Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter Growing

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter Growing

Post  yolos on 10/16/2015, 10:18 am

I found a great website talking about growing in the fall and winter.  This particular link shows the veggie varieties to grow in winter under row cover.  I don't know if this blogger knows what she is talking about but it sounds good and she gives links to other websites that also talk about winter growing.  Here is a sample.  There is a tab titled "Winter Growing" that has a lot of different articles.  Including what type of row cover she uses or recommends.
http://www.motherofahubbard.com/10-vegetables-more-cold-hardy-than-kale/

Here is the home page for Mother of a Hubbard
http://www.motherofahubbard.com/

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter Growing

Post  sanderson on 10/16/2015, 3:10 pm

Thanks, Yolos. Nice article.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12272

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/17/2015, 12:11 am

Interesting article. I've been wondering about collards, since I've read such good things about them fairly recently. I got a packet of seeds somewhere, but then read they should be planted in spring. Dunno whether I should just pick up with them next year.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/17/2015, 12:50 pm

I just saw that myself, yolos! Great article, and good advice about cover and varieties that do well. I will do better next year, just learning!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3793

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/17/2015, 1:09 pm

I like this chart.  It is from the website Mother of a Hubbard linked above.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/17/2015, 2:54 pm

Me too! Thanks!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn on 10/18/2015, 6:13 pm

@Marc Iverson wrote:Interesting article. I've been wondering about collards, since I've read such good things about them fairly recently.  I got a packet of seeds somewhere, but then read they should be planted in spring.   Dunno whether I should just pick up with them next year.
I've learned that collards are best as a fall planting.  Frost is supposed to sweeten them.  I purchased transplants in early September.  Here is how they look now, after one night of frost.

Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 205

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/18/2015, 8:28 pm

They look nice, Mike! I cleaned my whole SFG out today with the exception of some Swiss chard...hope it makes it tonight, supposed to be upper 20s.

Collards are the new kale, according to some online sources! Funny, cheap peasant food is actually the good stuff! Beans, greens, and home grown!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/18/2015, 11:46 pm

They look really healthy, Mikesgardn. I'm going to have to experiment with them soon, but I guess it's too late this year. I wish our local nurseries had them; I'd just go by a four-pack.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 10/19/2015, 9:50 am

Mikesgardn. Impressive. Almost makes me want to cry. It's a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/19/2015, 9:54 am

I like the chart, haven't read the article yet. I have not followed the article in the past, so have planted too much in the past! Jo

I always overwinter these plants, of course, we don't have as many days straight of freezing weather or snow.

beets-tops die down but beets are sweet and tops grow back
carrots
collards-sweeter after a freeze
mustard-not as hot in cold weather
onions
garlic
rutabaga
spinach
turnips
parsnips
radishes
peas- these are planted in Jan. they will come up thru ice and snow. Our coldest months are Jan and Feb.

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 10/19/2015, 9:57 am

Mache and claytonia can be germinated in temps between 40-70 degrees. Swiss chard-"verde de Taglio" can handle temps at 15 degrees. It not to late for some of us. I'm still to hot in Texas to plant it.

10 Vegetables More Cold-Hardy than Kale

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/19/2015, 10:00 am

Zone 5  Western Pennsylvania.
I think I may have learned a few things about fall / winter gardening during the past 2 years.
Last year seeded broccoli, kohlrabi, romaine, as I would have in spring. Placed them in rolling stands that I was able to move into and out of the sun. They came up nicely because I was able to care for them daily.
However due to my tree rot infestation nothing did well before I elevated  all of my beds.

This season I by passed the preliminary and seeded directly into squares. It seems to me the plants needed an earlier beginning because their not doing well.
This morning we took a frost hit..sugar peas I think are done, I was under the impression they could take a frost...LOL...

Anyway, next fall I am planting early in cups, then going to try to gauge planting more suited to our  weather, however as in the past a heavy frost comes along, then warm for a good while.

Everything under my covered bed did nicely in 26 degree temps. All in all I like having a covered bed all season, maybe I''ll have another next year.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/19/2015, 10:30 am

@littlejo wrote:I like the chart, haven't read the article yet. I have not followed the article in the past, so have planted too much in the past! Jo

peas- these are planted in Jan. they will come up thru ice and snow. Our coldest months are Jan and Feb.
Littlejo - do you know what variety of peas you plant in Jan.  I am looking for a variety that can tolerate cold so I can plant them earlier so they can ripen before it gets too hot.  So far my best performer has been Alaska (English pea).

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo on 10/19/2015, 10:59 am

I usually plant whatever seed I have on hand. Snow peas, that's what the ones are called that you put in stir fry dishes, I planted the yellow podded ones one yr, didn't care for them. It's great to be eating peas while other folks are just planting!

littlejo

Female Posts : 1528

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 10/19/2015, 7:11 pm

jimmy, i like your cart/tray set up. easy to use.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/19/2015, 10:15 pm

@has55 wrote:jimmy, i like your cart/tray set up. easy to use.
Very easy to use, I have wheels on them which allows movement in and out of the morning sun in summer. Rack cost $70.00, wheels $25. Same rack I use for spring seeding...just move it in and out of the basement.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/20/2015, 12:52 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:Zone 5  Western Pennsylvania...
This season I by passed the preliminary and seeded directly into squares. It seems to me the plants needed an earlier beginning because their not doing well.

Anyway, next fall I am planting early in cups, then going to try to gauge planting more suited to our  weather, however as in the past a heavy frost comes along, then warm for a good while.

Jimmy, I start the greens in spring and they continue on into the winter. Maybe you could do that, too? Or do they bolt?

Still going, although the wind this time of year is blowing them like crazy...

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/20/2015, 8:26 pm

OK, CC & Jimmy, what exactly needs the indoors start? I havent' started seeds indoors in over 15 years. And I would need a grow light, etc. I used to do tomatoes and peppers, before nurseries got onto the heirloom bandwagon.

HELP! Greens? When? February is when I used to do the tomatoes/peppers....

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/20/2015, 10:37 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:OK, CC & Jimmy, what exactly needs the indoors start?  I havent' started seeds indoors in over 15 years.  And I would need a grow light, etc.  I used to do tomatoes and peppers, before nurseries got onto the heirloom bandwagon.  

HELP!  Greens?  When?  February is when I used to do the tomatoes/peppers....
Starting my spring seeds is dependent on my wifes desire for trips. It varies from year to year, sometimes I leave them to care for themselves... Sad
I start all the common plants in my basement, 2 years with good success. kohlrabi and romaine are probably  2 different plants, maybe ?
As far as grow lights, I use plain old daylights and they do nicely for me....no need to buy lights already made up if your a little handy...I made some, so they can't be that hard to do. Went from 12s to 8s they do great.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/21/2015, 3:41 am

Jimmy,  of all the things in the world, electricity is the one thing I don't understand nor want to attempt.  You and some of the other folks on the Forum are so multi-talented.  My sophisticated set up Feb of 2014 when the lights were a little high.  Razz  
This is the PVC set up (but back when I only had one row of lights).

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12272

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/21/2015, 7:49 am

Yeah, me not so handy...esp. with electric things! OK, so do you guys start everything from seeds like that? Or just the stuff that loves heat (tomatoes, peppers, romaine, basil) What do you direct sow? I only did tomatoes, peppers, basil transplants, eveything else was direct sow seeds (squash, beans, carrots, Swiss chard, beets, potatoes, radishes).

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/21/2015, 8:22 am

Sanderson, I truthful don't consider myself talented at all. In my younger days I would stand on a rubber mat using rubber gloves just to change a lightbulb...LOL..
Anyone who can read, have the determination to do something has the ability if necessity is there.
Basic electricity is extremely simple once you get past the fundamentals. Being scared as I was is the issue.
I probably would feel the same way had I not had a great career in a electrical generating station, it was not only electrical, but many other trades.
I considered myself fortunate in that I worked with 300+ people from all walks of life that put together knew just about everything there was to know.
Electricity, isn't anything to mess with. I know enough to get me into trouble, just been lucky so far....

Look at your pictures, you have skills of organization, cleanliness, and many others I bet.
Being here on this forum has taught me so much that if I had to live my life over, I believe I would go into agriculture, it is soooo interesting, the whole scope of it.
And please...LOL....do not forget, I've only been at this for 3 seasons
I'm ready to turn 80, so give me about 15 to 20 years and I may be able to explain much more...

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/21/2015, 8:32 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Yeah, me not so handy...esp. with electric things!  OK, so do you guys start everything from seeds like that?  Or just the stuff that loves heat (tomatoes, peppers, romaine, basil)  What do you direct sow?  I only did tomatoes, peppers, basil transplants, eveything else was direct sow seeds (squash, beans, carrots, Swiss chard, beets, potatoes, radishes).
Hi Scorpio
I'll start everyone of my warm weather seeds inside, sometimes late, sometimes early..if they don't succeed, I'll buy them at the nursery's.
Kohlrabi has become my favorite, mainly because I think it's an exotic plant just by it's formation.
Everything seems to do well though, I just try to think...if I was a young plant what would I want???.
Most of the times it works, sometimes though not.
I love experimenting with plants, however when they don't do well  and need to wait for the next season, that's the pits.
Seed books has lots of info, I enjoy reading, but fall asleep a lot when I do...
One thing I must say though, this SFG has put alot of spice into my life which I am very pleased with...

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/21/2015, 8:52 am

My spring seeding is done in a SE-facing window in our dining room area.  Nothing fancy - just repurposed containers to hold either peat cups or solo/yogurt/whatever cups once they outgrow the peat.  DH bought me a couple of small shelving units that sit on the desk we have there.  

I'm going to try spinach, lettuce & carrots inside this winter to see how they do.  I'll be using ice cream & butter buckets for that.  Still sitting in that window.

DH had said something last year about building me a seed-starting shelving unit on wheels with grow lights that would stay in the garage...  Hasn't happened yet and I'm not sure if we have the room anyway, lol!

I follow the package directions.  If it says "direct sow," that's what I do.  If it says "either," I'll usually start inside.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3775

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: