Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Shreveport Garden 2017
by katjohn83 Today at 8:37 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:55 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:44 pm

» Forum Poll: Social Media
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:34 pm

» EMT Clips
by sanderson Today at 6:51 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 4:24 pm

» Baker Creek's Seed Bank Store in Petaluma, CA
by sanderson Today at 4:18 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 4:02 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 3:18 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by Kelejan Today at 3:04 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:07 am

» 2017 Burpee seeds are already on display at HD
by trolleydriver Today at 8:57 am

» Making Smoothies
by sanderson Today at 12:45 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Food Dehydrators
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» Green Ice Leaf Lettuce
by MrBooker Yesterday at 4:46 am

» New England January 2017
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2017, 10:11 pm

» Gardening Australia
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2017, 10:05 pm

» New Forum Feature
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2017, 9:56 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by yolos 1/19/2017, 9:45 pm

» Hi from Acworth GA
by AtlantaMarie 1/19/2017, 9:40 pm

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 1/19/2017, 6:14 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 1/19/2017, 5:46 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by has55 1/19/2017, 3:32 am

» heirloom seed companies around a lot of the world
by ralitaco 1/18/2017, 10:58 pm

» What about ink on newspaper and cardboard for mulch?
by Scorpio Rising 1/18/2017, 9:23 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan 1/18/2017, 7:20 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 1/18/2017, 9:23 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco 1/17/2017, 11:23 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:49 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  CitizenKate on 4/24/2016, 11:40 pm

Hmmm, silver stuff...  thinking What seed company are they from? Is it on all the different kinds you have?

The temperature in your basement is just about right.  Maybe germination performance varies by the variety, but I would have expected to see more variation between the different kinds that you started.  I just started another 16 to get a dozen new plants, and I had 11 of my dozen with root tails in two days, and the 12th on day 3.  But I grow mostly Bloomsdale - it's what's most commonly available in the stores here.  I'll have to try another variety or two.

CitizenKate

Posts : 549
Join date : 2015-03-20
Location : Northeast KS, USA; Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  yolos on 4/24/2016, 11:45 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:I'm giving up on spinach, not because it didn't grow, they did nicely this season due to Kate's  program. I can sit and devour a ton of spinach. I love it, always have and always will...Having 5 beds, with just under 200 squares I want to devote my planting to a more robust crop. A large bowl of spinach cooks up into about 1/2 cup. I'll buy mine at the market...kohlrabi's are crunchier...
I agree.  When you just barely cook it it shrivels up to almost nothing.  But I also use it in a salad and then it is worth growing.  Especially since it survives the winter here fairly well.  The bed would be empty over winter if I did not plant the spinach so what the heck.  It is bolting now just in time to plant some cucs in that bed or maybe some sweet potatoes (haven't figured that out yet).  And will be a nice addition to my compost pile.

yolos

Female Posts : 2908
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  jimmy cee on 4/25/2016, 7:28 am

@yolos wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote:I'm giving up on spinach, not because it didn't grow, they did nicely this season due to Kate's  program. I can sit and devour a ton of spinach. I love it, always have and always will...Having 5 beds, with just under 200 squares I want to devote my planting to a more robust crop. A large bowl of spinach cooks up into about 1/2 cup. I'll buy mine at the market...kohlrabi's are crunchier...
I agree.  When you just barely cook it it shrivels up to almost nothing.  But I also use it in a salad and then it is worth growing.  Especially since it survives the winter here fairly well.  The bed would be empty over winter if I did not plant the spinach so what the heck.  It is bolting now just in time to plant some cucs in that bed or maybe some sweet potatoes (haven't figured that out yet).  And will be a nice addition to my compost pile.
Yolos
That's a great idea, I never considered, will try it as a cover crop when all is done in fall.  I'll never do another rye cover crop again.I flooded the beds with rye grain seeds and it grew beautifully, however in spring  there was so much growth in roots, I am just about finished getting it out..

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1869
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  yolos on 4/25/2016, 7:45 am

@jimmy cee wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote:I'm giving up on spinach, not because it didn't grow, they did nicely this season due to Kate's  program. I can sit and devour a ton of spinach. I love it, always have and always will...Having 5 beds, with just under 200 squares I want to devote my planting to a more robust crop. A large bowl of spinach cooks up into about 1/2 cup. I'll buy mine at the market...kohlrabi's are crunchier...
I agree.  When you just barely cook it it shrivels up to almost nothing.  But I also use it in a salad and then it is worth growing.  Especially since it survives the winter here fairly well.  The bed would be empty over winter if I did not plant the spinach so what the heck.  It is bolting now just in time to plant some cucs in that bed or maybe some sweet potatoes (haven't figured that out yet).  And will be a nice addition to my compost pile.
Yolos
That's a great idea, I never considered, will try it as a cover crop when all is done in fall.  I'll never do another rye cover crop again.I flooded the beds with rye grain seeds and it grew beautifully, however in spring  there was so much growth in roots, I am just about finished getting it out..
I had the same problem this year with the rye.  Way over seeded and have had to keep turning and hacking the roots.  But it now has a lot of worms and after a month of sitting it is finally ready to plant.  Last year I did not seed quite as heavily and was easy to turn under.  Lesson learned.

yolos

Female Posts : 2908
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/25/2016, 8:47 am

@CitizenKate wrote:Hmmm, silver stuff...  thinking  What seed company are they from?  Is it on all the different kinds you have?

The temperature in your basement is just about right.  Maybe germination performance varies by the variety, but I would have expected to see more variation between the different kinds that you started.  I just started another 16 to get a dozen new plants, and I had 11 of my dozen with root tails in two days, and the 12th on day 3.  But I grow mostly Bloomsdale - it's what's most commonly available in the stores here.  I'll have to try another variety or two.
It looks like the silver stuff is on the two hybrid varieties from High Mowing organic seeds, but not on the open-pollinated variety I have, and not on the two varieties from Pinetree seeds. The Space seeds have some nubbins this morning Smile , but I'm still not seeing anything on the others.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 543
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/28/2016, 10:32 pm

I'm still trying to figure this out.  I know it should work -- I've had both cold stratification and scarification work before on other seed types. I want to it to work for me -- and others who might attempt it and have it not work well on the first try. At this  point I've had germination on and sown: 90% of the Regiment, 2/3rds of the Space and Renegade, 1/3rd of the Dash, and none of the Butterflay. The basement has been nearly steady at 59oF - briefly went down to 57 when we had a low of 40.

My fridge is at 36 according to my best reading of the non-digital thermometer.
So could it be my hydrogen peroxide? It still fizzes, but apparently has an expiration date of 06/15.

Relative to the silvery stuff, the High Mowing site says "Some of the varieties we carry receive an organic film coating applied to the seed, which make the seed easier to see during planting." So I don't know what it is, beyond organic.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 543
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  CitizenKate on 4/28/2016, 11:38 pm

Do you see any discoloration while they're in the paper towels? If so, that would probably indicate some kind of fungus. That also usually comes with an off odor. The H2O2 is supposed to suppress fungi, but I've still had it appear on some occasions, and once I see it, I chuck the entire batch and start over.

CitizenKate

Posts : 549
Join date : 2015-03-20
Location : Northeast KS, USA; Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/28/2016, 11:55 pm

No odd smells, or fuzziness, or discoloration of the seeds (yet), but there's a little pink/red discoloration of the paper towels in the corners where I've handled them - probably either Serratia marcescens bacteria or a yeast.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 543
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  CitizenKate on 4/29/2016, 12:58 am

I've seen that before, too, and I don't worry about it if it isn't really close to where the seeds are. At any rate, I think we can rule out a problem with the H2O2. It sounds like everything is just about right.

So you got 90% germination with the Regiment, but not as good germination with the others? That would rule out most factors in your environment and procedure you're following, so I wonder if the other varieties just require different temperatures... I took a look at the producers' growing info on the Renegade and Dash varieties, and found the Renegade likes slightly warmer temperatures than the Regiment. Dash likes it cooler.

CitizenKate

Posts : 549
Join date : 2015-03-20
Location : Northeast KS, USA; Zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems getting spinach seeds to sprout? Try this...

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum