Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:13 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:32 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 12:52 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Living mulch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Living mulch

Post  zackshea on 4/7/2015, 4:19 pm

Has anyone tried a living mulch in a SFG?  I looked but didn't see any posts about it.

http://www.veggiegardener.com/what-is-living-mulch/

I personally love sweet alyssum, both pink and white varieties.

zackshea

Male Posts : 69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Living mulch

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/7/2015, 4:42 pm

Hm, interesting but I would wonder if the cover crop wouldn't take away the moisture & nutrients meant for the veggies. Also, since the SFG method is to plant intensively, there isn't much space to use cover crops cautiously or to sow seeds in dedicated areas.

If you try it, I'd love to see photos and hear about the results. Very Happy

Btw, glad you\'re here to the forum! Where are you located? Are you growing anything now?

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/7/2015, 11:45 pm

I grow alysum in the greenhouse under tomatoes.  The bees and hover wasps love it and so do I.  Then there is self seeding cilantro among the peas and broccoli and chamomile in the beans.  O and a leaf lettuce under some tomatoes too.  Basically this is companion planting, fitting together a shallow rooted low growing plant with a taller deeper rooted plant.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast

Turan

Female Posts : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zackshea on 4/8/2015, 8:23 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:Hm, interesting but I would wonder if the cover crop wouldn't take away the moisture & nutrients meant for the veggies.  Also, since the SFG method is to plant intensively, there isn't much space to use cover crops cautiously or to sow seeds in dedicated areas.

If you try it, I'd love to see photos and hear about the results.  Very Happy

Btw,  glad you\'re here  to the forum!  Where are you located?  Are you growing anything now?

CC
Thanks!  I have been following this forum for 2 years now, but I never had anything to contribute Smile

This is my second year gardening in general, and second year SFG.  Last year I had one 15'x4', this year I found free raised bed kits on a facebook yardsale site so now i have 2 8'x4's and a 4'x4' to complement my original bed.  The original is made out of cinder block and I grow borage, nasturtium, daisy, marigold, alyssum, and bachelors button in the holes.  It is like a bee hurricane in my yard lol. 

I am in zone 6-7, Chester County, PA.  About 30 mins NW of Philly.  I have onions, beets, carrots, spinach, lettuce, snap peas, and kale in the ground.  Eggplant, cherry and brandywine tomatoes, hot peppers and bell pepper seedlings going strong inside.  I also grow potatoes in the 15 gallon grow bags using MM.  Works like a charm! 

I hope to trellis sugar baby watermelon, spaghetti squash, eggplant, 12 squares of cukes (last year I made about 30 gallons of pickles with 10 plants,) and zukes. 

To stay on topic, I plan on using the living mulch under my cukes and tomatoes.

I will post pics if it works out Smile

zackshea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 4/8/2015, 11:28 am

If ya try it be prepared to have to get out the plant food and miricle grow watering hose.  most things are planted too close for cover to grow anyways and stuff like cucs ya plant on the edge of a box to trellis why not plant stuff you can use in the squares like loos leaf greens or something
  Just plant them after the peas or cucs have begun their climb.

Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 521

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  zackshea on 4/8/2015, 11:42 am

I was hoping the plants would act as mulch - retaining water and not using it all!

Maybe I will try it in a small area and see what happens.

zackshea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/8/2015, 11:46 am

Wow, zackshea, those free beds just about knocked my socks off!  Aren't you the lucky duck!  Sounds like you're in full SFG mode and have a lot of experience to share.  You & I are in the same zone type 6/7 and have identical plants going right now inside and out.  Except I haven't planted carrot seeds yet.  How are your carrots doing?  

@Turan wrote:I grow alysum in the greenhouse under tomatoes.  The bees and hover wasps love it and so do I.  Then there is self seeding cilantro among the peas and broccoli and chamomile in the beans.  O and a leaf lettuce under some tomatoes too.  Basically this is companion planting, fitting together a shallow rooted low growing plant with a taller deeper rooted plant.

Interesting, Turan.  I've done carrots under tomatoes but never flowers.  

Cappy, I like tucking leafy greens in amongst other veggies, too, if I can find the space.  

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zackshea on 4/8/2015, 12:47 pm

CapeCoddess - what part of the cape are you from?

I have family in Chatham and Orleans.

A couple carrots sprouted, I planted them last week.  I think the Scarlet variety and the purple ones are coming up.  I had great luck with carrots last year since i made that part of the SFG a foot deep and added a little sand.  

My dad used to use clover and alyssum as living mulch for his rows of corn, but I never really knew if it worked in a SFG.  I like the idea of leafy greens under the tomatoes.

My wife found the raised bed kits from someone giving them away.   I looked them up and they retail for a LOT. They also gave me yards and yards of soaker hoses. I still have enough left over boards and spikes for 2 more 8'x4's but I didn't want to overwhelm my small yard. Yet Cool

I couldn't believe how great my garden was for my first year.  I used veterans compost and worm castings as the only type of compost.  I didn't use any fertilizer or any other amendments!

Nice to meet you!

zackshea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell on 4/16/2015, 11:51 am

@zackshea wrote:CapeCoddess - what part of the cape are you from?

I have family in Chatham and Orleans.

A couple carrots sprouted, I planted them last week.  I think the Scarlet variety and the purple ones are coming up.  I had great luck with carrots last year since i made that part of the SFG a foot deep and added a little sand.  

My dad used to use clover and alyssum as living mulch for his rows of corn, but I never really knew if it worked in a SFG.  I like the idea of leafy greens under the tomatoes.

My wife found the raised bed kits from someone giving them away.   I looked them up and they retail for a LOT. They also gave me yards and yards of soaker hoses. I still have enough left over boards and spikes for 2 more 8'x4's but I didn't want to overwhelm my small yard. Yet Cool

I couldn't believe how great my garden was for my first year.  I used veterans compost and worm castings as the only type of compost.  I didn't use any fertilizer or any other amendments!

Nice to meet you!
I've gone with Veteran compost as well (I'm in Delco, hi neighbor!).  I had so many other things to do this year with the new house that I got lazy and bought my Mel's Mix from them too.  It seems to be okay, though there are a lot more big pieces of stick and random things in the compost than what I had when I made my own.  But it gets good recommendations, and if it went well for you last year, I think it'll work out okay.

moswell

Female Posts : 361

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zackshea on 4/16/2015, 11:54 am

@moswell wrote:
I've gone with Veteran compost as well (I'm in Delco, hi neighbor!).  I had so many other things to do this year with the new house that I got lazy and bought my Mel's Mix from them too.  It seems to be okay, though there are a lot more big pieces of stick and random things in the compost than what I had when I made my own.  But it gets good recommendations, and if it went well for you last year, I think it'll work out okay.

Nice, someone who lives in the same area as me!  Are you in my zone?

zackshea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell on 4/16/2015, 11:55 am

@zackshea wrote:
@moswell wrote:

Nice, someone who lives in the same area as me!  Are you in my zone?
According to the USDA, I'm in zone 7a.  I need to update my profile with that!

moswell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/16/2015, 6:58 pm

I've never heard of Veterans compost before so I googled it.  What an interesting website. They even make an SFG mix, is that the one you guys used? http://www.veterancompost.com/our-products-1/

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 4/16/2015, 7:19 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:I've never heard of Veterans compost before so I googled it.  What an interesting website. They even make an SFG mix, is that the one you guys used? http://www.veterancompost.com/our-products-1/

I'm biased because I'm the one who gave him the "recipe". He provides it for me and my customers. LOVE Justen & his crew.

You know that adage about corn? Knee high by 4th of July? On the 6th of July my neighbor's corn was well over 6'. She used Veteran Compost.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1861

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell on 4/20/2015, 11:29 am

@sfg4uKim wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:I've never heard of Veterans compost before so I googled it.  What an interesting website. They even make an SFG mix, is that the one you guys used? http://www.veterancompost.com/our-products-1/

I'm biased because I'm the one who gave him the "recipe". He provides it for me and my customers. LOVE Justen & his crew.

You know that adage about corn? Knee high by 4th of July? On the 6th of July my neighbor's corn was well over 6'. She used Veteran Compost.
Smile You're definitely the reason I was willing to try them out last year.  And they were very friendly and helpful.  I bought a little from them in the fall and then a lot this spring, and my veggies are certainly popping right up. Smile  I think I'll stick with them for my compost as well, since I really don't feel like making my own compost.

moswell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 4/20/2015, 12:48 pm

@sfg4uKim wrote:

Well done, Kim, for passing on the "Recipe".  Gradually spreading throughout the world bit by bit.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:15 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum