Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» mulching
by Kelejan Today at 11:54 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 11:51 am

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by jimmy cee Today at 9:03 am

» Another item for composting.
by jimmy cee Today at 8:20 am

» New England September 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:36 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by has55 Today at 3:21 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 12:22 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» compost thermometer
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:03 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver 9/22/2016, 8:27 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2015

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England, May 2015

Post  NHGardener on 5/27/2015, 8:24 pm

Sarah, yup I'm on the seacoast, so no rain here tonight, boo hoo. I should water my garden with my tears.

Actually the sprinkler worked out okay. We're on well water too. Fortunately I think the water table is doing okay. We're a pretty soggy state in general. Just hope it stays that way.

NHGardener

Female Posts : 2298

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo on 5/28/2015, 7:11 am

First harvest last night....Yahooooo!  A nice bunch of french breakfast radishes and a few beautiful strawberries. The berries barely made it into the house. Very Happy
Planted some more radish seeds to fill in the empty spaces. I was surprised at how quickly they grew this year. 

Got a t storm last night and got about a 1/ 2 an inch of rain. Everything has that lovely, happy, green " it just rained look " this morning. So thankful for the rain!

lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/28/2015, 12:48 pm

Strawberries already, Lyndeeloo?  cheers You get the blue ribbon.  

All the beans, bush and pole and soaked, have sprouted and, every time I turned away then looked back, they were bigger.  Amazing!  The squash is sprouting slow but sure.

Marketmore cuke seeds are up and I transplanted the extras since every seed sprouted.  Hmm...thinking ...16 plants now seems a little excessive, but the goal is one cuke per day.  The borage has been transplanted here and there again in anticipation of gi-normous plants.  I watered the asparagus bed in hopes of strengthening them against being blown over by the wind, which is still crazy here, until I can FL weave them. Spread Dollar Store boxes of Hummingbird Mix & marigold flower seeds everywhere & watered them in. Filled lots of pots with compost to use as homes for the nasturtium & marigold seeds that are soaking. All this before work while Verizon was fixing my phone line.

No rain for me. Sad  I'm hoping for rain this Sunday because I have a tiny new Glowing Embers Japanese maple that a neighbor gave me that I want to plant in the front yard Sat, as well as planting out the peppers & some romaine babies.  

AND last years Ripbor & Blue Vates kales are flowering and seeding!  YIPPEE!

Guess we're all in full swing now!
veggie fun  fun veggie    happy dance  

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/28/2015, 12:59 pm

CC, maybe we can start a cucumber currency. You'll be rich. Smile Honestly, I think vegetables are much more valuable than metal disks anyway. And you won't be able to hoard them because they'll rot. Laughing So how's that. "Spend em or lose em" could be our motto.

I found a long strip along the house foundation that has *nothing* planted there, and is just crying out for dried bean seeds. Think I'll go poke some in there.

Writing out my list of trees for Fedco's spring order. I hope they're having a good nursery season...

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdugas164 on 5/28/2015, 1:58 pm

Cc- my kids love cucumbers and hubby hates having to wait a week for the first jar of pickles to cure in the frig. i have 16 squares planted but only two seeds have popped so far. we had a cold snap right after i put them in so i think it slowed them down. 

Nh i have a shady spot too and making plans for that. 

This weekend i have to get the peppers out and corn in if the 10 day looks warm enough. I think one of the corn boxes i'm gonna try the three sister mix in... mostly just as an excuse for more pumpkin and bean plants. 

The tomatoes are perking up now that i've left them be. this is my first year doing seeds and i think i moved them too much. My father in law recommended buying(saving) larger pots and skipping the small peat ones. no transplanting them up and gives them more space. 

the kids are getting excited because there are alot of green berries. Little farmer keeps asking when the farm fields will be open for picking(we have one less than a mile away and drive by it all the time) i'm hoping they don't ripen too fast and his big sis misses picking since school runs late. there's always bush berries that come in later. 

I just ordered more cucumber seeds, more dill, carrots, pumpkin and kale seeds.   Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

sdugas164

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/29/2015, 12:23 pm

I received my 1,000 Fortex pole bean seeds today! And 1/4 lb. daikon radish seeds, which turns out to be about 5,000. I am rich! RICH! I'm going to throw them on the bed and roll in them. LOL.

The daikon radish seeds are to break up hard ground, and to placehold when I am between plantings or not using a plot right away. There is a section of cleared land that is too hard to even dig in, I'm going to see if the daikons can get thru it. It's an experiment. They also suppress weeds and add fertility.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/29/2015, 1:04 pm

@NHGardener wrote:It's an experiment. They also suppress weeds and add fertility.

No kidding...I didn't know that.  The seed pods are delicious!  Use like radishes. Dandelion aerates the lawn.

Burdock root goes thru anything....even rocks.  And burdock is great for clearing the mind and helping decision making easier.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/29/2015, 3:31 pm

I didn't know radishes had seed pods! I've never grown them. Now I know where the seeds come from...

Here's a little info on daikons.

http://dirtsecrets.com/2015/03/daikon/

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/29/2015, 3:42 pm

Huh...that would explain why I'm having such at bumper crop of kale only at one end of this bed, the daikon were planted there last year.

This is great info, NHG!  Thanks for sharing it.  There's a Daikon thread, too, that would benefit from all this info.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/29/2015, 4:16 pm

A daikon thread? Wow! I should get around more. I tend to just stick to this thread.

I got interested in daikon radishes from reading Fukuoka's book The One Straw Revolution 
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/masanobu-fukuoka-one-straw-revolution-zmaz78jazbur.aspx 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/29/2015, 4:51 pm

Here's a tip about radishes.  If you are growing watermelon, cantaloupes then plant some radishes near the plants.  The pests go for the radishes instead of the good crop.  Just let them grow....and grow.  They get huge and ugly, but they do the job.
I tried it the years I had watermelon in the community garden.   My melons were lovely.

quiltbea

Female Posts : 4610

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener on 5/29/2015, 4:55 pm

Great idea, qb! I'm going to try that.

NHGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2015, 11:29 am

An update on the tomatoes I planted a week before Memorial Day, four of the five are flowering already. The one that is not flowering is brandy wine and I don't expect anything early from that. The tomatoes I planted on Memorial Day don't show any buds yet.

Oh, we're having gypsy moth caterpillar and all their poop, oak beards, pine pollen, all raining down on us at once, and mosquitoes dive bombing us.. I was using the leaf blower on the patios this morning, fighting mosquitoes and try not to breathe in all the pollen, and thought, hey that winter wasn't so bad. Then I thought, bite your tongue. Then I went indoors and leaf blew the house. Boy, was that a surprise!

Gotta get the pole bean trellis up today. They must be growing an inch or two a day! It's amazing!

Rain coming the beginning of next week. Is anybody as excited as I am?
alrighta
I'm going to plant out  pepper starts and the new maple tree tomorrow afternoon, and mow the lawn. I think I'll also broadcast hummingbird flower seed mix everywhere. What are you guys planting ahead of the rain? Anything?

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 5/30/2015, 1:25 pm

CC, your garden looks amazing.  My two overwintered crops did not do too well.  For the first time (in my three gardening years) my garlic did not germinate well.  I'd say I have a plant from less than half I planted.  I wonder why?  Also, I put in some spinach very late in the season.  Everyone said nothing would come of it.  I was surprised to see a ton of spinach growing.  Then I left it for a week to grow to actual eating size and when I returned, there were little black spots all over the many, many spinach leaves.  So I pulled all of the plants.  

That's as far as I've gotten this year.  I have, however, purchased four tomato starts that I want to plant today.  I am forced to plant in pots since I don't have sun anywhere else.  I can't recall if we're supposed to remove all of mels mix from last year and start fresh this year.  (Seems a waste but something in the back of my mind is saying I need to do that....)  I also recall someone saying to put baby aspirin down by the roots when I plant them.  One aspirin, a multitude?  Hmmm....can't recall specifically.

Is anyone inside reading today or is everyone outside planting?  It's a glorious day, a bit hot, but my allergies have my eyes on fire!

Thanks!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/30/2015, 1:55 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote: Then I went indoors and leaf blew the house. Boy, was that a surprise!

I thought I was the only one who used the leaf blower on the inside of the house.  After traipsing in and out of my house this spring, my hardwood floors were a mess.  Company was coming so I quickly used the leaf blower to blow all the stuff into a corner and sucked it up with a hand held vacuum.

yolos

Female Posts : 2785

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2015, 1:58 pm

Cpl, in the SFG squares were supposed to put one trowel full of compost directly into the MM between plantings. So I guess with a pot you would just add a trowel full of compost and mix it in. My pots are straight compost so I'm not sure. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

When I plant out my tomatoes I throw a baby aspirin into the hole. But I've never read anywhere to do that so its up to you. I do it in hopes of fighting early blight.  So far so good.
Very Happy

That is so funny, yolos! That's exactly what I did with the stuff that didn't blow out the door. I used my dust buster and vac'd it up. Then I turned the air filter on full blast and dusted up what had settled on the furniture. I think I like doing it this way better than vacuuming. I have blown out my car before but never the house. Works great in the car!

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 5/30/2015, 3:36 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Cpl, in the SFG squares were supposed to put one trowel full of compost directly into the MM between plantings. So I guess with a pot you would just add a trowel full of compost and mix it in. My pots are straight compost so I'm not sure. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

When I plant out my tomatoes I throw a baby aspirin into the hole. But I've never read anywhere to do that so its up to you. I do it in hopes of fighting early blight.  So far so good.
Very Happy
Thanks.  Somehow I had it in the back of my head that not changing out the 'soil' from year to year for tomatoes encourages diseases.  

I'm probably totally off base, though.

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/30/2015, 5:43 pm

Hooray for me, all my tomatoes are finally in.  The last ones, 1 each of Totem, Tiny Tim, and a Lizzano,  were potted today.  I even put the cages around the Determinates that I transplanted in the flower bed. 

Above: This is a Totem tomato in a pot beside my Thyme pot among my Irises, just starting to bloom.

In the greenhouse bed in my Back 40 (up that steep hill) I've got a tomato blossom already on one of my Totem.  I know that Totem is early and its small and I love having tomatoes early.

Above: I've got 8 mini-toms in this bed and so far 2 Cubanelle peppers but the rest of the 6 peppers will go in next week after the last (I hope) of our 40* nites.

Above:  The broccoli bed with the 2 Kale along the top and 3 Better Boy Tomatoes along the left side.   The one in the center is smaller because it was transplanted later than the other two.  Along the right are the Leopard Bane perennials.
I would be very happy if it wasn't that the birds have taken my new blueberries.  I've been babying those 5 bushes for 3 years now and was hoping for some good berries this year.  I didn't get the bird netting over them in time, boo hoo.  No fresh blues for me this year.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 5/30/2015, 6:07 pm

quiltbea, what is the size of that pot holding the tomato plant?  I never can figure out what is the minimum size for a tomato plant.

Your plants look great!  I am living vicariously through all of you!

Thanks!

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/30/2015, 6:53 pm

cpl100......According to the bottom, its a 12-inch pot.  I've used these for Determinates before and they didn't produce very well,  I think they needed bigger pots.  But they are fine for the patio types like I've got them in this year.
This year my Determinates are in the ground in my flower bed with cages.

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 5/30/2015, 7:21 pm

I have one patio type this year.  Do you think the regular sized tomatoes can go in one of those white, 5 gallon containers?

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/30/2015, 7:30 pm

Quilbea - looking good.  Glad your weather finally started to moderate.

yolos

Female Posts : 2785

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/30/2015, 10:01 pm

cpl100.....You can grow Determinate tomatoes just fine in 5-gallon buckets.  Watch this short video by Gary Pilarchik.  He grows lots of things in 5-gal. buckets....

quiltbea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 on 5/31/2015, 8:22 am

That is a very enlightening video.  Thanks!  He mentions the need for lime when using the buckets.  Do you folks think we need to add lime to our Mels mix when using pots for tomatoes?  Hadn't heard that in the past.

cpl100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/31/2015, 12:17 pm

@cpl100 wrote:That is a very enlightening video.  Thanks!  He mentions the need for lime when using the buckets.  Do you folks think we need to add lime to our Mels mix when using pots for tomatoes?  Hadn't heard that in the past.
Not typically. Limestone dust will take as long as 6 months to make any real difference in the pH of any growing medium.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13975

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum