Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by GardenGal Today at 6:40 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 5:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 4:35 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anybody have some cheese to go with my whine?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anybody have some cheese to go with my whine?

Post  martha on 5/5/2010, 3:58 pm

So the weather is beautiful. Work is under control sufficiently to spend some time in the garden. Most of my stuff is growing well. Without a doubt my seedlings are experiencing a far higher rate of success than I have ever had in previous years. My husband is very supportive of me spending time in the garden.

The problem? I am having "back issues" and can't work for more than 20 minutes at a time!
ARRGGGGGH!

Okay, back to work now. Thanks for letting me stomp my feet for a moment.

martha

Female Posts : 2188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anybody have some cheese to go with my whine?

Post  LaFee on 5/5/2010, 4:50 pm

I can absolutely sympathise with having a dodgy back. Exercise makes mine better, if I can grit my teeth tight enough to work through the discomfort....so the means is well worth the end. Walking helps me immeasurably...happily, I do a lot more walking now than I used to, so my back is in the best shape it's been in years (although it still grumbles when I do too much bending over!)

Hope it feels better soon....some things I've found tremendous relief with:

Naproxen Sodium (Nuprin)
Arnica oil (helps with soft-tissue injuries of all kinds -- strains, sprains, and bruises)
ice (not heat on a sore back, which is counter-intuitive...but it works)
Chiropractic
Exercise.

I'll throw them out without preaching, in the hopes something might work for you...back pain is never any fun.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/5/2010, 4:55 pm

yes to ice, chiro and walking. This is an old problem, only recently (correctly) diagnosed. My next door neighbor is my very powerful example to strictly obey doctor's orders - he is a tough, macho guy and he has been out of work for 4 months - with the exact same problem I have, but he pushed it way too far. As I would like to do, right now, frankly! In my garden!

martha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/5/2010, 5:32 pm

I also have a wonky back so empathise big time. It's so hard to not overdo when there's pleasant SFG work to be done. Sending good healing thoughts your way.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda on 5/5/2010, 6:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your back. Mine has been also been bothering me due to all the lifting and bending required when I built my boxes. I have found the stretches in the book "3 Minutes a Day to a Pain Free Life" often put my back pain at bay. The books outlines 3 minutes of stretches that help reverse the abuse we do to our bodies. I am not perfect about doing them but when I feel things start to tighten up, I find they really help.

Anyway, just thought I would pass on the tip in case you want to check it out.

Hope you feel better!

Shoda

Female Posts : 439

View user profile http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this on 5/5/2010, 6:41 pm

depending on your problem, believe it or not your HAMSTRINGS have much to do with your back acting up.

make sure you stretch your hams and you may notice back pain/soreness easing up.

new2this

Female Posts : 215

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Here's some cheese for you

Post  ander217 on 5/5/2010, 7:24 pm

@martha wrote:My next door neighbor is my very powerful example to strictly obey doctor's orders - he is a tough, macho guy and he has been out of work for 4 months - with the exact same problem I have, but he pushed it way too far.

Martha, when did you move next door to me? That surely must be my husband you're talking about! On second thought, no, my sweetie finally went back to work. He's an RN and got a good case of nurse's back (two pinched nerves, bone spurs, etc.) which knocked him out or work for three months to recuperate from surgery.

I will give you all the cheese you want to go with your whine. You deserve it with a bad back.

At least our cloud had a silver lining. While my Dear Husband was laid up unable to drive, he desperately read everything in the house, including an old copy of a book we found way in the back of the closet called, _Square-Foot Gardening_ which I bought in the 1970's and forgot about. That led us to change our whole way of thinking about our row-style garden, and here I am now trying to figure it all out.

May your pain lead you to as much joyous gain.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 5/5/2010, 9:08 pm

Whatever your back problem is, you have my empathy. Back pain can be all consuming. I assume you make your living on your feet; hopefully you're able to get through that part of the day without tearing a customer's head off!

When you report back to us that you have been following your doctor's orders and are beginning to feel better, I'll tell you how to minimize back pain in the veggie garden. Until then, get well soon.

Steve

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/5/2010, 9:53 pm

Um, Steve, I'm thinking....table top gardens in my future? I have been thinking about them these past few days!

martha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 5/5/2010, 9:56 pm

LOL of course!! I didn't want to be a smarty pants when you're not feeling well.

Welcome to the beat up, old body club happy hi

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/5/2010, 10:28 pm

Oh, yeah, I am so a member of that club - and so is my husband who is 6 1/2 years younger than I am, but I turned him into an old man in a hurry! "Let's buy a restaurant" she said. "you are out of your mind" he said. Opening day at the restaurant was 11 months later!

martha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonRigby2005 on 5/6/2010, 1:28 pm

I sure can sympathize, I'm not even 30 and have 10 bulging discs out of 23. 2 of those 10 push into my thecal sac (nerve bundle in spine). I am in pain all day every day, its just a matter of how bad. I don't even need to lift anything to throw my back out. I guess you could say I am the "macho man" type. Been working through it (in construction) for years, and now it's worse than ever. I haven't worked in 6 months and am currently going back to college for a degree in botany, because of my inability to continue working in my trade. It is a very depressing ordeal, but I am trying to keep my head up and look at the positives. I've always wanted to go back to college, and I guess this was the kick in the ass i needed. I wish you the best, and when it comes to gardening you really need to plan far ahead so you can do a little here and a little there, avoiding the times where you need to work all day.

I use ice and heat, 15min of each for an hour at night
Having my wife massage my back helps, or even just walking on my back.
Physical therapy is nice but who can afford $25 a visit 3x a week, not me
And, walking

But at the end of the day nothing gets rid of the pain, not even narcotic pain pills(which i try hard not to take, but they do have they're place)

JonRigby2005

Male Posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/6/2010, 1:42 pm

10 bulging discs! I have one, and I am complaining???? My whine is officially tabled. God love you, Jon. And you are young!

martha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonRigby2005 on 5/6/2010, 1:58 pm

Tell me about it, way to young for this. This all stems from a car accident when I was 17, then not wanting to admit i had back problems for years, and working as if my back was healthy, when I knew it wasn't. But, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. For years I told myself I would go back to school to pursue a degree in electrical engineering (i'm an electrician by trade), but like i said I changed my mind, botany it is, I want to do what I love. Plants and cooking, maybe one day I can combine them professionally, I'm tired of killing myself just for a paycheck and no satisfaction.

JonRigby2005

Male Posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

For Jon

Post  ander217 on 5/6/2010, 8:57 pm

Jon, I'm truly sorry you have to deal with this.

I have a painful history too, - thirteen years of unbelievable pain that I don't even want to remember, - but don't give up hope because you never know what tomorrow will bring. When I was at my lowest point, could barely walk, couldn't breathe, had excruciating headaches, and had been told I was going blind and had about two years left to live, some obscure radiologist whose name I will never know happened to see something on my 4th MRI that scores of doctors before him had missed. The little note that he/she jotted down set in place a series of miracles that led to brain and neck surgery to correct Chiari I Malformation, and the surgery also relieved my fibromyalgia. So don't ever give up hope. Miracles do happen.

But even if they hadn't found a way to relieve much of my pain, during the years I was so ill, my husband became interested in helping the nurses who came to care for me. At age 40 he went to nursing school and found his life's calling. That in turn led one of our daughters to become a nurse. When we look back we see how so many lives were changed in good ways because of my illness. I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis a couple of years after my surgery, but after living with the Chiari, MG is like nothing to me. I feel I can conquer anything.

I hope you get through today, and you have a better tomorrow that will put you one step closer to realizing your dreams. You can do it.

ander217

Female Posts : 1450

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  martha on 5/6/2010, 9:35 pm

thank you all for your stories. they are my reminder to look at the bright side. Even if I am whining light-heartedly, I will instead focus on how fortunate I was to get a correct diagnosis.

martha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum