Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by llama momma Today at 4:33 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Today at 4:04 pm

» New England September 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 3:58 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:10 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 1:06 pm

» mulching
by dstack Today at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Today at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:32 am

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by jimmy cee Today at 9:03 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Today at 6:05 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by has55 Today at 3:21 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Kelejan Today at 12:22 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Turan Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:03 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by trolleydriver 9/22/2016, 8:27 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/2/2015, 8:29 am

Hi, all!  I don't know about you, but winter has slowly crept in here in Ohio, despite a warm fall.  I have turned my attention to trying to get more out of my compost efforts, and planning for seed starting activities!  No catalogs yet at my house.  

Got a squirrel baffle for the shepherd's hook that I put my birdfeeder and suet holder on, hope it helps!  My neighborhood squirrels spill so much sunflower seeds out of the feeder, it is so wasteful.  I even feed them separately, corn on the cob and when it is bitter, they get unsalted peanuts!  

Going to get the feeders happening today after it warms up a bit.


Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 12/2/2015, 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Goosegirl on 12/2/2015, 10:23 pm

I got my first seed catalogs in the mail today!

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/3/2015, 7:39 am

@Goosegirl wrote:I got my first seed catalogs in the mail today!

Lucky girl! Patiently, or impatiently, waiting.....

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/3/2015, 9:17 am

Waiting on mine too......  For those of you already getting them - don't keep us in suspense!  What are you looking at getting???

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3604
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 53
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  yolos on 12/3/2015, 6:01 pm

Tom Thumb Peas (shell).  They do not get very tall.  Can be grown in pots.  I intend to start them inside in pots in Jan/Feb and maybe plant out in Feb.  Because they are so small, I can keep them covered with plastic and row cover.
http://www.rareseeds.com/tom-thumb-garden-pea/

yolos

Female Posts : 2785
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/3/2015, 6:19 pm

@yolos wrote:Tom Thumb Peas (shell).  They do not get very tall.  Can be grown in pots.  I intend to start them inside in pots in Jan/Feb and maybe plant out in Feb.  Because they are so small, I can keep them covered with plastic and row cover.
http://www.rareseeds.com/tom-thumb-garden-pea/

OH my gosh! Soooooo cute! And edible to boot! Love it! Do you use as a Shelley, yolos?

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  yolos on 12/3/2015, 7:29 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@yolos wrote:Tom Thumb Peas (shell).  They do not get very tall.  Can be grown in pots.  I intend to start them inside in pots in Jan/Feb and maybe plant out in Feb.  Because they are so small, I can keep them covered with plastic and row cover.
http://www.rareseeds.com/tom-thumb-garden-pea/

OH my gosh!  Soooooo cute!  And edible to boot!  Love it!  Do you use as a Shelley, yolos?
This will be my first trial of that variety.  I intend to grow it as an English Shell Pea.

yolos

Female Posts : 2785
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 66
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/3/2015, 7:35 pm

@yolos wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@yolos wrote:Tom Thumb Peas (shell).  They do not get very tall.  Can be grown in pots.  I intend to start them inside in pots in Jan/Feb and maybe plant out in Feb.  Because they are so small, I can keep them covered with plastic and row cover.
http://www.rareseeds.com/tom-thumb-garden-pea/

OH my gosh!  Soooooo cute!  And edible to boot!  Love it!  Do you use as a Shelley, yolos?
This will be my first trial of that variety.  I intend to grow it as an English Shell Pea.

Just ordered their catalog......keep us posted?!!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  sanderson on 12/3/2015, 9:04 pm

Just added them to my list. Thanks

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11662
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 67
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/4/2015, 10:09 am

Me too!  Hope they taste good...

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3604
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 53
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/4/2015, 6:16 pm

Me three!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/5/2015, 9:20 am

Woke up to freezing fog here! Is that Frog? Anyways, here is the view from the patio door into back yard, raised beds back there in the distance, grasses frosted over:




Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Goosegirl on 12/6/2015, 8:47 am

Freezing fog here as well, but the last few days have been in the 40's and NOT freezing overnight.  Not a typical December.  When I checked last weekend there were a few garlic sprouts poking up!  Then we had a snow storm, then the 40's, and now that some of that snow has melted I am going to check and see if there are MORE garlic sprouts.  I tried checking last night, but it was after dark and I did not have my slug flashlight with me!

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/6/2015, 10:15 am

It has been such an unusually warm fall/early winter here. And, yay garlic! A few of mine were up too!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/9/2015, 1:23 am

Getting a little weirded out by the weather. Really warm. I have nothing in but garlic...because normally it would be 25F....... And wet

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Goosegirl on 12/9/2015, 6:57 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Getting a little weirded out by the weather. Really warm.   I have nothing in but garlic...because normally it would be 25F....... And wet
I am there with you!  It is currently 36F.  It is December and we have had at least 3 nights that temps stayed ABOVE freezing!  Our high today is supposed to be 51F!  If I had only known, I could have put in a few hundred carrots!!!

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/9/2015, 8:47 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Getting a little weirded out by the weather. Really warm.   I have nothing in but garlic...because normally it would be 25F....... And wet
I am there with you!  It is currently 36F.  It is December and we have had at least 3 nights that temps stayed ABOVE freezing!  Our high today is supposed to be 51F!  If I had only known, I could have put in a few hundred carrots!!!

I know it! If we had all known that this fall was going to g thinking o into December....I for one would not have destroyed the baby kales and lettuces in November....when we actually DID FREEZE?!?!?!?!?!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/14/2015, 9:12 pm

Would squirrels be digging up my garlic? Most of it is up, but some is missing for sure from the grid pattern....

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Goosegirl on 12/20/2015, 3:42 pm

Squirrels will dig up ANYTHING - even if they have done it before.  Dig it up, take one bite out of it, decide they don't like it, *you plant it back in the ground, they dig it up the next day and take one more bite, spit it out*, repeat from* to * infinite number of times....the life cycle of my irises.

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  herblover on 12/20/2015, 4:31 pm

I haven't been up here much, but this weather is weird!  I have buds on my ornamental pear trees, the garlic has grown up through the first bag of mulch i dumped on top of it, and we just had our first snow flakes on Friday.

herblover

Female Posts : 526
Join date : 2010-03-27
Age : 54
Location : Central OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/20/2015, 7:44 pm

@Goosegirl wrote:Squirrels will dig up ANYTHING - even if they have done it before.  Dig it up, take one bite out of it, decide they don't like it, *you plant it back in the ground, they dig it up the next day and take one more bite, spit it out*, repeat from* to * infinite number of times....the life cycle of my irises.
sawing logs

GG, it was just so strange, because this garlic is literally in a big fake terra cotta container that I got at KMart last month...I was surprised that the little buggers knew it was here!

And yes, herblover, very strange weather. El Nino and other (global warming yes) things going on.....we have had no snow at all, just flurries....but nothing accumulation wise. Which is OK for me because I drive a half hour to work. Yay!

Very weirdly warm.....

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Goosegirl on 12/20/2015, 10:23 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@Goosegirl wrote:Squirrels will dig up ANYTHING - even if they have done it before.  Dig it up, take one bite out of it, decide they don't like it, *you plant it back in the ground, they dig it up the next day and take one more bite, spit it out*, repeat from* to * infinite number of times....the life cycle of my irises.
sawing logs

GG, it was just so strange, because this garlic is literally in a big fake terra cotta container that I got at KMart last month...I was surprised that the little buggers knew it was here!  
I don't know how they know, but they just do!!!

____________________________

GG   geek 






COMPOSTING:  The only time 'Garbage In' does not equal 'Garbage Out'!

Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3399
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 51
Location : Zone 4A - NE SD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/23/2015, 8:10 am

They probly smell it.  Critters have much better sniffers than we do...

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3604
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 53
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/23/2015, 8:54 am

@AtlantaMarie wrote:They probly smell it.  Critters have much better sniffers than we do...

Yeah, truth. Oh well, some of them are still there....some garlic is better than none, which is what I grew last year! Lol!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/27/2015, 10:54 am

Rained yesterday and overnight here, over an inch at present. I have my Christmas bale of straw coming today, so I will have to get out and layer/bulk up my pile. I think I am going to combine them into one big pile and go for broke. My friends are bringing (2) 5 gallon buckets of cow poo too, which I will add in there, along with my new-found coffee grounds from the coffee house! Then I am going to tarp it, because we are in for some seasonably cold weather coming, according to Wunderground.

What is everyone else doing to wind up 2015?

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3439
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Northern & Central Midwest: December Dreaming!

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:05 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum