Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 3:16 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie question - Lasagna Beds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie question - Lasagna Beds?

Post  Wyldflower on 5/7/2010, 8:51 pm

I've seen several people mention Lasagna Beds - but I don't quite "get it" ... is it a method for composting? Is it a particular way to arrange the soil in your SFG bed?

Please help me not feel like such a dummy! If it works, I want to know what to do and how to do it!

Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie question - Lasagna Beds?

Post  miinva on 5/7/2010, 9:13 pm

It's a gardening method and there's a book out about it. It's an interesting idea I've heard good things about, but it's easier to mix a few things in a wheelbarrow so I haven't tried it Smile

Lasagna Gardening

miinva

Female Posts : 778

View user profile http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/7/2010, 9:21 pm

Mother Earth News featured an article by the author of Lasagna Gardening I love Mother Earth News I love you

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post  Wyldflower on 5/7/2010, 10:08 pm

I read the article, and now it makes sense, what people have been talking about. It's not SFG, but I may use this method in some areas of my yard. I think I'll look for the book at the library... thanks for the reference, and for the link to the Mother Earth article!

Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown on 5/7/2010, 10:15 pm

Hi,
Lasagna gardening is an in place composting system. Instead of making your compost in a bin, you make it straight in your garden bed. To get a garden bed which is about 6-8 inched deep you need to pile stuff 24-30 inches high. Then wait. If you do not want to wait you can plant in the bed by adding a little compost to your plant hole. By the end of the season your garden will be at a more reasonable height and you plants will have happily sunk to a lower level. This is a very simple explanation of a good book. I have tried it and it did work, however I had a lot more weeds the first year I used the bed, the second year I used the bed was better and the plants were very happy. Lasagna gardening is a good budget choice as most of your materials can be gathered for free, (although I found it difficult to get enough stuff from my .44 acre lot.) Hope this helps. Happy gardening.

Patty in Yorktown

Patty from Yorktown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 5/7/2010, 10:18 pm

I've thought about trying it and comparing, I'm just too lazy to do it at this point! Smile

miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/8/2010, 9:07 am

I've used lasagna gardening with SFG for years and it works wonderfully. I'm doing an experiment this year comparing it to Mel's mix. And to the person who said it is not SFG, that is not exactly true. SFG is using a permanent grid and planting in one foot squares. I do that with my lasagna beds, so I am SFGing.

I like it because it is virtually free. I make a 4x8 bed with one sheet of plywood ripped in thirds, which makes it 16" high. It reduces to about 8" after a year and I change out the sides so I can reuse the plywood. When I have time I cover the newly made bed to let it "cook" for a couple of months, but this spring I planted immediately using a 1-2" topping of Mel's mix for seeding and a couple of handfuls of Mels mix in a hole for transplanting. So far the new beds are doing about the same as the Mel's mix beds. The two older beds have completely reduced and when I harvest the fall and winter veggies from them, I'll probably mix in fresher compost and perhaps some vermiculite, but haven't completely decided.

At any rate the combination of using found materials with SFG makes for a good combination in my mind.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 5/8/2010, 9:33 am

Belfry, have you any photos of your lasagna beds? I'm having trouble envisioning what you are describing. :suspect: It may be I need more coffee this morning What a Face

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/8/2010, 3:35 pm

Sure I do -- the first was layered last October and you'll see that it has reduced by about half. I've never had Egyptian onions or garlic get so large. The second I layered in about a month old -- started out about 2" higher than the boards but has reduced already. As you can see the plants love the stuff. But also remember I used Mel's mix in the planting holes to give them a good start. These are SFG beds but when I plant an entire bed like these, I move the grid to another one.

I used alternating layers of spoiled hay, shredded leaves, green grass clippings, sawdust, poultry litter, (3 layers of each) and topped it off with 2-3" of peat moss/sawdust/compost mix. After I found out about Mel's mix, I used that to plant in. After I harvest these two beds I will remove the chip board/plywood and either put 2x8s around them or brick them for permanent beds. Some I have dismantled and used the resulting compost elsewhere.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v on 5/8/2010, 4:01 pm

Belfry, I love this thought concept too, Lasagna gardening. I like how we can use all resources to get the desired result "produce" from our garden Smile Love the pics of your garden as well, I saw them in another thread. Its a nice place to watch things grow Smile
Ha-v-v

Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 5/8/2010, 7:01 pm

Your plants surely like the soil! Smile Today we made a couple of batches of Mel's Mix and filled some small wooden boxes I'm planning to grow salad mix in. I'm hoping for baby salad year round! The thought of baby salad mix with some of the cherry tomatoes I have planted (6 different kinds!) makes my mouth water Very Happy

miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum