Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash Arch

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squash Arch

Post  wegrow on 6/23/2015, 1:54 pm

Hello!

I am interested in constructing a squash arch, 18" wide, with pvc pipe and rungs made of same. Not a math wiz and can't seem to find out how long the two pieces of pvc needed will be to create a 6 foot tall peak.  Planning on having it cut in segments to attach intermittent cross pieces of pvc on which the squash will climb.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

wegrow

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squash Arch

Post  sanderson on 6/23/2015, 2:14 pm

Wegrow,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here

Interesting question.  I think it would be easier to use EMC or wood with nylon trellis attached with zip ties, or else an arch of cattle metal fencing.  There are a lot of trellis ideas on this site.  Use the search box for some neat ideas.  Of course, this is everyone's dream arch:

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/23/2015, 2:30 pm

Thanks for replying Sanderson.  What is EMC?  Am disabled and find it easy to use pvc like tinker toys with fittings.  Just having a brain freeze about length of pipe needed to make a 6' peak.  Perhaps just making four 4' uprights then arching 2 10 foot lengths over them will produce the desired height. Not sure since I'll have to have it all cut to attach the side pieces.  Wanted to do it this way in order to be able to take it apart at the end of season and have available for next year.  It's in my head, just putting on paper isn't coming out as imagined.  Sigh!

wegrow.......

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/23/2015, 2:48 pm

Electrical Metal Conduit.  Here are 2 EMC trellises.  Takes four 1/2" 10' poles, cut to 8 feet.  Using 2 of the cut off pieces, attach at the top bar with EM 90* fittings with set screw.  Home Depot 10' 1/2" poles are $2.30 each and the fittings are $4.62 each.  Trellis netting prices vary.  I "put them away" for winter by pushing the netting to the tops, bundling all the trellises together and covering with black garbage bags.  

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/23/2015, 3:41 pm

Wow, learn something new every day! That looks much easier than what I had in mind.  In the photo they have a stable cross piece to support them.  Without that do you think they would be able to lean on each other safely?  Thank you!

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/23/2015, 4:12 pm

Yes, if I understand your question correctly. "they have a stable cross piece" being the wood rails. Strap the horizontal top bars together and depress the feet into the ground. Another option for the feet is to buy 3/8" rebar in 1 or 2 foot lengths to pound into the ground at angles and slip the EMC over them.

The single trellis in the background? It goes straight up now so I strap it to the overhead wood rail.

Please Search 'trellis' and 'arch' in the search box. Have you read All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew? His book(s) is the backbone for most of our gardens on this Forum. There are so many ways to build things for a Square Foot Garden.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/23/2015, 5:57 pm

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  I have more ideas now to consider and won't be making it more difficult than it is.  No have not read it but will be buying a copy. 
Thank you!  Very Happy

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/24/2015, 3:00 am

Feel free to ask questions. I spent a lot of time looking at the Topics before and when I first joined the forum. So, so much info that sometimes it's hard to find, like not seeing the forest because of the trees. Very Happy

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/24/2015, 9:02 am

Thanks Sanderson, I surely will.  I've got MS and have not been able to garden on my own except in pots for quite a few years.  My daughter has moved back to help now we are gardening together in raised beds and I am getting to try things I've only thought about for a very long time, especially organic and without pesticides.  Looking all over Google is time consuming and not always what I'm looking for.  I appreciate having your forum to help.   Very Happy

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 6/24/2015, 9:52 am

Is there a a Tractor Supply store anywhere near you?  The absolute easiest arch is the cattle panel arch.  Four T posts in the ground and attach the cattle panel with zip ties. 

Here is one when I built a new rose garden.  The white climbing rose is now over the top.  I also use these for my tomatoes and cukes.  

It it may be a bit wide for your purposes as it is 5 ft wide, but it sure is super easy to install.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4310

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/24/2015, 10:44 am

Hi Wegrow.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.  Glad you've joined us!

I would also encourage you to look at Table Tops (TT's) so that you don't have to bend over so much.  That would be great for  your shorter crops like carrots, beets, herbs, etc.  If you're interested, just do a search for TT's or table tops.  You'll see all SORTS of great ideas!

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3778

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/24/2015, 1:20 pm

Thanks walshevac and AtlantaMarie,

I do have a Tractor Supply nearby and that looks easiest of all!  They only sell heavy gauge fencing in no less than 100 foot rolls so it will have to be budgeted in.  That seems to be the easiest so far and is something to plan for!

I have two raised beds.  One just above ground and another which is table top style which was built for me at the end of May and has been slow to get growing, only beets, basil, and marigolds so far.  Just replanted for late summer harvest.

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/24/2015, 1:52 pm

Hi wegrow, heavy fencing will work, and may be a good option for many trellises.  But for one or two trellises, consider 'cattle panels' that walshevak mentioned above.  TSC and other farm stores have them.  Less upfront costs that way.

Another option is 6x6 inch concrete re-inforcing wire.  Big box stores have them in smaller sizes, and concrete suppy stores have them in 8x20 foot panels that you can cut to size for your needs.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 6/24/2015, 2:06 pm

glad you\'re here wegrow happy hi 
from Kelejan :canada: 

Glad you are able to get back to doing some gardening and as you have already found, you get a lot of help from this group. cutesie

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4498

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 6/24/2015, 2:20 pm

To me the easy cheap country boy way is go to lowes and look in the concrete section ya can get rebar for cheap in many sizes and lengths.  They are sturdy and easy to push into the ground,  Right where they are ya can get 4 ft wide wire sections. ya can use zip ties to put them up but ya have to replace them yearly cause they get brittle and degrade.  Use stainless tie wire old coat hangers old scraps of copper wire as examples stuff ya have lying around to tie them up and it will last much longer.  I have a 6 ft trellis for cucs that has been there over 10 years and 3 hurricanes still going strong for less than 20$  I aint grown squash on them yet but wouldn't be afeared to.  Our squash seem to grow them selves and try to take over the yard. 

Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 522

View user profile http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 6/24/2015, 2:22 pm

Here is our trellis. It's made from concrete reinforcement wire like Boffer said. It's 7' tall. We bought two for $7 each. You could use t posts as recommended above for the side supports. We used rebar pounded into the soil, then elec. conduit over the rebar, and attached the concrete wire to the conduit. Was easy to build, and held a couple hundred pounds of squash last summer!!  Good luck!!  sorry it's sideways. Something's wrong with the forum picture thingy. Sometimes they're sideways, sometimes not!! lol

Last edited by boffer on 6/24/2015, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rotated picture)

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 6/24/2015, 2:57 pm

@Cajun Cappy wrote:... ya can use zip ties to put them up but ya have to replace them yearly cause they get brittle and degrade...

Black zip ties are UV stabilized and will outlast the white ones by a country mile, at least in my climate.

boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener on 6/24/2015, 4:20 pm

@southern gardener wrote:Here is our trellis. It's made from concrete reinforcement wire like Boffer said. It's 7' tall. We bought two for $7 each. You could use t posts as recommended above for the side supports. We used rebar pounded into the soil, then elec. conduit over the rebar, and attached the concrete wire to the conduit. Was easy to build, and held a couple hundred pounds of squash last summer!!  Good luck!!  sorry it's sideways. Something's wrong with the forum picture thingy. Sometimes they're sideways, sometimes not!! lol

Thank you for the rotate Boffer!! I rotated them on my computer, and they still come up sideways!!! haha!

southern gardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 6/24/2015, 4:40 pm

Cattle panels at Tractor Supply are about $20 each.  The size you see in the picture is the entire panel.  About 16 ft x 50 in.  also known as feedlot panels.  Be sure to get the bags of metal clips that come with it.  I used the clips when I had somebody to help me and zip ties when it was just me.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wegrow on 6/24/2015, 11:29 pm

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

Wow Cajun Cappy that is some good looking squash!

Southern Gardener, the picture came in right side up.  Great looking arches, great ideas! 

Kay, a friend said they might be known as hog panels here, I'll check.  I appreciate all the price range input. I'm sure I'll be doing whatever is easiest at this point.  It's been in the upper 90's here and I can't tolerate that kind of heat....!

Good tip on the zip ties Boffer, soaking it all in  I was thinking about using rebar instead of fence posts when I was still planning on sliding the pvc over it.  Have to rethink the whole thing now.

Thanks Kelejan, I'm glad to be back gardening again and helping my daughter learn what I do know as well as learning more myself! 

Hope I didn't forget anyone! Have a good night..... happy hi

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 6/25/2015, 7:37 pm

ttp://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&searchType=1000&cm_askwd=&autoSuggestURL=AutoSuggestView%3FcoreName%3DMC_10001_CatalogEntry_en_US%26serverURL%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252ftsc-prod-lb01.crossview.inc%253a3737%252fsolr%252fMC_10001_CatalogEntry_en_US%26catalogId%3D10051%26storeId%3D10151&searchTerm=cattle+panels

Note the difference in wire spacing at the bottom of the cattle and the hog panels.  cattle panel is $19.199 and hog panel is $22.99

Elizabeth City, NC

walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn on 6/25/2015, 8:22 pm

@boffer wrote:
@Cajun Cappy wrote:... ya can use zip ties to put them up but ya have to replace them yearly cause they get brittle and degrade...

Black zip ties are UV stabilized and will outlast the white ones by a country mile, at least in my climate.
 I have found that 14 gage solid copper wiring (not stranded) is the best tie for attaching trellis to posts.  I cut it to length and use it like a twist tie.  It doesn't rust and it doesn't fatigue from use.     You can get rolls of it at the big box hardware stores.

Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 205

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 6/26/2015, 10:35 am

I recently scored a long piece of solid strand rubber coated coper wire from the cable guy.  He was installing cable tv at the neighbors and the cable came with this strand on it.  He used the wire to tie the cable to a anchor bolt on the house then stripped off all the wire to run the cable along the house.  he had over 50 ft of this stuff he balled up and was throwing in the back of his truck.  When I inquired he said he was just gonna throw it in a recycle bin when he got back to his company shop.  For a couple big ripe ruby grapefruit I got the wire.  I haven't used much of it yet but plan to when I build another box.

Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Squash arch

Post  wegrow on 6/26/2015, 4:46 pm

Thanks Kay!  I checked with my local Tractor Supply store and they do have both hog and cattle panels.  Just need to get someone with a truck to pick one up for me.

Thanks Cappy and Mike, I use copper wire in jewelry, not sure if it's the right gauge for fastening but worth a shot! 

I appreciate all the input!

wegrow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 6/26/2015, 4:52 pm

I still say ya will be cheaper at a big box hardware like Lowes 9ft 1/2inch rebar is only 5 bucks and in the same area is cheap expanded wire.

Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum