Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2015

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England, May 2015

Post  quiltbea on 5/15/2015, 9:59 pm

As I was driving down our long driveway out for errands, I noticed both my dwarf apples had 'tents' on them.  I stopped the car right away, and luckily I keep plastic bags in my pockets.  Comes with having a couple dogs that I pick up after either on walks or in the yard.
So I got those tent caterpillars off with paper towels (another thing in my pockets at all times) and their residue.  Tied up tight in the bag and into the trashcan for Monday's pickup.  I never had them on my trees before but I've seen them disgracing some of the trees down the road aways.
Never got any transplanting done.  My back was aching when I got home from all those errands.  Another day tomorrow and a better one I'm thinking, with cooler comfy temps for digging in the dirt.  I want to get the Swiss chard in and the mini-tomatoes at least (in the covered greenhouse bed).  Should be safe I'm thinking.
If anyone watches the Triple Crown races, The Preakness runs tomorrow, Sat the May 16th.
Oh yah, I roasted the first harvest of asparagus for the family's supper tonite.  Greattt!  Had my share as well.  And there's enough growing out there now that I shall harvest another batch possibly tomorrow and save them for Monday nite's dinner.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4613

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/16/2015, 4:31 am

@quiltbea wrote: tent caterpillars
 So that's what they are called.  A few months ago I saw them in the crepe myrtle tree over my compost pile!  I will be on the look out this year.

Last edited by sanderson on 5/16/2015, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/16/2015, 10:46 am

No asparagus for me until next year. But they sure are looking hardy...and tall!

Did anyone get any rain? Not a drop here.  One of the landscapers just dumped a load of cut grass over at my compost pile this morning. I'm thrilled. I think I'll use it as mulch because I've run out of pine needles.

I didn't get my tomatoes and basil planted yesterday because I saw that Tuesday night is going down into the forties and I don't want to have to cover. But a neighbor says her soil thermometer is coming up at 59 degrees. And that's in ground. Our raised beds are supposed to be warmer, right? Maybe today's the day?

Still no bees except the occasional bumble. I know it's because my neighbor sprays. I'm sick about it.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/16/2015, 11:15 am

Well CC, don't give up on the bees yet. It's still a little early. It's not like the weather has been ideal for them to flitter about too much yet. Blossoms are just starting (except for dandelion).

No rain here, just damp, cloudy and chilly. BUT I got to a local nursery this morning, they had blueberry bushes for $10 (hopefully not neonic-treated like Home Depot's were - I asked the owner, he said he doubted the grower used neonics, I hope he's right) so I got 3, and a catmint, and an Anne yellow raspberry. 

The woman in front of me with her cart of growing planters was telling the clerk: This is my vice. I don't have any other vices. I don't spend money on anything else. Just this. Then she looked back at my cart and said: Uh huh. And I said - Yup. I'm with you there. LOL.

A soil thermometer would be really helpful, wouldn't it. 

Going to a plant swap this afternoon. I have to dig some raspberries, strawberries, and walking onions out of the yard to take.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/16/2015, 3:46 pm

CC contact your local club and see if anyone wants to locate a hive in your yard.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/16/2015, 4:15 pm

@camprn wrote:CC contact your local club and see if anyone wants to locate a hive in your yard.
Our homeowners association won't allow hives or chickens. I may take them on about this once I retire if I don't decide to Snowbird instead. 

I planted out half of my tomatoes today, one of each variety. I'll plant the second of each variety this weekend which is the normal planting time for my area. That way I can see if planting a smidge earlier makes any difference in harvest. I also planted out another batch of kale as well as some broccoli. I have more broccoli left but no place to put it. At least no place that I want to cover anyway.

Any other brave, or crazy, planters out there?

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/16/2015, 5:45 pm

I transplanted my bok choy and kale this afternoon. I think they are not in their final resting place. I'm getting a late start on the garden this year. Dangit!

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/16/2015, 6:35 pm

Yippee!  American Pharoah just took the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown.

I transplanted out 6 Swiss Chard (Brite Lts) into my flower bed, and 6 of my mini-tomatoes went into the covered greenhse bed: 2 each or Tiny Tim, Lizzano (thanks Windmere for the sds), Totem and Tumbling Tiger.  I covered it over and left the top vents open for fresh air.  I think they'll be comfy tonite.
I also sowed flower seeds in my SFG: Alyssum, petunias, zinnias, campanula, and Golden Eye.
Next week I hope to get all my tomatoes planted outside and then a week or so later, my peppers should be safe to go outdoors.
Tomorrow is going to be a hot day for us but today was good, in the 50s and overcast all day so great for transplanting.
I also still have Basil to transplant and some curled Parsley, and thyme seeds and garlic chives to sow and more flower seeds that require warmer days (like 70).  So there's still more to do out there before I'm done.

Hey, I ordered one of those pocket hoses that folds itself up.  I got a longer one, 75 feet, so I can water my flower beds as well as the veggie beds.  I'll let you know how I like it.  I should get it next week.  I'm so tired of unwinding the regular hose every time I need to water and it doesn't reach my flower beds so I've always had to water those with watering cans.
I'm lucky, I've been seeing bees around my flowers for the last couple weeks.  I should have lots more when the monarda blooms.  That flower attracts them like honey.
I'm tired.  Have a good evening everyone.  Happy gardening!

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 5/16/2015, 7:19 pm

Finally gave up on trying to post photos from my phone and downloaded them to my computer. Still can't figure it out because it worked last year. Oh well anyways...here's some photos I'd like to share. I apologize for so many at once, trying to catch up.

Didn't get a darn thing done yesterday because of the activity next door. Lots of heavy equipment taking down a 75+year old oak tree. It was fascinating, I could not stop watching the process!

Here's what the gardens look like now

Broccoli, cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli rabe, cauliflower, planted 4/20/15 and battled with cutworms.

Romaine, cos, bok choy, swiss chard planted 4/27.

also carrots, beets, red and yellow onions, basil, dill and garlic in the next three beds with space left for peppers and eggplant.

Strawberries, Green beans, basil, celery, pickling cucumbers and basil. Waiting to seed some corn and bring out tomatoes.

First strawberries are starting.

First pea pods

My tomato and pepper starts sunning themselves today.

All of the tomatoes came from seeds I saved from my own tomatoes or from heirloom tomatoes we purchased to eat from the tomato festival. Hoping they do well. Not sure what will happen with the heirlooms but looking forward to the experiment.

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/16/2015, 8:16 pm

Progress is slow, but at least there is progress.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/17/2015, 12:23 am

Lyndeelou,, Love your netting.

Camp, Another good panoramic shot of your garden.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/17/2015, 11:22 am

lyndeeloo......What a great garden set-up.  Nice.
camprn......At least you're getting started.  What's the tall green crop in the left front?  Broccs maybe?   Whatever it is its bigger than my broccs and Brussels sprouts.  You got a headstart on me there.
I clicked to make it larger.  Looks like it might be cabbages?  I didn't do cabbage this year.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/17/2015, 12:11 pm

Lindeeloo, what kind of peas are those that you already have pods? I don't even have flowers yet. 

camp, looks like you have a lot done there. You always catch up and pass me by regardless of when you start. Lol 

Beautiful day today. I think we're into the seventies. Yesterdays SFG planted tomatoes are so much happier outside than the ones that  are sill in cells awaiting the Memorial Day planting.

Okay, heading out to start pulling gout weed. Somehow the snow dropped it into my gardens and it's everywhere. Man that stuff grows fast!
Evil or Very Mad

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 5/17/2015, 2:21 pm

CC They are sugar ann snap peas. First year I've grown peas, everyone said how great they are, so I thought I'd try. They came from hd, one of the few things I bought other than onion sets. That's probably why they are early.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/17/2015, 6:50 pm

Planted out these seeds today:
Whatta beautiful sunny warm day! Shorts and tank top, and of course barefootin.
Back into the forties and fifties tomorrow.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 5/18/2015, 2:41 pm

We need a new pic of your barefootin' beauties, CC!

Up my way, I finally have pea grabbage!  bounce  Well, not all the varieties yet, but one is: 'Golden Sweet'.  Next will likely be 'Roveja di Casteluccio".  Lagging behind are 'Green Arrow' and finally 'Desiree Dwarf Blauwschokkers' which I'm holding off on trellising being a dwarf variety anyway.

Which reminds me to ask if any of you have found the following to hold in your SFGs: do you find that plants tend to grow much larger than the packages say they will?  

It could be the MM, but I'm thinking it might actually be more like the extended daylight hours we get up here, plus the MM.  My squares keep outgrowing their bounds and shading their neighbors.

So, I'm doing something a bit radical this year:  my squares are actually rectangles.   affraid   Being as my beds are 4' by 16' (some a bit shorter), and my slats are starting to deteriorate, I went ahead and removed the lengthwise-slats and instead of 4, divided the box into 3.  

Since I'm not sure how much of a difference it's likely to make, for this year the lengthwise slats are just hemp tied across the length of the boxes.  If it makes a difference, then next year, I'll put in fresh wooden slats all along the length.  If it doesn't, they'll go back to their original configuration.

I'm still keeping to the suggested numbers per square, it's just that they're a little farther apart.

I'm off planting potatoes right now, but I'll take a pic and post it later for reference.

mollyhespra

Female Posts : 800

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/18/2015, 3:22 pm

I never thought about you getting more sun up your way Molly! Alaska yes, but northern NH, hadn't thought of it. That might come in really handy!

Went to a plant swap on Saturday! Hoo boy, it was a treasure find. I came away with a turkish rocket (perennial, it can get invasive, but we'll see), lemon balm, anise hyssop, a cup plant (never heard of that before, supposedly it's huge), shasta daisies, a couple raspberry plants that aren't wild like mine so it'll be interesting, and a couple flowering plants that I can't remember what she said they were. I took some of my wild raspberries, some strawberry plants, rooted elderberry cuttings, a walking onion, and some seed packets. 

One more plant sale to go to - the local library - and that's that for this summer. Slowly I'm getting everything into the ground EXCEPT my veggies! I'm a little reluctant because the forecast has low 40s coming, yet the plants are going to start going downhill if I don't get them transplanted.

Today I was driving the teen home from a dental appt. and in the parking lot there was a white flowering tree with all kinds of insects buzzing it. I stopped the car and said: Ooh. I want that.  Laughing This is a serious addiction.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdugas164 on 5/19/2015, 12:11 pm

Hi! I'm sorta new but not. I get excited each spring, comment a few times and get busy.( I have three tots under 7) I'm late getting going this year due to having my thyroid removed and recovering. I tried my hand at starting my own tomatoes and peppers by seed. Things got crowded and I lost a few tomatoes. We have been building new boxes( well hubby has done that) and I got some compost/ raised bed mix from a local organic farm here( my dad gave it to me for a bday gift) I started adding some tomatoes, herbs, watermelon and cucumber seeds to them. I also built a bean teepe and got those planted this weekend. And I have a patch of peas that will have squash later and an area I put some lettuce seed in.

sdugas164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/19/2015, 1:03 pm

Hi sdugas! happy hi  You have any photos of  your garden?

@mollyhespra wrote:
Which reminds me to ask if any of you have found the following to hold in your SFGs: do you find that plants tend to grow much larger than the packages say they will?  

It could be the MM, but I'm thinking it might actually be more like the extended daylight hours we get up here, plus the MM.  My squares keep outgrowing their bounds and shading their neighbors.

I never have plants that are even as big as the package suggests, let alone bigger, so I actually over plant my squares.  Alot of that has to do with 1) part time sun -and getting shadier every year, 2) picking and eating baby greens instead of letting them grow and 3) I don't use manure.   A lady-sized garden for a....hmm...well, no one ever accused me of being one of those. Wink

PS Too cold for tootsie photos now. Maybe tomorrow.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdugas164 on 5/19/2015, 1:10 pm

I can't get it to work on my phone but later I'll snap some with my camera... Once the rain stops.  Can't complain about the rain. Just wish I had another rain barrel.

sdugas164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/19/2015, 5:04 pm

Lovin' the rain!!!!!!!!!
weeee

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 5/19/2015, 6:36 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Lovin' the rain!!!!!!!!!
weeee
+++++++1. LOL! Very Happy Happy rain dance! hyperhyperhyperhyper
So is my grass seed! It popped up today during the rain. We got a 1/4 inch or so and I am so thankful. The gardens just soaked it right up.

lyndeeloo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/19/2015, 8:01 pm

Welcome, sdugas! Sounds like you're doing a lot!

We had probably close to 1/2" of rain last night/this morning and it was much needed! We could use more! Looks like the next chance might be Monday night/Tuesday.

What's this 40F tomorrow night? I'm still holding off on the transplanting, right now it's looking safest on Sunday, so Sunday is my new T-day. Hope the plants last that long. I'll probably bring them back in the house when it goes below 45F at night.

Lyndeeloo, your beds look beautiful!

And camprn, is it my eyes or did your beds multiply over the winter?

I saw some potatoes popping up in mine. The onions are continuing to grow. No carrots, but I'm going to put peppers in that bed instead. I don't have a fine enough soil for carrots I don't think - too much heavy mulch of leaves, etc. that doesn't decompose quickly enough from the fall. But once it does, the soil will be that much better. So I'll try again more towards mid-summer.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/20/2015, 1:26 am

I'm happy for those of you who received wanted rain.  Very Happy

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/20/2015, 9:46 am

@sanderson wrote:I'm happy for those of you who received wanted rain.  Very Happy
Thanks, Sanderson. I wish you guys would get a bunch too. 

We ended up getting two-thirds of an inch here on the Cape! Everything is so green and happy. Beautiful sunny day today so I'm planting out some Sungold tomato seedlings and two types of pole beans. I just thinned the radish sqs and took out the ones along the edge to make room for Calypso pole bean seeds. 

Got a bunch of broccoli seedlings that need a home too. I need another box.

I just checked the weather for my area. I'll be danged if it's not like someone hits a switch on Memorial Day weekend every year. The nights go above 55 come Sunday night. So strange.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum