Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

greens

View previous topic View next topic Go down

greens

Post  Eric Lingo on 2/23/2015, 8:44 pm

so today went out and picked a nice head of cabbage some black seed lettuce a head of iceburg and some bell peppers for a nice simple green salad tasted awesome I am kinda happy my first cabbage and lettuce harvest. hoping the rest of the cabbage comes in for saint paddys day

Eric Lingo

Male Posts : 75

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: greens

Post  sfg4uKim on 2/23/2015, 8:49 pm

Awesome!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 2/23/2015, 9:13 pm

Sounds good Eric.  My garden has melted down to about 3" of ice so it may be awhile for us.  Spring is on its way for us....I think.

meatburner

Male Posts : 311

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/23/2015, 9:36 pm

Only 3" of ice! I really admire those of you with freezing, snowy, icy, windy, etc. winters.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner on 2/23/2015, 9:54 pm

I feel very lucky compared to our gardening friends in the NE.  They have been hammered.  I think I heard somewhere that some areas of the NE might be thawed in time for their normal spring planting.

meatburner

Male Posts : 311

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo on 2/23/2015, 11:32 pm

I am glad I live in southern California grow year round..but I might be moving to north Dakota soon minot to be precise

Eric Lingo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/24/2015, 1:50 am

@Eric Lingo wrote: minot to be precise
??

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo on 2/24/2015, 9:47 am

ya a friend of mine has a plumbing remodel business in north Dakota that he wants me to come out there and help, the city is Minot its kinda in the center northern side of north Dakota its like 1-2 hours away from the Canadian boreder. so when I move there my growing season is going to go all sorts of whacky on me..like only 4 months of growing actualy have to worry about frost and critters coming to eat my yummies.

Eric Lingo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 2/24/2015, 12:27 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I can't imagine having a short growing season! But, you may end up falling in love with the area.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo on 2/24/2015, 2:39 pm

ya I looked into to it some already I get to start all over from the beginning new beds and all and I have always loved the more rural area to live. I had lived in Livingston Montana for 2 years and loved it.

Eric Lingo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 2/24/2015, 8:33 pm

we have been sharing our winter greens with other families that don't garden. so their greens comes from the local store. They have rave about the taste/flavor. To us it taste great, but we're used to eating or own organic product, so it's seem normal. It been a while, many years since we ate greens from the store, even the health food store, because we pick it and cook, juice or whatever immediately. what I figured  out, I probably would not be a good candidate for a food taster among organic greens.. It would need to be an outsider. Yes the food would taste good, but they could really see the difference among the greens.
I may be wrong . chime in, if you want.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 2/24/2015, 9:48 pm

Yay, glad you enjoyed your greens, Eric!  It's nice to read about others who are out there gardening.  February is my worst month, because it's the coldest and snowiest here in NY.  My garden is under four feet of snow right now! 

Has, I'm sure it's something to do with my gardening methods or maybe my expectations after having been raised on iceberg lettuce, but my garden lettuce always tastes slightly bitter to me.  Some kinds of lettuce don't have much bitter, like cos types.  Most of the time it's just a low level bitter that I can usually cover up with dressing, but later on in the season, when it starts heating up, it gets too bitter to eat raw (although I have made lettuce soup out of bitter lettuce!  Good eats Smile ).  And that's my 2 cents on my garden lettuce!  Maybe I need to add more compost to my lettuce!

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo on 2/25/2015, 12:20 am

I heard about this snow thing before..luckly here in southern California I don't have to deal with it.

Eric Lingo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 2/25/2015, 4:01 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:Yay, glad you enjoyed your greens, Eric!  It's nice to read about others who are out there gardening.  February is my worst month, because it's the coldest and snowiest here in NY.  My garden is under four feet of snow right now! 

Has, I'm sure it's something to do with my gardening methods or maybe my expectations after having been raised on iceberg lettuce, but my garden lettuce always tastes slightly bitter to me.  Some kinds of lettuce don't have much bitter, like cos types.  Most of the time it's just a low level bitter that I can usually cover up with dressing, but later on in the season, when it starts heating up, it gets too bitter to eat raw (although I have made lettuce soup out of bitter lettuce!  Good eats Smile ).  And that's my 2 cents on my garden lettuce!  Maybe I need to add more compost to my lettuce!

Try sowing lettuce thickly in a short one foot row in a square then harvest almost daily as a cut and come again . Don't let it get much taller than 4 inches  cut and compost if needed & keep it well watered and fed with a compost tea almost daily if needs be .

Last year in just one test square foot square we did a row of mixed lettuce a row of thickly sown, a mixed radish row thinly then another row of thickly sown mixed lettuce seed and another row of mixed radish seed last year . For we also foun d that the individual lettuce were too big too soon & too many too .

A tip for sowing the lettuce and radish thickly in a straight one foot long row .
 Fold a one foot long 2" wide strip of corrugated cardboard into a vee along the corrugations from end to end  or  Find a bit of right 1 " angled aluminum , plastic etc . turn it upside down so it will run between two seed [labels set edgewise to run along the line of the row .
press one edge of the guide 1/4 inch or so in the line , lift the guide ,set it on the MM so the depressed line in the MM is at the edge of  the guide edge  and then slide/sprinkle the seed on the angled side  so it slips down it in to the depression , now gently sprinkle MM over the sown seed to cover it . It  lays a great narrrow  straight row of seed .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum