 am

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:23 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:19 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:08 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by sanderson Today at 10:37 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 10:20 am

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Today at 10:07 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Today at 10:03 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Today at 10:01 am

» Carrot Week 2017!
by sanderson Today at 9:59 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Today at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals 10/17/2017, 3:37 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson 10/17/2017, 12:17 am

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lousy tap water

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lousy tap water

Post  TSHRED on 2/20/2015, 11:15 am

It's just not raining here in SoCal so I am forced to use tap water on my raised beds.
My concern is the bad water will harm the soil.

Any filters I could buy for my tap water? The TDS and Chloramine are of concern the most.

Here is my water districts response to my inquiry:

"pH generally is kept at 8.0 and TDS ranges from 500mg/l to 800mg/l depending on the source that we are using at the time. And yes, we are using chloramine as our disinfectant."
avatar
TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 60
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  camprn on 2/20/2015, 11:42 am

Go ahead and use the tap water, but put it in a bucket or barrel for a day to let some of the treatment chemicals dissipate. IS there anything else that worries you about the water? Do you have a water softening unit at your home?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  TSHRED on 2/20/2015, 11:51 am

camprn wrote:Go ahead and use the tap water, but put it in a bucket or barrel for a day to let some of the treatment chemicals dissipate. IS there anything else that worries you about the water? Do you have a water softening unit at your home?

We buy bottled water for consumption.

The problem with Chloramine is unlike Chlorine it does not dissipate easily. Sitting it out does basically nothing.
avatar
TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 60
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  camprn on 2/20/2015, 11:55 am

TSHRED wrote:
camprn wrote:Go ahead and use the tap water, but put it in a bucket or barrel for a day to let some of the treatment chemicals dissipate. IS there anything else that worries you about the water? Do you have a water softening unit at your home?

We buy bottled water for consumption.

The problem with Chloramine is unlike Chlorine it does not dissipate easily. Sitting it out does basically nothing.
Well  there ya go then... gotta let it sit out longer I suppose. As far as recommending filters, what did your water department recommend?

For what it's worth... http://www.iuhoakland.com/Chloramine.pdf


Last edited by camprn on 2/20/2015, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  TSHRED on 2/20/2015, 12:08 pm

camprn wrote:
TSHRED wrote:
camprn wrote:Go ahead and use the tap water, but put it in a bucket or barrel for a day to let some of the treatment chemicals dissipate. IS there anything else that worries you about the water? Do you have a water softening unit at your home?

We buy bottled water for consumption.

The problem with Chloramine is unlike Chlorine it does not dissipate easily. Sitting it out does basically nothing.
Well  there ya go then... gotta let it sit out longer I suppose. As far as recommending filters, what did your water department recommend?

Good question. I'll give them a call. Thanks.
avatar
TSHRED

Male Posts : 108
Join date : 2015-01-02
Age : 60
Location : Coastal San Diego USDA Zone 10

View user profile http://shredsgarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  sanderson on 2/20/2015, 12:29 pm

Tshred,   TDS can be lowered with reverse osmosis.   I don't think chloramine evaporates but it can be reduced with activated carbon filter.

http://www.chloramine.org/chloraminefacts.htm
http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is/#carbon-filtration

Installing these in-line as a point-of-use may or may not be financially feasible.  When it rains, some of these will be flushed from the Mel's Mix.  During the dry season, maybe you can water with the rain barrel water.  Of course, there was a time when rain water was the bomb, but now the first part of a rain water can contain SOX, NOX and particulate matter.  I know the Valley only has good air quality (<50) a few hours after a rain.  When I did my thesis 45 years ago, 20 was the average.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14768
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  camprn on 2/20/2015, 12:45 pm

I fixed the link I meant to post before.
Here it is again: http://www.iuhoakland.com/Chloramine.pdf

Tshred have you put any thought into other forms of water reclamation?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

for your drinking water

Post  kauairosina on 2/20/2015, 5:58 pm

check out the Berkey water purifiers (not filters).  Supposed to take all kinds of stuff out and the water tastes really good.  We had purchase Berkeys when Y2K was threatening us and those used filters.  The new ones are a large step above.  You can find them online, of course.
avatar
kauairosina

Female Posts : 644
Join date : 2014-01-16
Age : 82
Location : Lawai, Hawaii, 96765

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/22/2015, 11:58 am

sanderson wrote:Tshred,   TDS can be lowered with reverse osmosis.   I don't think chloramine evaporates but it can be reduced with activated carbon filter.

http://www.chloramine.org/chloraminefacts.htm
http://www.tdsmeter.com/what-is/#carbon-filtration

Installing these in-line as a point-of-use may or may not be financially feasible.  When it rains, some of these will be flushed from the Mel's Mix.  During the dry season, maybe you can water with the rain barrel water.  Of course, there was a time when rain water was the bomb, but now the first part of a rain water can contain SOX, NOX and particulate matter.  I know the Valley only has good air quality (<50) a few hours after a rain.  When I did my thesis 45 years ago, 20 was the average.

That guy, John, from Growing Your Greens, has an in-line carbon filter that he recommends.  I believe it's about $35 or so. I'll see if I can find the link later.  I'm thinking about getting one myself as my old body doesn't want to play with the buckets much longer.

Here's John talking about his fave filter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9_DPGQ98g
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6455
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  Turan on 2/22/2015, 2:16 pm

Do you see evidence of tap water hurting the soils in your area?  If so, what? Possibly all that is needed is to compensate the alkalinity by adding a bit of vinegar or maybe nothing.
It might be very interesting to ask at a local organic market farm or orchard how they deal with the supplied water.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2304
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lousy tap water

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum