Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:02 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 8:58 am

» Roasted butternut squash soup
by trolleydriver Today at 8:49 am

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by brianj555 Today at 8:40 am

» Flavor bomb cubes for veggies and...
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:53 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Frankensquash
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» Compost Heaps
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:09 pm

» Fall Garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Hello from NE OHIO
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal Yesterday at 8:59 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:26 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 11:26 am

» Happy Autumn Equinox
by brianj555 9/23/2017, 11:24 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie 9/23/2017, 8:44 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 7:25 am

» New England September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:59 pm

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2017, 7:56 pm

» Spotted Lanternfly: invasive pest "new" to the US
by sanderson 9/21/2017, 1:41 pm

» First red kidney bean harvest....now what?
by AtlantaMarie 9/21/2017, 6:28 am

» question about Garlic and winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:38 pm

» Ginger
by has55 9/20/2017, 2:38 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2017
by Kelejan 9/20/2017, 2:29 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie 9/20/2017, 9:08 am

» harvesting wood chips
by Kelejan 9/19/2017, 9:55 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by brianj555 9/19/2017, 7:18 pm

» leeks again
by donnainzone5 9/19/2017, 12:17 pm

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 9/19/2017, 9:03 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 3/30/2015, 10:55 am

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me better ideas of covering my greens for the Spring. I found the suggestion to use tulle was great, but I decided to go with No See Um mosquito fabric from Joann Fabric. I think this was Boffer or Jimmy Lee idea. The fabric is much more durable and will last more than one season from the sun's UV rays. 
I would like to thank the SFG ladies for the idea of getting a 50% coupon off Joann's fabric website. It save me so much money. 
These pictures are two weeks old. I have taken out those winter support bars for the frost blanket.. I will do a video later.

Thank everyone again. 



avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  yolos on 3/30/2015, 1:50 pm

I looked on Jo-Ann website for "No See Um Mosquito Netting" and this was all I could find.  Is this what you used. It is 72" wide.
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html
PS - 50% off sale until Arpil 4
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3254
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 3/30/2015, 4:12 pm

yolos wrote:I looked on Jo-Ann website for "No See Um Mosquito Netting" and this was all I could find.  Is this what you used. It is 72" wide.
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html
PS - 50% off sale until Arpil 4
Yes, I had one of the ladies at the store sew 2 of them to gather for me at her home. they were 4 yrs long(12 ft) x's 72" wide(6ft)=12ft x 12 ft square. I added 1/2" pvc pipe 5 ft long on two sides for weight. I filled the pipes with small rocks and cap each end off. the other 2 sides I used  two 2 1/2 ft long 1/2 pvc pipe. this allowed me to pulled the fabric over the EMT pipes and collapse it down on the other side. I switching to 1" pvc with rock inside. the 1/2 inch is too light weight when stronger winds are present. I used snap clamps to hold the fabric to the pipes.







avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  yolos on 3/30/2015, 5:58 pm

Thank you for clarifying this for me.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3254
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I enjoyed reading/seeing that

Post  Windmere on 3/30/2015, 11:52 pm

Thanks for that detailed information has55.  Your garden looks beautiful by the way.
avatar
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  sanderson on 3/31/2015, 12:46 am

Has, The fabric in your photos is the "No See Um" ?? It looks almost like bridal tulle but a tad heavier, whereas the fabric Yolos highlighted (http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html) looks like it could be used as shade cloth. It is already hot here and I may need to by more shade protection but I don't want to pay a fortune.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14604
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 3/31/2015, 2:16 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  The fabric in your photos is the "No See Um" ??  It looks almost like bridal tulle but a tad heavier, whereas the fabric Yolos highlighted (http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html) looks like it could be used as shade cloth.  It is already hot here and I may need to by more shade protection but I don't want to pay a fortune.
ok, I'm a man at the mercy of the Joann's women employees that I hope knew what I wanted from the picture I showed them on my iPhone. I hope it's not tulle. My heart will be broken. I will ask tomorrow. You're right the picture is different. Hmm. If not, then i will will probably get just a year use out of the fabric. I'll let you know. I was still impressed by the 50% off deal.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  sanderson on 3/31/2015, 2:51 am

Has, I'm on the second summer for some of the tulle. I'm careful using the binder clips to attach. I machine washed on gentle and stored them over the winter. I had some new wider (108") tulle for this past winter cole crops.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14604
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 3/31/2015, 3:20 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  I'm on the second summer for some of the tulle.  I'm careful using the binder clips to attach.  I machine washed on gentle and stored them over the winter.  I had some new wider (108") tulle for this past winter cole crops.  
sanderson, thank you. it help decrease the pain if it's the wrong fabric. that's why I call it the SFG Journey. Live, learn, retrace step if necessary and grow, grow, grow. 
Rganks windmere and Yolos for the pleasant, refreshing and healing comments. That's why I hang around this group.Very Happy
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 4/1/2015, 9:15 am

Found out yesterday, I have the right fabric. Happy, happy, happy. It definitely different. Thanks everyone for your support.
I probably get better material as these break down from a website like this one. it more expensive, but will give me years of service. I also can get borders if I want it.
Mosquito Netting Fabric Store

right now.i'm using what I just purchased for this SFG Journey-Spring 2015

question. Is there a way to tell what date or year replies are posted?
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  boffer on 4/1/2015, 10:21 am

Select 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of the page.

Select the 'Preferences' tab.

Near bottom of page is where you select time/date options.

It will show up here
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  yolos on 4/1/2015, 11:25 am

has55 wrote:Found out yesterday, I have the right fabric. Happy, happy, happy. It definitely different. Thanks everyone for your support.
I probably get better material as these break down from a website like this one. it more expensive, but will give me years of service. I also can get borders if I want it.
Mosquito Netting Fabric Store

right now.i'm using what I just purchased for this SFG Journey-Spring 2015

question. Is there a way to tell what date or year replies are posted?

The mosquito netting fabric store is a little pricey but I bet it will last a lot longer than the tulle.  Also, they had a neat video showing how to cheaply connect two pieces of netting together and also how to put a snap along the edge.  The video was called Improvising Rigging.  This same method could be used to put together two pieces of tulle to make it bigger or custom fit your frames.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3254
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 4/1/2015, 6:04 pm

boffer wrote:Select 'Profile' in the green nav bar at the top of the page.

Select the 'Preferences' tab.

Near bottom of page is where you select time/date options.

It will show up here
Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 4/1/2015, 6:05 pm

yolos, I didn't see that video. I have to go back later and watch it.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  boffer on 4/1/2015, 6:31 pm

has55 wrote:...Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?

I happened by chance to use your post as an example.  Here's another member's post on this page.



Am I not understanding your question?
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  jimmy cee on 4/2/2015, 5:48 am

has55
That looks nice, and the price for me is very nice, I paid $3.00 a yard @ 36 inches wide for what I've been using.
Your material is $4.00 a yard and at 72 inches wide....this make it $2.00 per yard for what I've been paying, and if another 50% sale comes along that's $1.00.
I'll stock up at that price
avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1917
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  yolos on 4/2/2015, 9:07 am

jimmy cee wrote:has55
That looks nice, and the price for me is very nice, I paid $3.00 a yard @ 36 inches wide for what I've been using.
Your material is $4.00 a yard and at 72 inches wide....this make it $2.00 per yard for what I've been paying, and if another 50% sale comes along that's $1.00.
I'll stock up at that price

50% off coupon thru Sat 4/4/15.
http://www.joann.com/coupon/?ici=hb-1&icn=Home


I want to make sure I have it correct.  Is this the fabric has55 is talking about.
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-mosquito-netting-white/10173292.html
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3254
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 4/2/2015, 3:04 pm

boffer wrote:
has55 wrote:...Boffer I was talking about when I read other's SFG's replies. how do you figure out if their replies is this year, last year or 2-3 years ago?

I happened by chance to use your post as an example.  Here's another member's post on this page.



Am I not understanding your question?
I didn't understand your answer. I went in the first time to adjust the time and found it was for myself. I went in this time to send a reply. as I was in the reply section i noticed I can see everyones date and year, which is what I wanted but not when I'm on the main page reading the replies by others. Is this what you meant?
 My question is how to see the date of the post on the reading page. 
this process work what I just explained, but I think you might be telling me another process that I'm not understanding.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  camprn on 4/2/2015, 10:31 pm

Haas, did you figure out how to turn the date and time stamp on, from your profile?

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  has55 on 4/3/2015, 7:16 am

I followed Boffer instruction, but it wasn't working. Butttttttt, today it's started working. I can see the dates, time and year of older posting, such as 2011, 2012, etc... thank you. I don't know why it was not working when I reviewed other people older posting from past years.
Thanks everyone.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1641
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  ralitaco on 4/20/2015, 10:51 am

has55 wrote:I added 1/2" pvc pipe 5 ft long on two sides for weight. I filled the pipes with small rocks and cap each end off. the other 2 sides I used  two 2 1/2 ft long 1/2 pvc pipe. this allowed me to pulled the fabric over the EMT pipes and collapse it down on the other side. I switching to 1" pvc with rock inside. the 1/2 inch is too light weight when stronger winds are present. I used snap clamps to hold the fabric to the pipes.
you could try adding sand to the 1/2" for weight
avatar
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1043
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The SFG Spring Journey-SFG Covering for Insect protection

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum