Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» California's Drought
by Kelejan Today at 2:40 am

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by sanderson Today at 1:16 am

» N & C Midwest; July 2017 !
by sanderson Today at 1:10 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?
by sanderson Today at 1:09 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:38 am

» Square footage
by RoOsTeR Today at 12:24 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by hammock gal Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 8:07 pm

» Just Completed my Garden.....What Should I Plant NOW!
by stealthmayhem Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:01 pm

» Your favorite watermelon and pumpkin
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» What Are These Little Guys?
by Fiz Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma Yesterday at 6:50 pm

» Tornado Cake
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Green Caterpillars
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 5:01 pm

» New England July 2017
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:27 pm

» What I've learned this year
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 2:05 pm

» Healthy Meals
by hammock gal Yesterday at 1:12 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:47 am

» Can I use a fabric pot for SFG?
by Fiz 7/20/2017, 11:48 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 7/20/2017, 10:25 pm

» PVC Watering Grid.
by CitizenKate 7/20/2017, 9:02 pm

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by CapeCoddess 7/20/2017, 4:17 pm

» Chive Omelet
by SQWIB 7/20/2017, 8:23 am

» Spots on rosemary/marigolds
by AlwaysHotinFL 7/19/2017, 5:27 pm

» applying square foot gardening to container gardening! help!
by CapeCoddess 7/19/2017, 4:50 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Kale & Parsnip Question

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kale & Parsnip Question

Post  sanderson on 9/26/2016, 12:28 pm

CN, You can direct (9/sq) sow parsnips now and they will be ready in the late spring (at least based on my experience).

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker on 9/26/2016, 1:22 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:Also, I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I had never tasted parsnips or Arugula until this spring. Man... what a treat they are. My research told me that parsnips would most likely winter over in my area so before I planted any, I asked my wife to buy some parsnips at Wal-Mart for a taste test. I was blown away by the sweet cinnamon taste. My grandson said, "Grampa, they taste like grandma's pumpkin pie". I have 18 squares of Parsnips planted and their doing great... I can't wait til after the first hard frost to dig'em up.  bounce
WOW! I had no idea. I thought parsnips were just another tasteless filler crop. I will DEFINITELY try them. Cool
Be sure to harvest AFTER a frost. Frost turns the starch into sugar.
MrBooker

Male Posts : 364

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

@MrBooker wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:Also, I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I had never tasted parsnips or Arugula until this spring. Man... what a treat they are. My research told me that parsnips would most likely winter over in my area so before I planted any, I asked my wife to buy some parsnips at Wal-Mart for a taste test. I was blown away by the sweet cinnamon taste. My grandson said, "Grampa, they taste like grandma's pumpkin pie". I have 18 squares of Parsnips planted and their doing great... I can't wait til after the first hard frost to dig'em up.  bounce
WOW! I had no idea. I thought parsnips were just another tasteless filler crop. I will DEFINITELY try them. Cool
Thanks, MrB. We don't always get frost, but I will remember. If Mother Nature doesn't cooperate, it will be just one more crop for the rabbit. (He is very accomodating.) Wink
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2170

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 11/4/2016, 7:47 pm

My Purple Sun carrots have been growing for 2 and a half times the days to maturity on the seed package (184/73 days). The Turga parsnips have been growing for about 1 and a half times (187/110). They were only sown 3 days apart, and I've been ignoring the parsnips figuring if the carrots are so far behind, there's no reason to figure the parsnips have accomplished much.

But I got curious and started digging around one of the 'snips tonight... and digging... and digging... based on the circumference I decided to harvest - I actually went and grabbed the trowel because even though it's in MM, it wasn't coming out with a gentle tug.
Comparison between the carrots and parsnip, with ye olde scissors for scale. Shocked

It's been through four frosts, but was still a little more starchy than sweet (but not tough!), so I'll leave the others awhile longer.  I'm thrilled about the parsnips, but very puzzled about what I did that was so awesome for parsnips but so unappreciated by the carrots. thinking
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/4/2016, 10:12 pm

Excess nitrogen is my knee jerk answer to under development of roots in favor of tops.  Usually, in MM, that isn't a problem, but I have used blood meal on occasion when I don't have enough homemade compost to supplement my beds.  More browns.  Leaves, straw, etc.

Happens to my beets and radishes too.  Maybe parsnips are less picky?  They are a survival crop, similar to potatoes.  So, maybe.
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4971

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 11/12/2016, 9:21 am

The carrot tops weren't very bushy -- the carrots were small at both ends. The more I think about it, the more I think the answer must be water. The original compost blend in both beds is the same, and I amended both sections with mushroom compost for the new season -- but the bed the parsnips are in was that first bed some of us have where we miss the part in the MM instructions about the peat moss expanding and so we end up with a peat-heavy mix that we try to correct, but it's still peatier than 1/3rd. I think that bed/mix held the moisture better than the ones the carrots were in. That peatier blend also held its shape better for when I partially hollowed out a square for leeks. The square filled in by itself, but at a nice slow rate such that the leek growth kept pace.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 11/12/2016, 3:49 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
Thanks, MrB. We don't always get frost, but I will remember. If Mother Nature doesn't cooperate, it will be just one more crop for the rabbit. (He is very accomodating.) Wink
  Try roasting the parsnips quartered length wise in a litle oilive oil , basting them every 10 minutes. when they are golden brown  serve with a meat  , hot golden roasted white potatoes , greens & gravy .

The act of roasting them makes then really quite soft & sweet ..they'll also  lose a lot of the floury state .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3699

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum