Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What about ink on newspaper and cardboard for mulch?
by trolleydriver Today at 12:52 pm

» heirloom seed companies around a lot of the world
by trolleydriver Today at 10:30 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 10:22 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 9:33 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» New England January 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 9:20 am

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by trolleydriver Today at 8:53 am

» California's Drought
by Mellen Today at 8:17 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:13 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Gardening Australia
by IrishDigger Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Anyone want walking onions??
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» How much to plant?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:48 pm

» January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:22 pm

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:49 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:44 pm

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:34 pm

» Crop rotation
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Creamy Basil Pesto
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:46 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:02 am

» Zera (TM) Food Recycler - kitchen composting
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:40 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 8:48 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 1/16/2017, 11:37 pm

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 1/16/2017, 11:35 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic X: Marigolds
by MeghanSTL 1/16/2017, 9:12 pm

» Winter Rye Grass
by camprn 1/16/2017, 6:31 pm

» Crop Rotation Involving Nightshades
by Turan 1/16/2017, 4:23 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  jimmy cee on 3/25/2016, 7:11 am

@reynajrainwater wrote:I knew I should have read the book before setting up my box. I put 5 holes in each square. 
study

Amount of holes on bottom isn't a concern as long as there is some sort of barrier keeping the mix contained.
I have 1/4 inch spacing in my beds flooring with five 1/4"  holes in each square..better to have to much drainage than not enough

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1869
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/25/2016, 10:40 am

@jimmy cee wrote:Amount of holes on bottom isn't a concern as long as there is some sort of barrier keeping the mix contained.
I have 1/4 inch spacing in my beds flooring with five 1/4"  holes in each square..better to have to much drainage than not enough
That's a good point. If the beds were on the ground, I guess most of the water would seep into to soil beneath the MM anyway, right? So extra holes really shouldn't matter.

JC, I know you didn't use plywood, what size 2x's did you use?

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/25/2016, 11:55 am

Hello Mikki,

I've read through all of this thread and I want to say that you've done some amazing work!  I noticed some talk about chicken compost.  First, it really should have an "earthy smell" and not a "stinky smell."  That's pretty much true of any compost.  Second, I agree with yolos about the EB Stone chicken compost that Pike used to sell.  I miss that stuff.  However, at the feed store yolos also goes to, they sell a pretty good substitute.  It's Farmer's Organic brand.  I just checked with the store, and they sell 20 quarts for 5.99.  If you ever get to the Jonesboro area, you might want to think about stopping at Swint's.

Here's a photo of a bag I have laying in my messy garage (notice that in the gold star it saws "pleasant earthy smell.")



Last edited by Windmere on 3/25/2016, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/25/2016, 2:06 pm

So, the bagged stuff from Black hen and Black cow, isn't really compost?
Can/should it be added to the compost pile to break down?

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/25/2016, 2:12 pm

@ralitaco wrote:So, the bagged stuff from Black hen and Black cow, isn't really compost?
Can/should it be added to the compost pile to break down?
No. no, Black Hen and Black Kow are definitely compost.  Yeah, they sometimes have an odor.  However, they are hit and miss.  I've never had consistently odor free bags.  You can still use them.  Just beware of a super sharp smell (don't know how to exactly describe it).  If there's that sharp smell, roots could get burned.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/25/2016, 3:20 pm

@Windmere wrote:
@ralitaco wrote:So, the bagged stuff from Black hen and Black cow, isn't really compost?
Can/should it be added to the compost pile to break down?
No. no, Black Hen and Black Kow are definitely compost.  Yeah, they sometimes have an odor.  However, they are hit and miss.  I've never had consistently odor free bags.  You can still use them.  Just beware of a super sharp smell (don't know how to exactly describe it).  If there's that sharp smell, roots could get burned.
I was vacuuming right now and I remembered the word I was looking for:  Ammonia!  If you EVER smell ammonia, keep moving... it will severely damage you plants.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/25/2016, 4:26 pm

Thanks Windmere, I definitely know that smell. I used some last season, maybe that's why my cukes got...dang, can't remember...maybe I should go vacuum. Very Happy

If there is that smell or if I just have extra, throwing it in the pile would be fine, right?

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  sanderson on 3/25/2016, 4:32 pm

rofl

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12641
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  jimmy cee on 3/25/2016, 7:20 pm

@ralitaco wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote:Amount of holes on bottom isn't a concern as long as there is some sort of barrier keeping the mix contained.
I have 1/4 inch spacing in my beds flooring with five 1/4"  holes in each square..better to have to much drainage than not enough
That's a good point. If the beds were on the ground, I guess most of the water would seep into to soil beneath the MM anyway, right? So extra holes really shouldn't matter.

JC, I know you didn't use plywood, what size 2x's did you use?
If you mean the bed floor ? I used deck planking...

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1869
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/25/2016, 8:11 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:If you mean the bed floor ? I used deck planking...
Yep that's what I meant. Thanks

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Mellen on 3/25/2016, 8:16 pm

Would this count as 2?  This is what I can pick up at our local biomass facility in Visalia:  "...a blend of Dairy Manure Compost and GreenWaste Compost. "


I'm having trouble determining what are "5 parts".  Worm castings & mushroom compost:  is this different than "compost" or included under that umbrella?  One of the items Sanderson lists is family compost.  I don't have any yet, having just built (from pallets) my compost enclosure a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have anything dry this time of year so am going to purchase a shredder and start adding the paper to the pile.  Sigh....so many details about which I know NOTHING!  Has anyone ever heard the expression "shoot & holler...."   Very Happy

Mellen

Female Posts : 95
Join date : 2016-03-20
Age : 67
Location : Visalia CA-Zone 9b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/25/2016, 8:41 pm

@Mellen wrote:Would this count as 2?  This is what I can pick up at our local biomass facility in Visalia:  "...a blend of Dairy Manure Compost and GreenWaste Compost. "


I'm having trouble determining what are "5 parts".  Worm castings & mushroom compost:  is this different than "compost" or included under that umbrella?  One of the items Sanderson lists is family compost.  I don't have any yet, having just built (from pallets) my compost enclosure a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have anything dry this time of year so am going to purchase a shredder and start adding the paper to the pile.  Sigh....so many details about which I know NOTHING!  Has anyone ever heard the expression "shoot & holler...."   Very Happy
I am no expert but I would say yes, that counts as 2 - manure is 1 and the green waste is 2. Then the mushroom would be 3 and the worm poop 4. If that is all you can find, you will be good to go. And if you find another source later, all the better.

The idea for the 5 parts is to get a variety of nutrients based on the various compost ingredients. e.g. - the nutrients in cow manure are going to be different that the nutrients from the green waste (plants).

btw - JimmyCee says Teaming with Microbes is a must read if you are doing your own composting.

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  sanderson on 3/25/2016, 9:41 pm

Mellen, I'm agreeing with ralitaco that you have 4 sources of compost. Your Home Depot should also have Ecoscraps Compost that has a veggie source. Also, Whole Foods occasionally has a veggie based compost - and the price is reasonable!!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12641
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/25/2016, 10:48 pm

@ralitaco wrote:Thanks Windmere, I definitely know that smell. I used some last season, maybe that's why my cukes got...dang, can't remember...maybe I should go vacuum. Very Happy

If there is that smell or if I just have extra, throwing it in the pile would be fine, right?
That vacuum comment made me chuckle.  Yes, I think it would be fine to put it in your pile (just be sure it's fully composted before using it).

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/26/2016, 12:15 am

Walked past the vacuum...it was damping off

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  jimmy cee on 3/26/2016, 8:02 am

@Mellen wrote:Would this count as 2?  This is what I can pick up at our local biomass facility in Visalia:  "...a blend of Dairy Manure Compost and GreenWaste Compost. "


I'm having trouble determining what are "5 parts".  Worm castings & mushroom compost:  is this different than "compost" or included under that umbrella?  One of the items Sanderson lists is family compost.  I don't have any yet, having just built (from pallets) my compost enclosure a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have anything dry this time of year so am going to purchase a shredder and start adding the paper to the pile.  Sigh....so many details about which I know NOTHING!  Has anyone ever heard the expression "shoot & holler...."   Very Happy

When I first started SFG 33 years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about composting, ( gardening ) also for that matter.
I decided the  best way to learn is by reading, studying, and doing...
I will suggest this book, or others similar for information that some may not be aware of.. I'll never know it all, however, after reading a few times it does sort of sink in with me..

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1869
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 81
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/26/2016, 9:40 am

Thanks Jimmy, I will have to look for that book too.

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/26/2016, 10:54 am

@ralitaco wrote:Walked past the vacuum...it was damping off
Shocked
Never saw a vacuum do that. Wish mine would.
Do they keel over?

CapeCoddess

Posts : 5436
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 60
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/26/2016, 9:34 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@ralitaco wrote:Walked past the vacuum...it was damping off
Shocked
Never saw a vacuum do that.  Wish mine would.
Do they keel over?
Oh dear, what have we started?  Ha ha.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Windmere on 3/26/2016, 9:35 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:
@Mellen wrote:Would this count as 2?  This is what I can pick up at our local biomass facility in Visalia:  "...a blend of Dairy Manure Compost and GreenWaste Compost. "


I'm having trouble determining what are "5 parts".  Worm castings & mushroom compost:  is this different than "compost" or included under that umbrella?  One of the items Sanderson lists is family compost.  I don't have any yet, having just built (from pallets) my compost enclosure a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have anything dry this time of year so am going to purchase a shredder and start adding the paper to the pile.  Sigh....so many details about which I know NOTHING!  Has anyone ever heard the expression "shoot & holler...."   Very Happy

When I first started SFG 33 years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about composting, ( gardening ) also for that matter.
I decided the  best way to learn is by reading, studying, and doing...
I will suggest this book, or others similar for information that some may not be aware of.. I'll never know it all, however, after reading a few times it does sort of sink in with me..
Jimmy, a friend of mine got a first edition of this book after his grandmother died.  It is indeed amazing and I'd like to get my hands on a copy.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425
Join date : 2013-02-26
Age : 48
Location : Fayetteville, GA - Zone 7B - 8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  ralitaco on 3/26/2016, 10:47 pm

@Windmere wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@ralitaco wrote:Walked past the vacuum...it was damping off
Shocked
Never saw a vacuum do that.  Wish mine would.
Do they keel over?
Oh dear, what have we started?  Ha ha.

lol! funny post

ralitaco

Male Posts : 765
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  sanderson on 3/27/2016, 1:52 am

Razz

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12641
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mels Mix shopping list. Help?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:12 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum