Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by rajmahendra Today at 2:49 am

» New England September 2016
by RJARPCGP Today at 12:11 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:53 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:10 pm

» mulching
by dstack Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» 1,000 worms on their way....
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 11:45 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:42 am

» Mid-Atl - Oct 2016 - Fall Garden 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 am

» When is a great time to start a garden? The Fall!
by MrBooker Yesterday at 6:05 am

» NEW ENGLAND OCT 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/24/2016, 10:02 pm

» leggy potatoes plants were started too early in the hous
by sanderson 9/24/2016, 8:31 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by llama momma 9/24/2016, 1:58 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Kelejan 9/24/2016, 12:49 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 9/24/2016, 8:08 am

» Mix for making soil blocks
by trolleydriver 9/24/2016, 7:54 am

» soil testing
by Kelejan 9/23/2016, 9:26 pm

» Kale Question
by countrynaturals 9/23/2016, 9:15 pm

» Terrible News: Bumblebees In Trouble
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:51 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by Scorpio Rising 9/23/2016, 8:49 pm

» A traditional German dish with a Fall twist.
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:38 pm

» Apparently Radishes Need Sun
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 6:22 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 9/23/2016, 5:49 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Price friendly seeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Price friendly seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/3/2016, 8:29 pm

OK, know that I don't have much SF, so this site offered pretty decent prices compared to other seed companies:

http://www.superseeds.com/

Seed counts are low, but it is perfect for me who is experimenting with varieties. They were almost half what some other, more commercial seed producers are charging. They were out of the pepper I wanted. I will get the rest from Baker's.

It is an option!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3446

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Price friendly seeds

Post  kamigh on 1/3/2016, 9:53 pm

I'll vouch for Pinetree Gardens seeds, for all the reasons you mentioned. Low prices, reasonable seed count, and overall good product.  This year I also bought some tomato seeds from mrtomatohead (you can google him). Low prices for heirloom tomato seeds. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't say anything about quality, but for a few dollars I'm willing to try.

kamigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/3/2016, 11:05 pm

@kamigh wrote:I'll vouch for Pinetree Gardens seeds, for all the reasons you mentioned. Low prices, reasonable seed count, and overall good product.  This year I also bought some tomato seeds from mrtomatohead (you can google him). Low prices for heirloom tomato seeds. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't say anything about quality, but for a few dollars I'm willing to try.

Good! I just ordered a whole bunch of stuff I was going to get from Johnny's from Pinetree. Prices almost less than half! Some things were sold out or unavailable, so will probably get the rest locally and at Baker's. Glad to hear a testimonial, kamigh!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/4/2016, 11:04 am

I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.  It's the shipping with other companies that kills me.

I bought some seed packets from Walmart last year.  I can't remember what  brand they were, but they were organic seeds, mostly heirlooms.  They were only $1, and there were only a small number of seeds in the packet.  It was perfect for trying out some new varieties.  I tried cosmic purple carrots and chocolate cherry tomatoes, and loved them both.

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/4/2016, 6:36 pm

Nice site, LS! Thanks for sharing! I love the committment to non-GMO, and their prices were very competitive if not dead-on with Pinetree.

Also, I think I am going to order my sunflower seeds from them. I could buy them here locally at Walmart, or my nursery, but I like to support the small businesses that are doing things the right way. And I want a BUNCH of sunflowers! lol!

I didn't get one last year, put 3 or 4 packets in the ground as seeds, and GONE! Birds, or squirrels, no matter. Am going to start seedlings indoors and plant out when they are bigger.... sunny

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate on 1/4/2016, 10:50 pm

@littlesapphire wrote:I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.
Thanks for the link LS - looks like a lot of unique and tasty varieties they have there!  I like the idea of buying smaller amounts, too.  I've got a whole box of seed packs with leftover seed from the last two years that will most likely age out before I can use them.  I can only start so many at a time, and I got a little carried away with buying seed last year.
geek

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire on 1/5/2016, 5:13 pm

@CitizenKate wrote:
@littlesapphire wrote:I do a lot of seed shopping at High Mowing Seeds.  The prices are about average, I think, and their hybrids can be pretty pricey.  However, their seeds are 100% organic, developed and tested for organic growers, and for growers in colder regions.  So the fact that you get all that for average prices is a worth it to me.  Plus, they have free shipping on all orders, even for garlic and potatoes, which is pretty cool.
Thanks for the link LS - looks like a lot of unique and tasty varieties they have there!  I like the idea of buying smaller amounts, too.  I've got a whole box of seed packs with leftover seed from the last two years that will most likely age out before I can use them.  I can only start so many at a time, and I got a little carried away with buying seed last year.
geek

I have that problem too, Kate.  I like to try new varieties, but I only plant a tiny amount of seeds each year!  I'm totally addicted. 

Also, Scorpio and Kate, you're welcome for the link Smile I like to support High Mowing whenever I can.

littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

View user profile http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/5/2016, 5:29 pm

Yes, I too am in the carried away camp, so as an SFGer, appreciate smaller quantities.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum