Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by trolleydriver Today at 9:21 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:21 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 8:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by plantoid Today at 7:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Composting Paper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Composting Paper

Post  dk54321 on 3/16/2015, 7:35 am

I first tried newspaper as mulch after making a lasagna bed. (The Lasagna Garden) I found it blew away too easily. I tried wetting it down, but in a few hours it dried out, and then blew away. I tried running it through my paper shredder and found that the long, narrow strips formed a tangled mat that stayed in place, particularly when it was placed around plants because the stems wove through the strips. 

I began shredding all my used paper and using it for mulch or adding it to the compost pile. All went well until I moved. I don't know if the wind patterns are different here, but the shredded paper doesn't all stay in the bin. I find strips scattered about the yard, even on the other side of the house and, worse, in the neighbors' yard.

I want to be a good neighbor, but I hate to give up on an abundant mulch and compost material and send it to the landfill. It also makes good worm bedding. I've used it for vermicomposting indoors, but my success rate is about 50%. Half the time my worms thrive, and the other half, I do everything the same, and they all die. Since I have family members with allergies, I don't like to keep a potential source of mold in the house. I'm looking for better ways to contain paper while it's composting. What has worked for you?

dk54321

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Composting Paper

Post  plantoid on 3/16/2015, 8:56 am

Covering the heap with a sheet of thick black  polythene or old carpet /tarp etc that gets weighted down around the edges not only helps the rotting /composting & heat retention it also keeps the bits of paper  under control 

When adding fresh torn up into " your  ear sized " bits paper by the bucket full give it a fine hose spray to damp it down & help the composting action get started &  don't add lots of layers.

Like you I did the shredding thing ....ribbons were a dismal failure . Cross shredding works well so long as I only gave them to the heap at a couple of handfuls at a time & then added fresh veg matter or straw etc. , otherwise ...like you I find they turned into papier mache.
One particular time I had a lot of very old tax records to dispose off and ended up with seven trash bags full of them done up in cross cut form .

I put these through my chimaera one evening whilst also putting a couple of glasses of wine through me , then add the ashes  to the compost bins over the next few days .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3595

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/16/2015, 11:49 am

I used shredded office paper a lot!  The first time I used paper it blew all over the  neighborhood. Shocked  Yikes!  Now I add it to my compost pile as if they were leaves, wet it, then cover with more green matter.  I also have it as mulch around a bunch of shrubs growing in mostly sand. I'm trying to condition the soil a bit using just paper as an experiment.  It's stays there as it's up against the house on a side that is protected from the wind. 

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  katjohn83 on 3/16/2015, 1:41 pm

What kind of paper do you add to your compost? I have read somewhere... I think...not to add smooth magazine type paper and if adding newspaper to make sure they use a certain type of ink. But I have often wondered about envelopes with their glues (but we lick it so it can't be all that bad) and bills with different inks.

katjohn83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 3/16/2015, 1:50 pm

@plantoid wrote:- - -
One particular time I had a lot of very old tax records to dispose off and ended up with seven trash bags full of them done up in cross cut form .

I put these through my chimaera one evening whilst also putting a couple of glasses of wine through me , then add the ashes  to the compost bins over the next few days .
 I like that bit Very Happy

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4221

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 3/16/2015, 1:56 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@plantoid wrote:- - -

I like that bit Very Happy
+1 bottoms up

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13981

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum