Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 6:38 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 6:11 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by jimmy cee Today at 5:35 pm

by trolleydriver Today at 4:14 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:32 pm

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 12:57 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by sanderson Today at 12:40 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:32 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:56 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Today at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Today at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:52 pm

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver 12/1/2016, 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 1:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2016

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2016

Post  Kelejan on 1/9/2016, 12:47 pm

What I like about snow on the mountains, scorpio, is that it generally melts over the course of time and so releases the water in a more controlled manner. It does cause problems when the weather hhats up too quickly, then we get floods.

Last edited by Kelejan on 1/12/2016, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4488

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/12/2016, 2:09 pm

I've been away for a few days down in St. Catharines, Ontario which is ten miles from Niagara Falls. Some 44 years ago, my wife and I got engaged at Niagara's Horseshoe Falls so we always take a drive to that spot when we get a chance. As well. we went to my favourite discount book store. It's the same place where last year I bought a copy of Mel's books ... "All New Square Foot Gardening" and "Square Foot Gardening Answers Book". This time I purchased "Grocery Gardening" by Jean Ann Van Krevelen. It's not SFG but is quite interesting and includes such things as planting, seed starting, organic disease and pest management, purchasing quality produce, edibles, and preserving. The edibles section is quite detailed and covers herbs, fruit and vegetables. For each type of plant, for example broccoli, it covers planting/growing, varieties, grocery store selection, home grown harvesting, and preparation methods including several recipes.

I've got nothing going on outside or inside (under the grow light). I'll get some microgreens going soon. 

In his "Answers Book", Mel suggests starting seeds in toilet paper tubes cut in half so each piece is about 2 inches tall. These are filled with MM, labelled with a marking pen, and then put in a shallow tray with a layer of water. I would like to try that as a test run under the grow light. I'd also like to try making a small self-watering container for use under the grow light.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2170

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/12/2016, 3:08 pm

I thought things were a little quiet around our Canada thread, TD.  I missed you but you have  been busy behind the scenes.

My DH and I visited Niagara Falls round about 1992 when we were en route to a Legion Convention in Quebec.  It is hard to imagine that it can stop flowing due to ice.

Nothing much doing here for me.  Just looking forward to spring to see the tulips bloom and everything else coming to life.

Having a little trouble typing due to a cut thumb.  I tried to include it the sourkraut I'm making. Sad

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/13/2016, 10:52 am

This morning I woke to another Winter Wonderland.  Eight inches of snow (20cm although 10 to 15 was forecast).  Spent Half an hour clearing my pathway to the roadside so as to put out my garbage and recyclables. On garbage day our route collection has been changed from mid-day Friday to 7:00am Wednesday and it certainly does make a difference to me. I have a job to get up in the dark to put out garbage.

I doubt the garbage wagon will be here any time this morning. Our road is about the last on the list to be plowed but we get used to it. Most likely  cleared tomorrow some time then we get huge banks of snow at the bottoms of our driveways. The snowplow operators are not allowed to clear them but on occasion one of them will clear it if they see me shovelling.  If the snow keeps up for a little longer before turning to rain, I may get in a few hundred yards of snow-shoeing. I really do wish our temperatures remained just below freezing instead of this freeze/thaw that we generally get.  I dislike slush and ice, much prefer rain or  snow separately.

On Topic.  Something to do with gardening.  Oh, yes. I bought some herb seeds yesterday to put in my AeroGrden.  Basil, Oregano and Marjoram.  The ones I planted recently did not do well so I bought some fresh ones.  Some to plant now in my pots, and some to plant later on in the garden and hopefully get them reproducing each year. I think herbs are some that give the best returns for one's time and effort. The leaves of my pot of delayed tulip bulbs is coming up nicely , may even get some blooms; but it does not matter as these bulbs were rescues from the garden planted about twenty years ago, and I want to revive them as they are a bit special in my memory bank. They are red ones for a ruby anniversary.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/13/2016, 11:44 am

KJ ... We got about 8 cm of snow and lots of drifting due to the strong winds. Not much chance of slush here with temperature of -15C and windchill of -25C this morning. Like you I had to put out the garbage this morning but I waited until it was light out. Our pickup is usually between 7 and 8 am but they were late today which was fine with me.

My thoughts are with you in regards to your special memory.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/13/2016, 2:46 pm

Here is more incentive for Canadians to get into SFG and grow their own veggies.

The Canadian dollar is plummeting next to the USA dollar. Today it is below 70 cents USA and some analysts are forecasting a 59 cent Canadian dollar. Since we import a lot of our fruit and vegetables, especially in the winter, the low dollar will make those products more expensive. For those of us who are retired and on fixed incomes and for low income families this is not good.

Statistics Canada shows that in one month from October 2015 to November 2015 fresh vegetables skyrocketed by 9% and the year over year (Nov 2014 to Nov 2015) increase was 10.9%. Those are very scary numbers and it will only get worse if our dollar goes from the current 70 cents US to 59 cents US. Yikes!

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/cpis08a-eng.htm

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/13/2016, 5:01 pm

All the more reason I am going to try harder this coming season.  The trouble with Canada is that we are a resource nation and do not add value to our resources.

Last year I read a book that was published over forty years ago, about adding value to our raw materials, and it could have been written today. Very little has changed.

It takes time to change and we have had it easy being able to dig stuff out of the ground and to just cut down our forests.

I read in this book that we sold our wood for X dollars and imported finished wood products at fourteen times the cost.

Last edited by Kelejan on 1/14/2016, 8:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/14/2016, 2:26 am

You folks prompted me to check on US costs for food.  USDA stats for food costs per month (low budget vs. high living budgets)  There wasn't much difference between 2011-2014 so I went back to 2005 to see the difference.  Anything that can be home grown helps the budget.

Aug 2005  Retired M/F couple         $286.50-549.80
               M/F family with 2 teens  509.60-985.10

Nov 2015  Retired M/F couple       $369.90-715.80
               M/F family with 2 teens 649.50-1292.10

The costs are for nutritious meals based on the food guides/pyramids in vogue at the time.  Did not include sundries or junk food.  It was interesting that they had a breakdown for sexes and age ranges.

Last edited by sanderson on 1/15/2016, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/15/2016, 3:10 pm

Just opened up a jar of the "green tomato and apple chutney' that I canned last fall. Gave the contents a taste and it is gooood. Now let's see if I will survive.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/15/2016, 4:10 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:Just opened up a jar of the "green tomato and apple chutney' that I canned last fall. Gave the contents a taste and it is gooood. Now let's see if I will survive.

I will check in tomorrow, TD. Very Happy

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/15/2016, 9:32 pm

I have no doubt that you will be here tomorrow, TD!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3774

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/16/2016, 11:44 am

On the Potato thread I mentioned that I had discovered some potatoes put away and forgotten.

Today I will re-pack them; I have about eight pounds of them. I expect too many for me as I am going to try one potato per square this year;  but I can share.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/16/2016, 1:35 pm

I'm still alive after sampling the chutney. Had some more today and Mrs TD helped herself to some as well. Need to get back to reading the gardening books that I started into over the past couple of weeks ... and then there is the seed catalogues. Too much to do.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/19/2016, 10:54 am

I won't be doing any outside gardening today. Right now the wind is gusting to 45 Km/Hr and the wind chill is -28 Celsius.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/19/2016, 7:08 pm

Well, TD, I was able to spend an hour outside sorting out my seed potatoes, fluffing the peat and then packaging the pots with the peat into a container to place in my utility room.

The container now sits under my Wiggler Hilton without taking any more floor space.

It felt so good to do some physical work for a change.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/22/2016, 12:37 am

glad you\'re here p14shooter happy hi from N.S.
from Kelejan  :canada: British Columbia

Last edited by Kelejan on 1/22/2016, 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/22/2016, 12:45 am

Looks like Eastern Canada is in for some foul weather, as well as our friends south of the border.

Here in British Columbia, Southern Interior we have lots of rain on top of snow and it is really messy. Although the temperature is above freezing, the snow turns to slush but does not really melt to run away down the drains, which are mostly blocked anyway.

When crossing the road one has the option of six inches of water or clambering over a pile of wet snow.  It pays to have waterproof boots. As for the poor parents taking their offspring out in a buggy, it is almost impossible.

Ah, well. spring is coming.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/22/2016, 10:01 am

Looks like the big storm is going to miss my location.  No snow forecast here until next Monday and then only a 60% chance of flurries.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/22/2016, 12:59 pm

More information concerning inflation in Canada was released today:

The report said prices for fresh fruit increased 13.2 per cent last month compared to a year earlier, while fresh vegetables rose 13.3 per cent.

The price of lettuce surged 21.8 per cent.

Overall, consumers spent 3.7 per cent more on food last month than the previous year.

On top of higher produce prices, Canadians were also paying considerably more for home and mortgage insurance, automobiles and electricity compared to a year earlier, the report said.

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/22/2016, 1:50 pm

Canada of course is not alone.

I feel sorry for people who will fall into the poverty trap who are so used to having enough to spend on more than they need, who perhaps have little idea of how to manage their money when times are hard.

I have a friend, (not a close one I am happy to say) who has at least half as much income as I have, but is always pleading poverty and scrounging on everyone else in our group.  But she does not cook and relies on frozen boxed meals, never eats fresh veggies, always opens a can for soup, and so it goes on.  I have offered to help her make soup in bulk, etc. She drinks coffee twice a day at the local Subway and also smokes far too much.  Enough said.  I am afraid I now begrudge the time for her when she always invites me out for coffee at a moments notice as it takes at least an hour and a half out of my day.  I just feel sorry for her but I feel I have done my best.

I do know that many of the younger generation have no idea about finance and have never learned to budget, as it is "too boring". Also never know where their actual food comes from.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/22/2016, 4:22 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:Looks like the big storm is going to miss my location.  No snow forecast here until next Monday and then only a 60% chance of flurries.

I see from the weather forecast that this big storm will bypass Ontario; lucky you, TD.
Hopefully the worst will also pas the Maritimes as it heads out into the Atlantic.
I expect it will end up again on the shores of Britain before it dissipates. That Island is already saturated to the bedrock this winter. Water restrictions will be back in the summer as is usual.

What I am surprised about, but should not be, is the panic buying before every potential disaster. The storm will pass by in a couple of days; this kind of thing has happened often enough that we should all at least be able to survive three days without going to the supermarket, even if the electricity is off.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/23/2016, 1:16 am

Tomorrow's daylight hours for where I live in British Columbia: 8 hours 54 minutes.

Getting near that ten hours of daylight when plants start to grow instead of being dormant.   Soon be hearing that garlic stirring under the fall leaves. Unless it freezes again. :-(

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/23/2016, 2:43 am

I have been watching the news through out the day. One man was buying marshmallows and potato chips for his kids! In another photo it looked like only 2 green bells and onions were left in the produce. It's not like folks didn't know a storm was coming. But, to be fair, some folks don't have enough money to stock up their pantries and freezers. They live paycheck to paycheck.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 1/23/2016, 8:45 am

It's a beautiful sunny winter day here in the Nation's Capital (Canada). I looked out of my dining room window in the direction of my two lonely 4'x4' SFG beds. They are buried beneath the snow with only their chicken wire cages and a trellis above the snow to show their location. I can picture more SFG beds ... two ... maybe four. Will Mrs TD agree to such an expansion?

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/23/2016, 10:19 am

TD, with the price of vegetables ever on the rise, I am sure she will agree to more SFG beds.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum