Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals Today at 5:47 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 5:45 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie Today at 3:37 pm

» Baker Creek's Seed Bank Store in Petaluma, CA
by trolleydriver Today at 2:46 pm

» Food Dehydrators
by sanderson Today at 1:21 pm

» 2017 Burpee seeds are already on display at HD
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Green Ice Leaf Lettuce
by MrBooker Today at 4:46 am

» New England January 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Gardening Australia
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:05 pm

» New Forum Feature
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:56 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by yolos Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Hi from Acworth GA
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 9:40 pm

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Making Smoothies
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:05 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by has55 Yesterday at 3:32 am

» heirloom seed companies around a lot of the world
by ralitaco 1/18/2017, 10:58 pm

» What about ink on newspaper and cardboard for mulch?
by Scorpio Rising 1/18/2017, 9:23 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan 1/18/2017, 7:20 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 1/18/2017, 10:22 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 1/18/2017, 9:23 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco 1/17/2017, 11:23 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:49 pm

» Anyone want walking onions??
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:22 pm

» How much to plant?
by trolleydriver 1/17/2017, 2:48 pm

» January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 2:22 pm

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 2:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 1:49 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by CapeCoddess 1/17/2017, 1:23 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries in TT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strawberries in TT

Post  greatgranny on 9/27/2015, 6:17 pm

I finally got the TTs put together and am going to start adding the MM.  I have a bed of strawberries that I would like to transplant - (the newest runners)  I am in zone 4.  Would it get too cold for strawberries to over winter in a TT?

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  yolos on 9/27/2015, 7:59 pm

I remember Llama Mamma having a problem with strawberries in TT's.  Hope she comes along to help you out or send her a PM.

yolos

Female Posts : 2906
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  greatgranny on 9/27/2015, 9:12 pm

@yolos wrote:I remember Llama Mamma having a problem with strawberries in TT's.  Hope she comes along to help you out or send her a PM.
Thanks.  I will see if she replies.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  llama momma on 9/27/2015, 9:28 pm

@greatgranny wrote:
@yolos wrote:I remember Llama Mamma having a problem with strawberries in TT's.  Hope she comes along to help you out or send her a PM.
Thanks.  I will see if she replies.


Hi Greatgranny
Yolos memory is correct.  My 4ft by 4ft  TT sat on cinder blocks.  Even down here in Ohio it was too cold and all 64 plants died.  Luckily during the summer I re planted runners in a ground box.  The strawberries have done well and multiplied tremendously.  It seems the ground box provides much better insulation and protection of the plants and roots.  Didn't matter how deep the snow was.  I've read that snow insulates which really doesn't make sense to me but seeing is believing.  I would say last winter was also bitter cold and the plants did great with a nice thick leaf mulch tucked in and around the plants.  I will never put a perennial or biennial plant in a table top again.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4677
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  greatgranny on 9/27/2015, 10:08 pm

@llama momma wrote:
@greatgranny wrote:
@yolos wrote:I remember Llama Mamma having a problem with strawberries in TT's.  Hope she comes along to help you out or send her a PM.
Thanks.  I will see if she replies.


Hi Greatgranny
Yolos memory is correct.  My 4ft by 4ft  TT sat on cinder blocks.  Even down here in Ohio it was too cold and all 64 plants died.  Luckily during the summer I re planted runners in a ground box.  The strawberries have done well and multiplied tremendously.  It seems the ground box provides much better insulation and protection of the plants and roots.  Didn't matter how deep the snow was.  I've read that snow insulates which really doesn't make sense to me but seeing is believing.  I would say last winter was also bitter cold and the plants did great with a nice thick leaf mulch tucked in and around the plants.  I will never put a perennial or biennial plant in a table top again.
Thanks so much for your reply.  So, I will use the TTs for annuals.  So, no garlic, onions or strawberries in my TTs.  (unless I plant the garlic and onions in the spring)  Think I will still get the TTs ready for the spring since I have to delete some old boxes.

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  llama momma on 9/27/2015, 11:37 pm

You're welcome and best wishes.

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4677
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 9/29/2015, 12:10 pm

That's a problem I can't wrap my little "California brain" around, LOL!  Our strawberries do awesome in the table top but then, the lowest we get in a really cold year is low 20s.  Good to know for future reference when asked about it.  Thanks, llamamama Very Happy

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Posts : 1877
Join date : 2012-12-07
Location : Central Calif Mtns.

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  llama momma on 9/29/2015, 12:39 pm

AJR--

llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4677
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strawberries in TT

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:04 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum