Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:35 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:01 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» CarbSmart (tm) Potatoes
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:41 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:42 am

» California's Drought
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:51 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 12/14/2017, 10:42 pm

» Areogardening
by brianj555 12/14/2017, 9:42 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Robbomb116 12/14/2017, 4:03 pm

» Air Fryer! HELP!
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 1:40 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/14/2017, 11:01 am

» New England December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/14/2017, 6:32 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/13/2017, 7:43 pm

» jalapeno variety question?
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 6:03 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by brianj555 12/13/2017, 5:28 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:04 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by AtlantaMarie 12/13/2017, 8:24 am

» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by sanderson 12/13/2017, 3:15 am

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco 12/12/2017, 9:10 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/12/2017, 2:29 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco 12/12/2017, 1:15 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 12/11/2017, 6:39 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals 12/11/2017, 11:44 am

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  NinjaKitty on 7/24/2015, 9:49 pm

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on this site and I think I've come across the right place.  I started SFG a couple of months ago & had beautiful pepper plants (jalepeno & bell).  Now...they've taken a liking to the color yellow and leaves are falling off.   affraid

Could this be too little sun, too little water, too little of something no?  Any suggestions?

Note:  I tried to upload a few pics to help explain but being that I just joined today I can't upload photo links for the first 7 days.    No
avatar
NinjaKitty

Female Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-07-24
Age : 37
Location : Central Florida - Zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  littlejo on 7/24/2015, 10:38 pm

Welcome!
I doubt it is too little sun. Water should not cause leaves yellowing. Mine are very pretty and get only filtered sun thru tree leaves.

Sounds like it could be a blight, but, don't know what kind affects peppers? Anybody?

Other than that, could be a nutrient problem. I would get a fungicide for peppers, mix, then get some liquid fertilizer, mix about 1/2 strength, and spray peppers. See if this helps.
Jo
avatar
littlejo

Female Posts : 1541
Join date : 2011-05-04
Age : 64
Location : Cottageville SC 8b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  boffer on 7/25/2015, 12:16 am

Welcome to the forum.  Pictures are helpful when trying to diagnose problems.

You're correct that you can't post external links for 7 days.  However, you are allowed to upload pictures from your computer.

You can find instructions here:

Text and pictures instructions

Video instructions
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  sanderson on 7/25/2015, 2:29 am

Ninjakitty, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Yes, please post photos. This is my wild guess. If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning. The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box. Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15080
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  NinjaKitty on 7/25/2015, 9:21 am

@boffer wrote:Welcome to the forum.  Pictures are helpful when trying to diagnose problems.

You're correct that you can't post external links for 7 days.  However, you are allowed to upload pictures from your computer.

You can find instructions here:

Text and pictures instructions

Video instructions

Thank you boffer, for the instructions.  I will check it out and see if I can get this to work.  Smile








http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/19/28/03/20/20150710.jpg
avatar
NinjaKitty

Female Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-07-24
Age : 37
Location : Central Florida - Zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  NinjaKitty on 7/25/2015, 9:31 am

@sanderson wrote:Ninjakitty,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  Yes, please post photos.  This is my wild guess.  If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning.  The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box.  Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Thank you, sanderson!  I'm really happy to have found this site and look forward to learning a lot and meeting people who understand my insanity, I mean love, for gardening.   


I have some cucumbers too that are a bit yellow in the same bed so that may help too.  They are in the upper right hand corner of the 1st pic of the entire SFG.


It does rain here almost every day in mid-summer.....










avatar
NinjaKitty

Female Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-07-24
Age : 37
Location : Central Florida - Zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  camprn on 7/25/2015, 10:30 am

@NinjaKitty wrote:
@sanderson wrote:Ninjakitty,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  Yes, please post photos.  This is my wild guess.  If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning.  The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box.  Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Thank you, sanderson!  I'm really happy to have found this site and look forward to learning a lot and meeting people who understand my insanity, I mean love, for gardening.   


I have some cucumbers too that are a bit yellow in the same bed so that may help too.  They are in the upper right hand corner of the 1st pic of the entire SFG.


It does rain here almost every day in mid-summer.....











So to address the immediate troubles you need to free (fertilize) your plants in the garden. No sense in continuing to let the plants struggle.  Garden - tone is a very good all around product and I use it at times. Read and follow the label directions. You may also get desirable results if you top dress the garden bed with good quality compost. Peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants are very heavy feeders.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/25/2015, 11:30 am

Welcome, ninjakitty! I had basil in a container that looked like that, it needed nitrogen and drainage. I transplanted it into good new Mel's Mix, and gave it some breathing room in the root area and it has rebounded nicely.

You have come to the right place, great advice here! glad you\'re here
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5527
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  sanderson on 7/25/2015, 11:46 am

Ninja, Glad you were able to post the photos. I'm with the others on feeding or top dressing at this time. The rain may have washed the available nutrients right out. Compost is a slow release way to feed plants and I'm thinking the rain just washed what ever was released right out. I couldn't find the Garden Tone that Camp recommended but I did find some Espoma natural fertilizer to help my tomatoes this summer. Then top dressed with new homemade compost a couple weeks later.

It seems that new Mel's Mix becomes better over time as you add more replenishing compost. Sort of like different layers of time-released nutrients.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15080
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/25/2015, 11:50 am

My peppers look like that too. I sprinkled some worm castings around them and they started growing again but they didn't darken. I'm heading out today with compost and maybe a little Neptune.

Sanderson, I'm not familiar with Garden Tone either. Maybe camp meant Plant Tone?
If not, camp, where did you get your Garden Tone?
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  boffer on 7/25/2015, 12:05 pm

CC, they're products produced by Espoma.

http://www.espoma.com/products/organic-plant-foods/

There's a source locator here

http://www.espoma.com/where-to-buy/
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/25/2015, 12:13 pm

Ha! Look at that. Garden tone is for veggie gardens! I've never seen that one before. Thanks buffer. Dang voice feature. Will it ever learn?
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  camprn on 7/25/2015, 1:17 pm

Ugh! My previous post should have said FEED the plants. Rolling Eyes

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  yolos on 7/25/2015, 2:27 pm

My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3307
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  boffer on 7/25/2015, 2:35 pm

Yolos, do your peppers slow down in the same heat that makes tomatoes slow down?

I'm just curious, as this year is the first that it's been hot enough, long enough, for me to see my tomato plants stagnate.  But my peppers don't seem to be slowing down at all.
avatar
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 64
Location : yelm, wa, usa

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  yolos on 7/25/2015, 2:41 pm

@boffer wrote:Yolos, do your peppers slow down in the same heat that makes tomatoes slow down?

I'm just curious, as this year is the first that it's been hot enough, long enough, for me to see my tomato plants stagnate.  But my peppers don't seem to be slowing down at all.

Believe it or not, this is the first year I have ever grown peppers so I have nothing to compare it to.  Also, it is not just that they don't have flowers or fruit, the more concerning problem to me is the yellowing of the leaves that is why I am going to hit them with the fertilizer.  But I will say, I have almost no flowers at the moment on my tomatoes except the grape tomato - Juliet.  They are mostly dying from disease so I am on the point of removing almost all tomatoes.  My plan this weekend was to remove the veggies that have stopped producing but I decided to take the day off today and just veg out.  Maybe tomorrow.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3307
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  camprn on 7/25/2015, 3:04 pm

My peppers and aubergine take off like crazy in the heat.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  yolos on 7/25/2015, 3:23 pm

Thanks for that info camprn, but what temperature is your "heat".  Would they still take off in 95 degree heat?  My aubergine and peppers are just sitting there doing nothing.  I am ready to pull them or cut them back and add some fertilizer.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3307
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  Marc Iverson on 7/25/2015, 3:55 pm

Unfortunately, yellow is the color of virtually every problem.

Adding more compost is a great cure-all, especially if it's the really good home-made stuff. So many bagged composts I see have such high peat or wood levels in them that they hardly qualify as compost, and the ones with a lot of wood in them make me think they may actually take nitrogen from the soil rather than add it. They'd be better to use as mulch than as a growing medium or nutritional supplement.

Regarding short periods in which plants don't produce as much fruit, this doesn't bother me and happens with virtually every plant I have. Peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, all seem to go through what I imagine as some sort of breather or consolidation period before coming out with a fresh burst of fruit or greenery, especially when the weather changes -- more rain, hotter days, cooler nights, -- or when heavily pruned or picked, what have you. There's always something, and the plants are always struggling to one degree or another to adapt to their ever-changing circumstances.

The longer we leave ripe fruits on a plant, too, the more likely many plants are to slow the production of new fruits. I don't know how long people are leaving their ripe fruits on their plants, but some are supposed to be especially sensitive to that. I haven't seen it make much difference with cherry tomatoes, which are so absurdly productive anyway, but people growing beans and peas are commonly warned to not leave mature fruits on the plants.

avatar
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 56
Location : SW Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  CapeCoddess on 7/25/2015, 3:59 pm

@yolos wrote:My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.

yolos, I'm thinking about doing different things to different pepper plants and see which works best.  Plant A will get compost, plant B will get Neptune, plant C will get both, plant D may get some Espoma - jury's still out on that one - and plant E will get urine.  That's IF I can find 5 plants that look about the same.  There are 12 out there so it shouldn't be too hard.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6509
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  yolos on 7/25/2015, 5:56 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@yolos wrote:My peppers look like that also.  Last weekend I bought some Garden-Tone but I have not applied it yet.  If I remember correctly, it is organic and therefore may take some time to make a difference.  I also have some liquid Neptune which should be fairly fast acting so I will put some of that on as well as the Garden-Tone and some compost.  Maybe this is too much but what the heck.  The peppers are just sitting there and have stopped flowering and producing fruits.  I had planned to pull them this weekend but I think I will experiment with giving them a big dose of nutrients.

yolos, I'm thinking about doing different things to different pepper plants and see which works best.  Plant A will get compost, plant B will get Neptune, plant C will get both, plant D may get some Espoma - jury's still out on that one - and plant E will get urine.  That's IF I can find 5 plants that look about the same.  There are 12 out there so it shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, let me know how the experiment works.  I would like to try that but my 4 peppers are in a 2 x 2 and roots are probably growing all throughout the box and the experiment wouldn't work.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3307
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  NinjaKitty on 8/19/2015, 8:16 pm

Hello everyone!  Thank you to all those that gave me tips and suggestions for my yellowing pepper plants.  I've been offline for a few weeks but diligently working on my garden(s).  


I took the recommendation from camprn & bought some Garden-Tone.  In the process I found a hidden gem just a few miles from my home that I didn't even know existed!  It's a really cool nursery and they carry all kinds of "Tone" fertilizers/products.  Palm-Tone, this tone that tone.  LOL  The lady that I bought it from is a Master Gardener with the Extension service for the county (which I hadn't heard about before) and she is also a bee keeper and loves her bugs!!!  I learned all about the life of a digger bee while I was there chatting with her for almost an hour.  I love places like that.   


So, I put the Garden-Tone down on a Sunday and by Wednesday I was starting to see a difference.  I ended up removing most of the yellowing leaves that were on their way out.  Now, they are recovering and reviving themselves with new leaves and they are green!   cheers


I have these two pictures and will take a few more in the morning of the entire bed.  It's getting dark and been raining here all evening.  





 



@camprn wrote:
@NinjaKitty wrote:
@sanderson wrote:Ninjakitty,  Welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  Yes, please post photos.  This is my wild guess.  If you get a lot of rain and the Mel's Mix is soggy, they may be drowning.  The solution would be to provide a rain protection from the box.  Photos can help others help provide possible diagnoses.

Thank you, sanderson!  I'm really happy to have found this site and look forward to learning a lot and meeting people who understand my insanity, I mean love, for gardening.   


I have some cucumbers too that are a bit yellow in the same bed so that may help too.  They are in the upper right hand corner of the 1st pic of the entire SFG.


It does rain here almost every day in mid-summer.....











So to address the immediate troubles you need to free (fertilize) your plants in the garden. No sense in continuing to let the plants struggle.  Garden - tone is a very good all around product and I use it at times. Read and follow the label directions. You may also get desirable results if you top dress the garden bed with good quality compost. Peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants are very heavy feeders.
avatar
NinjaKitty

Female Posts : 5
Join date : 2015-07-24
Age : 37
Location : Central Florida - Zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  camprn on 8/19/2015, 10:31 pm

HOORAY! cheers

And good job making an excellent connection.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 55
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  sanderson on 8/20/2015, 3:03 am

Great turn-around on those plants!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15080
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/20/2015, 7:41 am

Success! sunny
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5527
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! Pepper plants...so sad & yellow. Any suggestions?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum