Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sprouted Onion Question
by No_Such_Reality Today at 7:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 6:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 6:21 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 6:11 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 6:07 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 6:00 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by sanderson Today at 5:58 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by plantoid Today at 5:47 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:05 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 4:56 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by llama momma Today at 2:20 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by llama momma Today at 2:16 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by llama momma Today at 1:59 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by Ginger Blue Today at 1:57 pm

by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:29 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:24 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter Growing

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Winter Growing

Post  CapeCoddess on 10/21/2015, 10:45 am

SR,  I have a box bay window which faces southwest and I pretty much just follow the schedule in the back of the ANSFG book for seed starting times:

Over the years I've added notes in the margin to fine tune the seed starting for my yard, which is quite different than the rest of the neighborhood.

Two winters ago we had no sun for a very long time so I put the little peppers, basil & tomatoes under an under the cabinet kitchen florescent until the sun came back out.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 10/21/2015, 12:18 pm

I'm impressed with all of your systems, I have absolutely no room in the house at all for seed starting, so I start them in my greenhouse with natural daylight.  Of course, we're blessed with a really long growing season so I can get away with that.  

The hardest season of all for us to get seed started is actually the late summer planting for fall and winter growing.  I started lettuce 3 or 4 times and the heat got to most of them...

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 10/21/2015, 2:17 pm

Audrey, and some of us wish we had a nice, big greenhouse like you have! Very Happy  I don't have a nice south-facing window for seed starting so I use the formal dining room, as we don't need the area anymore.  It's easier for us to go to Sacramento where all of my kids and families live than for them to pack up all the baby stuff.  Ken's sons live in Las Vegas and Texas so he goes to visit them.  How in the heck did our combined families get so large! thinking

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12307

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn on 10/21/2015, 5:29 pm

@sanderson wrote:Audrey, and some of us wish we had a nice, big greenhouse like you have! Very Happy  I don't have a nice south-facing window for seed starting so I use the formal dining room, as we don't need the area anymore.  It's easier for us to go to Sacramento where all of my kids and families live than for them to pack up all the baby stuff.  Ken's sons live in Las Vegas and Texas so he goes to visit them.  How in the heck did our combined families get so large! thinking
I also have a small home with no room to really grow seedlings.   But I am fortunate to have a nice greenhouse business nearby that supplies me with decent transplants.

Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 205

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/21/2015, 8:02 pm

Thanks, everybody for the info and advice, I haven't started seeds indoors since the '90s.....yes, been a while. When I did, I think from your pics, I used a flourescent light and my seedlings were leggy and pale, but I think I didn't have the light close enough to the little guys....need adjustable height on light.

And really good to know what you start inside, vs. what to buy transplants of. Back in the day, it was really hard to find any heirloom ANYTHING, so I started my tomatoes indoors first.

Thanks again, and keep the experiences coming if you have them! thanks

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3820

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 10/27/2015, 2:09 am

I'm trying something this winter.  I've been using survival blankets in my greenhouse for 2 winters with great success (they keep the warmth in and cold out - when it gets really cold I have a low temp heater running under them to keep the temps up).

So I'm trying some of the lighter weight material I was able to recycle from a local farmer's stone fruit orchard.  They put down a fairy heavy mylar to reflect the sunlight and then gather it up at the end of the year.  I have a fairly large roll and I'm going to cover plants like tomatoes and squash early in the winter when we often get an odd frost that will kill plants that could grow another month or so before our consistent cold period.  

Our ground temps stay quite warm all winter since we're only zone 8b, the mylar material should reflect that heat back and hold it in.  *fingers crossed!*

It blocks the light during the day so I have to be sure to remember to uncover as early as is safe.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 10/27/2015, 9:58 am

Oh come on guys ... please stop this. You keep putting new ideas into my head that I have to try. 

First it was SFG boxes, then cages and trellises, then all the different things to grow, then composting, then indoor microgreens and now starting plants indoors. And I almost forgot the raised beds on legs which I will probably try next year. And then the possibility of becoming a certified instructor. And now on this thread it's starting seeds indoors. Of course, in my climate it's much too early to do that so it will have to wait until next year. 

Mrs Trolleydriver is not going to like this. She already rejected the idea of indoor vermicomposting. Thankfully she has allowed me to grow the microgreens in the front window of the living room. But if this continues I am expecting she will be wanting something very expensive in return.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2202

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/27/2015, 10:17 am

@trolleydriver wrote:

Mrs Trolleydriver is not going to like this. She already rejected the idea of indoor vermicomposting. Thankfully she has allowed me to grow the microgreens in the front window of the living room. But if this continues I am expecting she will be wanting something very expensive in return.
Sounds like your wife went to the same school mine did...
I told my wife I would buy her a small blower, one that she could handle...whatttt???? she said !!!!
Told me to buy her something from Bailey Banks and Biddle...
I just can't seem to buy anything one cannot use, just to wear???
However to be perfectly honest, I do enjoy eye candy.... Wink

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/27/2015, 10:18 am

TD - It's all addictive.  But it is fun and is keeping this newly retired lady occupied with something I enjoy.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/27/2015, 6:55 pm

Jimmy, I'd like a new weed wacker...  The one from Lowe's that looks basically like a lawn mower would be nice....    Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3794

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/27/2015, 10:53 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Jimmy, I'd like a new weed wacker...  The one from Lowe's that looks basically like a lawn mower would be nice....    Laughing   Laughing   Laughing
Need a model number....nope that one is sold out.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 10/28/2015, 11:52 am

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Jimmy, I'd like a new weed wacker...  The one from Lowe's that looks basically like a lawn mower would be nice....    Laughing   Laughing   Laughing
We have one we call the "weedwhacker on steroids" it is what you're describing.  Great for large properties as long as things are level.  Too much of a hill and they can tip over and can be dangerous.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/29/2015, 7:20 am

Oh...  Yeah, that makes sense.  Thanks for that info, Audrey.Jeanne!

Thankfully we don't have TOO bad a hill.  One of those would certainly make my life easier.  I can't handle the big gas-powered types - gives me tendinitis.  And our yard's too big for my little cord-operated one I use in the garden plot.

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2015, 7:33 am

I bought a cordless battery powered one this summer and love it.  Not as powerful as gas but gets it done for me. And I don't dislocate my shoulder getting it started!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2015, 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added)

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/29/2015, 6:03 pm

I've been looking at those...  Heaven knows we have the batteries!   Laughing  Might have to start hinting about one.......   sunny

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2015, 8:12 pm

I think it's a Black & Decker with the rechargeable battery that powers all the B&D power tools!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 10/29/2015, 9:35 pm

My gas run whacker quit on me 2 years ago.
Picked up a B & D battery operated unit with 2 batteries.
Thats all I'll ever use any more, convenient, light, and just plain nice to use.
Just 4 days ago I purchased  Dewalt 40 volt rechargeable blower.
Used it for a few days and I don't think Ill go back to gas.
Especially after finding out what ethanol does to 2 cycle engines.
Fuel is being sold now in gallon containers for 2 cycle engines, no ethanol, however at $20.00
 a gallon, that can add up quickly and pay for a new battery.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/29/2015, 9:39 pm

I am with ya, Jimmy. Battery power has come a long way!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 10/29/2015, 11:01 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Oh...  Yeah, that makes sense.  Thanks for that info, Audrey.Jeanne!

Thankfully we don't have TOO bad a hill.  One of those would certainly make my life easier.  I can't handle the big gas-powered types - gives me tendinitis.  And our yard's too big for my little cord-operated one I use in the garden plot.
On a hill you want to run straight up and down it if it's too steep.  It's easiest to go with the contour if it isn't too steep.  Ours used to be power drive, but it's 17 years old and has suffered great abuse.  Right now it's at our daughter's in laws as they need it more than we do.  

We also have a DR that we use so it isn't missed that much.  Our DR is so old it have bicycle like wheels - might be worth a bunch as an "antique!!!"  LOL

audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson on 10/30/2015, 1:05 am

What I'd really like is one of those blowers that has a vaccuum and mulcher/bag attachment so you can scoop up the leaves on the spot. Raking up leaves is vastly more time-consuming and sweaty work than blowing them.

Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/30/2015, 7:45 am

We don't have a lot of leaves, but that fence line & the grass......  We started pulling some of the grass out from the fencing when we put the garden plot in.  It was composting right there & packed in really tight.  What a mess!  And we've got a LOT of fence line...

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 10/30/2015, 8:36 am

Hey Marc I have one of those blowers/ suckers  with the bag attachment. They work well grinding up the leaves and small twigs. However it is very awkward to use and gets quite heavy as it fills. I really dislike using it. I use my riding mower to mulch as many of the leaves that I can into the lawn, then rake the fence edges into a pile and then use the bagger in one location so I don't have to carry it. I still get all the mulched leaves I want, two big cottonwood trees in the front yard.

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 12/2/2015, 9:04 pm

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/2/2015, 10:08 pm

Inspirational video, has! Thanks for sharing! I would love to do a covered garden someday.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 12/3/2015, 8:16 am

Last spring I added a cover to one of my beds, mainly for cool spring reason. It helped lots keeping frost out of the area. Then decided to leave it on for summer, protection against bugs and such. It worked out nicely, lots of cool weather plants came up and flourished, I even planted a few tomato plants, peppers and eggplant. Eggplant did the best of all.
Kept it on during fall also, finally removed the cover to preserve it for next season.
I was able to lift side to open when needed, it was an experiment that I am going to continue. I may do the same on a small bed made for zucchini and cucumbers.
I liked it a lot. so much that it's possible all my beds may have this protection in time...??????

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: