Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:27 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:22 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by sanderson Today at 4:06 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» Live and learn
by sanderson Today at 2:29 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SVB and Pickleworm Resistant Squash

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SVB and Pickleworm Resistant Squash

Post  yolos on 1/3/2016, 6:58 pm

I have a fight every year with Squash Vine Borers (SVB) and Pickleworm attacking my squash. Unless I use row covers, I always loose.   I have researched this problem and found the following.

The most resistant types of squash to SVB are Butternut, Acorn, and Cashaw Squash.  They are also the most resistant to pickle worm if planted in April so they have time to toughen up their skins before the pickle worms arrive sometime in July. 

I know I want to grow Tromboncino because it is also resistant to SVB and is a summer squash.  But I have never grown a winter squash and I need help.  What are your recommendations for Butternut, Acorn and Cashaw varieties in terms of productivity and taste??  I will be growing them up a trellis and they will be planted in Whiskey size containers.

yolos

Female Posts : 2856

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SVB and Pickleworm Resistant Squash

Post  meatburner on 1/3/2016, 10:42 pm

Sounds like row covers are the best way to go.

meatburner

Male Posts : 311

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/3/2016, 11:45 pm

@meatburner wrote:Sounds like row covers are the best way to go.
Your are right, I did that for about 3 years but now I am trying to grow something that is not so needy.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/4/2016, 3:10 am

Canada Crookneck winter squash - "reportedly originated among the Iroquois Indians . . . ancestor of today's Butternut."  I loved it in 2014.  The neck is all flesh.  Baker Creek seeds

I baked pieces, then froze. Nice and sweet.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12261

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/4/2016, 10:57 am

I haven't grown winter squash successfully, but I have grown trobocino.  And from what I understand, the way you grow them is the same way you grow winter squash.  Give them 1-2 squares with space to grow up, lots of compost (they're heavy feeders), and watch them go! 

I've been successful with SVB by covering my zucchinis with tule in the spring and uncovering them once they flower.  But we live in pretty different areas, and I think you would have more trouble with bugs than I do.  That's one good thing about living in the great white north Smile (Ok, so I don't live in Canada, but it's just across Lake Erie from me).

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/4/2016, 6:53 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:

I've been successful with SVB by covering my zucchinis with tule in the spring and uncovering them once they flower.  But we live in pretty different areas, and I think you would have more trouble with bugs than I do.  That's one good thing about living in the great white north Smile (Ok, so I don't live in Canada, but it's just across Lake Erie from me).
Me too!

I was DEVASTATED by squash vine borers for years using a traditional garden. Problem number 1: I didn't know what was wrong until about year 4 when I got zero squash. Again! What? Plants just flourished, bloomed, deflated, fell over and died. Hindsight. Got online, and voila (in a bad way) Evil or Very Mad

Problem #2 I kept using the same plot of ground for the squash. The larvae live in the ground, and tulle only keeps the flies off, not the boring little evil things from invadin your vine stems.

Solution for me: Relocating the entire operation. Get away from the little boring larvae. Cover if need be, be watchful for the flying dragons that lay the eggs. Watch the base of your squash plants. Have heard success spearing the little darlings with needles if you transilluminate and see them inside the stem...ne experience with that, would be fun spearing them, though.

My advice, relocate, sterilize the MM HARD. Kill those buggers. And go for it, be vigilant.

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3783

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/7/2016, 8:30 pm

I got a cool tip from one of my many gardening books about SVB I just remembered.  In case your plants become infested with SVB, it suggests going out to the garden at right with a flashlight and shining it through the stems of your plants from behind.  That way, you can see if the plants have the evil worms in them.  If they do, it said to poke them with needles a few times (gross, right?).  Do that a couple of times until you stop seeing new frass. 

Of course, that doesn't help prevent SVB.

littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/7/2016, 8:39 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I got a cool tip from one of my many gardening books about SVB I just remembered.  In case your plants become infested with SVB, it suggests going out to the garden at right with a flashlight and shining it through the stems of your plants from behind.  That way, you can see if the plants have the evil worms in them.  If they do, it said to poke them with needles a few times (gross, right?).  Do that a couple of times until you stop seeing new frass. 

Of course, that doesn't help prevent SVB.

Yeah, that is transilluminating the stems! Lights it up, and the wormy things make shadows. Supposed to stick sewing needles through them where they are, leave the needles til next day. Pull needles, dress plant wounds with a bit of water, wrap trunk with foil tight. I don't know....sounds worth a try with those horrible pests....

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/7/2016, 8:53 pm

I figure it's gotta be less damaging than doing surgery to the plants, which is what I usually do.  Make a slit in the stem from the opening up until you find the little beast, pull it out, and then cover with some compost and hope for the best. 

I have no idea what a pickle worm is.  Is it a more southern pest?

littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/7/2016, 9:19 pm

We don't have them, LS. Pickle worms...never seen one.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/7/2016, 9:22 pm

Curious...did the whole surgical worm extraction thing work?

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/8/2016, 7:49 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Curious...did the whole surgical worm extraction thing work?
It usually does work, but I'm always afraid it's going to kill the plant or allow in disease.  Also, it's so painful to cut open my lovely plants Sad

littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/8/2016, 8:57 pm

If you are interested, here is a good description of the pickleworm.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/W206.pdf

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/8/2016, 9:31 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Curious...did the whole surgical worm extraction thing work?
It usually does work, but I'm always afraid it's going to kill the plant or allow in disease.  Also, it's so painful to cut open my lovely plants Sad

I honestly didn't know what was happening to my plants for years. They did great, transplanted well, grew, flowered and then slumped over, never set fruit...it was very confusing. Never had this prob at the previous house less than 60 miles.

Googled the symptoms...jeesh. Hindsight. Tried one more year with foil around the stems...Epic Fail. SFG HERE I COME,!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/8/2016, 9:57 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@littlesapphire wrote:

I honestly didn't know what was happening to my plants for years.  They did great, transplanted well, grew, flowered and then slumped over, never set fruit...it was very confusing.  Never had this prob at the previous house less than 60 miles.

Googled the symptoms...jeesh.  Hindsight.  Tried one more year with foil around the stems...Epic Fail.  SFG HERE I COME,!

SFG won't help stop either of these pests.  The only way to really stop them is row cover or tulle over the beds.  Then you have to worry about pollination.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/8/2016, 10:13 pm

I thought the little borers were in the ground?

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/9/2016, 4:26 pm

From what I understand, the borers stay in the plant debris during winter (that's why you always clean up your garden in fall).  Then in spring, it turns into a moth, that goes and lays eggs on the base of the plant.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But I've been planting my squash in nearly the same area for many years, and covering it with tulle in the spring works wonders to keep them free from SVB.  'Course, I turn over my mix in the fall and spring, which might bring the wormies to the surface and they then get eaten by birds.  Foil does help a little, but you have to be pretty quick about putting it on.  Tulle works the best, in my opinion.  Or you can just do surgery later on.

Ick, pickleworm seems like a terrible pest to have Sad  Like SVB only worse because it can also eat the fruit of the plant.  I'm glad I don't have that (as far as I know!).

littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/9/2016, 6:26 pm

@yolos wrote:If you are interested, here is a good description of the pickleworm.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/W206.pdf

Oh wow!  Yuck!  Durn those buggers!

Julie, you are right! Those red and black fly things lay eggs I guess....so you just do really good fall hygiene and cover from the flying things?

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 1/9/2016, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the tulle cover question)

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/9/2016, 9:14 pm

That seems to work the best for me.  Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

littlesapphire

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 1/10/2016, 1:50 am

@littlesapphire wrote:That seems to work the best for me.  Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

I have avoided squash because of the dreaded squash bug here in texas.I don't seem to have a problem with the SVB. I can pick the eggs off and use heavy mineral oil in a spray bottle for the mature adult. The oil stops the adult male in it tracks, litearally. It will stop in whatever position it died in. It's weird to see. I got tired of searching for the eggs and bugs when the plant gets large, so this year I'm going to try raising my own nematodes. I haven't been able to fit it in my schedule all year. I was impressed from the video by living farm showing good pest control, stopping the larvae stage in the soil.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum