Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Third Year SFG in Canada
by hammock gal Today at 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 4:56 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma Today at 1:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Today at 1:34 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver Today at 12:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 10:26 am

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal Today at 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:53 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by yolos Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:17 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Grow Produce from Produce!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:18 am

» Huge Box of Seeds from 2003!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Water....
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:45 am

» Bee 'Sleeping' in Cucumber Flower
by hammock gal Yesterday at 7:10 am

» Store Bought Compost
by plantoid Yesterday at 6:58 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 9:58 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 8/16/2017, 6:54 pm

» Top Dressing with Compost
by donnainzone5 8/16/2017, 3:59 pm

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 3:55 pm

» cherokee purple...seed to dish
by CapeCoddess 8/16/2017, 12:57 pm

» I feel VERY fortunate!
by AtlantaMarie 8/16/2017, 8:28 am

» Things You Never Knew Existed Until SFG...
by llama momma 8/16/2017, 6:47 am

» Anyone want walking onions??
by RoOsTeR 8/15/2017, 9:27 pm

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by yolos 8/15/2017, 8:53 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Scorpio Rising 8/15/2017, 7:18 pm

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals 8/15/2017, 4:38 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone from Ireland?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone from Ireland?

Post  rosiejoe on 5/9/2010, 2:31 am

Anyone from Ireland?
Hi all! I'm from Ireland and wondering if there are any other like minded European souls out there?
rosiejoe
rosiejoe

Female Posts : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone from Ireland?

Post  plb on 5/9/2010, 6:35 am

I'm not in Ireland, but I live close enough, in England. I'm growing veggies for the first time this year, and it's nice to have some fellow SFG'er with whom to share tales of cold, rainy summers... Welcome to the forum!

plb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee on 5/9/2010, 9:57 am

Hi, RosieJoe -- there has to be a first one of everything...and you're the first from Ireland.

There are several in the UK, a couple in France, a few in Holland, and one in Belgium...but we're growing! We're all the same zone, though, so the experiences aren't that different.

Glad to have you in the forum!

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Survival of the fittest

Post  rosiejoe on 5/9/2010, 11:27 am

Survival of the fittest
Good to have found some neighbours! Just across the pond as they say! This is my first year trying to grow things too. I'm lovin it. We are really enjoying the spring cabbage... but my little plants were so small at first that I decided to put 2 per square....... I now see the error of my ways.... tis survival of the fittest.Well done on the forum guys its just brill! Here's to a less rainy summer.

rosiejoe
rosiejoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 on 5/9/2010, 11:47 am

I'm not from Ireland but three of my four grandparents were! I want to visit someday so be sure those gardens are green when I get there .

Welcome to the Forums, Rosiejoe. It's nice to have you on our board. I think we are experiencing some Irish weather this week. It has been COLD, rainy and windy here in northern Ohio. The weatherman said we are in a "very deep low pressure" whatever that means other than COLD! My baby plants are surviving so far.

Would love to see pictures of your Irish garden.

Claire
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for the welcome

Post  rosiejoe on 5/9/2010, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
My photos are in the gallery of pics under rosiejoe! Enjoy! All suggestions would be welcome.
rosiejoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 on 5/9/2010, 3:08 pm

Going there now

Claire
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 on 5/9/2010, 3:21 pm

Rosiejoe,

Your gardens are wonderful. Did I read somewhere that those hoops are hula-hoops? I'm on a mission now! MUST HAVE! Great idea. I don't think you are a beginner gardener. You are an inspiration!

Is that your own personal greenhouse? Fantabulous! Makes my milk bottle covers look like I came from the wrong side of the track!

I'm so glad you put up an album. I'll keep checking back. Also love the blue on your house trim .

Claire
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi from the emerald isle

Post  Blow In on 5/22/2010, 2:33 pm

Hi, Just found the site. Have loads of work to do, in the process of developing garden and have been thinking about a raised bed system as the soil here is dreadful. We have just had a guy with a digger level an area of land as we live 750ft up the side of a hill. Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Have been here 6 years and the olny thing that has grown so far is weeds, fuschia and briars. Spuds get blight and it's too cold outside for tomatoes or strawberries. Have got polytunnel up and some things are coming on, but we really need to get started on the raised beds.

Blow In

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden on 5/22/2010, 3:42 pm

Hi
I spent several summers in a peat bog on the west coast of Ireland!
I envy you the fuschia and if you have that then I guess the winters are not so cold.
I can grow strawberries here so perhaps you just need the right sort. It is best to have them in a cold frame and cover them in the winter, then you get better crops, but they do survive the winter and mine are flowering now.
Pity about the potatoes. Could you get blight-free ones and grow them in Mel's mix which could be sterilised?
Carrots and cabbage would do OK wouldn't they? Mind you, 750 ft up a hill is high! You must be very fit
I bet people on here will have loads of ideas for you. I swear by that thin white acrylic agricultural fleece. I put it over the veg garden as soon as I have sown anything, and take it of some time in June. My father in law uses it to protect his perennial flower beds over the winter, just weights it down with stones at the edge. It is supposed to create a little micro climate so things keep warmer.

Icemaiden

View user profile http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

There are 3 of us from Ireland now!

Post  rosiejoe on 5/22/2010, 3:49 pm

There is 3 of us from Ireland now!
Delighted to make your acquaintance! Best of luck developing your raised beds. They are great from the point of view that it doesnt matter what the original soil is like. I have actually used 1/3 topsoil,1/3 compost from a mushroom farm and 1/3 well rotted manure. My beds are 8 inches deep. See my pics. My vegetables especially my spring cabbage and oninions are happy and thriving. I am in the south east. Oh yes.... some of us still use inches in Ireland!

rosiejoe
rosiejoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper on 5/22/2010, 9:29 pm

@Blow In wrote:Spuds get blight and it's too cold outside for tomatoes or strawberries. Have got polytunnel up and some things are coming on, but we really need to get started on the raised beds.

re: Spuds get blight: would this be an issue in the raised bed with mix from the garden center if you lined the bottom of the box with weed mat, cardboard, newspapers or whatever? Just curious.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

View user profile http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden on 5/23/2010, 5:32 am

That's what I was wondering but now I have Googledd it a bit I realise that it can be airborne and thrives in cool wet weather So probably not worth the hassle, even with a blight resistant sort.
Swede and turnip might do well though.

Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

someone from Ireland

Post  Andrea and Michael on 1/16/2011, 8:16 am

Hello there,
we're just new here. we're living in the area of Cork. We startet SFG last January with great success and got all the neighboors and friends curious. In fact so curious that we got asked to give SFG trainings. Also for elderly people. Good we have ordered the whole training package a year ago, so we're already half on our way with the teacher certification and so on. But it so happens that it is known here to be very wet and windy. For the older people and the school here nearby it would be very handy to do ( I call it gardening on stilts ) table top gardening. But there's no weatherproof MDF all over Ireland for to use as the bottom of the box. People here use something like Oriented Strand Board, but they say it is not at all the same. Does anyone have a good idea for this? If possible it should last for at least about 5 years in these weatherconditions.

Thanks to you all thanks
Andrea

Andrea and Michael

Female Posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden on 1/16/2011, 8:50 am

Hi, and welcome Smile

Oriented strand board? Would that be what I would call marine plywood? A lanscape gardener here (Reykjavik) told me to use marine plywood for a retaining wall in the garden. He said it would last ten years.

Personally I would not like to use any timber that was treated to make it weatherproof, but that is probably just me.

Could you staple on some sort of metal mesh and then line it with weed barrier? How big are the table-tops going to be?

I'm sure people on here will have loads of ideas to add. bounce

Icemaiden

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer on 1/16/2011, 10:53 am

Welcome, you'll find some ideas here.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t297-building-a-table-top-sfgsome-ideas?highlight=table+top

Some folks in drier climates get away with using plywood bottoms. I feel I get rain too often for plywood to be practical.
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

View user profile http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom on 1/16/2011, 1:18 pm

I found that Oriented Strand Board (OSB) is sometimes called ChipBoard in the USA.

Here are some sites with more information.

One Summary concludes: Plywood and oriented strand board (OSB) are similar, yet different. They are made similarly yet react differently when they get wet. OSB may be less expensive, but if cuts are made to the surface, it loses its waterproof quality.

The suggestion for applications that will be subjected to water is to use products that are stamped "Exposure" grade.

Plywood vs OSB

Plywood and OSB
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: someone from Ireland

Post  kali291 on 1/25/2011, 1:47 pm

Hi. I would suggest that, as previously stated, you use marine plywood covered with something like Mypex. Both are readily available here in Ireland. The one thing I would do is steer totally clear of MDF, as it is made with resins containing formaldehyde, which is a suspected carcinogen. Marine ply is available in various thicknesses from most builder's suppliers, and Mypex is available from larger garden centres. Don't be tempted to use the cheap, almost see-through weed control fabric sold in 10 metre rolls at the big DIY stores. It rots in one season No
Ron

kali291

Male Posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi from Northern Ireland

Post  Liz.Lawton on 3/16/2012, 6:57 pm

Just bought the all new SFG and can't wait to start but slightly confused with the quantity for Mel's Mix. Most of our bags of compost etc come in litre bags. Can someone who has been there done that from Ireland or UK help with the quantity needed to start me off. I am putting together one 4x4 bed to begin with. Many thanks Liz
Liz.Lawton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Are you counting me?

Post  kmorrissey on 4/1/2012, 6:45 am

Hi ROSIEJOE,

Are you counting me in the three from Ireland or are we four? I live in Ballinteer, Dublin, I joined and posted on the 8th September last. I have only made two postings so far.

One advantage that I did get from SFG is that I have managed 2 to 3 crops in every 1ft square, my winter crop (Kale, Leeks, Brussle sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower) only fininished a month ago.

I have four 8'x4' beds with Mels Mix and I have made two more 8'x4' beds this year filled with the topsoil left over from levelling the garden. I'm going to do a controlled experiment between the Mels Mix beds and the topsoil beds to see what the yeild / quality difference really is.

I have already planted first early spuds, brussle sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, onions, garlic, shallots, herbs under fleece cloches. I have tomatoes & peppers in my LIDL plastic greenhouse ready to go out when the weather gets warmer.

How far on are al the other SFG's na hEireann anois?

kmorrissey

Male Posts : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum