Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:07 pm

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by sanderson Today at 4:18 pm

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Today at 3:22 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Today at 3:17 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by trolleydriver Today at 2:32 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:35 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:59 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by landarch Today at 11:49 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:39 am

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 10:45 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Today at 10:36 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by newbeone Today at 8:38 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» In between
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 8:59 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cape gooseberry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cape gooseberry

Post  chocolatepop on 5/7/2010, 1:18 pm

Anyone grow em before? Any tips or suggestions?

chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

View user profile http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Cape gooseberry

Post  LaFee on 5/7/2010, 4:09 pm

You might do a search on "physalis" -- that's what they're called in Europe, so there might be more information under that name, too.

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan on 5/7/2010, 6:17 pm

I found this when searching for information on tomatillos, which are related. http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mexican_husk_tomato.html

My biggest concern is how big they get, plus (per this article anyway) you need at least two for pollination. I don't think I have enough space for them. I'd love to hear about your adventures, though!

Megan

Female Posts : 3350

View user profile http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 5/8/2010, 4:15 am

I looked up 'physalis' for you on a French website, as the plants are sold lots of places here.

(*VERY roughly* translated from www.truffaut.com)

The scientific name is Physalis Edulis, and commonly called coqueret de Perou (Peru cherry) [note: they can say it's called coqueret de Perou all they want, but when I see them at the market or in the grocery, they're labeled Physalis!]

Also called "amour en cage" (caged love ) and "Japanese lantern", it's a vivacious plant that can reach a height of 0,80 metres (that's about 2 feet). The fruits are shaped like a large orange cherry, wrapped in a transparent membrane. A lush plant ideal for filling spaces.

They can be grown in a pot at least 30cm in diameter (we'll call it 12"). Pick fruits when they're very ripe.

Plant outside - ideal for planting in vegetable gardens. Suitable in all soils, in a very sunny place. Moderate water requirements.

The established plants are frequently planted outside (zone 7) in September and October.

Seeds can be sown in a heated, protected place in March and April.

Edible fruits

Harvest fruit in September and October. Add fertilizer in the spring, and cut the dry stalks after fruiting.

Transplant seedlings in May or June, 40cm apart (about 18")

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam on 5/8/2010, 4:51 am

Hi,
I never grew those (I don't think they will do well in our climate) but I have the non-edible variety in my garden, the ones with the bright orange "chinese lanterns". Once you've planted those, it's hard to keep them in place or ever get rid of them, so be warned

Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

View user profile http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 5/8/2010, 5:06 am

Mirjam, you're the same zone as I am...so they might grow. In a pot, you could even keep them under control (maybe)...

They're sold here in tiny little baskets -- no bigger than a pint berry basket...and they EXPENSIVE -- about US$5 for one of those tiny little baskets, even when they're in season.

I've never seen them used more than one or two at a time -- they're used as a garnish, with the outer membrane intact, opened in a bloom. They're very, very pretty as a garnish.

LaFee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam on 5/8/2010, 6:04 am

I love how they look as a decoration on buffets, but I didn't particularly like the taste of the fruits. I think when you grow the larger variety (which probably needs high temperatures ), you could actually DO something with them. fruits as big as 6 cm are more tomato-like, te ones we get here aren't bigger than small cherry tomatoes.
But I wasn't gonna grow them anyway, I try to stick to plants that don't need to much special care in our climate, so bell peppers are as exotic as it gets in my yard
Although I have planted a Siberian gooseberry (minikiwi), which is quite exotic, but winterhardy up to (or down to) -30 degrees celsius.... I hope it will do well, I have no idea when to expect it to produce anything though, as I only planted it this spring...

Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

View user profile http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Cape Gooseberry

Post  BertieFox on 5/10/2010, 4:26 am

I've grown both types, the 'peruviana' ones which is the ordinary one, and the ground cherries (pruinosa) which are smaller and tastier.
They start very slowly from seed but by the end of the season make large sprawling plants. If you can overwinter the peruviana and keep the roots frost free, they will start into growth again earlier and make larger plants with earlier crops.
Last year I grew them in the polytunnel and ended up with four or so huge plants which have self-seeded all over the greenhouse soil.
Although some friends thought they were delicious, I find them very insipid and strong tasting, and you wouldn't want to eat more than one or two off the plant. Perhaps as a jam or cooked dessert they are better. I notice how they are only used in restaurants as a decoration in desserts and salads.
Try them, but I think most people will find that there are far better fruits to grow with more taste and more uses, especially if you are short of space.

BertieFox

Male Posts : 27

View user profile http://www.loire-gites.eu

Back to top Go down

If You know a frost is comming?

Post  deeeeej on 10/25/2011, 6:40 pm

I live in the Ozark foot-hills. This is zone 7. I have about 40 plants that are all volunteers and full of fruit. The frost will be here in a day or two and the fruit is not ripe yet. Can I cut off the entire plant at ground level, pile them in the shed and let them continue to ripen? OR - If the frost gets them will it ruin the fruit and the leaves or just the leaves?

deeeeej

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 10/25/2011, 7:11 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This thread has been inactive for 1½ years. None of the posters have been active for quite some time.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to answer your question. I'm not familiar with the topic, sorry.

Last frost date (50%): April 15     First frost date (50%): Oct 15    
Zone: Irrelevant

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut on 10/26/2011, 1:56 pm

I have no personal experience....but a couple of internet sites say you can pick them before fully ripe and they will go on ripening indoors??? I've also ready to be careful because unripe fruits can be toxic to some people. Hopefully someone will chime in with personal experience....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/70014140/1/Cape-gooseberries
http://books.google.com/books?id=63lgm8NVhFIC&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=pick+cape+gooseberries+before+ripe&source=bl&ots=uQ14QWTwoB&sig=sgOHCMZqYklBXjXRqwbwbOASnv0&hl=en&ei=5keoTprfCIX_sQK5yO3XDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual on 10/27/2011, 6:16 am

@BertieFox wrote:If you can overwinter the peruviana and keep the roots frost free, they will start into growth again earlier and make larger plants with earlier crops.

That sounds like a challenge to me, I love perennials! I just hope I can transplant them to a permanent bed without killing them. Guess there's only one way to find out.

I have 4 Physalis peruviana growing up a trellis(they don't naturally do this, they have to be trained) and the fruit should ripen before my first frost since that's not for another month or so. I planted them using the fall tomato planting date for my area, and it seems to be working out. I would assume that a spring planting date coinciding with your tomato planting date would also work out.

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My experience with cape gooseberries

Post  SelenaMKI on 11/8/2011, 5:16 am

I have tried growing cape gooseberries from seeds I obtained at Thompson and Morgan (online) in containers without a lot of success. My failing was trying to grow several in one container. I think the spacing is more like one per either one or two square feet.

That said, this year I had several plants spring up around my yard (maybe from birds eating and distributing the seeds?) and discovered that they do much better directly in the ground with very little attention from me. The plants are quite large... I'll try to take a picture and post it here at a later date.

They are wonderfully delicious when ripe. I wanted to grow them because they are expensive and I have only been able to find them at Whole Foods.

cape gooseberry

SelenaMKI

Female Posts : 3

View user profile http://www.theseatedgardener.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi on 11/8/2011, 8:07 am

I'm very excited about the possibility of growing cape gooseberry in or out of my SFG. My goal is to provide a measurable percentage of my family's food by our own hands, and while we have LOADS of veggies, fruits are much harder to come by since we don't have the land required for fruit trees. Thanks all, for the research so far!

Mamachibi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum