Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Second Year SFG in Canada
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 7:24 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 7:08 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 5:28 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Today at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mels Mix for Seedlings

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mels Mix for Seedlings

Post  CitizenKate on 4/9/2016, 11:20 pm

They look fabulous, Jimmy!  I just tried some regular (more coarse) MM to start a few more carrots and spinach plants, and just made a "dent" on top, dropped the seeds (that are usually pre-sprouted in wet paper towels) into the dent, then sprinkled fine vermiculite over them.  They loved it.  I think you're onto something, here.

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/10/2016, 8:51 am

I start mine in MM, too, but it's used and unsifted.  And not beautiful like yours, since mine grow leggy in the window.
Jimmy, could you experiment with those cukes and put them into a plastic mini green house or the like to see how far you can take them?  Maybe a clam pack around them after transplanting them into their permanent spot?

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 4/10/2016, 10:27 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:I start mine in MM, too, but it's used and unsifted.  And not beautiful like yours, since mine grow leggy in the window.
Jimmy, could you experiment with those cukes and put them into a plastic mini green house or the like to see how far you can take them?  Maybe a clam pack around them after transplanting them into their permanent spot?
I was considering up potting, then taking them out to my mini hot square..Only problem is temps being down to teens sort of changed me on that one...70s coming up soon, maybe will do then

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 4/10/2016, 12:31 pm

Those in the know are always telling us you don't need anything special for starting seeds.  They only need seed starting mix.
Jimmy.....Your lovely healthy plants show that isn't so.  I think your MM is doing the trick of starting a healthy bunch of crops.  
Thanks for the photographic proof that MM is great for starting seeds.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/10/2016, 4:17 pm

Jimmy has also got the watering , lighting and heating sorted spot on , judging by the plant structure & green colour of the leaves .

I noticed that quite a few folk who say that they didn't think much of using the MM for seed starting  often seemed to produce long yellowish green lanky spindly baby plants that looked as though they had either too much light or too much heat or both .

Jimmy , I make my own 2 " dia x 8 inch long wax candles ,  to give a 1& 1/2 tall flame to heat my 12 x 8 foot  glass greenhouse  .  One keeps it above 5 oC  ( about 40 oF ) at night .

One of my candles burns for about 28 hours , the carbon dioxide given off from the flame also helps the plants grow.

The candle is sat in a shallow cast iron dish so it won't cause a fire if it fall over .

Would a 3/4 inch domestic plain candle or similar one sat in  a 4 inch deep glass ( Pyrex ) dish in the middle of your " cool house "  be any good for heat to get growing your stuff on in bigger pots till the weather gets warmer ?

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/10/2016, 6:24 pm

Jimmy, they look so healthy! You have got it goin' on!

@plantoid wrote:Jimmy , I make my own 2 " dia x 8 inch long wax candles ,  to give a 1& 1/2 tall flame to heat my 12 x 8 foot  glass greenhouse  .  One keeps it above 5 oC  ( about 40 oF ) at night .

One of my candles burns for about 28 hours , the carbon dioxide given off from the flame also helps the plants grow.

The candle is sat in a shallow cast iron dish so it won't cause a fire if it fall over .

Would a 3/4 inch domestic plain candle or similar one sat in  a 4 inch deep glass ( Pyrex ) dish in the middle of your " cool house "  be any good for heat to get growing your stuff on in bigger pots till the weather gets warmer ?

GENIUS!  Love it!  tongue

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 4/10/2016, 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3793

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 4/10/2016, 9:57 pm

Why not try one, two, or even 3 crock pots, ( slow cookers )  set on low and full of water, Me I would prefer that over a candle for safety reasons.  I had one in my plant cubicle last year, this year I did not use it, results are just as good...My thoughts are to many out there are making to much out of the heat pads used for seed starting., but thats only my thoughts.
Seeds have a built in gene for starting up to their true leaves, enough nutrients are built into their makeup, after that they need help.
I did try starting seeds in plain vermiculite, it worked, I just thought it was to much of an extra task and not necessary.

I like that idea about those giant candles, however, due to a fire years ago because of my ignorance, I would be really concerned, although I could have one in a steel 6 foot container with 12 fire alarms and probably still feel apprehensive

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate on 4/10/2016, 10:03 pm

@quiltbea wrote:Those in the know are always telling us you don't need anything special for starting seeds.  They only need seed starting mix.
Personally, I've tried numerous mixes "designed" for starting seeds, and I've been disappointed with all of them. I've gotten very slow/low germination and/or slow growth with all of them, compared to general purpose growing mixes. Either the folks who use them are a lot more patient than I am, or I'm missing something crucial in the proper use of them.

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum