Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canning question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canning question

Post  johnp on 8/9/2015, 10:04 am

Starting the first canning of my hot dills today. Have a question on my procedure that I never heard anyone else use. I wash or dishwash my jars and set them out to dry. Then I put all the jars I am going to use right side up on a cookie sheet and stick them in a cold oven then turn the oven on to 225 degrees. Then I just pull one jar out as I fill. This saves a burner and space and I don't think it compromises any safety issues. Any comments please.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Canning question

Post  camprn on 8/9/2015, 10:19 am

I just heat the jars in the hot water of the canner.

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/9/2015, 1:40 pm

I've done both.  I found that putting them in the canner water works for me.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3775

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 8/9/2015, 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I did it my regular way but now wish I would have used the canner. Made 8 qts. of hot dills. One jar blew a hole in the glass, never had that happen before. They say to always check your jars as there must have a crack or a chip or something. It blew a hole in the lower corner about the size of a nickel. If I would have used the canner maybe it would have become apparent.

johnp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 on 8/9/2015, 4:54 pm

johnp wrote:Starting the first canning of my hot dills today. Have a question on my procedure that I never heard anyone else use. I wash or dishwash my jars and set them out to dry. Then I put all the jars I am going to use right side up on a cookie sheet and stick them in a cold oven then turn the oven on to 225 degrees. Then I just pull one jar out as I fill. This saves a burner and space and I don't think it compromises any safety issues. Any comments please.

l
How do you make pickles

floyd1440

Male Posts : 795

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 8/9/2015, 7:55 pm

johnp wrote:Thanks for the info. I did it my regular way but now wish I would have used the canner. Made 8 qts. of hot dills. One jar blew a hole in the glass, never had that happen before. They say to always check your jars as there must have a crack or a chip or something. It blew a hole in the lower corner about the size of a nickel. If I would have used the canner maybe it would have become apparent.
OK, I'm confused. Are you processing the canned food in the oven? Or in a water bath canner? Are you doing a cold pack of cucumbers?

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 8/10/2015, 6:01 am

johnp wrote:Starting the first canning of my hot dills today. Have a question on my procedure that I never heard anyone else use. I wash or dishwash my jars and set them out to dry. Then I put all the jars I am going to use right side up on a cookie sheet and stick them in a cold oven then turn the oven on to 225 degrees. Then I just pull one jar out as I fill. This saves a burner and space and I don't think it compromises any safety issues. Any comments please.

For jars & glass lids I have purchased as new from a wholesaler :-
For pressure canning & hot water bath preserving I use the jars still very hot , as they have been washed upside down they have drained out totally dry after me  after putting them through the dish washer on a very hot wash & rinse  cycle this is because there has never been any food in them .
 So long as you fill all the jars quickly in a short time I don't think there will be any problems of bacterial propagation in the hot water bat preserving of the normal  hot fill foodstuffs .
 I do drop the seal rings in a large pan of water that has just come off the boil and heat back to " beading"  on low for about three min  to soften the seals .

Cold filling of jars & using the hot water bath preserving method to preserve the contents will see me do a proper high pressure canner sterilizing session of the jars and lids, then setting them upside down on a clean towel to drain & dry.
This is done no matter where they have come from as after lots of reading up on canning in both forms , I don't think that the dishwasher cleaning temps are sufficient to kill off all the bacteria on the glass that may survive a cold fill hot water bath preserving method .

If I've been fortunate & have been given pre used jars, I boil them & the glass lids  ( I use WECK jars) in the pressure canner for six min under pressure to thoroughly sterilize the jars .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 8/10/2015, 7:22 am

Sorry about the confusion, I ,process in a water bath for 25 min. Fifteen is called for plus 10 min. for altitude. I just store the cleaned jars in the 225 degree oven to stay sterile.

johnp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate on 8/11/2015, 12:50 am

This is pretty close to what I do, but I just set them on the oven rack sideways.  I used to use the canner to heat the jars, but I got tired of juggling unfilled jars and filled ones that were occupying the same space.  Using the oven to prepare your jars gets them out of the way when you're filling your canner.

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum