Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:01 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:00 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Today at 8:59 pm

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by countrynaturals Today at 8:41 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:41 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:37 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:03 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Winter's Coming!
by plantoid Today at 5:33 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:17 pm

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by plantoid Today at 5:02 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson Today at 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson Today at 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by Kelejan Today at 4:08 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson Today at 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 1:13 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by countrynaturals Today at 12:52 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 10:11 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:51 am

» Winter Gardens - Photos
by sanderson Today at 3:55 am

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Gnome Pumpkin Pie
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:22 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by trolleydriver 11/30/2016, 11:18 am

» putting your raised garden beds to bed for Winter
by jimmy cee 11/30/2016, 8:46 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Garden - Fayetteville GA, 2016

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFG Garden - Fayetteville GA, 2016

Post  yolos on 4/26/2016, 10:47 pm

I have a City Picker box which I believe is similar to an Earthbox.  I used it one time and never since.  I cannot understand how the wick of peat moss or anything else stays stacked  up in the corner.  Mine is on wheels and I would think that rolling it around or just roots would make the wick sink into the reservoir.  I almost felt like I should surround the wick to keep it inline and stacked up.

yolos

Female Posts : 2855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/27/2016, 9:44 am

@yolos wrote:I have a City Picker box which I believe is similar to an Earthbox.  I used it one time and never since.  I cannot understand how the wick of peat moss or anything else stays stacked  up in the corner.  Mine is on wheels and I would think that rolling it around or just roots would make the wick sink into the reservoir.  I almost felt like I should surround the wick to keep it inline and stacked up.
I hear what you're saying, Yolos, and I'll admit I had some skepticism about that part just working out on its own. My solution was a piece of burlap (possibly from a basmati rice bag) that I draped over the grid and down into the wells, before putting media in, with the thought that it would both reduce stuff getting into the reservoir, and help with wicking.

Windmere, I'll definitely add some more peat moss before getting things up and running. Thanks for the tip!

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 456

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 4/27/2016, 11:16 am

@yolos wrote:I have a City Picker box which I believe is similar to an Earthbox.  I used it one time and never since.  I cannot understand how the wick of peat moss or anything else stays stacked  up in the corner.  Mine is on wheels and I would think that rolling it around or just roots would make the wick sink into the reservoir.  I almost felt like I should surround the wick to keep it inline and stacked up.
Yolos and Beetle:

I intend to assemble a box this afternoon.  I will take photos of the steps I take.  I must deal with the lawn today though, so I can't guarantee photos today.  Smile

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 4/27/2016, 10:07 pm

My wife suggested that today I focus on my EarthBoxes instead of the lawn.  I liked that idea.  Wink

I overhauled four EarthBoxes today, and I'm going to post pictures of what I did.

After cleaning the box and removing sludge that has collected below the grill, I created my peat moss "wicks."

Next I added some peat moss and compost to the existing batch that was in the box.  I do the "does it hold its shape when you squeeze it, but crumble easily" test.  Mind you, I was truly eyeballing it.  The MM I had was very dry and almost sandy.  I guess I added compost too many times during too many seasons without checking if ratios were right.  We'll see what happens.

And then I just filled it up.  Below are photos of a boxes I did yesterday.  By the contrasting darker color of the MM, you can see that moisture is coming up as it should.

I put the sludge at the bottoms in the areas where our ornamental plants are.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/28/2016, 3:29 am

Good photos and explanations. Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12227

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/28/2016, 8:15 am

Thanks for the explanation Windmere.  I thought about putting the wicking soil in some panty hose to keep it all together.  I use my City Picker tub to grow lettuce during the cold months.  It is on wheels and I can roll it into the garage or my screened porch if we are getting a real cold snap. This year I may use it to vernalize (sp) some artichokes or get onions started.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 4/28/2016, 9:27 am

Thank you for the kind words Sanderson.  Smile

Sure thing yolos.  Your panty hose idea sounds ingenious, please let me know if it works well for you.  You are going to do artichokes?  That sounds wonderful!

EarthBoxes can also have optional wheels (there are holes on the bottom for them to be inserted).  Using your City Picker the way are for lettuce sounds like a great way to extend your lettuce season.

BTW, I had never heard of City Pickers until your first mention of them.  I checked them out on Home Depot website and I like the way they look.  EarthBox charges for extras like wheels.  They are overall cheaper than EarthBox, plus no shipping charge if I buy through Home Depot (that shaves another 10 bucks off what I'd pay buying from EarthBox).  I'll seriously consider this brand next time I want to expand.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/2/2016, 9:26 pm

Well, my time today was spent buying flowers with my wife and daughter, planting flowers purchased by my wife and daughter and finishing my own vegetable planting.  Honey-Do's, Daddy Do's and well, my own stuff.

My EarthBoxes are all completely overhauled and planted.  I have 13 this year:

This 4x4 was also completely overhauled:

My daughter's strawberry patch along with Mountain Gold and Kumato tomatoes (her choices this year).

My wife's tiered flowers (all in Mel's Mix):

My wife's color spot hanging basket, also filled with Mel's Mix (plus in the background you can see the bed my daughter and I prepared for more ornamental plants).

Lastly, I planted a rose for my daughter (Angel Face).  She saw it at Sam's Club on Wednesday and hid it just in case I approved.  Saturday we happened to go back, and they were half off because no one watered them.  And, low and behold, all the Angel Face roses were gone except the one my daughter hid.  Heh, heh.

It was too dark to take a picture of it, but it's just a bare root anyway.  Here's what it hopefully will look like:

I'm going to have to write off the garlic.  It's not going to make it.  So... another box to overhaul.

Last edited by Windmere on 5/2/2016, 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/2/2016, 9:33 pm

Looking good Windmere.  You have been a busy beaver.  Sorry about your garlic.  When we were harvesting leeks on Sunday, my grandson accidentally harvested one garlic that was right next to the leeks.  It looks healthy and was about the size of a ping pong ball.  So maybe they will make bulbs after all.  With this cool front moving in, that just may help.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/3/2016, 12:29 pm

Windmere

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12227

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/3/2016, 5:10 pm

@Windmere wrote:
I'm going to have to write off the garlic.  It's not going to make it.  So... another box to overhaul.
What do you mean???  It looked fine on the previous page.  Just needed a bit of compost topping.

That rose...ay yi yi!  Hope yours look just like that.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/4/2016, 10:25 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Windmere wrote:
What do you mean???  It looked fine on the previous page.  Just needed a bit of compost topping.

That rose...ay yi yi!  Hope yours look just like that.

CC
Alas CC, my garlic looks diseased below ground.  It figures... bugs tend to prefer to prey on sick plants.   That would explain why my garlic, which should be pretty impervious (and should really act as a bug repellent), has been attacked by aphids so badly.  I haven't uprooted it all yet, but I'm headed in that direction.  Frankly, I wasn't expecting that bed to free up so soon, so I don't have definite plans for it.

As for that rose... yeah, it's beautiful.  I think my daughter picked a great variety.   As of right now though, since it's a bare root, it's not much more than some sticks sticking out of the ground.  I have faith though, I've had some good success with bare root roses in the past, so I'm hopeful.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/11/2016, 10:38 am

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't go outside all day.  Today, when I watered, I noticed some interesting changes (ever find that when you don't look at your garden for a bit, suddenly things seemed to have grown "over night").

I'm going to do a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" post about my tomatoes.

This photo was taken April 23rd and was posted the next day:

This photo was taken this morning:

Shocked cheers 

I have some high hopes.  For their age, these plants are a lot better than any I've ever raised in the past. 

I'm going to try to remember I few things I did that were different.  1)  The tomatoes were planted right next to the peat moss wicks of the EarthBox - per manufacturer directions.  2)  The MM has a higher concentration of peat moss. - peat moss recommendation from manufacturer.   3)  I supplemented my MM with blood meal and azomite (personal choice).  4)  For one of my compost components, I exclusively used Wiggle Worm castings instead of mixing with EB Stone (which I've noticed to be consistently drier and sandier).  5)  I rubbed the rims of all the boxes with a layer of pure neem oil.  So far, no bugs to speak of.

I'm not recommending any of those things, this is more like a diary entry for me to help me remember stuff.

And this is what I just discovered in that asparagus patch I created from root bound crowns:

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/11/2016, 11:21 am

WOW! Mine aren't growing nearly that fast. What are your night time temps?

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1053

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/11/2016, 2:49 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:WOW! Mine aren't growing nearly that fast. What are your night time temps?
I think for a moment there we had some temps in the 50's.  Lately though, temps in the 60's.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/11/2016, 3:07 pm

@Windmere wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:WOW! Mine aren't growing nearly that fast. What are your night time temps?
I think for a moment there we had some temps in the 50's.  Lately though, temps in the 60's.
Thanks. We're still in the low to mid 50s at night, so that explains some of it. Discovering that most of mine are dwarf varieties explains the rest. Embarassed

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 5/11/2016, 7:20 pm

That is great progress with the maters. I am amazed at how much things can change with the plants overnight or in a matter of weeks.
I had gone out one night and checked my tromboncino seeds and nothing...about 36 hours later, I had a plant about 1.5" tall. As for the tomato plants, I had a similar growth spurt over about a 3 week period...nothing, nothing, BIG PLANTS!!!! It is absolutely amazing to me

ralitaco

Male Posts : 758

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/12/2016, 8:19 am

Looking good Windmere.  I can't believe how fast your tomatoes are growing.  What are you feeding them.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/12/2016, 11:06 am

@yolos wrote:Looking good Windmere.  I can't believe how fast your tomatoes are growing.  What are you feeding them.
I can't believe it either yolos.  Here's my compost mix this year:  Black Kow (Lowe's or HD), Cotton Compost (Swint's), Mushroom Compost (Swint's), Chicken Compost (Swint's), Worm Castings (Wiggle Worm from Amazon), a very healthy portion of blood meal (Down to Earth from Amazon) and a dash of Azomite (generic from Amazon).  Hmm... sounds like I'm baking a compost cake, ha ha.  Anyway, that's my formula this year.

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 5/14/2016, 11:11 am

@Windmere wrote:Anyway, that's my formula this year.
Well it certainly appears to be working

ralitaco

Male Posts : 758

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 5/15/2016, 7:27 am

Yes, it does! Congratulations, Windmere!

Neem oil on the box rims.... hmmmmm.....

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3763

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on 5/17/2016, 1:45 pm

A fresh canvas of MM.  The peat level on this bed was WAY off.  Too much adding of compost without properly adjusting the rest peat.  I guess it gradually degrades?

I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so this took me about three hours to do... it was good exercise though:

Look!  I have some Anaheim chile!

I posted pics of my tomatoes on the Tomato Tuesday thread.

Last edited by Windmere on 5/17/2016, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : slew of typos)

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/17/2016, 4:57 pm

Lookin' good, Windmere! sunny We just finished building the garden gate and I'm pooped. It's gonna be 92 this afternoon, so I may not get off the couch until it's time to water this evening. I took my Tomato Tuesday pics this am, so I'll post those, later.  Cool

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

First week of June 2016

Post  Windmere on 6/5/2016, 9:38 am

We've been out-of-town for a bit, and then I needed a vacation from our vacation... so no posts or responses for a bit.  I'm not ignoring folks... honestly!

Friends and neighbors watered for me while we were gone...  so my garden survived.

Here is a 4x4 with tomatoes, chives and sweet peppers (and a few strawberries).  My peppers and strawberries got a bit of a haircut due to dear repellent wearing off:

Some of my tomatoes have yellow leaves... and of course I'm paranoid about blight.  We'll see what happens:

My daughter's patch is doing great:

I just had to show you my gardenias.  For the first time I properly fertilized at the right time (using organic fertilizer):

Windmere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/5/2016, 11:37 am

@Windmere wrote:
Some of my tomatoes have yellow leaves... and of course I'm paranoid about blight.  We'll see what happens:

Windmere - I enlarged this photo and that doesn't look like blight.  Over/Under water or nutrient/fertilizer deficiency maybe.

yolos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum