Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» to solarize, or not...I'm torn
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:54 am

» Jaffa's garden - year one
by TNGeezer Today at 6:53 am

» Please comment on the plant layout for 2017
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:45 am

» Mel's Mix shows it is worth its weight in gold
by TNGeezer Today at 6:44 am

» April 2015: What to plant in No. California/Central Valley area
by sanderson Today at 2:02 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:43 pm

» Pallet Wacking
by ralitaco Yesterday at 11:40 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?
by Jaffa55 Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by Jaffa55 Yesterday at 9:05 pm

» EWWWWW.........bugs and stuff...good or not so good?
by recoush Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Sub Irrigation Planter
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» cucumber beetles
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:48 pm

» New England April 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 7:17 pm

» N & C Midwest: April 2017!
by recoush Yesterday at 6:09 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 6:06 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by Greenbeard Yesterday at 5:09 pm

» First of the Season
by newbeone Yesterday at 4:49 pm

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by Turan Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» An excellent read for those with Diabetes
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 6:44 am

» Geezer's 17
by Turan Yesterday at 12:22 am

» Has anyone tried 13 per square?
by Turan Yesterday at 12:04 am

» Get Moving!
by StrongAsMeat 4/22/2017, 10:20 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by StrongAsMeat 4/22/2017, 10:14 pm

» Butterflies
by countrynaturals 4/22/2017, 4:36 pm

» Reading Material?
by TNGeezer 4/22/2017, 3:56 pm

» Hello from Chino, CA (Zone 10a)
by sanderson 4/22/2017, 3:00 pm

» Podding Radishes, Anyone?
by countrynaturals 4/22/2017, 2:48 pm

» who has chickens
by RC3291 4/22/2017, 2:00 pm

» April Avatar: Show Yourself!
by llama momma 4/22/2017, 1:22 pm

» Healthy Meals
by RoOsTeR 4/22/2017, 11:21 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Price friendly seeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Price friendly seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/3/2016, 8:29 pm

OK, know that I don't have much SF, so this site offered pretty decent prices compared to other seed companies:

http://www.superseeds.com/

Seed counts are low, but it is perfect for me who is experimenting with varieties. They were almost half what some other, more commercial seed producers are charging. They were out of the pepper I wanted. I will get the rest from Baker's.

It is an option!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4469
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  kamigh on 1/3/2016, 9:53 pm

I'll vouch for Pinetree Gardens seeds, for all the reasons you mentioned. Low prices, reasonable seed count, and overall good product.  This year I also bought some tomato seeds from mrtomatohead (you can google him). Low prices for heirloom tomato seeds. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't say anything about quality, but for a few dollars I'm willing to try.
avatar
kamigh

Posts : 57
Join date : 2013-10-19
Location : Flower Mound, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/3/2016, 11:05 pm

@kamigh wrote:I'll vouch for Pinetree Gardens seeds, for all the reasons you mentioned. Low prices, reasonable seed count, and overall good product.  This year I also bought some tomato seeds from mrtomatohead (you can google him). Low prices for heirloom tomato seeds. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't say anything about quality, but for a few dollars I'm willing to try.

Good! I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff I was going to get from Johnny's from Pinetree. Prices almost less than half! Some things were sold out or unavailable, so will probably get the rest locally and at Baker's. Glad to hear a testimonial, kamigh!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4469
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  littlesapphire on 1/4/2016, 11:04 am

I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.  It's the shipping with other companies that kills me.

I bought some seed packets from Walmart last year.  I can't remember what  brand they were, but they were organic seeds, mostly heirlooms.  They were only $1, and there were only a small number of seeds in the packet.  It was perfect for trying out some new varieties.  I tried cosmic purple carrots and chocolate cherry tomatoes, and loved them both.
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/4/2016, 6:36 pm

Nice site, LS! Thanks for sharing! I love the committment to non-GMO, and their prices were very competitive if not dead-on with Pinetree.

Also, I think I am going to order my sunflower seeds from them. I could buy them here locally at Walmart, or my nursery, but I like to support the small businesses that are doing things the right way. And I want a BUNCH of sunflowers! lol!

I didn't get one last year, put 3 or 4 packets in the ground as seeds, and GONE! Birds, or squirrels, no matter. Am going to start seedlings indoors and plant out when they are bigger.... sunny
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4469
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  CitizenKate on 1/4/2016, 10:50 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.
Thanks for the link LS - looks like a lot of unique and tasty varieties they have there!  I like the idea of buying smaller amounts, too.  I've got a whole box of seed packs with leftover seed from the last two years that will most likely age out before I can use them.  I can only start so many at a time, and I got a little carried away with buying seed last year.
geek
avatar
CitizenKate

Posts : 666
Join date : 2015-03-20
Location : Northeast KS, USA; Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  littlesapphire on 1/5/2016, 5:13 pm

@CitizenKate wrote:
@littlesapphire wrote:I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.
Thanks for the link LS - looks like a lot of unique and tasty varieties they have there!  I like the idea of buying smaller amounts, too.  I've got a whole box of seed packs with leftover seed from the last two years that will most likely age out before I can use them.  I can only start so many at a time, and I got a little carried away with buying seed last year.
geek

I have that problem too, Kate.  I like to try new varieties, but I only plant a tiny amount of seeds each year!  I'm totally addicted. 

Also, Scorpio and Kate, you're welcome for the link Smile I like to support High Mowing whenever I can.
avatar
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826
Join date : 2010-04-08
Age : 32
Location : Jamestown, NY (Zone 5a)

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/5/2016, 5:29 pm

Yes, I too am in the carried away camp, so as an SFGer, appreciate smaller quantities.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4469
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum